(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png
There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 46.
#1551 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Does this work even if 4 machines are in play at the same time on the same sub ?

That I don't know for sure but SGSA from Pinnovators can help clarify that.

#1552 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Wow.
Pretty cool... Does this work even if 4 machines are in play at the same time on the same sub ?

Hello. I thought I'd chime in with info from our website...

What happens when two or more machines are being used at the same time?

The sounds from the machines will come out of the subwoofer at the same time. It's ok to have a few games playing at the same time. The sound may become muddled if four machines are playing at the same time. That being said, if you have a separate subwoofer on each machine the sound still mixes together (in the air) and becomes muddled also.

https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/pages/pinsmx-faq

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

We guarantee everything we sell. So if for some reason you purchased it and were not happy we would refund you no problem.

Thank you.

~Sandra

#1553 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Don’t forget it is a 30 year old cheap wood cabinet. If the sub woofer is too big, don’t think it will help. Best solution is an external sub as suggested. I like the idea of external speakers as well.

I am trying to avoid using an external sub. Not a big fan of having those under the pin, but I understand why others like that. It is an easier solution.

I do have to reinforce this cabinet since the bottom was damaged. I want to try a larger speaker. Since I know that 8" works well in LOTR, how about 10". Maybe not, but testing will tell.

BTW, I end up in rants with the misuse of the term 'subwoofer'. Subwoofers were developed to reproduce sub-sonics. Usually this meant below ~50Hz, the stuff we feel not hear. Typically that is down to 20 Hz or even lower. The lower priced 'subs' don't reproduce those frequencies. They are woofers and work much better than the speaker in the pin cabinet and do dramatically improve the sound. But you are not going to get a true sub for a low price. - Rant over......

#1554 3 years ago

Someone was asking about Pinsound levels I use on my card for All Who orchestration.

68251F78-5FB2-4D27-8CC7-1C4132D242B7 (resized).jpeg68251F78-5FB2-4D27-8CC7-1C4132D242B7 (resized).jpeg
#1555 3 years ago
Quoted from SGSA:

Hello. I thought I'd chime in with info from our website...
What happens when two or more machines are being used at the same time?
The sounds from the machines will come out of the subwoofer at the same time. It's ok to have a few games playing at the same time. The sound may become muddled if four machines are playing at the same time. That being said, if you have a separate subwoofer on each machine the sound still mixes together (in the air) and becomes muddled also.
https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/pages/pinsmx-faq
If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.
We guarantee everything we sell. So if for some reason you purchased it and were not happy we would refund you no problem.
Thank you.
~Sandra

Thank you ..and good point... Your product seems pretty cool.

#1556 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

External powered sub is key.. I score them,all the time at goodwill stores for 5 to,10 bucks...i have 1 on all my machines...

Out of curiosity, what are you finding at Goodwill stores? I got my computer speaker setup from a Goodwill store about 8 years ago. It is a reasonably good Altec Lansing. Although I would never confuse it with a good sound system, it was quite an improvement of the system I had before.

#1557 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Someone was asking about Pinsound levels I use on my card for All Who orchestration.[quoted image]

Thanks for that!

It looks like maybe a 1+ on the Sub Booster, 2 on the Sub Base 12+ on the Eq Bass, 2+ on the Medium and Treble? A little hard to tell with the photo being off from straight on a little bit.

#1558 3 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

Thanks for that!
It looks like maybe a 1+ on the Sub Booster, 2 on the Sub Base 12+ on the Eq Bass, 2+ on the Medium and Treble? A little hard to tell with the photo being off from straight on a little bit.

Using a clock face, most are between 2-3pm with the exception of EQ Bass which is about 1pm. I think it also depends on headphone station volume and game volume settings. To change the overall volumes of the game. This would be personal preference. Not saying this is optimal, I just like this setting for my all Who orchestration.

Be interested to know what others are setting their Pinsound cards at for each orchestration.

#1559 3 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

Out of curiosity, what are you finding at Goodwill stores? I got my computer speaker setup from a Goodwill store about 8 years ago. It is a reasonably good Altec Lansing. Although I would never confuse it with a good sound system, it was quite an improvement of the system I had before.

I have a few rca ..even found a bose for 6 bucks
. I like the single rca hook up ..
Then gator clips to the cab speaker..
Once I bought one I ran out and bought 6 more over time.
Even 1 in my shop while working on games...

#1560 3 years ago

Could not be happier with my alternate translight from retro refurbs... Very cool.. Pinsound is killer once I get it ironed out . stil killer as it is...
The kids are alright cab art next from retro returns...
Have to stil instal my cliffys protectors amd new mirror decals and instal chads code.. Sinking some coin in this one but its a keeper...

1029202000a_HDR (resized).jpg1029202000a_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20201029_200521_547 (resized).jpgIMG_20201029_200521_547 (resized).jpg
#1561 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Could not be happier with my alternate translight from retro refurbs... Very cool.. Pinsound is killer once I get it ironed out . stil killer as it is...
The kids are alright cab art next from retro returns...
Have to stil instal my cliffys protectors amd new mirror decals and instal chads code.. Sinking some coin in this one but its a keeper...
[quoted image][quoted image]

I would upgrade to COLORDMD or PIN2DMD if the conversion file is available. PIN2DMD is much cheaper option, maybe less than $200US. It looks great on the Tommy. Have you converted to LEDs behind the translite yet? Makes the colors pop. On the translite I had made, the bottom picture of Roger looks 3-D. Not sure how the Retro one looks?
43FC88A5-AB3B-4F60-ADF1-AFE458ACE278 (resized).png43FC88A5-AB3B-4F60-ADF1-AFE458ACE278 (resized).png

#1562 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I would upgrade to COLORDMD or PIN2DMD if the conversion file is available. PIN2DMD is much cheaper option, maybe less than $200US. It looks great on the Tommy. Have you converted to LEDs behind the translite yet? Makes the colors pop. On the translite I had made, the bottom picture of Roger looks 3-D. Not sure how the Retro one looks?
[quoted image]

Have a link,for the color dmd ?

#1564 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Have a link,for the color dmd ?

We have a guy locally in Toronto that sells the PIN2DMD for $250 CDN (around $190US). Much better price than colordmd. But there has to be a conversion file for Tommy or it's not worth it. Must be someone local that sells PIN2DMD in your area. Worth checking.

#1565 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

We have a guy locally in Toronto that sells the PIN2DMD for $250 CDN (around $190US). Much better price than colordmd. But there has to be a conversion file for Tommy or it's not worth it. Must be someone local that sells PIN2DMD in your area. Worth checking.

Conversion file ? Rom ?

#1566 3 years ago

Still having trouble with my Tommy service / diag switches.

I can get it to the menu but the latching switch does not work so making adjustments is impossiable.

The switch is good so must be a broken wire or the connector in the backbox.

These are dedicated switches, does anyone know which backbox connector they go into?

#1567 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Using a clock face, most are between 2-3pm with the exception of EQ Bass which is about 1pm. I think it also depends on headphone station volume and game volume settings. To change the overall volumes of the game. This would be personal preference. Not saying this is optimal, I just like this setting for my all Who orchestration.
Be interested to know what others are setting their Pinsound cards at for each orchestration.

This is what I have set for mine. I am fairly happy with the sound (I am a picky but frustrated audiophile). One think I noticed is that the high end is much better heard while bending over. I need to see if I can tilt the tweeters.

I would like to crank up the bass / woofer or whatever settings a bit more. But during a sound effect (explosion or something) the speaker or amp clips. I played with the backbox open and noticed that the green light on the card flickers. Not sure what color it goes to, but it could be detecting clipping. And yes, I have the 'power booster' hooked up and confirmed that the +12 V is running ~+19 V DC.

So, eventually, I will go into the extremely well done sound mix and play with the amplitude of whatever that sound effect is. When I dial it back, I can then crank up the overall bass.

Sub Booster - 11:30
EQ Sub Bass - 2
EQ Bass - 12
EQ Medium - 11
EQ Treble - 4

IMG_0077 (resized).jpgIMG_0077 (resized).jpg
#1568 3 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

I can get it to the menu but the latching switch does not work so making adjustments is impossiable.
These are dedicated switches, does anyone know which backbox connector they go into?

CN14.

You say the switch is good. Did you try jumpering the switch?

Both switches use the same wire, white, from CN14-2.
Step uses CN14-3 - Green.
Forward/Reverse uses CN14-4 - Blue.

There are a few connectors in between.

I got this off of page 62 in the manual.

My Tommy pin has had a hard life and was cobbled together prior to my picking it up. The manual calls these coin door switches. Are your's mounted on the coin door? Mine are mounted on the cabinet just inside the coin door.

#1569 3 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Looks like they go through a 14pin connector and then on to CN14, a 4 pin connector. Colors are black/red, white, green, blue.

The blk/red, white wires go to the memory lock switch. Is it possible that switch is not working?

#1570 3 years ago

I decided to dive into setting up my own shaker setup on Tommy. On the surface, it is easy, but there is a learning curve. My first attempt ended up with the shaker so mild, that I could not tell most of the time when it was running.

I have the shaker setting on the board on the lowest setting, which was too strong on the 'factory' setting, so I will play with that.

One of my goals is to have the shaker running when the props on the plane are running - which was the original DE plan. Since this shaker is set off by sounds, I guess I have to associate a sound with every time the props turn on.

If anyone has a hint to have the shaker run continuously on a low rumble every time the props are turning, please let me know.

#1571 3 years ago

Ok whats the deal with setting up this machine with a stern Auto launch set up ?
What's needed?
How's the instal ?
Any links or part numbers?
Thank you....

#1572 3 years ago

More work on tommy tonight....

1103202220_HDR (resized).jpg1103202220_HDR (resized).jpg1103202220a_HDR (resized).jpg1103202220a_HDR (resized).jpg1103202221_HDR (resized).jpg1103202221_HDR (resized).jpg1103202221a_HDR (resized).jpg1103202221a_HDR (resized).jpg1103202221b_HDR (resized).jpg1103202221b_HDR (resized).jpg1103202222_HDR (resized).jpg1103202222_HDR (resized).jpg
#1573 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

One cheap upgrade I would recommend is the speaker panel lighting. I think they go for $45US with remote and multiple colors to choose from. One thing I plan to do once the border opens up again.

#1574 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

One cheap upgrade I would recommend is the speaker panel lighting. I think they go for $45US with remote and multiple colors to choose from. One thing I plan to do once the border opens up again.

I did the speakers on my star trek data east..very sharp

#1575 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I would recommend is the speaker panel lighting.

Link?

#1577 3 years ago

Thanks for helping me spend more money! These look awesome.

#1578 3 years ago

Hey Tommy fans! I've wanted this pinball machine since it first came out and I was a little kid in the 90's I found one in a local place near my house and played it every chance I got. I never forgot about it and anytime I saw a pinball arcade as an adult I always looked for Tommy as quick as I could. It's just such a fun box to play and with the easy multiballs and the awesome soundtrack I couldn't keep away.

I finally found a 2 owner Machine and it's happily in my house. The original owner worked at the plant in Chicago so I'm told and only sold it about 4 years ago. Now it's mine

Pinball (resized).jpgPinball (resized).jpg
#1579 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I really like those blocks to save the board, where did you find those? That seems like something I could actually do lol

#1580 3 years ago
Quoted from RojerLockless:

I really like those blocks to save the board, where did you find those? That seems like something I could actually do lol

Blocks ? Sorry ? Not sure what blocks you speak of ?
The cliffys protectors ?

#1581 3 years ago

Hey Tommy fans! I've wanted this pinball machine since it first came out and I was a little kid in the 90's I found one in a local place near my house and played it every chance I got. I never forgot about it and anytime I saw a pinball arcade as an adult I always looked for Tommy as quick as I could. It's just such a fun box to play and with the easy multiballs and the awesome soundtrack I couldn't keep away.
I finally found a 2 owner Machine and it's happily in my house. The original owner worked at the plant in Chicago so I'm told and only sold it about 4 years ago. Now it's mine
[quoted image]

Enjoy man

Great game and lots of cool upgrades can be added...

#1582 3 years ago

[quoted image]

Very cool story. I have no childhood memories of Tommy because I was almost 40 when it came out, but man it’s a great game and yours looks great. Make sure it has the v.5 software upgrade chip - it makes a really excellent game even better. Have fun!

#1583 3 years ago

[quoted image]

Poker and pinball, I love this guy

#1584 3 years ago

Ocd board in route .
Alternate cab art in route.

Screenshot_2020-11-09-22-59-22 (resized).pngScreenshot_2020-11-09-22-59-22 (resized).png
#1585 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Blocks ? Sorry ? Not sure what blocks you speak of ?
The cliffys protectors ?

I guess I don't know the words. the metal plates protecting the holes the balls run into. mine has a tiny bit of damage I'd like to protect.

#1586 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Very cool story. I have no childhood memories of Tommy because I was almost 40 when it came out, but man it’s a great game and yours looks great. Make sure it has the v.5 software upgrade chip - it makes a really excellent game even better. Have fun!

It's completely stock as it was "so I've been told" owned by someone who worked at Data East for about 20 years, and then was passed to the 2nd owner and now to me. I've slowly collected some info about mods but haven't found any "how to" install videos or instructions yet or which ones are really worth it. Any advice or links would be appreciated

#1587 3 years ago

I was wondering what these decals are called and where I could find them. I don't need these flag ones but I'd like to look at some Tommy Related ones and I can't seem to find ANYWHERE that sells just those. Mine sides are black and showing some ware and I'd like to protect them and make it look a little bit nicer.

Tommy Side (resized).pngTommy Side (resized).png
#1588 3 years ago

I was wondering what these decals are called and where I could find them. I don't need these flag ones but I'd like to look at some Tommy Related ones and I can't seem to find ANYWHERE that sells just those. Mine sides are black and showing some ware and I'd like to protect them and make it look a little bit nicer.
[quoted image]

They are called blades. A few vendors offer them. Some are here:

https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/whos-tommy-pinball-sideblades/

Or here:

https://modfatherpinball.com/products/the-who-tommy-pinball-gameblades

Or here:

https://mezelmods.com/collections/tommy-pinball-mods/products/tommy-pinball-gameblades?variant=32589126926433

I went with mirror blades which are here:

https://www.pinballdecals.com/MirrorBladesPage.html

#1589 3 years ago

It's completely stock as it was "so I've been told" owned by someone who worked at Data East for about 20 years, and then was passed to the 2nd owner and now to me. I've slowly collected some info about mods but haven't found any "how to" install videos or instructions yet or which ones are really worth it. Any advice or links would be appreciated

For me, on the low end, I liked the Union Jack flipper covers and target stickers (see pictures)

I upgraded the sound with a combo of a Pinsound board with custom (better) music selections and upgraded the speakers with a pinwoofer setup. At:

https://pinwoofer.com/

https://www.pinsound.org/

And if you really go nuts (like I did), you can add the color DMD (dot matrix display), at:

https://shop.colordmd.com/led-replacement-display-for-the-whos-tommy-pinball-wizard-pinball-machine/

246E8C01-1A72-43B4-8519-300823911747 (resized).jpeg246E8C01-1A72-43B4-8519-300823911747 (resized).jpeg6CCA8A33-B0FF-4A60-BD59-BDBEA4F976E9 (resized).jpeg6CCA8A33-B0FF-4A60-BD59-BDBEA4F976E9 (resized).jpeg
#1590 3 years ago

I guess I don't know the words. the metal plates protecting the holes the balls run into. mine has a tiny bit of damage I'd like to protect.

CLIFFY protectors. Worthwhile, but more work to install than meets the eye. Definitely doable, but make sure if you get a set, really follow the instructions - especially with the scoop.

#1591 3 years ago

Was cleaning my PF tonight and thought I’d share a little. Mirror blades, color DMD, Pinsound card and blue speaker lights.

5601FA77-CECB-4CE0-8B63-B3834BEAC357 (resized).jpeg5601FA77-CECB-4CE0-8B63-B3834BEAC357 (resized).jpeg712B0B6D-8699-472E-9744-69A07A51980D (resized).jpeg712B0B6D-8699-472E-9744-69A07A51980D (resized).jpegA4B1F259-8E9C-4D4B-8AEA-25B69EED6545 (resized).jpegA4B1F259-8E9C-4D4B-8AEA-25B69EED6545 (resized).jpeg
#1592 3 years ago

That's exactly what I was looking for and man. I don't blame you those mirrors look amazing. Now I have to decide which one!

#1593 3 years ago

That's exactly what I was looking for and man. I don't blame you those mirrors look amazing. Now I have to decide which one!

Well, no matter what you pick, it will be cool, but I thought the mirror blades looked great and fit the motif of the game given the mirror shot and mirror references. Perhaps an all too geeky overthink, but hey - it’s pinball....

#1594 3 years ago

Now I gotta figure out how to "update the game" and maybe do the sound mods. hehe. how hard is updating the game? How expensive?

#1595 3 years ago

Now I gotta figure out how to "update the game" and maybe do the sound mods. hehe. how hard is updating the game? How expensive?

Cheap. But you do have to swap out a chip (or 2? - can’t remember) on the MPU. Easy if you’ve done it, nerve wracking if you have not. Search this thread for a link to the person who sells them. If I see it, I’ll send you the info.

#1596 3 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Was cleaning my PF tonight and thought I’d share a little. Mirror blades, color DMD, Pinsound card and blue speaker lights.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I have all of your stuff, except for the blue speaker lights. Where did you get them?

#1597 3 years ago

[quoted image]

These specific ones are from Tilt Graphics:

https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/product-page/union-jack-gameblades

He has two kinds to choose from. I asked him to make some Union Jack inspired ones, and this is what he came up with.

#1598 3 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

I have all of your stuff, except for the blue speaker lights. Where did you get them?

http://www.speakerlightkits.com/

#1599 3 years ago

To update the music to the Who, etc., you need a Pinsound card. The cheapest option is $319US. I would spend the extra $50 and buy the Pinsound Plus card.

https://www.pinsound.org/shop/index.php?id_product=60&controller=product&id_lang=1

If you do the card, might as well upgrade the speakers while you are at it. Lots of options for speakers, but Pinsound sells them as well.

#1600 3 years ago

Mirror blades sometimes go on sale for Black Friday. I got two pairs for $120 I think two years ago.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/32?hl=milltown and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.