New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,527 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 hours ago by Milltown
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 353 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 5.06.15 PM (resized).png
99712771-EA41-4D39-A7B2-769B05C286EE (resized).jpeg
95805C4A-7770-40F4-A310-97724B95C59B (resized).jpeg
50864450-DAB0-4A99-8DF6-9234FB3832DF (resized).jpeg
1013201620_HDR~2 (resized).jpg
1006201324a_HDR~2 (resized).jpg
1006201324_HDR~2 (resized).jpg
92F6864C-89C7-4283-A9B0-39509EA604D8 (resized).jpeg
95560DBC-B2A4-4ABB-839C-FA0792A3604D (resized).jpeg
B0058BF8-3CF5-44B6-9077-4B187D300B47 (resized).jpeg
00E77C84-1B9A-45AB-8FBB-CDB1A8770B69 (resized).jpeg
20190720_212657 (resized).jpg
20190720_212959 (resized).jpg
tommy christmas (resized).jpg
E183E9F3-AB02-49FC-91C1-4A8FF49D3D12 (resized).jpeg

There are 1527 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 31.
#1451 10 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

Apparently one can cut away a portion of the speaker panel to accommodate an LCD display. It casts a slight shadow at the base of the translite. I’ve seen the LCD installed in a Tommy and I have an LED color DMD in mine and I think the LED is perfect. Very bright and vibrant colors. Easy fit and install (although the instructions are oddly missing a step or two). Just seemed the way to go for me and I couldn’t be happier.

Thanks for the reply. I was asking as I had seen one with an LCD installed but didn’t see any video of it.

#1452 10 days ago
Quoted from robotron911:

Their is an aftermarket opto solution for the trough board. I highly recommend it.

Where is this available from please.
Thanks.

#1453 10 days ago
Quoted from monkfe:

If you're talking about the color dmd that colordmd.com sells, he only sells this in the LED format for Tommy due to height issues I believe I was told by him...now if your going to go with some of those other led panels I've seen some install...I don't know about those...I like it though...I mean what's not to like about a color screen....

Yeah was going to go with the colour DMD product for ease.

#1454 10 days ago
Quoted from scootss:

Many people find that you get more enjoyment out of the pinsound. Reason being that you're always hearing the music/sound and only sometimes looking at the display. For a music pin, that's doubly the case, IMO.
Not my video, but this makes the case pretty well

Oh yeah. That is fantastic. Pinsound will definitely be first up.
Thanks.

#1455 10 days ago
Quoted from Sandman454:

Where is this available from please.
Thanks.

Davi is the maker of this mod. He is sold out for this year, but I am assuming he will make a list for '21. Look up Davi and you will find his thread.

#1456 10 days ago
Quoted from Sandman454:

Hi all. I have had my Tommy for a bit over 5 years now and still love it.
I have tinkered and added bits over the years and think I have got it to where I want it for now. But want to add colour DMD. Has anyone got led v lcd on Tommy machine please.
See YouTube link of video of Tommy.
I have added plane lighting and blinking less to explosions in back area, lighting to rear of playfield and pop bumpers. Also to launch lane and trough areas.
Blue lighting to scoops and also Holiday area and blue captive ball. Different coloured less to Main Union Jack to tie in with other inserts for modes.
Possibly a few other bits and pieces.
Hope you like.
Hopefully Next up colour DMD and Pinsound. But shipping and dollar exchange rate is a killer at the moment to Australia.

What did you,light behind the flippers with ?
Also,the scoop lights are nice...

#1457 10 days ago

Received my pinsound plus today.
Tonight is install.

#1458 9 days ago
Quoted from robotron911:

Davi is the maker of this mod. He is sold out for this year, but I am assuming he will make a list for '21. Look up Davi and you will find his thread.

Thanks

#1459 9 days ago
Quoted from Milltown:

What did you,light behind the flippers with ?
Also,the scoop lights are nice...

Thanks
They are from the Comet matrix Light set up Led strips. Yellow for the trough behind flippers and shooter lanes and Connected to GI lighting. And small blue led strip In The scoops are connected to the insert lighting for that particular scoop.
Comet sell the lights. These just peel
And stick in place.

#1460 9 days ago
Quoted from Sandman454:

Thanks
They are from the Comet matrix Light set up Led strips. Yellow for the trough behind flippers and shooter lanes and Connected to GI lighting. And small blue led strip In The scoops are connected to the insert lighting for that particular scoop.
Comet sell the lights. These just peel
And stick in place.

How did you avoid the blinders ? I put these on most.. But the blinders had me thinkin...

#1461 9 days ago

I have a colordmd lcd in my Tommy. I bought it from them before the led was even available. Install was more involved but it looks great. If I was gonna do it today I would probably just go with led for ease of install.

20190720_212657 (resized).jpg20190720_212959 (resized).jpgtommy christmas (resized).jpg
#1462 9 days ago
Quoted from scootss:

Many people find that you get more enjoyment out of the pinsound. Reason being that you're always hearing the music/sound and only sometimes looking at the display. For a music pin, that's doubly the case, IMO.
Not my video, but this makes the case pretty well

I noticed the alternative cabinet art in the video. I’m having my game restored and I’m on the cusp about decals. Anyone else have pictures of their game with alternative cab decals? Please post.

#1463 9 days ago
Quoted from Toucanf16:

I noticed the alternative cabinet art in the video. I’m having my game restored and I’m on the cusp about decals. Anyone else have pictures of their game with alternative cab decals? Please post.

Im waiting on my hand drawn who trans from retro refurb . and im ordering the alternate cab art as well

#1464 9 days ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I have a colordmd lcd in my Tommy. I bought it from them before the led was even available. Install was more involved but it looks great. If I was gonna do it today I would probably just go with led for ease of install.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

For comparison - my LED

00E77C84-1B9A-45AB-8FBB-CDB1A8770B69 (resized).jpeg
#1465 8 days ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Ahhh ok. Thanks for the reply.

#1466 8 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

For comparison - my LED[quoted image]

Thanks.
I do like the smoothness of the LCD. Looks great. But for war of install I will also probably stick with the LED

#1467 8 days ago
Quoted from Milltown:

How did you avoid the blinders ? I put these on most.. But the blinders had me thinkin...

There is just enough room to mount them.

#1468 8 days ago
Quoted from Sandman454:

Thanks.
I do like the smoothness of the LCD. Looks great. But for war of install I will also probably stick with the LED

I bet you’re happy with the LED. Really bright and colorful with great contrast. Very much picks up on the vibe from the original DMD.

#1469 8 days ago
Quoted from Sandman454:

There is just enough room to mount them.

I will look again. ? 5 inch strip ?

#1470 8 days ago
Quoted from Sandman454:

Thanks.

I am a huge LCD fan. All my games have LCD with the exception of my Tommy. When I bought the COLORDMD, the LCD version was not available on the site.

If PIN2DMD is available with a Tommy conversion file, this may be a better option as half the price of an original colordmd.

#1471 7 days ago

My Tommy is being restored and I just purchased the RetroFefurb alternative cabinet decals and translight. I hope I don’t regret it! I’ll be frank, I bought The Shadow, AFM and CFTBL decals from RetroRefurb a couple years back and had great communication. But I’ve written Pete three or four times in the last month with absolutely no response. Anyone else have similar luck?

92F6864C-89C7-4283-A9B0-39509EA604D8 (resized).jpeg95560DBC-B2A4-4ABB-839C-FA0792A3604D (resized).jpegB0058BF8-3CF5-44B6-9077-4B187D300B47 (resized).jpeg
#1472 7 days ago
Quoted from Toucanf16:

Anyone else have similar luck?

This is exciting!! Pete is very spotty with communication, often a month or two at a time lapse. I may have another source for different cab and translite art.

#1473 7 days ago

Tommy is coming along nicely....
More to come...

1006201324_HDR~2 (resized).jpg1006201324a_HDR~2 (resized).jpg1013201620_HDR~2 (resized).jpg
#1474 7 days ago
Quoted from Milltown:

More to come...

Beautiful.

Could be more beautiful if you swapped out those ugly DE posts for nice shiny star posts

#1475 7 days ago
Quoted from Ive:

Beautiful.
Could be more beautiful if you swapped out those ugly DE posts for nice shiny star posts

Haha.. I have some as well.
In the plan.

#1476 7 days ago
Quoted from Milltown:

More to come...

You didn't fuck up the side blades like I did. Had to buy some Who decals to hide the mess I made.

#1477 7 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

You didn't fuck up the side blades like I did. Had to buy some Who decals to hide the mess I made.

Haha . mine got gouged .. Sucks.
Gonna cut off the bottom of the blades and patch the tops... Never had a problem until this data east with blades....

#1478 7 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

What did you buy to fix your blades ?

#1479 7 days ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Where did you get those blades?

#1480 7 days ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Where did you get those blades?

Coin taker maybe ?

#1481 6 days ago
Quoted from Milltown:

More to come...

I see you have lights, and perhaps flashers behind the plastic, all the way in the back, attached to the cabinet. Being new to this club, where can I find out what all you hooked up? Doing GI's would be easy. Switched or flashers would be cool, but depend on what they are hooked up to.

#1482 6 days ago

I just got my Pinsound and shaker delivered today. Looking forward to doing that mod. This is my first dealing with Pinsound. Sure not cheap and shipping is high.

I am doing my own speaker mods. I have to put in the new ones in the backbox. Cabinet upgrade was already done by me before - I think the original was rotted out.

#1483 6 days ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I just got my Pinsound and shaker delivered today. Looking forward to doing that mod. This is my first dealing with Pinsound. Sure not cheap and shipping is high.
I am doing my own speaker mods. I have to put in the new ones in the backbox. Cabinet upgrade was already done by me before - I think the original was rotted out.

If you like the Who, you will love it! Anything beats the original soundtrack.

#1484 6 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

If PIN2DMD is available with a Tommy conversion file, this may be a better option as half the price of an original colordmd.

Thanks for this. I have never looked seriously at PIN2DMD. Now that I have all this extra time on my hands, it will be something for me to look into.

#1485 5 days ago

I am installing the PinSound board. Pretty straightforward. But I admit that I am old school. I dislike these cryptic picture only instructions books.

There is nothing about hooking up speakers. I like to install my own. Already put in a new woofer.
It looks like for the cabinet woofer, I just connect that to the 'C' +&-. The left and right are pretty obvious. Is this correct?

Is the 'C' a low pass output? Or full / all frequencies?

Do L & R also contain the 'C' audio?

Too bad this does not have a 2.1 RCA output.

Since I am not planning on headphones, not sure what to do with the 'Auto-Mute' switch. Is 'Off' headphones off? Or is 'Off' turning off the auto mute.

EXT1, etc. are for what?

There are controls for a 'Sub'. Where does that get connected? Does not look like any connection for a sub, nor any crossover for it.

Companies really short the documentation anymore. These are basic questions any kind of audiophile type person would want to know the answer to.

#1486 5 days ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I am installing the PinSound board. Pretty straightforward. But I admit that I am old school. I dislike these cryptic picture only instructions books.
There is nothing about hooking up speakers. I like to install my own. Already put in a new woofer.
It looks like for the cabinet woofer, I just connect that to the 'C' +&-. The left and right are pretty obvious. Is this correct?
Since I am not planning on headphones, not sure what to do with the 'Auto-Mute' switch. Is 'Off' headphones off? Or is 'Off' turning off the auto mute.
EXT1, etc. are for what?
There are controls for a 'Sub'. Where does that get connected? Does not look like any connection for a sub, nor any crossover for it.
Companies really short the documentation anymore. These are basic questions any kind of audiophile type person would want to know the answer to.

They have good videos on You Tube. Explain everything.

#1487 5 days ago

#1488 5 days ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

EXT1, etc. are for what?

I think you have to use their speaker harness that comes with the pinsound card. There are six wires, so pretty straightforward if I recall.

https://www.pinsound.org/shop/index.php?id_product=21&controller=product&id_lang=1

#1489 5 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

They have good videos on You Tube. Explain everything.

I watched the video on installation. Pretty basic. It does not answer the questions that I listed in my post.

Quoted from pinballjah:

I think you have to use their speaker harness that comes with the pinsound card. There are six wires, so pretty straightforward if I recall.
https://www.pinsound.org/shop/index.php?id_product=21&controller=product&id_lang=1

No speaker harness was shipped with mine. The one that they have that is an extra cost is 'Stereo 2.1 wiring for Bally/Williams STERN/SEGA pinball machines'. I think not needed for DE Sys 3 as the DE Speaker plug fits right in.

It is a pretty amazing card to work with all the different pins.

But they really should have a sub output. And explain what the controls do. There are two sub pots. For?

Right now, I am dealing with an issue with my USB drive. This is the type of information that should be in the instructions. Mine if formatted ExFAT. I installed the firmware upgrade on it, but it is not upgrading.

There are two USB plugs on the board. Two?

#1490 5 days ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I watched the video on installation. Pretty basic. It does not answer the questions that I listed in my post.

No speaker harness was shipped with mine. The one that they have that is an extra cost is 'Stereo 2.1 wiring for Bally/Williams STERN/SEGA pinball machines'. I think not needed for DE Sys 3 as the DE Speaker plug fits right in.
It is a pretty amazing card to work with all the different pins.
But they really should have a sub output. And explain what the controls do. There are two sub pots. For?
Right now, I am dealing with an issue with my USB drive. This is the type of information that should be in the instructions. Mine if formatted ExFAT. I installed the firmware upgrade on it, but it is not upgrading.
There are two USB plugs on the board. Two?

I recall there was a specific type of formatting for the Pinsound USB. Have a look at Mr_Tantrums Pinsound thread. He talks about setting up the USB.

#1491 5 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I recall there was a specific type of formatting for the Pinsound USB. Have a look at Mr_Tantrums Pinsound thread. He talks about setting up the USB.

Thanks. This is something that should be readily available in the PinSound website.

#1492 5 days ago

This is how my Flipper Fidelity speakers are connected. Not sure if the white connector came with the speakers? These are the Pinsound specific speakers they sell. Hopefully I have it set up right

50864450-DAB0-4A99-8DF6-9234FB3832DF (resized).jpeg95805C4A-7770-40F4-A310-97724B95C59B (resized).jpeg99712771-EA41-4D39-A7B2-769B05C286EE (resized).jpeg

https://flipperfidelity.com/data-east-complete-replacement-speaker-system-machines-with-pinsound-audio-boards/

#1493 5 days ago

I also bought the optional Power boost cable that Pinsound sells. You can see it plugged in on the top left side of the last picture. Not sure if necessary but I always use these power cables on the Data East games. Had some issues on my GnR in the past.

https://www.pinsound.org/shop/index.php?id_product=41&controller=product&id_lang=1

#1494 5 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I also bought the optional Power boost cable that Pinsound sells. You can see it plugged in on the top left side of the last picture. Not sure if necessary but I always use these power cables on the Data East games. Had some issues on my GnR in the past.

Thanks for the info. I found buried on the website that the USB has to be formatted to FAT32. As I have a Mac, it appears that I have the option of formatting as ExFAT and MS-DOS (FAT).

It appears that FAT-32 is the same thing as MS-DOS(FAT). So that maybe my problem. My USB is 3.0, but PinSound says that USB 3.0 and 3.1 will work.

Thanks for the photos of your speaker setup. I assume you have three speakers: left, right in the backbox, larger speaker in the cabinet. No separate subwoofer?

BTW, I also purchased the 'power booster'. After pouring through the photos, it appears that it hooks up the sound card to the +18V DC power supply. The original sound card was connected to the +12V DC power supply.

#1495 5 days ago

Aw crap, no luck. Reformatted to MS-DOS which should be ExFAT. I downloaded and put the firmware file in the USB drive. There was no conformation that the card did anything. So I downloaded and unzipped the Tommy sound files, booted and all I got was:

"There are no sound files on the USB drive."

Am dead in the water and do not know what to do next.

#1496 5 days ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

Aw crap, no luck. Reformatted to MS-DOS which should be ExFAT. I downloaded and put the firmware file in the USB drive. There was no conformation that the card did anything. So I downloaded and unzipped the Tommy sound files, booted and all I got was:
"There are no sound files on the USB drive."
Am dead in the water and do not know what to do next.

I had this issue and it was the size of the thumb drive. Too small. Got a bigger one, reformatted it to FAT, and then easy....

#1497 5 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

I had this issue and it was the size of the thumb drive. Too small. Got a bigger one, reformatted it to FAT, and then easy....

This is what they say is necessary:

"You can use any USB 3.0 or 3.1 flash drive with your PinSound sound board.

The required format is FAT32 (make sure to format your flash drive accordingly).

Any flash drive sizes are correct, with a minimum of 8GB."

I have 32GB.

Can anyone let me know the file structure? I have named my USB 'pinsound' which I expect is OK.

I read that the audio files need to be in an 'audio' folder.

I have tried:

audio/TOMMY_PinballJAH/[all the unzipped files]
and
audio/[all the unzipped files]

No luck.

[ignore the invisible files in this photo - they should not interfere with the reading.]

Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 5.06.15 PM (resized).png
#1498 5 days ago

Finaly doing my pinsound plus tonight...
I had my distributor load the flash and board for 40 bucks with all the soundtracks avail.
I did not wanna mess with the downloads...

#1499 5 days ago

Am I reading correctly that I have to convert the downloaded .oog files to .wav files?

That will be tedious as bleep. Have to see if I have a converter that will do that all at once.

#1500 5 days ago

Lots of activity on the Tommy thread. It’s good to see this pin getting some love!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
There are 1527 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 31.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside