(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,144 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by zahner
  • Topic is favorited by 63 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 278 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FD7C5E7D-8E24-452F-B43D-8C36CAF5A3B1 (resized).jpeg
67EDDADC-0ED3-4918-8CBD-1B260C03EA75 (resized).jpeg
Tommy Translite NEW prv (resized).png
5CB1CCB5-1DB5-4F5A-8E71-1CFE2AC64D89 (resized).jpeg
9C745347-7A23-41B5-BB42-69AC6A49DDF3 (resized).jpeg
E1B643D3-F4B7-450F-8E25-10D7D2232A0F (resized).jpeg
2BE4F305-E685-4C56-92BB-9EE902C609E4 (resized).jpeg
6FD68B94-7D5F-4E0F-AA0E-63DA926872B7 (resized).jpeg
A4081EA4-501F-433D-A50C-508F06732762 (resized).png
snip1 (resized).JPG
B8D7CE64-56EE-4804-8301-C3BD1797513F (resized).jpeg
pb4 (resized).jpg
Cn1 2 (resized).jpg
Cn1 1 (resized).jpg
762A11B5-258F-4219-9E4B-3C6C53228AF8 (resized).png
tommy proto vs serie2 (resized).jpg

There are 1144 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 23.
#101 3 years ago
Quoted from danisme:

Looks like you're missing a hex spacer. The manual mentions several of them on page 42 but does not depict which one is which. It lists Tapped 6-32 in 1/2", 1", 1 1/2", and 2". Mine is 11/2". Here is a pic.
2015-11-19 Tommy.jpg

Thanks a ton for checking! I was about to order one when I found it inside the cabinet. My OCD is now curbed for the moment haha.

#102 3 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

Thanks a ton for checking! I was about to order one when I found it inside the cabinet. My OCD is now curbed for the moment haha.

Dammit ! Now you have made me double check mine and notice I don't have one

Wonder why it was there - to prevent a potential ball trap maybe ?

#103 3 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Dammit ! Now you have made me double check mine and notice I don't have one
Wonder why it was there - to prevent a potential ball trap maybe ?

Oh no, haha! It sort of just seems to act as a post/support for the habitrail to keep it in place better, but I'm not sure! Another weird thing on my machine was that the blue metal shooter lane guide (flap?) wasn't installed...it was just sitting in the coin tray. Ball launch was a little unsteady until I put it back in.

#104 3 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

Another weird thing on my machine was that the blue metal shooter lane guide (flap?) wasn't installed...it was just sitting in the coin tray. Ball launch was a little unsteady until I put it back in.

Hmm. You have picture of this ?? No flap on my shooter lane either.

#105 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I think it is possible on any ball... as long as Multiball has never been started. If someone can confirm, that would be great.

Yep. Possible on any ball. Collection of Extra Ball is fine too. Just don't start Multiball

#106 3 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Hmm. You have picture of this ?? No flap on my shooter lane either.

Ive, here's a pic (it's blue like the other ramp flaps). It was sitting in my coin box and never installed. My tech noted that the ball launch felt "squirrely" (haha) and it was better after we installed this.

TommyLaneGuide.jpg

#107 3 years ago

That is not the stock shooter lane guide on tommy. Tommy has a one piece shooter lane guide that starts even with the captive ball and ends in an angle at the loop. It's a one piece stainless steel guide.

Looks like yours has a 2 piece guide from another game. This is what the stock guide looks like, but I'm sure yours will work fine.
Img_0595.jpg

#108 3 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

That is not the stock shooter lane guide on tommy. Tommy has a one piece shooter lane guide that starts even with the captive ball and ends in an angle at the loop. It's a one piece stainless steel guide.
Looks like yours has a 2 piece guide from another game. This is what the stock guide looks like, but I'm sure yours will work fine.
Img_0595.jpg

If I remove the blue guide, mine looks exactly like yours. I think the blue guide part shipped with the machines but wasn't installed in most cases (as it matches the ramp flaps exactly). My seller never added or changed any parts (including the original batteries, sadly...which were still factory zip-tied in) after getting the machine new in '94 - he didn't even know how to open the back box or take the playfield glass out. He only knew how to open the coin door to take his quarters out hah. The ball launch was just slightly smoother after adding the extra guide to the stock guide, so it works for me, I guess! I've seen the blue guide piece in other pics around the web too.

#109 3 years ago

Oh, so its a guide on top of the stock guide? I see. Well then, sorry, I have never seen this on a TOMMY. Interesting!!! Thanks for the info.

#110 3 years ago

Oh, so its a guide on top of the stock guide? I see. Well then, sorry, I have never seen this on a TOMMY. Interesting!!! Thanks for the info.

No worries haha - I was puzzled by it when I found it in the coin box and immediately had to research and see if other machines had it! Maybe it's just included for cases where the launch path gets "squirrely" like mine without it? Who knows!

#111 3 years ago

My Tommy has the exact same piece in the shooter lane.
Maybe it's a regional thing? My machine is from France.

#112 3 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

Ive, here's a pic (it's blue like the other ramp flaps). It was sitting in my coin box and never installed. My tech noted that the ball launch felt "squirrely" (haha) and it was better after we installed this.
TommyLaneGuide.jpg

Ooooh. Never seen that before. Never had a problem with my launch but now I want one of those fitted My Tommy was originally a French machine, now in Brighton which makes much more sense ...'From Soho down to Brighton'

#113 3 years ago

Anyone have suggestions on fixing the autolauncher? Mine works about 40% of the time (i.e., up and around to the left flipper)...

#114 3 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Anyone have suggestions on fixing the autolauncher? Mine works about 40% of the time (i.e., up and around to the left flipper)...

This older thread has some info on the 2nd page from owners who've replaced their auto-launch assembly - may help out. What's normal behavior for it? Mine seems to make it around to the upper flipper most of the time (maybe like 70%-80% of the time?) but sometimes doesn't (falls into the pop bumpers or whatever).

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tommy-upgrades/page/2

#115 3 years ago

Hey guys, On my Tommy, it seems like its too easy to get to multiball for hitting the mirror and advancing the letters in Tommy. Should it take 5 mirror hits to get to multiball?

#116 3 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

Hey guys, On my Tommy, it seems like its too easy to get to multiball for hitting the mirror and advancing the letters in Tommy. Should it take 5 mirror hits to get to multiball?

Ball 1 you are spotted one TOMMY LETTER, so you start off with T
Ball 2 you are spotted two TOMMY LETTERS so you start off with TOM if you didn't hit the mirror.
Ball 3 you are spotted two TOMMY LETTERS so you start off with TOMMY, so basically multiball is all automatic on 3rd ball.

If you hit the mirror anytime on ball one or two you are 2-4 hits away from multiball.

#117 3 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

The TOMMY letters auto advance in between balls. This guarantees the spelling of TOMMY (and the lowering of the mirror) by start of Ball 3. Currently, there is no way to adjust this in this game. This is a common complaint for many Data East games including this one.

#118 3 years ago

Ball 2 you are spotted two TOMMY LETTERS so you start off with TOM if you didn't hit the mirror.

Actually, on Ball 2 you are spotted three TOMMY LETTERS so you start off with TOMM.

#119 3 years ago

I actually like that it gives you an easy multiball because multiball is a great thing for anyone that doesn't play pinball, so when I have people over they get really excited.

What I don't like is how it stops giving you letters after multiball.
Getting multiball on ball 1 should give you more chances to get into another multiball later into the game, but with the game not rewarding you letters any longer, it's very unlikely.
What this means is it doesn't really matter when you activate multiball. Ball 1 or ball 3, it hardly makes a difference. The only reason to get that mirror hit on ball 1 (in order to lower the mirror on ball 2) is in case you quickly drain while trying to start it.

I think the game should still spot you 1 letter per ball after the first multiball.

#120 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

You are correct! However, it looks like it is only granted if you get to Pinball Wizard without ever starting Multiball. It is worth 20 Million.
I'll update my original post with this info.

Here's a pic of the Race To Wizard graphic that shows, it then splits apart to reveal the bonus. Looks like they threw in a nod to DE's Checkpoint ??

12273747_993607447380418_9051663877928753790_o.jpg

checkpoint.jpg

#121 3 years ago

So this is VERY interesting news. Could repro blinders finally be available

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/checking-interest-tommy-blinders-repro

#122 3 years ago

Here's a coin door key "mod" that I'm pretty thrilled with - it's the little things. Had it made from one of my photos!

TommyKey.jpg

#123 3 years ago

Hello Fellow Tommy pin owners. Call me slow but after owning mine for four weeks finally noticed all my flashers are out. (Playfield and BB) I been on forums the past two days and I have checked the obvious. I.E. Fuses (yes with a multi meter) chased the orange common wire to all flashers along with each flasher unit dedicated wires. Connectors (all) J6 CN9 all look good and have been reseated several times. I have seen that I should check the 20v. Pin on the cpu to ensure I have 20v. Problem there is that the board had been replaced with a Rottendog board with no such pin to ck. power. I have yet to check each socket individually but have the feeling if all are out the problem is most likely not the sockets. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks, Ray

1 week later
#124 3 years ago

After a couple weeks of playing my machine a lot, I noticed the auto-launch kicker having weak launches here and there like people have mentioned - resulting in multi-balls getting messy etc. Some mentioned changing out the assembly or shortening their shooter tips and after giving it some thought, I tried an alternate fix -- I replaced the 3/4" barrel spring on my shooter rod with a 1" spring. So far so good - it pulls it back enough so the ball settles without bouncing off the shooter tip and the auto kicker is always strong. Just thought I'd mention it in case it works for anyone else.

#125 3 years ago

I've been testing out Titan silicone flipper bands and I'm pretty much sold - they play wonderfully. I had just finished putting PL black rubber all throughout (to keep it similar to factory original), but now I'll likely do a complete Titan silicone overhaul. The only issue is the lack of 2.75" bands for the slingshots (Matt from Titan said 2.75" will eventually be added, but 2.5" may work for now). One thing I noticed is that my rubber ring configuration (original black Happ rubber from the factory that was never changed...so hard and brittle!) was slightly different than what's in the manual. I've been considering making a diagram to document how it came from the factory (differences are pretty minor). If anyone is interested in seeing this, I'll definitely do it.

Can't decide which color I want to stick with for a while. Not sure if I'm crazy, but I feel like the orange Titan bands are a bit more rigid than the other 2 colors - may have to ask Matt about that. These pics were taken today - my Tommy has seen many hours of polishing, cleaning, restoring, and tweaking since I picked it up!

TommyBlack.jpg

TommyRed.jpg

TommyOrange.jpg

#127 3 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

The red looks like a winner. =)

They are snazzy for sure! Thanks for those and the first class repair work on my game, Dave!

#128 3 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

I've been testing out Titan silicone flipper bands and I'm pretty much sold - they play wonderfully. I had just finished putting PL black rubber all throughout (to keep it similar to factory original), but now I'll likely do a complete Titan silicone overhaul. The only issue is the lack of 2.75" bands for the slingshots (Matt from Titan said 2.75" will eventually be added, but 2.5" may work for now). One thing I noticed is that my rubber ring configuration (original black Happ rubber from the factory that was never changed...so hard and brittle!) was slightly different than what's in the manual. I've been considering making a diagram to document how it came from the factory (differences are pretty minor). If anyone is interested in seeing this, I'll definitely do it.
Can't decide which color I want to stick with for a while. Not sure if I'm crazy, but I feel like the orange Titan bands are a bit more rigid than the other 2 colors - may have to ask Matt about that. These pics were taken today - my Tommy has seen many hours of polishing, cleaning, restoring, and tweaking since I picked it up!

TommyBlack.jpg TommyRed.jpg TommyOrange.jpg

I have White Superbands on my Tommy, with White rubber. I like it

10252132_653495744724925_8098260007377585106_n.jpg

#129 3 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Funny how I've owned Tommy for nearly 20 years and haven't noticed his white pants, until your post on the white rubbers.

#130 3 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Funny how I've owned Tommy for nearly 20 years and haven't noticed his white pants, until your post on the white rubbers.

White looks pretty slick, too! I may need to add it to my options now haha. Tommy is always (symbolically) in white in the show and gets the yellow jacket after he's "cured" and becomes an idol, hence the white pants.

#131 3 years ago

Help! One of the plastics (#07, the large triangular blue and yellow one underneath the left ramp) just broke. I'm having trouble finding a replacement (not sure I even can). Of course this happens right before I order protectors. Any leads would be much appreciated - thanks!

#132 3 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

Help! One of the plastics (#07, the large triangular blue and yellow one underneath the left ramp) just broke. I'm having trouble finding a replacement (not sure I even can). Of course this happens right before I order protectors. Any leads would be much appreciated - thanks!

Just did a quick search and found this on eBay:
ebay.com link » Tommy By Data East 1994 Original Nos Pinball Machine Plastics Choice See Pic

Edit: or were you referring to #17

#133 3 years ago
Quoted from Krakatoa:

Just did a quick search and found this on eBay:
ebay.com link » Tommy By Data East 1994 Original Nos Pinball Machine Plastics Choice See Pic
Edit: or were you referring to #17

I found this too - it says "07" on the plastic itself, but it's #17 in that listing. It's not listed as an option in the menu, but I messaged the seller just in case.

#134 3 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

Here's an image of the plastic I'm desperately trying to find now...

TommyPlastic07.jpg

#135 3 years ago

Its a fairly hidden plastic under the ramp, so glue it and someday you'll find a replacement.
I use GOOP for mending plastics and its very durable and dries fast.

Quoted from Number41:

Here's an image of the plastic I'm desperately trying to find now...

#136 3 years ago

Its a fairly hidden plastic under the ramp, so glue it and someday you'll find a replacement.
I use GOOP for mending plastics and its very durable and dries fast.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm thinking in the mean time. It's a clean break and not too obvious. I have to take that assembly apart to change bulbs and rubber anyway.

#137 3 years ago

Crisis averted! Found a replacement for the broken plastic - The Pinball Resource to the rescue! They had a 5-piece plastic set that includes the one I need for a great price. It's on its way and now I just need Pinbits to hurry up with the plastic protectors (it's been in processing for a little while, hope it comes through). It's funny - there's a very nice looking Tommy up for sale here in MA and from the pictures it looks like the same plastic broke in the exact same place.

#138 3 years ago

Let's talk about that right spinner.

Imagine you have the ball trapped on the left flipper, union jack is not lit.
What do you shoot? Silver ball? Bumpers? VUK? Holiday Camp? All kind of pointless and risky.
The obvious choice would be right orbit to relight the union jack and get a feed to your right flipper (parachute hole) or loop all the way to the upper left flipper for a shot at the mirror/right ramp.

But with the right spinner, the chances of that shot making it even up to the parachute hole are about 5% (on my machine). What I get is the ball rolling back down, often onto the slingshot and out of control.
I was wondering why I only ever saw one 3-way-combo, and the answer is because every other combo requires a full right orbit.

And what use are the spinners anyway? 100k/spin during captain walker? Whatever lousy value they are when in normal play?

So my question is: Do you think the right spinner should be removed? Can it be "fixed" to not stop the ball as much? Would removing the right spinner make the game easier in a bad way?

#139 3 years ago

Does anyone else have the problem of the Union Jack shot and the Mirror shot bricking out all the time? Mine only stays in there about 10% of the time. I've tried foam in there, but it doesn't seem to help.

#140 3 years ago

I need to post a pic but I put blue Titan rings in the flippers and slings and think they are the best, really playing off the blue in the pf.

#141 3 years ago
Quoted from MauriceSTYS:

What do you shoot? Silver ball? Bumpers? VUK? Holiday Camp? All kind of pointless and risky.
The obvious choice would be right orbit to relight the union jack and get a feed to your right flipper (parachute hole) or loop all the way to the upper left flipper for a shot at the mirror/right ramp.
But with the right spinner, the chances of that shot making it even up to the parachute hole are about 5% (on my machine). What I get is the ball rolling back down, often onto the slingshot and out of control.
I was wondering why I only ever saw one 3-way-combo, and the answer is because every other combo requires a full right orbit.
And what use are the spinners anyway? 100k/spin during captain walker? Whatever lousy value they are when in normal play?
So my question is: Do you think the right spinner should be removed? Can it be "fixed" to not stop the ball as much? Would removing the right spinner make the game easier in a bad way?

Wow - it shouldnt be that poor. You need to ensure the spinner is really dialled in ....free spinning, no hangups. You may need to adjust the spinner wire or mounting. I really dont have a problem with it on mine.

#142 3 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Wow - it shouldnt be that poor. You need to ensure the spinner is really dialled in ....free spinning, no hangups. You may need to adjust the spinner wire or mounting. I really dont have a problem with it on mine.

The Tommy in my basement is similar in that the right spinner takes a lot of the inertia out of the ball whenever I make that right loop shot. I need to take a closer look into this.

#143 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Does anyone else have the problem of the Union Jack shot and the Mirror shot bricking out all the time? Mine only stays in there about 10% of the time. I've tried foam in there, but it doesn't seem to help.

Union Jack shot, yes. Mirror hole, no. My Union Jack got better after installing a Cliffy protector. Seems the hole gets some wear and having a nice sharp edge on it with the Cliffy helps with bounce outs. I also put a small piece of target foam at the back of the shot. I still get bounce outs probably 30-50% of the time.

#144 3 years ago
Quoted from MauriceSTYS:

In that case I will shoot the right spinner(mine has no problem re-lighting Union Jack), shoot the silverball target(especially if it is lit), or backhand the left ramp. Remember spinner value is doubled if hit on the fly from an inlane. Do that during 2x scoring for some pretty good points.

#145 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

TOMMY COMBOS EXPLAINED!
I don't see this fully documented anywhere else. So here we go.
UNIQUE COMBOS:
3 Way Combo - Right Ramp, Left Ramp, Right Scoop - Scores 10 Million
3 Way Combo - Left Ramp, Right Orbit, Mirror - Scores 10 Million and advances two TOMMY letters
4 Way Combo - Right Orbit, Right Ramp, Left Ramp, Right Scoop - Scores 20 Million
4 Way Combo - Right Orbit, Right Ramp, Genius Lane, Mirror - Scores 20 Million and advances three TOMMY letters
BUILDING COMBOS:
3 Way Combo - Left Ramp, Right Orbit, Right Ramp - Scores 10 Million
Can build to a 4 Way Combo - Genius Lane - Scores additional 20 Million
Can build to a 5 Way Combo - Mirror - Scores additional 10 Million and immediately lites Multiball Ready.
Also, there are these miscellaneous Combo/Bonuses:
One Way Combo - When Mirror is down at start of ball and player launches ball into play with a full plunge and immediately shoots the Tommy hole from the upper left flipper - Scores 5 Million
Sigma Bonus - Bounced off the right side of the Silver Ball target and into the Tommy hole when Mirror is down and Multiball is ready - Scores 10 Million
Extra Ball Combo - From Lite Extra Ball at Right Scoop to Genius Lane where you immediately Collect Extra Ball - Scores 5 Million
4 Engine Start Bonus - Four consecutive shots to the Left Ramp (only available during higher Captain Walker levels where it takes 4 or more Left Ramp shots to start the Captain Walker Spinner/Ramp Bomb Dropping mode) - Scores 10 Million
Lyman Bonus - If you drain and are within 2 Million of the replay score, you will be awarded an extra 2 Million and you will get your replay - Scores 2 Million
Ramp Skill Shot - Shot to the right ramp after full plunge at start of ball - Scores 10 Million
Race To Wizard - Start Pinball Wizard before ever starting a multiball - Scores 20 Million

There is also 'Parachute Sneak In Bonus - 1 Million'

Awarded during play when ball drops in to the Skill Shot. Had forgotten about this as only occasionally seen, but got it last night, not quite sure the criteria for getting it though.

#146 3 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

There is also 'Parachute Sneak In Bonus - 1 Million'
Awarded during play when ball drops in to the Skill Shot. Had forgotten about this as only occasionally seen, but got it last night, not quite sure the criteria for getting it though.

Yes, "Parachute Sneak-In Award" is granted if you are already at maximum Skill Shot of 50M and the ball drops into the Parachute hole.

#147 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

The Tommy in my basement is similar in that the right spinner takes a lot of the inertia out of the ball whenever I make that right loop shot. I need to take a closer look into this.

Looks like I fixed mine!

My flippers were just slightly set too high. I needed to adjust them downwards a small bit. I think what was happening is the only way to get the ball to go through the Right Loop was to flip when the ball was right at the tip of the flipper. The problem is that this doesn't give the ball a solid push and therefore the speed of the ball when entering the Right Orbit was not fast enough.

Just slightly adjusting the left flipper downwards (and actually aligned it straight with the left return lane) makes it so the ball doesn't have to be at the tip of the flipper to shoot the Right Loop. Instead the ball is near the tip but still gets the full power of the flipper.

#148 3 years ago

Do any of you have Pinbits plastic protectors installed? They're awesome and I got most of mine in, but now it sounds like the small amount of added height is making the ball hit the glass as the VUK kicks it up. Freaking me out a little.

Edit: I may have fixed it with some adjusting. The extra height from the protectors has required me to tweak a few things (like removing one of the gray spacers on the left spinner).

#149 3 years ago

Merry Christmas Pinsiders,
I am going to look at a Tommy this weekend and was wondering if there is anything I should be on the lookout for? I know the blinders are near impossible to find but what about a thing else?
I greatly appreciate any Intel!

#150 3 years ago

You can ck the blinders operation by holding in the extra ball button and pressing start. They should open up and stay for the entire game. Cabinet wear by the flipper buttons is extremely common. I guess that yellow paint is easily worn thin.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods
$ 50.00
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 1144 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 23.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside