(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png
There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 46.
#1401 3 years ago

Ok tommy is acting weird tonight ?
1 ball missing ? 2 balls missing ? 3 balls missing .?
Hit the start button,a few times it starts ?
When,it drains no end of ball ?
Trough switch ? I've tweaked them all a bit but no change?
Move the switches far left it counts the ball sometimes ? One switch slightly out of wack ?

#1402 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Ok tommy is acting weird tonight ?
1 ball missing ? 2 balls missing ? 3 balls missing .?
Hit the start button,a few times it starts ?
When,it drains no end of ball ?
Trough switch ? I've tweaked them all a bit but no change?
Move the switches far left it counts the ball sometimes ? One switch slightly out of wack ?

Think I found it... Dead switch...

#1403 3 years ago

Anyone make a decal for around the speaker panel? Looks very boring in just plain black. Thanks.

#1404 3 years ago

I said it was dark, here is quick and shitty video of my Tommy and the darkness......oh the darkness.....

Not sure I posted the video correctly. I do not see an embed icon..

https://vimeo.com/464424728

#1405 3 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

I said it was dark, here is quick and shitty video of my Tommy and the darkness......oh the darkness.....
Not sure I posted the video correctly. I do not see an embed icon..
https://vimeo.com/464424728

Wow that is dark.

#1406 3 years ago

Bastards.. Haha

unnamed (11) (resized).jpgunnamed (11) (resized).jpg
#1407 3 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

Can someone confirm this is correct for spinner mounting.
This was ether dissasembled by me over a month ago or by the previous owner a year ago. Trying to put the puzzle back together.
Thanks

[quoted image]

This pic just helped me.
No,spacer on mine ..

#1408 3 years ago

Their is an aftermarket opto solution for the trough board. I highly recommend it.

#1409 3 years ago

Ok im getting ready to order pinsound for tommy.. Any recommendations on extra parts to grab ?
Wich download is preferred .?
I've also added a powered sub ..,
Anything else needed ? Power booster smart to grab ?
Big difference on the neo or pinsound plus ?
Wich is recomended.?

#1410 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Ok im getting ready to order pinsound for tommy.. Any recommendations on extra parts to grab ?
Wich is recomended.?

The NEO just came out, so I have no experience on it yet. I have the plus (bought it a few months ago) added new speakers and a cabinet sub. You will want the power booster pack, it's a breeze to setup. Few items of feedback for you:
I installed the board in a matter of minutes, the directions are VERY simple.
I kept the stock speakers in to hear the difference, then added a different sound theme after to compare. The pinsound board did a good job at making the stock speakers better on the stock sound. Once I added a new mix, playing actual Who music, the speakers were inferior so I put in the new speakers. And I have to say WOW, what a difference. I don't have a powered sub on mine as I rarely get to crank it that loud. But I did add the headphone jack for late night play. I have this setup on a couple of my pins.

#1411 3 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

The NEO just came out, so I have no experience on it yet. I have the plus (bought it a few months ago) added new speakers and a cabinet sub. You will want the power booster pack, it's a breeze to setup. Few items of feedback for you:
I kept the stock speakers in to hear the difference, then added a different sound theme after to compare. The pinsound board did a good job at making the stock speakers better on the stock sound. Once I added a new mix, playing actual Who music, the speakers were inferior so I put in the new speakers. And I have to say WOW, what a difference. I don't have a powered sub on mine as I rarely get to crank it that loud. But I did add the headphone jack for late night play. I have this setup on a couple of my pins.

I had a similar experience. The only thing I did that was different was adding Pinwoofer speakers and amps. I felt that added a much richer sound. I also opted for the Pinsound shaker - kind of a compliment to the sound.

I used the OST by Julian42 sound package (on Pinsound’s site) and modified that a bit.

Happy with it all. Pinsound is a great upgrade for Tommy.

#1412 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I had a similar experience. The only thing I did that was different was adding Pinwoofer speakers and amps. I felt that added a much richer sound. I also opted for the Pinsound shaker - kind of a compliment to the sound.
I used the OST by Julian42 sound package (on Pinsound’s site) and modified that a bit.
Happy with it all. Pinsound is a great upgrade for Tommy.

good to know..,
Im considering the neo ..

#1413 3 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

thank you

#1414 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Wich is recomended.?

Make sure you get the DE power splitter with the card.

#1415 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Wich is recomended.?

I did an orchestration with just Who music (nothing from Tommy). Also did an orchestration which has some Who music and replaces the original Tommy musical soundtrack with the actual Who Tommy songs. There are not too many orchestrations for Tommy on the Pinsound community so pretty easy to try a few and decide which you like. I would get the headset station as well so it is easy to change between orchestrations (if you use one USB) and easy to control the volume of the card.

#1416 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Make sure you get the DE power splitter with the card.

Dows that come with the board or extra ?

#1417 3 years ago
1006201324 (resized).jpg1006201324 (resized).jpg1006201324_HDR (resized).jpg1006201324_HDR (resized).jpg1006201324e_HDR (resized).jpg1006201324e_HDR (resized).jpg1006201324e_HDR (resized).jpg1006201324e_HDR (resized).jpg1006201325f_HDR (resized).jpg1006201325f_HDR (resized).jpg1006201326b_HDR (resized).jpg1006201326b_HDR (resized).jpg
#1418 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Dows that come with the board or extra ?

No, I don't think so. For $25, it is worth adding it.

https://www.pinsound.org/shop/index.php?id_product=41&controller=product&id_lang=1

#1419 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

No, I don't think so. For $25, it is worth adding it

You really need it for Tommy ...

#1420 3 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

You really need it for Tommy ...

Cool

#1422 3 years ago

Power booster yes.. I was looking at that and figured I should snag it....

#1423 3 years ago

Thinking about letting my DE Tommy go that I’ve owned since 96, if anyone might be interested

#1424 3 years ago
Quoted from JoeinNJ:

Thinking about letting my DE Tommy go that I’ve owned since 96, if anyone might be interested

There is an add looking for one. He is in PA.

#1425 3 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

There is an add looking for one. He is in PA.

Thanks for the heads up, I did send him a message but never heard back.

I was told this game was HUO which it could’ve been so it’s in nice shape,I guess it’s just time after 25 years.

#1426 3 years ago

New to the older games, my Tommy flippers just stopped working. One minute good, next nothing. Where to start? Any assistance is appreciated. Just need a path.

#1427 3 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

New to the older games, my Tommy flippers just stopped working. One minute good, next nothing. Where to start? Any assistance is appreciated. Just need a path.

check the fuses, then go buy the manual for the game about $20.0-30.00 on Ebarf if you don't have one.

#1428 3 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

The first thing to check is the flipper board, it has the flipper fuses. Leave the game on and hit the flipper buttons, one at a time. Look for a red led to light on the flipper board when hit. 2 for the left,1 for the right. Check the flipper cabinet switches, too. Yes, a manual is a must.
The flipper board is under the Playfield, mounted on the left wall. Hope this helps.

#1429 3 years ago

Thanks Hippy, by the flipper cabinet switches, do you mean the internal parts of the buttons themselves? I downloaded a manual and know where the fuses are, but cabinet switches are not annotated anywhere.

#1430 3 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

The first thing to check is the flipper board, it has the flipper fuses. Leave the game on and hit the flipper buttons, one at a time. Look for a red led to light on the flipper board when hit. 2 for the left,1 for the right. Check the flipper cabinet switches, too. Yes, a manual is a must.
The flipper board is under the Playfield, mounted on the left wall. Hope this helps.

Thanks Hippy. Followed the flow chart, SSFB was getting LED illumination, and 79V to the CN2 pins 11,12. Checked the PPB and the F5 fuse was good, all fuses were good. Checked the J7 pins 1,2,3 on the PPB and was getting 79v as well. According to the flowchart, i am looking at a new SSFB.

Does this jive with what others have found? Anything the flowchart did not address that may be the cause?

#1431 3 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

Thanks Hippy. Followed the flow chart, SSFB was getting LED illumination, and 79V to the CN2 pins 11,12. Checked the PPB and the F5 fuse was good, all fuses were good. Checked the J7 pins 1,2,3 on the PPB and was getting 79v as well. According to the flowchart, i am looking at a new SSFB.
Does this jive with what others have found? Anything the flowchart did not address that may be the cause?

On the cabinet switches,I was talking about the leaf- style flipper buttons. I got tired of mine giving me grief, and replaced them, problem solved.
It sounds like you need a SSFB. Rottendog is all there is, they’re good. Do you have another DE or, Sega to swap boards with for a test? Also, those transistors on the same board go out, too, easy to replace. If you have a meter, there is about 4, they will test. I think they are. .5 - .8 on the diode setting.

#1432 3 years ago

I restored a Tommy from non-working with 7 blown fuses. It appears that it got a bit wet. I still have to replace the bottom board of the cabinet, but other than that, it is working great.

There are a few issues that I am not happy about. If anyone can give me pointers, I would appreciate it.

* The shot to the VUK is tough. Just getting through the posts is hard and much of the time it bounces out. I installed a Cliffy protector. Am thinking of taking that out and widening the hole just a tad and putting on thinner rubber on the posts.

* Shooting into the scoop on the left is darned near impossible. A normal shot off the right flipper goes up the left loop. I have to let the ball fall off the edge of the flipper to have a chance. Getting the left or right targets is a challenge. I know that the scoop had been bent. It seemed to push the plastic way up. I lowered it a little and twisted it a bit to keep the shot out of the VUK from draining.

* And getting up the right ramp from the upper left flipper is extremely tough.

Comments, suggestions? Adjust the flippers down a bit?

IMG_9961 (resized).jpgIMG_9961 (resized).jpgIMG_9962 (resized).jpgIMG_9962 (resized).jpgIMG_9964 (resized).jpgIMG_9964 (resized).jpg
#1433 3 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I restored a Tommy from non-working with 7 blown fuses. It appears that it got a bit wet. I still have to replace the bottom board of the cabinet, but other than that, it is working great.
There are a few issues that I am not happy about. If anyone can give me pointers, I would appreciate it.
* The shot to the VUK is tough. Just getting through the posts is hard and much of the time it bounces out. I installed a Cliffy protector. Am thinking of taking that out and widening the hole just a tad and putting on thinner rubber on the posts.
* Shooting into the scoop on the left is darned near impossible. A normal shot off the right flipper goes up the left loop. I have to let the ball fall off the edge of the flipper to have a chance. Getting the left or right targets is a challenge. I know that the scoop had been bent. It seemed to push the plastic way up. I lowered it a little and twisted it a bit to keep the shot out of the VUK from draining.
Comments, suggestions? Adjust the flippers down a bit?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Mine is very similar man.
Its just the way the game plays I belive ? I've had mine a few weeks and pretty much the same here ,.
Just a tough game..

#1434 3 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

Comments, suggestions? Adjust the flippers down a bit?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I dropped my flippers a couple of mm and it made the scoop shot, the targets, holiday trapped ball and the loop much more accessible. The scoop is still the hardest, but now way better. It didn't take much of an adjustment to make a big difference.

I find that the right ramp is a shot that I can consistently make by hitting the ball at the very tip of the flipper. More the angle than the strength of the shot. That's at least the way it works on my game.

#1435 3 years ago

Installed a 8 inch gazing ball. Perfecto..

IMG_20201013_162940_970 (resized).jpgIMG_20201013_162940_970 (resized).jpg
#1436 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Installed a 8 inch gazing ball. Perfecto..
[quoted image]

I bought a gazing ball for my Tommy. Never made it to the game...

E183E9F3-AB02-49FC-91C1-4A8FF49D3D12 (resized).jpegE183E9F3-AB02-49FC-91C1-4A8FF49D3D12 (resized).jpeg
#1437 3 years ago

Anyone have Pin Stadium in their Tommy?

#1438 3 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

Some tips for you. The VUK, put an inch of window seal foam in the back. It will prevent you ball bouncing out. For the right ramp, clean the gate and wax the ramp. Also clean the flipper assembly often for the upper third flipper. For the left scoop, I can usually backhand it, but you will get better on the timing for the right flipper as well. I also have more success backhanding from the right flipper to the VUK.

#1439 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Anyone have Pin Stadium in their Tommy?

I considered it, but decided to do a modest LED job and then added mirror blades. Just enough pop and cheaper than pin stadiums.

#1440 3 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Some tips for you. The VUK, put an inch of window seal foam in the back. It will prevent you ball bouncing out. For the right ramp, clean the gate and wax the ramp. Also clean the flipper assembly often for the upper third flipper. For the left scoop, I can usually backhand it, but you will get better on the timing for the right flipper as well. I also have more success backhanding from the right flipper to the VUK.

Quoted from Milltown:

Mine is very similar man.
Its just the way the game plays I belive ? I've had mine a few weeks and pretty much the same here ,.
Just a tough game..

Quoted from zahner:

I dropped my flippers a couple of mm and it made the scoop shot, the targets, holiday trapped ball and the loop much more accessible. The scoop is still the hardest, but now way better. It didn't take much of an adjustment to make a big difference.
I find that the right ramp is a shot that I can consistently make by hitting the ball at the very tip of the flipper. More the angle than the strength of the shot. That's at least the way it works on my game.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I took a look at the Cliffy. Of course I should know better. It is spot on the original hole. I think the ball tends to 'slide' over the metal and not go down the hole as easily? But enlarging it would accomplish nothing.

I have thinner post sleeves in my cart from Pinball Life.
https://www.pinballlife.com/perfectplay-1-116-thin-stern-compatible-rubber-post-sleeve.html

But in the meantime, I took out the right post and wore down and flattened the thicker sleeve by sanding with a Dremel. It made it easier to get a shot in the VUK, but not too easy.

"The VUK, put an inch of window seal foam in the back." I tried that. Maybe the window seal I used was different from yours. Mine had fairly open cells and compressed easier. I tried putting it on all three sides, then two and finally the back. It did not seem to help - I felt like it made it worse? But thanks for the suggestion. I will find some other material and try again.

I dropped the flippers a little. On closer examination, the alignment pins look a bit high to be in line with the lane guides, so I don't feel like I am cheating. It made a big difference. Still hard to get into the scoop, but now I have a bit of a chance to hit the left and right targets, while I can still make the other shots.

My scores have about doubled. I think I have to change the settings.

#1441 3 years ago

I am looking at getting a PinSound board for Tommy. Anyone know if I can install it for Tommy, then if I decide to sell it, remove it and put the board in a WPC pin?

Also, I have spare 32GB USB sticks around. I cannot find what the max size that it can accept. I figure why buy a 16GB when I have unused 32GB sitting around.

#1442 3 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I am looking at getting a PinSound board for Tommy. Anyone know if I can install it for Tommy, then if I decide to sell it, remove it and put the board in a WPC pin?
Also, I have spare 32GB USB sticks around. I cannot find what the max size that it can accept. I figure why buy a 16GB when I have unused 32GB sitting around.

You can swap it out. Just need to put the other software package on the card when you install it in the pin, boot to it and wait, then all set. Just make sure the 32gb meets the speed requirements posted on their site. I believe it will read 32gb.

#1443 3 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

Just ordered pinsound plus for mine...

#1444 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Just ordered pinsound plus for mine...

Get a PinWoofer setup to go with it. I did.

#1445 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Get a PinWoofer setup to go with it. I did.

Me too - it made a big difference.

#1446 3 years ago

A couple Pinsound orchestrations to choose from if you like original Who music, that I created:

All original Who music (all missions replaced with Who songs):

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/302-all-who-songs_pinballjah-v2/

All missions replaced with original Who songs from the Tommy album (plus other Who songs):

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/284-tommy_pinballjah_v2/

#1447 3 years ago

Hi all. I have had my Tommy for a bit over 5 years now and still love it.
I have tinkered and added bits over the years and think I have got it to where I want it for now. But want to add colour DMD. Has anyone got led v lcd on Tommy machine please.
See YouTube link of video of Tommy.
I have added plane lighting and blinking less to explosions in back area, lighting to rear of playfield and pop bumpers. Also to launch lane and trough areas.
Blue lighting to scoops and also Holiday area and blue captive ball. Different coloured less to Main Union Jack to tie in with other inserts for modes.
Possibly a few other bits and pieces.
Hope you like.
Hopefully Next up colour DMD and Pinsound. But shipping and dollar exchange rate is a killer at the moment to Australia.

#1448 3 years ago
Quoted from Sandman454:

I have tinkered and added bits over the years and think I have got it to where I want it for now. But want to add colour DMD. Has anyone got led v lcd on Tommy machine please.
I have added plane lighting and blinking less to explosions in back area, lighting to rear of playfield and pop bumpers. Also to launch lane and trough areas.
Blue lighting to scoops and also Holiday area and blue captive ball. Different coloured less to Main Union Jack to tie in with other inserts for modes.
Hope you like.
Hopefully Next up colour DMD and Pinsound. But shipping and dollar exchange rate is a killer at the moment to Australia.

If you're talking about the color dmd that colordmd.com sells, he only sells this in the LED format for Tommy due to height issues I believe I was told by him...now if your going to go with some of those other led panels I've seen some install...I don't know about those...I like it though...I mean what's not to like about a color screen....

#1449 3 years ago
Quoted from Sandman454:

Hope you like.

Apparently one can cut away a portion of the speaker panel to accommodate an LCD display. It casts a slight shadow at the base of the translite. I’ve seen the LCD installed in a Tommy and I have an LED color DMD in mine and I think the LED is perfect. Very bright and vibrant colors. Easy fit and install (although the instructions are oddly missing a step or two). Just seemed the way to go for me and I couldn’t be happier.

#1450 3 years ago
Quoted from Sandman454:

Hopefully Next up colour DMD and Pinsound.

Many people find that you get more enjoyment out of the pinsound. Reason being that you're always hearing the music/sound and only sometimes looking at the display. For a music pin, that's doubly the case, IMO.

Not my video, but this makes the case pretty well

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/29 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.