(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png
There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 46.
#1351 3 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Was Ron looking for one for you as well or is his different?

Ron is looking on my behalf.

#1352 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Ron is looking on my behalf.

Sending you a message

1 week later
#1353 3 years ago

Pretty quite in the Tommy thread these days. New decal I added recently.

3B570014-711A-4F77-9D0F-4A6FFD420D86 (resized).jpeg3B570014-711A-4F77-9D0F-4A6FFD420D86 (resized).jpeg
#1354 3 years ago

Picking one up this week... Im in..

#1355 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Picking one up this week... Im in..

Welcome aboard. Awesome game with many worthy opportunities for you to spend copious money on some really great upgrades. Great game to boot! Nothing beats those flipper blinders....

#1356 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Welcome aboard. Awesome game with many worthy opportunities for you to spend copious money on some really great upgrades. Great game to boot! Nothing beats those flipper blinders....

Thanx man

Looking forward to it..
Whats the latest codes to date ? 5.0 ? I hsve a feeling there the original ones stil on board...

#1357 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Thanx man
Looking forward to it..
Whats the latest codes to date ? 5.0 ? I hsve a feeling there the original ones stil on board...

You want the modified code...look back a few pages where the details are listed...I think Soren did it...great upgrade

#1358 3 years ago

How can you tell if your Tommy Pinball Silver topper is legit or some sort of a replacement? Just curious.

#1359 3 years ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

How can you tell if your Tommy Pinball Silver topper is legit or some sort of a replacement? Just curious.

The real one has a base that fits the big hole on the top of the head. Looks more like a big round silver lightbulb. The homemade ones, like mine, are usually spheres made of plastic (mine was a jumbo outdoor Christmas ornament) or metal (a glazing ball). The replacement ones are then attached in a variety of ways that usually involve a metal plate or rod that is screwed into the bottom of the fake one.
If you’re asking about a reproduction done to the specifications of the original, I am not aware that such a beast exists. If it did, I couldn’t tell you how to tell the difference. But also, if it did exist, I’d love to hear about it.

#1360 3 years ago

I've never understood the fascination with the OEM Tommy topper. It's cheap plastic. There are literally stainless steel gazing balls (8" or 10", depending on you preference) that are a much superior upgrade in material quality besides being a much more faithful example of a pinball. You can polish these things up to a complete mirror shine.

I had an original topper and switched it out for SS gazing ball. Huge improvement.

#1361 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Pretty quite in the Tommy thread these days. New decal I added recently.
[quoted image]

It has been quiet here!
All the pieces are finally coming together fir my Tommy. The Tommy I bought from Jopo8157 has been shipped to Jjsmooth for restoration. Finding a playfield was a real bitch. I won’t go into the details, I ended up getting a nice play field from Dallas_Pin and has it shipped to CaptainNeo for restoration. It will have a ColorDMD, Pinsound and PinWoofer set up installed.

#1362 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

It has been quiet here!
All the pieces are finally coming together fir my Tommy. The Tommy I bought from jopo8157 has been shipped to jjsmooth for restoration. Finding a playfield was a real bitch. I won’t go into the details, I ended up getting a nice play field from dallas_pin and has it shipped to captainneo for restoration. It will have a ColorDMD, Pinsound and PinWoofer set up installed.

Sounds like you are going full out on this one. You may want to look into the Who translite as well that they now sell out of Europe. Btw, I thought space was tight in Hong Kong, how can you have room for 67 games? Do you own an arcade there?

#1363 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Sounds like you are going full out on this one. You may want to look into the Who translite as well that they now sell out of Europe. Btw, I thought space was tight in Hong Kong, how can you have room for 67 games? Do you own an arcade there?

I’ll look into the translate. Do you have a source?
I’ve been in Hong Kong five years, but my collection is back in the USA.

#1364 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

I’ll look into the translate. Do you have a source?
I’ve been in Hong Kong five years, but my collection is back in the USA.

You must miss the collection. Here is the translite source:

https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/the-whos-tommy-hand-drawn-pinball-translite/?currency=USD

#1365 3 years ago

Picked up today.. 540 mile round trip.. Great shape...few bugs.. Great $$ ..
In need of a topper and the small plastic to the left of the left ramp entrance...
Auto shooter is out of wack as well.
Gonna dive in this wknd...

IMG_20200924_204804_789 (resized).jpgIMG_20200924_204804_789 (resized).jpg
#1366 3 years ago

Hey guys, looking at a potential Tommy. Did they all originally come with the blinders? If so and they are missing, what is the drama with getting repros and adding them back in. Thanks in advance, I need the Silver Ball!!!

#1367 3 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

Hey guys, looking at a potential Tommy. Did they all originally come with the blinders? If so and they are missing, what is the drama with getting repros and adding them back in. Thanks in advance, I need the Silver Ball!!!

The game always had blinders as far as I know and they are a must. Once you upgrade the software to v5.0 (think that’s the version designation), they are used a bit more. Several folks make a reproduction. Here is a blinder set up on Pinside:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1203-thedudemods/02682-tommy-blinder-assembly-repro

#1368 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Picked up today.. 540 mile round trip.. Great shape...few bugs.. Great $$ ..
In need of a topper and the small plastic to the left of the left ramp entrance...
Auto shooter is out of wack as well.
Gonna dive in this wknd...
[quoted image]

What are those red marks on the head decals? Is the head red under the decals? Haven't seen that before.

#1369 3 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

TNT sells an upgraded servo board and new servo for around 80.00, blinds themselves not included

#1370 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

What are those red marks on the head decals? Is the head red under the decals? Haven't seen that before.

Some one thought they were artsy .. Haha .

#1371 3 years ago

If you need just the servo/arm assembly. I still make and sell a replacement.

#1372 3 years ago

My tommy is missing 1 plastic to the left of the left ramp entrance... Platic no 4 I belive ? Maybe no 9..? Can any one tell me for sure ?
Also anyone have 1 they are willing to sell ?
I can score no,9 on the eBay but no 4 is not there ?
Thank u...

0925201444 (resized).jpg0925201444 (resized).jpgScreenshot_2020-09-25-14-44-39 (resized).pngScreenshot_2020-09-25-14-44-39 (resized).png
#1373 3 years ago

Well we are in!!!! Just picked up our Tommy, it needs a good bit of work, but I am actually looking forward to it. It plays great, but just needs a ton of TLC. Here is what wows me. We currently own 3 other pins Star W Prem, GB Pro, and JP Prem, all of them show dimpling and really aren't that old. Tommy is a 26 year old machine that was on route and probably has 50,000 plays (i'm guessing) and the playfield looks great. what the hell has happened to QA now a days.

For the current owners out there, what is the best source for parts? Need to replace the mirror, the bomber has a crack in it etc....

Also, how in the hell do I work on the cabinet? Point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Ain't got no distractions......

#1374 3 years ago

Few minor bugs on my new Tommy are worked out..
Time to clean

New rubbers / comet led...

#1375 3 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

and the playfield looks great.

Here’s an example of a ‘used’ Tommy PF that had no work done on it. Smooth .. your observations are spot on. My GnR and DESW are the same

441DAE74-7A5B-46A9-B723-A69FBD3F0C00 (resized).jpeg441DAE74-7A5B-46A9-B723-A69FBD3F0C00 (resized).jpeg
#1376 3 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Here’s an example of a ‘used’ Tommy PF that had no work done on it. Smooth .. your observations are spot on. My GnR and DESW are the same
[quoted image]

Hey! That PF looks familiar!

#1377 3 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

Well we are in!!!! Just picked up our Tommy, it needs a good bit of work, but I am actually looking forward to it. It plays great, but just needs a ton of TLC. Here is what wows me. We currently own 3 other pins Star W Prem, GB Pro, and JP Prem, all of them show dimpling and really aren't that old. Tommy is a 26 year old machine that was on route and probably has 50,000 plays (i'm guessing) and the playfield looks great. what the hell has happened to QA now a days.
For the current owners out there, what is the best source for parts? Need to replace the mirror, the bomber has a crack in it etc....
Also, how in the hell do I work on the cabinet? Point me in the right direction. Thanks.
Ain't got no distractions......

I think you can replace the mirror decal on the mirror if that helps.

#1378 3 years ago

Mirror decal
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-5905-Mirror

If I remember correctly, the plastic bomber is unobtainium.

#1379 3 years ago

1st night of a deep clean and comet led bulbs install..
Adjusted the ball shooter . few other adjustments . working perfect ..
New rubbers / balls installed,.,
Alternate translight / British flag target pads ordered ,,,
Pinsound / kids are alright cabinet art next.... And cliffys protectors...

IMG_20200927_025414_209 (resized).jpgIMG_20200927_025414_209 (resized).jpg

#1380 3 years ago

How is yours all lit up like that. Even before the LEDs. The one I bought seems dark as hell, and the trans light just illuminates TOMMY with an occasional burst from the lower lights in it. The slings are never lit and the outlanes just light occasionally.

Since I am brand new to this machine, I just don't know what I don't know. But I do know it is super dark. On the first shot, the only thing, and I mean only thing, on the board that is lit is the skill shot.

#1381 3 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

How is yours all lit up like that. Even before the LEDs. The one I bought seems dark as hell, and the trans light just illuminates TOMMY with an occasional burst from the lower lights in it. The slings are never lit and the outlanes just light occasionally.
Since I am brand new to this machine, I just don't know what I don't know. But I do know it is super dark. On the first shot, the only thing, and I mean only thing, on the board that is lit is the skill shot.

Check your GI connectors. Probably burnt pins and connector housing.

#1382 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Check your GI connectors. Probably burnt pins and connector housing.

Agreed. Absolutely should not be dark. Mine almost looks like it has Pin-Stadiums. I did add a couple of spots on the slings just to give it a tad more, but it really should be a fairly bright PF.

#1383 3 years ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

original has a plastic base that screws into the top of the backbox, most people just use gazing balls as a replacement.

#1384 3 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

original has a plastic base that screws into the top of the backbox, most people just use gazing balls as a replacement.

D9C0728D-8891-448F-BDF3-6B809A4BF26E (resized).jpegD9C0728D-8891-448F-BDF3-6B809A4BF26E (resized).jpeg
#1385 3 years ago

Does anyone know if Stern Lolipop side rails will fit on a Tommy?

#1386 3 years ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

always heard that they will. just off a tad i believe.

#1387 3 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

No more pegs, very nice. The 2 bottom screws are threaded into existing spots. The 4 top screws are hex screws. Spike system, Pinball Life. I believe it has a lower profile than the Sam.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I dig this...

#1388 3 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

Deff some bad burnt connectors more then likley .opd bulbs.. Bad sockets maybe ? What was the pins life before u ?

#1389 3 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

How is yours all lit up like that. Even before the LEDs. The one I bought seems dark as hell,

You might have this?

IMG_4416 (resized).JPGIMG_4416 (resized).JPG
#1390 3 years ago
Quoted from Catch86:

You might have this?
[quoted image]

Ouch

I'm missimg part of my back box lighting...
Ive been suspicious of this plug on mine.. Haha dive back in tommorow..

#1391 3 years ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

Yes they will, I have fitted them to a Tommy. As was mentioned the flipper holes are very slightly off but ok with a bit of fettling.

#1392 3 years ago

Have what I thought was an immaculate Tommy, never a problem, then suddenly when I turn it on the propellers constantly spin, can't start a game and the DMD is out along with some of the lighting. When I turn the machine off, all the "dead" things, momentarily flash on, so I know they're not really dead. This happened when I played a couple of games, went to the office for a while, then was heading upstairs and decided to play one more game. Anything specific to look for when the propellers constantly propel?

#1393 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Mirror decal
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-5905-Mirror
If I remember correctly, the plastic bomber is unobtainium.

Yep - very occasionally a bomber will surface on Ebay. But pretty scarce.

#1394 3 years ago
Quoted from AntennaMan:

Have what I thought was an immaculate Tommy, never a problem, then suddenly when I turn it on the propellers constantly spin, can't start a game and the DMD is out along with some of the lighting. When I turn the machine off, all the "dead" things, momentarily flash on, so I know they're not really dead. This happened when I played a couple of games, went to the office for a while, then was heading upstairs and decided to play one more game. Anything specific to look for when the propellers constantly propel?

Have you checked the fuses?

#1395 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

1st night of a deep clean and comet led bulbs install..
Adjusted the ball shooter . few other adjustments . working perfect ..
New rubbers / balls installed,.,
Alternate translight / British flag target pads ordered ,,,
Pinsound / kids are alright cabinet art next.... And cliffys protectors...
[quoted image]

Tilt Graphics now sells side blades for Tommy, if you are looking to spend a bit more money

https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/product-page/union-jack-gameblades

#1396 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Tilt Graphics now sells side blades for Tommy, if you are looking to spend a bit more money
https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/product-page/union-jack-gameblades

Yup

,these are the blades I was digging...

#1397 3 years ago
Quoted from AntennaMan:

I would try reseating all of the ribbon cables. Also check very closely for any signs of battery acid damage.

#1398 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Hey! That PF looks familiar!

Up close, it looks like it had dimpling, but it's reflections of the lights behind it. Enjoy it in your new build and you'll enjoy the PinWoofer treatment in it! The new amps are AMAZING!

#1399 3 years ago

Anyone have a vendor that has or sells the back box door latch..
Not the lock ..the part that latches the door on the back box ? Used ? New ?
Thanx in advance....

#1400 3 years ago

Fixed the bsck box lighting wich half was out..
Added 2 spotlights
2 5 inch strips behind the bomber / back plastics .
Also added a red flasher tied into the bomb flasher..
Adding some xtra interactive lighting to the bomber as well.

0929200027a (resized).jpg0929200027a (resized).jpg0929200028a_HDR (resized).jpg0929200028a_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20200929_005145_866 (resized).jpgIMG_20200929_005145_866 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/28?hl=antennaman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.