(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png
There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 46.
#1251 4 years ago

Thanks, will check it out. Replaced my ROMs and it reset my settings. Any other settings that are worth changing? I like the 4th ball option on my games as well.

#1252 4 years ago

Just picked up a Tommy and while going through the machine replacing the pins and connectors and such I noted the the CN3 connector on the MPU board (Rottendog MPU004) was originally a 12 pin connector utilizing 10 of the pins. the connector was attached with three of the pins hanging over the edge, with two of the pins not connected to anything. So for those of you who are familiar with installing a Roggendog board- how are this connector supposed to be connected? Are some wire supposed to be moved to another connector? the two wires that are hanging outside are the 5v and blanking to the display board. Everything seems to be working? No response from Rottendog.

2 weeks later
#1253 4 years ago

I'm doing bulbs and rubbers on my Tommy and mine didn't have rubber sleeves on the posts that hold the captive ball. Are there supposed to be rubbers there? Not sure if I should put rubbers there or not.

#1254 4 years ago

Yes

DB13ED6B-8847-4DF7-AC00-4830E835BF08 (resized).jpegDB13ED6B-8847-4DF7-AC00-4830E835BF08 (resized).jpeg
#1255 4 years ago
Quoted from Kratogen:

I'm doing bulbs and rubbers on my Tommy and mine didn't have rubber sleeves on the posts that hold the captive ball. Are there supposed to be rubbers there? Not sure if I should put rubbers there or not.

My Tommy still had all of the original factory rubber in it when I got it. There were no rubbers installed on those posts (which I suppose could make the shot less risky?). I wasn't a fan of the metal to metal contact there though and used one of Titan's thin Stern sleeves, which seems like a good in-between.

I created this diagram of the original factory rubber configuration (which is a little different from the manual) a while back. Maybe you'll find it useful:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/8#post-3166167

#1256 4 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

I created this diagram of the original factory rubber configuration (which is a little different from the manual) a while back. Maybe you'll find it useful:

That was you? Thank you for that chart! I used it while figuring out what I needed from Titan. I also went Stern slim on those posts. Not a fan of metal on metal either!

#1257 4 years ago

Just got my Tommy, going through things and have a simple question.. How many balls go in this machine? my lockdown bar decal says 4, but isn't there a 6 ball mulitball in this game?

#1258 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Just got my Tommy, going through things and have a simple question.. How many balls go in this machine? my lockdown bar decal says 4, but isn't there a 6 ball mulitball in this game?

Six balls, welcome to the club.

#1259 4 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Six balls, welcome to the club.

Yep. Definitely 6 balls.

2 weeks later
#1260 4 years ago

Anyone install the shaker motor by Pinsound? Curious as to how its different than the stock Data East one...I see it has various level adjustment and that it can be activated at any point in the game. I don't have a shaker motor in my Tommy so nothing to compare it to...(plus I still haven't got it to boot).

#1261 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Anyone install the shaker motor by Pinsound? Curious as to how its different than the stock Data East one...I see it has various level adjustment and that it can be activated at any point in the game. I don't have a shaker motor in my Tommy so nothing to compare it to...(plus I still haven't got it to boot).

I did. I like it. I have to adjust some of the explosion effects (I went a bit overboard). Very easy to adjust and I’m fundamentally a Luddite when it comes to computer programming type things. Very cool.

1 week later
#1262 4 years ago

Is there any way to get the Tommy V5.00 without buying an EPROM burner? Does anyone sell an EPROM with the 5.00 already installed?

#1263 4 years ago
Quoted from Kratogen:

Is there any way to get the Tommy V5.00 without buying an EPROM burner? Does anyone sell an EPROM with the 5.00 already installed?

Buy one from a member who has a burner?

#1264 4 years ago

Meloyelo51 used to make Roms, he probably still does

#1265 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Buy one from a member who has a burner?

johnwartjr did mine. He also sells a nifty tool to more easily pull the old rom chip out (without destroying a leg).

#1266 3 years ago

i can supply these. I am running them in my Tommy. I am rompingirl on ebay but direct is better.

#1267 3 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

i can supply these. I am running them in my Tommy. I am rompingirl on ebay but direct is better.

I was trying to dig up who did mine, and this popped up and reminded me. Rompingirl did mine. Fast delivery, reasonable cost, worked perfectly.

#1268 3 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

Meloyelo51 used to make Roms, he probably still does

Thanks everyone, purchased one from Meloyelo51 at mattsbasementarcade.com
Glad to see Astill is also offering...

#1269 3 years ago

Meant to do this awhile back, but I just posted my 3D printed Tommy flipper toppers in the Market: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/95182

Tommy (resized).jpgTommy (resized).jpgpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1270 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Meant to do this awhile back, but I just posted my 3D printed Tommy flipper toppers in the Market: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/95182[quoted image][quoted image]

I installed these and they are top notch. Everyone who plays the games notes and comments on how well they compliment the game. Excellent mod.

#1271 3 years ago

My Tommy left VUK (acid queen) is kicking out between the flippers.

What is the best way to adjust the kick-out?

#1272 3 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Hi Julian. Sometimes if you slacken off the screws on the underside securing the scoop you can just move it slightly one way or the other, then retighten. Only needs to move a fraction to change trajectory.

It's always a bit dangerous that kick out.

#1273 3 years ago

Having the same issue, I had to use a wood epoxy and fill three of the holes, re-aligned the whole unit, and then after testing, re-drilled new holes(right next to the old pretty much). but now it hits the right flipper enough not to drain.

#1274 3 years ago

Are you guys talking about the scoop on the left next to the upper flipper? Mine has always kicked to middle of the left flipper.

#1275 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Are you guys talking about the scoop on the left next to the upper flipper? Mine has always kicked to middle of the left flipper.

That's the one I'm talking about....I believe I tried going both ways with it....not sure how everyone else's shoots...could always try the other way (left flipper)

#1276 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Yes. Mine kicks out to the left flipper. It has always had a small level of variance to it though - occasionally you will get a dangerous kick out

1 week later
#1277 3 years ago

So sorted the left scoop kick out, thanks Tommy club.

Next strange thing is the menu buttons only take me in to Diagnostics, the latch button does not appear to work.
So I was about to replace it but thought best test it first and found that with a multi-meter it does work, so I guess the wire from that switch going into the machine is loose or something.
Where does this go to? i.e. where should I check.

Cheers folks

#1278 3 years ago

So sorted the left scoop kick out, thanks Tommy club.
Next strange thing is the menu buttons only take me in to Diagnostics, the latch button does not appear to work.
So I was about to replace it but thought best test it first and found that with a multi-meter it does work, so I guess the wire from that switch going into the machine is loose or something.
Where does this go to? i.e. where should I check.
Cheers folks

Those switches connect at CN10 on the main board iirc. Check wiring/continuity back to there. Reseat it a few times.

#1279 3 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Those switches connect at CN10 on the main board iirc. Check wiring/continuity back to there. Reseat it a few times.

Alright Ive, checked CN10 and no luck, just downloaded the manual and found this, it looks like CN14 so will also check that one out.

Tommy (resized).jpgTommy (resized).jpg
#1280 3 years ago

Installed my Pinglides today...playfield slides in like butter now...without the huge "bang bang bang" https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=Pinglides

#1281 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Installed my Pinglides today...playfield slides in like butter now...without the huge "bang bang bang" https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=Pinglides

Could you post a picture of these installed. Are they difficult to put in and I assume they work for a DE given they are made for a Stern? Thanks a lot.

#1282 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Could you post a picture of these installed. Are they difficult to put in and I assume they work for a DE given they are made for a Stern? Thanks a lot.

Easy to install, having the forward bracket installed helps a lot too.

20200510_110830 (resized).jpg20200510_110830 (resized).jpg20200510_110921 (resized).jpg20200510_110921 (resized).jpg15891234866443439923868497801137 (resized).jpg15891234866443439923868497801137 (resized).jpg

#1283 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Easy to install, having the forward bracket installed helps a lot too.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I will try those. The best thing to do is the service rails you put on. I did that on mine, too. No more pegs. What a deal.

#1284 3 years ago

Just a friendly share for those that are interested. I upgraded my Tommy with new speakers and a cheap sub over the weekend. I used the blue Pyle 4inch speakers and a Boss 8inch sub. The Pyle speakers fit nicely and there is clearance for them if you have a speaker light kit installed. I have a Pinsound board on order, but figured I would install these in the meantime. The difference in the depth and quality of the sound is pretty significant. You can actually hear the plane flying left to right and the music sounds much better. Great $50 upgrade and about 10 minutes of easy solder and screws. Cheers!

#1285 3 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Just a friendly share for those that are interested. I upgraded my Tommy with new speakers and a cheap sub over the weekend. I used the blue Pyle 4inch speakers and a Boss 8inch sub. The Pyle speakers fit nicely and there is clearance for them if you have a speaker light kit installed. I have a Pinsound board on order, but figured I would install these in the meantime. The difference in the depth and quality of the sound is pretty significant. You can actually hear the plane flying left to right and the music sounds much better. Great $50 upgrade and about 10 minutes of easy solder and screws. Cheers!

Can you send a link from where you bought them. Thanks.

#1287 3 years ago

So I'm having an issue with my blinders not working. I just replaced the old control board and servo with TNT's updated board. I have all my power supplies, and I'm able to adjust the closed position, but it doesn't activate them at all when in test mode. I'm also not seeing any signal (logic probe) at pin9 at CN2. Can anyone offer some insight as to what kind of signal I should be seeing here....

edit...fixed...a bad trifurcon connection at the board...all working now...damm its hard to play with blinders!

#1288 3 years ago

Looks like the Tommy Translite is now available for sale in the UK:

https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/the-whos-tommy-hand-drawn-pinball-translite/?currency=USD

Plus they are doing a Who version of the side decals. Be interested to see how these look installed:

https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/the-whos-tommy-hand-drawn-pinball-cabinet-decals/

#1289 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Looks like the Tommy Translite is now available for sale in the UK:
https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/the-whos-tommy-hand-drawn-pinball-translite/?currency=USD
Plus they are doing a Who version of the side decals. Be interested to see how these look installed:
https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/the-whos-tommy-hand-drawn-pinball-cabinet-decals/

Yeah, I ordered mine about a week ago. Said it will take about a month to get here. I have the stock one and The Who alternate from them as well. They do solid work.

#1290 3 years ago

So I can't tell if it's my imagination or real. But I feel like my backbox is flashing like crazy lately, the entire box, not just the flashers (which I removed because it was too intense). Is it possible something is going on with a board? I added a pinsound + board to it this week and I feel like it's even worse now. Maybe I am going crazy and it's in my head? I hear the relay clicking like crazy though. Do they go bad?

#1291 3 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

So I can't tell if it's my imagination or real. But I feel like my backbox is flashing like crazy lately, the entire box, not just the flashers (which I removed because it was too intense). Is it possible something is going on with a board? I added a pinsound + board to it this week and I feel like it's even worse now. Maybe I am going crazy and it's in my head? I hear the relay clicking like crazy though. Do they go bad?

I always fine this game flashes way too much. Especially in certain modes. Luckily the game still works fine with all the flashing.

#1292 3 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Did you install LEDs? I did, and at first I thought I was going to go blind or have a seizure or both. I installed Comet "sunlight" bulbs, which are between the really harsh "natural" and the yellow "warm" lights. So, I was surprised at the whole blinding, flashing bit. I installed an EnerGI Maestro - LED GI Smoother, which when dialed in, reduced the impact of the flashing madness to a very nice level and totally solved the problem. Basically, rather than going from 100% off to 100% on with your LEDs, you go a game that fades from off to on.

look here: https://sites.google.com/site/energimaestro/

They may not be available right now, but I believe others are, and the fellow manufacturing these seems to offer up more boards now and again if not available now.

#1293 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I always fine this game flashes way too much. Especially in certain modes. Luckily the game still works fine with all the flashing.

Welcome to Data East world ....where no flashing is too much, and no music is too insane

#1294 3 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Welcome to Data East world ....where no flashing is too much, and no music is too insane

Well, EnerGI Maestro aside, there is a lot of truth in Ive’s statement

#1295 3 years ago

Mine came with all LEDs. First step was to replace all flashers with incandecents. Then I put yellow LEDs behind TOMMY. All I have left to fight off a seizure is to replace all the LEDs in the backbox with incandecents.

#1296 3 years ago

So I went to install my new propeller today, and snapped off the screw that holds it onto the motor shaft. I'm going to have to remove it and attempt to carefully remove the screw. Does anyone know where to get one of these motors if it doesn't work out? Marco doesnt have it in stock

#1297 3 years ago
Quoted from AntennaMan:

Mine came with all LEDs. First step was to replace all flashers with incandecents.

Those outlane flashers with LEDs in them are absolutely brutal!

#1298 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

So I went to install my new propeller today, and snapped off the screw that holds it onto the motor shaft. I'm going to have to remove it and attempt to carefully remove the screw. Does anyone know where to get one of these motors if it doesn't work out? Marco doesnt have it in stock

Ouch

You can get it from Europe
https://pinball-parts.shop/geraetespezifische-suche/data-east/tommy-the-who/22100/propeller-motor

#1299 3 years ago

Yeah I found that too, but it doesn't have the threaded portion which is where I snapped off the screw....

#1300 3 years ago

Long time silent member but finally at the party.
Been owning my Tommy for more than 10 years. Finally finished shopping it last week.
Started about 3 years ago with Pinsound+, ColorDMD led after that. 90% led lighting after that (the last 10% will be done soon), after that i got the pinsound headphone set so i could change the 3 sound mixes i have on the pinsound on the fly, after waiting for what seems forever got a developer shaker kit from the Pinsound brothers after i met Nicolas at the Dutch Pinball Open in 2018 (no shakerization available at that point so when the software released made my own which is now in the code for pinsound cards, a bit proud of that) Did a little editing to the fabulous julien's audio mix (hated the tetris music in videomode so exchanged it with Battlefield 1942 intro tune. Fits perfect in my opinion to the videogame mode) Got a nice new lockbar and siderails to camouflage the wear around the flipperbuttons and last week finally recieved the sideblades to finish it off.
So when if finally reach my savings goal it gets a nice younger brother in the form another little bit British themed Iron Maiden Premium. Now to find a nice Union Jack mat that i can place in front of both machines to stand on while playing them.Only thing left is switching out the glass with that from Iron Maiden when I get that and put antiglare in that one.
After all this time i still love playing this game. It is bolted to the floor.

20200601_212618 (resized).jpg20200601_212618 (resized).jpg20200601_212630 (resized).jpg20200601_212630 (resized).jpg20200601_212634 (resized).jpg20200601_212634 (resized).jpg20200601_212657 (resized).jpg20200601_212657 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 18.95
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 18.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.