(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png
There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 46.
#1201 4 years ago

Does OK, i never look at it.

#1202 4 years ago

What is supposed to go in this spotlight behind the plane? Is it a regular bulb, or a 906 flasher?

Tommy spotlight (resized).jpgTommy spotlight (resized).jpg
#1203 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

What is supposed to go in this spotlight behind the plane? Is it a regular bulb, or a 906 flasher?[quoted image]

Didn’t even know there was a spotlight there.

#1204 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

What is supposed to go in this spotlight behind the plane? Is it a regular bulb, or a 906 flasher?[quoted image]

That isn't factory. Someone has added that.

#1205 4 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

I guess whatever it’s tied to then. Probably ties into GI. So a regular 555

#1206 4 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Great place for it, was thinking last night this area is way too dark.

#1207 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Great place for it, was thinking last night this area is way too dark.

maybe a small strip ...like the ones comet sells that tap into the regular sockets...matrix I believe, under the wing? or right on the stainless steel ramp?

#1208 4 years ago

For anyone that has installed the v5.0 ROM chips in their Tommy, can someone post some photos of their placement. Thanks for the help! If I have a colordmd, does the dmd rom still function ok?

#1209 4 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Thanks! For some reason, it didn't even dawn on me that it might not be factory. I had no idea it was even there until I was shopping the game the other day. I'll have to follow the wires to see what it's tied into.

#1210 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

For anyone that has installed the v5.0 ROM chips in their Tommy, can someone post some photos of their placement. Thanks for the help! If I have a colordmd, does the dmd rom still function ok?

The LED color DMD will will work with 5.0

#1211 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

The LED color DMD will will work with 5.0

Both ColorDMDs work (LED and LCD)... but make sure you have the latest rom update from ColorDMD as they added color for the extended animations that were added with Chad’s 5.0 code.

#1212 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

For anyone that has installed the v5.0 ROM chips in their Tommy, can someone post some photos of their placement ...

Here you go ...

Tommy CPU ROM (resized).jpgTommy CPU ROM (resized).jpgTommy Display ROM (resized).jpgTommy Display ROM (resized).jpg
#1213 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

maybe a small strip ...like the ones comet sells that tap into the regular sockets...matrix I believe, under the wing? or right on the stainless steel ramp?

You are right, matrix from Comet work great. I put 2 led strips, long , on the back of the plane wing. There are colors, I chose white, really lights up all the back. They share a 44 socket that I used from the back corners. Easy stuff, cheap, helps a lot.

#1214 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Here you go ...[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks, anyway to know which end is which?

#1215 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

One end should have a divot. hard to see in the photo.

#1216 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Divot side goes to the right if you match the views in the pics.

#1217 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Hey Punkin, I am currently uploading the v2 Tommy orchestration I just finished to shorten the music after the game ends. There are four random tracks after the game ends (Love reign over me, Behind blue eyes, Tommy can you hear me, Listening to you). I have limited the music to 1 minute and most starts to fade out after around 45 seconds. So this should solve your complaint about the music playing too long after the game ends. Hope you find this fix helpful and you can start to enjoy the orchestration from now on.
I will do the same thing for the other orchestration with the missions from the Tommy soundtrack. Thanks.

Did you upload this version in the end mate? Could you post a link if so?

#1218 4 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Don’t think it worked. Site freezes a lot. Will try again tonight.

#1219 4 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

It was uploaded. But still needs to be approved. Keep an eye out. Thanks.

#1222 4 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

[quoted image]

Strange. Was there on Saturday. Will check with Pinsound guys.

#1223 4 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

[quoted image]

It is there now. Maybe you are the one person that has downloaded it so far lol.

#1224 4 years ago

Not the first but d/l'ing now thanks.

#1225 4 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Not the first but d/l'ing now thanks.

Does it do what you wanted?

#1226 4 years ago

Haven't put it in yet mate, i'll let you know in a couple of days, but thanks for the effort 100%.

#1227 4 years ago

So Just bought a Tommy and want to get ready to install a new Pinsound system. Is the main sub 8in? 5.25 for the backbox speakers? Any issue with the height of the sub as my old High Speed had a clearance issue where the playfield would hit the top of the sub when the playfield was up after I installed the larger speaker.

#1228 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

So Just bought a Tommy and want to get ready to install a new Pinsound system. Is the main sub 8in? 5.25 for the backbox speakers? Any issue with the height of the sub as my old High Speed had a clearance issue where the playfield would hit the top of the sub when the playfield was up after I installed the larger speaker.

I installed a Pinsound board with a PinWoofer sub and no problems with clearance. I started with the pinsound and flipper fidelity sub which also fit fine. Both were 8” subs.

#1229 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I installed a Pinsound board with a PinWoofer sub and no problems with clearance. I started with the pinsound and flipper fidelity sub which also fit fine. Both were 8” subs.

Thanks and I believe the back box speakers are 4in after all....

#1230 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Thanks and I believe the back box speakers are 4in after all....

I think so, and equally a good fit.

#1231 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

I bought the FF Pinsound specific speakers. No issues. If you plan to swap out orchestrations or work on your own, buy a USB extension cord. Best $10 you can spend.

2 weeks later
#1232 4 years ago

Time to do a full LED job on my TOMMY. For the Union Jack red inserts, have you found that red bulbs look the best, or do white bulbs? Not sure which to use since the majority of the insert is red, but the letters are white. Thoughts?

#1233 4 years ago
Quoted from Kratogen:

Time to do a full LED job on my TOMMY. For the Union Jack red inserts, have you found that red bulbs look the best, or do white bulbs? Not sure which to use since the majority of the insert is red, but the letters are white. Thoughts?

I went with Comet sunlight white throughout. They are excellent and do not washout any of the color inserts. I added some spotlights and color accent lights under the ramps.
You should also get an EnerGI board otherwise the flashing is way too intense.
Happy to share some more detail and better photos. These downloaded at a low resolution and look crappy. Couldn’t delete them. If any colors look washed out, it’s the photos. Insert colors are quite rich. Also PF is much brighter in person - once again, crap photos.

7AFE0378-E21D-4C1B-B42B-833657023479 (resized).jpeg7AFE0378-E21D-4C1B-B42B-833657023479 (resized).jpeg6E95C010-81C0-487D-BC17-FD5B07500A5A (resized).jpeg6E95C010-81C0-487D-BC17-FD5B07500A5A (resized).jpegBBE8004F-E79A-4C9A-B3DA-DA73F535AB45 (resized).jpegBBE8004F-E79A-4C9A-B3DA-DA73F535AB45 (resized).jpegB465144C-7416-4C2D-8556-DE5C090D7ED2 (resized).jpegB465144C-7416-4C2D-8556-DE5C090D7ED2 (resized).jpegC3F5C777-3F29-443F-B5D8-1F93E6D631CA (resized).jpegC3F5C777-3F29-443F-B5D8-1F93E6D631CA (resized).jpeg
#1234 4 years ago

I second Comet Sunlights. Great bulbs!

#1235 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I went with Comet sunlight white throughout. They are excellent and do not washout any of the color inserts. I added some spotlights and color accent lights under the ramps.
Happy to share some more detail and better photos. These downloaded at a low resolution and look crappy. Couldn’t delete them. If any colors look washed out, it’s the photos. Insert colors are quite rich. Also PF is much brighter in person - once again, crap photos.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I see you went with the MR_Tantrum Union Jack decals. Great addition IMO.

#1236 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Happy to share some more detail and better photos. These downloaded at a low resolution and look crappy. Couldn’t delete them. If any colors look washed out, it’s the photos. Insert colors are quite rich. Also PF is much brighter in person - once again, crap photos.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

So it appears that the EnerGI board isnt available anymore. Are there any other options? Do you think he will make more? I sent an email but havent heard back yet. Might have to find someone who wants to sell theirs.

#1237 4 years ago

I did go with with the Mr. Tantrum stickers and flipper covers. Really like the effect

As far as the EnerGI, people do sell them used and I think there is another board type available - although I cannot recall what it’s called.

1 week later
#1238 4 years ago

Find me a Kiss Pro and the deal goes through, get a FREE Tommy translite. Start searching!

AFCD37C8-B2CB-4D2E-8507-EE9C6DED35A4 (resized).jpegAFCD37C8-B2CB-4D2E-8507-EE9C6DED35A4 (resized).jpeg
#1239 4 years ago

Im having trouble with my union jack vuk. the parts look newer and clean , but it only pops out 1 in 4 times. it was too powerful with a 23-800 so i stuck in a 24 -940 , it has a lot of power though. i think the wobbly head of the vuk is pushing it up not straight. im just seeing if someone else had this issue and solved it.

#1240 4 years ago

Installed my pinsound today ...question
..how do you toggle between sound versions...on my William's games I use the plus and minus buttons...but how to do with a data east game with no volume buttons?

#1241 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

..how do you toggle between sound versions...on my William's games I use the plus and minus buttons...but how to do with a data east game with no volume buttons?

I never could get that to work. Curious to see what people offer.

#1242 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Inside the game, turn toggle to end twice in a row. Should make a sound. I run an USB extension cord and buy cheap USB cards $5. A lot easier and they always work.

#1243 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Inside the game, turn toggle to end twice in a row. Should make a sound. I run an USB extension cord and buy cheap USB cards $5. A lot easier and they always work.

You mean the original volume control potentiometer? Twice to the left , once it sounds you've changed over ?

#1244 4 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

Im having trouble with my union jack vuk. the parts look newer and clean , but it only pops out 1 in 4 times. it was too powerful with a 23-800 so i stuck in a 24 -940 , it has a lot of power though. i think the wobbly head of the vuk is pushing it up not straight. im just seeing if someone else had this issue and solved it.

Mine will *occasionally* have to have a 2nd attempt .... but 75% fail means something isn't right.

I would double check the Super VUK assembly. Check all parts secure and everything looks good. Check the kicker cap isn't damaged / missing any of the 4 lugs that cradle the ball.

Make sure you have the correct plunger and kicker cap fitted - not unknown for previous owners/techs to use the wrong parts.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/2579/Data_East_1994_The_Who_s_Tommy_Pinball_Wizard_Manual.pdf

#1245 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

You mean the original volume control potentiometer? Twice to the left , once it sounds you've changed over ?

Yes, the original. I think that is it. The pinsound headphone control is good for this feature as well. Think they are $50

#1246 4 years ago

one more thing , my super vuk wire form has , at the end , only two extended tines , both at the top , what do the other ones look like? it seems there are a couple different?the reason i ask is when the super vuk works , it some times puts the ball in the launch lane.

#1247 4 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

one more thing , my super vuk wire form has , at the end , only two extended tines , both at the top , what do the other ones look like? it seems there are a couple different?the reason i ask is when the super vuk works , it some times puts the ball in the launch lane.

Should have three wires extending beyond the full enclosure. Sort of two on top and one on the right side. Mostly though the ball just drops to the lower ramp once it leaves the full enclosure. The right side wires that extend beyond the full enclosure really only come into play on my game when a ball jets up and those wires keep the ball from over shooting the lower ramp. Make sense??? If the top ramp is aligned correctly, it should never plop into out lane, and definitely not into the launch lane. Absent using a hammer and vice, I couldn’t even adjust my wire form to accomplish that. Can you post a picture. Something sounds weird.

#1248 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

If the top ramp is aligned correctly, it should never plop into out lane, and definitely not into the launch lane. Absent using a hammer and vice, I couldn’t even adjust my wire form to accomplish that. Can you post a picture. Something sounds weird.

Agree.

Mine never fails and have def never seen a ball go into the launch lane !

#1249 4 years ago

Anyone know the adjustment number to extend the ball drain time for a free ball? Thanks.

#1250 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Anyone know the adjustment number to extend the ball drain time for a free ball? Thanks.

https://www.pinballcode.com/tommy5

Adjustment 51

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

$ 45.95
$ 18.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/25?hl=kratogen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.