New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,527 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by Milltown
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 353 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 5.06.15 PM (resized).png
99712771-EA41-4D39-A7B2-769B05C286EE (resized).jpeg
95805C4A-7770-40F4-A310-97724B95C59B (resized).jpeg
50864450-DAB0-4A99-8DF6-9234FB3832DF (resized).jpeg
1013201620_HDR~2 (resized).jpg
1006201324a_HDR~2 (resized).jpg
1006201324_HDR~2 (resized).jpg
92F6864C-89C7-4283-A9B0-39509EA604D8 (resized).jpeg
95560DBC-B2A4-4ABB-839C-FA0792A3604D (resized).jpeg
B0058BF8-3CF5-44B6-9077-4B187D300B47 (resized).jpeg
00E77C84-1B9A-45AB-8FBB-CDB1A8770B69 (resized).jpeg
20190720_212657 (resized).jpg
20190720_212959 (resized).jpg
tommy christmas (resized).jpg
E183E9F3-AB02-49FC-91C1-4A8FF49D3D12 (resized).jpeg

There are 1527 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 31.
#1151 11 months ago
Quoted from zahner:

The Pinsound site says there is a Tommy package, but I don't see how to get to it. I'd like to see that package to see how they put it together. My sound package is different than theirs ( exchanged a few songs) so I needed to do the shaker effects myself.
Just download the PinSound Studio, put your thumb drive in your computer, open the file in the studio and go to the sound effects. highlight and click on the shaker effect you want to add - save. Put it back in your game and you are rumbling away. The files have to be in the latest format and your firmware needs to be up to date.
I got it all working and I'm fundamentally a Luddite when it comes to anything too complex with computer stuff - In other words, if I can do it, anyone can.

when I say "thumb drive" I mean the one from your Pinsound board with your current sound package

#1152 11 months ago

Should be releasing an all ‘The Who’ orchestration shortly. Replaced all of the missions with Who tracks. For those that didn’t want any of the corny tracks. Thanks.

#1153 11 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Hot off the press![quoted image][quoted image]

How did it turn it ?

Was this printed using the file you have ?

#1154 11 months ago
Quoted from Ive:

How did it turn it ?
Was this printed using the file you have ?

Will post photos when installed. Not sure how it will look full size. Can always hang it on the wall if not good enough for a translite.

#1155 11 months ago

Finished my installation of the PinWoofer set up for my Tommy the other day. The sound is very much improved and does the game justice. I have a pinsound plus board, but was kind of “eh...” with the sound. It was good, just not great in my opinion. I love the versatility of the pinsound product, and I also installed their shaker (which is pretty cool). Thought I’d try PinWoofer set up and I’m really happy with the results. The installation was ultimately pretty straight forward. The best thing of all was the outstanding service from Dan Dean. Since I had the pinsound board, I needed a separate power supply, which was pretty cheap (see it below the sub in the photo). The power supply required a certain draw to work, so I added a string of LEDs, which I incorporated into the back box speakers. I ran the power supply off a 110v switched lead that was already installed in my game that came off the game’s power switch, so that was easy. Just had to add a ground. Dan was super helpful with the installation and would regularly check up on my progress and made sure I didn’t blow anything up or electrocute myself - thanks Dan.
Great product and great service. Very happy with the purchase.

280AE269-37F6-41E8-8BBA-8406D5AC4D02 (resized).jpeg70C32622-7104-47D5-ACF9-84C47613A91A (resized).jpeg9C491D4E-0E5A-443F-B530-9D3DC0D7F515 (resized).jpeg
#1156 11 months ago
Quoted from zahner:

Finished my installation of the PinWoofer set up for my Tommy the other day. The sound is very much improved and does the game justice.

PinWoofer delivers!! Always.

2 weeks later
#1157 10 months ago

New Pinsound orchestration. I have updated the remaining missions with Who tracks, so no more annoying Sally Simpson, Fiddle About, Holiday Camp, etc, etc.

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/294-all-who-songs_pinballjah/

#1158 10 months ago

Thanks, D/L'ed

#1159 10 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

New Pinsound orchestration. I have updated the remaining missions with Who tracks, so no more annoying Sally Simpson, Fiddle About, Holiday Camp, etc, etc.
http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/294-all-who-songs_pinballjah/

Video?

#1160 10 months ago

No video. Just download it and try it. Any songs you want added, let me know.

#1161 10 months ago

The new translite came out amazing. Pretty good for a total cost of $44. Guy who made the original doesn’t want me to share the file anymore. Easy enough to have made with a local printer.

Much improvement over the original. With Pinsound and original Who music, totally different game.

Now just need to figure out the best color bulbs to make it pop.
3DC02C16-2945-4BF5-ACE1-B1A1D18B591E (resized).jpeg

#1162 10 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

The new translite came out amazing. Pretty good for a total cost of $44. Guy who made the original doesn’t want me to share the file anymore. Easy enough to have made with a local printer.
Much improvement over the original. With Pinsound and original Who music, totally different game.
[quoted image]

I think it looks awesome and pops pretty great as is. Almost seems a shame to mess with the colors by adding colored bulbs - in my humble opinion....

#1163 10 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

[quoted image]

why doesn't guy want you to make anymore?

#1164 10 months ago

I just installed a PinSound+ board in my game yesterday. I've owned Tommy for years, but now it feels like a completely new game. The Broadway stuff never really bothered me, but having high quality, full length WHO versions is awesome! I plan on swapping out / tweaking a few of the songs.

#1165 10 months ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I just installed a PinSound+ board in my game yesterday. I've owned Tommy for years, but now it feels like a completely new game. The Broadway stuff never really bothered me, but having high quality, full length WHO versions is awesome! I plan on swapping out / tweaking a few of the songs.

I did just that and ended up with a great soundtrack now (one that my wife loves too since I added Elton John for her, and that transcends any of my passing musical preferences). I added a PinWoofer amp upgrade and my brother-in-law says my Tommy now sounds as good as his home entertainment system.

#1166 10 months ago
Quoted from zahner:

I did just that and ended up with a great soundtrack now (one that my wife loves too since I added Elton John for her, and that transcends any of my passing musical preferences). I added a PinWoofer amp upgrade and my brother-in-law says my Tommy now sounds as good as his home entertainment system.

Nice! I already have upgraded speakers in my game, but I plan on connecting an external sub today. I also have a headphone station that I'm going to install which came free with the PinSound+ board. It will be handy to be able to adjust the volume and switch sound mixes without having to open the coin door.

#1167 10 months ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Nice! I already have upgraded speakers in my game, but I plan on connecting an external sub today. I also have a headphone station that I'm going to install which came free with the PinSound+ board. It will be handy to be able to adjust the volume and switch sound mixes without having to open the coin door.

Yeah, that’s a good addition. I use it for volume (duh) and also find it handy at midnight when I’m playing. If you plan on using headphones, don’t go cheap. My $35 eBay Grado headphones have been perfect!

#1168 10 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

[quoted image]

Looks sooooo good

3 weeks later
#1169 9 months ago

Is there an option to increase the frequency of the mode that uses the blinder? I noticed it doesn’t come up as frequently as other modes. Thanks.

#1170 9 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Is there an option to increase the frequency of the mode that uses the blinder? I noticed it doesn’t come up as frequently as other modes. Thanks.

You mean 'Tommy Scoring' Union Jack mode ?

This will be no more or less common than the others as the lit mode is cycled through with Pop Bumper or Silver Ball hits. Though the game always starts with 'Christmas' lit so its possible that is the mode seen most often.

Chads 5.0 code added more blinder action to the game , adding it to Cousin Kevin and Smash The Mirror modes , and increasing it's use during Multiball.

#1171 9 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Press and hold the Extra Ball button while starting a game

#1172 9 months ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Press and hold the Extra Ball button while starting a game

Thanks, doesn’t increase the frequency. Just has the blinders start by default. Probably played 100 games and blinder mode only came on once. Thought it was off in the options lol but on the weekend the mode came on.

#1173 9 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks, doesn’t increase the frequency. Just has the blinders start by default. Probably played 100 games and blinder mode only came on once. Thought it was off in the options lol but on the weekend the mode came on.

I think you must have just been unlucky and that mode isn't being lit and collected. As I said you can keep hitting the Silver Ball to cycle to the next mode you want , then start it with a UJ shot.

Or your blinders are on the fritz

#1174 9 months ago
Quoted from Ive:

I think you must have just been unlucky and that mode isn't being lit and collected. As I said you can keep hitting the Silver Ball to cycle to the next mode you want , then start it with a UJ shot.
Or your blinders are on the fritz

Thanks, the blinders are good, it is this mode never appears. I have to admit I haven’t spent a lot of time on game play as I keep getting other games or projects that keep me from learning about the games I currently own.

#1175 9 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks, the blinders are good, it is this mode never appears. I have to admit I haven’t spent a lot of time on game play as I keep getting other games or projects that keep me from learning about the games I currently own.

Like ive indicated above, Chad's code utilizes the blinders much more often than the factory code ...

http://www.pinballcode.com/downloads

#1176 9 months ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Like ive indicated above, Chad's code utilizes the blinders much more often than the factory code ...
http://www.pinballcode.com/downloads

Thanks. Have not really played around with changing code, except newer games from the manufacturer. What is involved? Can it be easily changed back? Thanks for the help.

#1177 9 months ago

You probably have to burn a new rom and replace it on the board..

#1178 9 months ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

You probably have to burn a new rom and replace it on the board..

Ok, this code looks great. No issues with it in terms of game play? Thanks for mentioning this site.

#1179 9 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks. Have not really played around with changing code, except newer games from the manufacturer. What is involved? Can it be easily changed back? Thanks for the help.

You need to swap different ROMs in. This Pinsider sells them - you need the A5.0 Unofficial CPU/Display set ...this is Chad's latest code as mentioned.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1083-matt-s-basement-arcade/02780-the-who-s-tommy-pinball-data-east-rom-upgrade-chip-set

#1180 9 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Ok, this code looks great. No issues with it in terms of game play? Thanks for mentioning this site.

The code is fantastic ! Really improves the game. I worked closely with Chad as he worked on this - play testing, thrashing out ideas etc ..... he did an amazing job on it. Better scoring, improved modes, fixed little bugs, additional lighting effects and sounds.

Compatible with ColorDMD also.

Don't forget to make a Donation on Chads site too as he charges nothing for it !

1 week later
#1181 9 months ago

Added a couple spotlights from Comet. Anyone else use spotlights on their Tommy?

793A58BD-DBA7-4AEB-9446-6ED61505A0DF (resized).jpeg
#1182 9 months ago

For those interested in the different Pinsound orchestrations I have created with original The Who music, here are clips from the two different versions.

Tommy_Pinballjah_V2

This is based on JULIEN42's orchestration that updated all of the original musical music with music from the Who's Tommy. I have further updated this orchestration with original Who music, with the exception of the missions, which are from the Who's Tommy album.

The Who Greatest_Pinballjah

All of the original music has been replaced with hits from the Who. All missions are various Who songs, all songs from the Tommy album have mostly been replaced. Most music folders include numerous Who songs that will play on a random basis. For example, at the start of each ball, a random Who song will play. Each missions was replaced with a single Who song.

#1183 9 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

For those interested in the different Pinsound orchestrations I have created with original The Who music, here are clips from the two different versions.
Tommy_Pinballjah_V2
This is based on JULIEN42's orchestration that updated all of the original musical music with music from the Who's Tommy. I have further updated this orchestration with original Who music, with the exception of the missions, which are from the Who's Tommy album.

All of the original music has been replaced with hits from the Who. All missions are various Who songs, all songs from the Tommy album have mostly been replaced. Most music folders include numerous Who songs that will play on a random basis. For example, at the start of each ball, a random Who song will play. Each missions was replaced with a single Who song.

So good! Wish I didn’t my sell my pinsound.

#1184 9 months ago

I like that the songs are there but i'm going to be changing back as the end songs go for way too long and makes it hard to enjoy the game on the next machine. I end up turning Tommy off and power cycling it all the time.

#1185 9 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

I like that the songs are there but i'm going to be changing back as the end songs go for way too long and makes it hard to enjoy the game on the next machine. I end up turning Tommy off and power cycling it all the time.

You mean after you finish a game? You could just delete the songs from one folder and then nothing will play after the game finishes. I could look at fixing that by having the music fade a lot lower within 20 seconds of the game finishing. The more feedback the better. Thanks.

#1186 9 months ago

Yes, that's what i meant. I'm not really into learning how to do that, i'm relying on good people like yourself.

It's feedback from one person only, but if others are having the same problem perhaps you could offer a 'short' and long version? I'd keep it for sure if it wasn't for that.

#1187 9 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Tommy_Pinballjah_V2

I will probably go with your Tommy version. One question I gotta ask. Did you replace that awful song on the mission, “Holiday Camp”?

#1188 9 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

Yes, that's what i meant. I'm not really into learning how to do that, i'm relying on good people like yourself.
It's feedback from one person only, but if others are having the same problem perhaps you could offer a 'short' and long version? I'd keep it for sure if it wasn't for that.

I agree, it doesn't make sense to have the full version. I will shorten them in the next version. Not sure if there is a way to make the song lower volume for part of the song?

#1189 9 months ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

I will probably go with your Tommy version. One question I gotta ask. Did you replace that awful song on the mission, “Holiday Camp”?

Yes, all the missions have been replaced with Who songs in the The Who Greatest_Pinballjah orchestration. Holiday Camp was replaced with "You Better You Bet". Let me know what you think. Thanks.

#1190 9 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Tommy_Pinballjah_V2

Nice Job! Great selection of songs. I did a modified JULIEN42 and added some other songs form the movie soundtrack, the Who's original rock opera and a different version of the play. After listening to your playlist, it might be time for some changes.

#1191 9 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Added a couple spotlights from Comet. Anyone else use spotlights on their Tommy?[quoted image]

Placed one under the right ramp area to throw atmospheric blue light up on the bomber.

#1192 9 months ago
Quoted from Ive:

Placed one under the right ramp area to throw atmospheric blue light up on the bomber.

Great idea. Will give that a try.

#1193 9 months ago
Quoted from zahner:

Nice Job! Great selection of songs. I did a modified JULIEN42 and added some other songs form the movie soundtrack, the Who's original rock opera and a different version of the play. After listening to your playlist, it might be time for some changes.

Thanks. There are a lot more songs in the orchestration, just hard to get them all to play in the sample video. I can provide a list if that is helpful? I usually put 3-4 songs in the general audio folders so they play random songs and so it is less repetitive. For the missions, I only used one song per mission. I probably used 20+ songs in total. All the well know songs for sure.

#1194 9 months ago

It was uncovered on the Getaway thread that 11 of 31 audio folders are never used. Be interested to know if any of the Tommy audio folders are never used. Really this is a huge waste if there are unique songs in these folders that never are heard during game play.

#1195 9 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

It was uncovered on the Getaway thread that 11 of 31 audio folders are never used. Be interested to know if any of the Tommy audio folders are never used. Really this is a huge waste if there are unique songs in these folders that never are heard during game play.

All songs in the code are used. However, these are not songs, but there were two unused voice calls that I added into v.5.00... they were "Go to the mirror" and "Amazing journey".

http://www.pinballcode.com/tommy5

#1196 9 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

All songs in the code are used. However, these are not songs, but there were two unused voice calls that I added into v.5.00... they were "Go to the mirror" and "Amazing journey".
http://www.pinballcode.com/tommy5

Thanks for clarifying.

#1197 9 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I added into v.5.00

Thanks for your code sir! Much appreciated!

#1198 9 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

Hey Punkin, I am currently uploading the v2 Tommy orchestration I just finished to shorten the music after the game ends. There are four random tracks after the game ends (Love reign over me, Behind blue eyes, Tommy can you hear me, Listening to you). I have limited the music to 1 minute and most starts to fade out after around 45 seconds. So this should solve your complaint about the music playing too long after the game ends. Hope you find this fix helpful and you can start to enjoy the orchestration from now on.

I will do the same thing for the other orchestration with the missions from the Tommy soundtrack. Thanks.

#1199 9 months ago

Thank you very much mate! Could you post a link when you are finished please?

Pic as a reward for you. Tommy and his older brother Tales from The Crypt, both running pinsound.

pb27 (resized).jpg
#1200 9 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

Thank you very much mate! Could you post a link when you are finished please?
Pic as a reward for you. Tommy and his older brother Tales from The Crypt, both running pinsound.[quoted image]

Sure, think you need to track down an original topper

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 25.00
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brighton, MI
$ 50.00
There are 1527 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 31.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside