(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png
There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 46.
#1101 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Just uploaded V2 of my Tommy Orchestration for the Pinsound card. Have added Pinball Wizard to the main Who tracks available. Here is the link below to download. Thanks.
Version 2 - October 5/19:
File updated with the following changes:
- Pinball Wizard added to Game Start and Pinball Wizard Music music files
- Extra Ball Countdown track changed to Heaven and Hell live
- Tommy can you hear me removed from Applause sfx file.
http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/284-tommy_pinballjah_v2/

love to have this, do I have to have a certain sound board for this?

#1102 4 years ago

These are designed for the PinSound series of upgraded sound boards. It's a cool product, you can see more details here if you aren't aware of them: https://www.pinsound.org/

Note if you already have this board in another machine, you might need to have a Data East power booster for use in Tommy.

#1103 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

love to have this, do I have to have a certain sound board for this?

As noted, you need a Pinsound board. I have them in four of my games and I think it makes the biggest difference in Tommy. I’m not sure how owners can live with the original siundboard and music. Having the Who Tommy soundtrack and stereo sound makes a world of difference.

If you buy the board, don’t like it, it can easily be sold for almost full cost. As noted, power booster cable is suggested.

#1104 4 years ago

Quick question for those who have the pinsound board. Did you use the Power Booster cable, or a separate power supply to the board? I have a color dmd in my unit, so I was wondering if the PowerBooster cable does the trick, or I still need to run a dedicated PS to the pinsound board. Thank you!

#1105 4 years ago

Also, for those who were looking into the vinyl mod from pinballrr I just asked them about the top of the backbox, I am going to move forward with it and the alternate translite. Plan to powdercoat the rails and legs blue to match the new color scheme. This will be a long project, but I will post pics when it's complete. Excited to have a custom Tommy!

#1106 4 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Quick question for those who have the pinsound board. Did you use the Power Booster cable, or a separate power supply to the board? I have a color dmd in my unit, so I was wondering if the PowerBooster cable does the trick, or I still need to run a dedicated PS to the pinsound board. Thank you!

I just got my Tommy and used the power booster cable. I think the colordmd uses less power than the regular dmd (LED version). Sound works perfect, never cuts out.

#1107 4 years ago

I put a pinsound board in yesterday and didn't run an extra cable. I have the regular DMD if that makes a difference?

#1108 4 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

I put a pinsound board in yesterday and didn't run an extra cable. I have the regular DMD if that makes a difference?

It should work ok. If you find the sound jumping in and out, get the cable.

#1109 4 years ago

Great more shipping from OS for a cable that should be part of the package? Why wouldn't it be included if it's needed?

#1110 4 years ago

Any good suppliers of the Union Jacket target decals? I found these on Ebay, if anyone can recommend them. Thanks.

ebay.com link: TOMMY PINBALL Target Cushioned Decals

#1111 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Any good suppliers of the Union Jacket target decals? I found these on Ebay, if anyone can recommend them. Thanks.
ebay.com link » Tommy Pinball Target Cushioned Decals

I don't understand these cushioned targets ? Surely they will change the ball action compared to regular targets.

#1112 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

ebay.com link » Tommy Pinball Target Cushioned Decals

I have had these on mine. About 2 years old, they get kinda ragged, coming unglued. However, I do like the looks, and recently replaced them. My other supplier of these on my games is Pinball Decals. They don’t have Tommy target decals. I have them on all my games and have never noticed them changing ball directions.

#1113 4 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

I have had these on mine. About 2 years old, they get kinda ragged, coming unglued. However, I do like the looks, and recently replaced them. My other supplier of these on my games is Pinball Decals. They don’t have Tommy target decals. I have them on all my games and have never noticed them changing ball directions.

Was thinking more that they would deaden the (rebound) speed ?

I don't see anyone ever recommending sticking some foam or rubber to the front face of targets ..... ....so I wouldn't touch them myself.

Not sure why the guy doesn't sell an uncushioned variant.

#1114 4 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

Ok thanks. Doesn't sound too promising.

#1115 4 years ago

Does anyone have a scan of the different Tommy targets? I have asked another forum member if he might be able to do Tommy target decals for the group. He does really nice work for Getaway and the targets he did for me are excellent and have great durability. Thanks for the help!

#1116 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Does anyone have a scan of the different Tommy targets? I have asked another forum member if he might be able to do Tommy target decals for the group. He does really nice work for Getaway and the targets he did for me are excellent and have great durability. Thanks for the help!

Often thought about applying mirror decal to the smaller Silver Ball targets

Would have been nice if they had of originally been silver ball targets, like the one currently in the game. Perhaps smaller due to their position.

#1117 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Never mind, I just realized the targets are standard 1 inch. Thought they were different for some reason.

#1118 4 years ago

Has anyone changed the decal on the spinners? Was thinking of updating it to a Who related image or the mods logo. Thanks.

#1119 4 years ago

Where is the logo on the spinner from? Is it related to the play or film? Looks like an Middle Eastern symbol. Not sure how it relates to the game? Thanks.

#1120 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Where is the logo on the spinner from? Is it related to the play or film? Looks like an Middle Eastern symbol. Not sure how it relates to the game? Thanks.

In the Broadway production and they used a lot of cool imagery as backdrop projections and on video screens. One side of the spinner is Tommy holding out his hand, which is definitely from the show. The other side...it could be something abstract from the projections...or just a poorly drawn flaming pinball haha.

#1121 4 years ago

Can someone confirm spinner sizes. I get 4.2 x 3.3 cm. Thanks.

#1122 4 years ago

Had some custom target decals, flipper topper and spinner decals made by @mr_tantrum. Will post some photos once installed. Was trying to find a good place for this decal. Thoughts?

A4081EA4-501F-433D-A50C-508F06732762 (resized).pngA4081EA4-501F-433D-A50C-508F06732762 (resized).png
1 week later
#1123 4 years ago

New Tommy decals I had Mr_Tantrum help me with. I think they turned out great.

Union Jack flipper topper
Union Jack target decals
The Who spinner decals

E1B643D3-F4B7-450F-8E25-10D7D2232A0F (resized).jpegE1B643D3-F4B7-450F-8E25-10D7D2232A0F (resized).jpeg6FD68B94-7D5F-4E0F-AA0E-63DA926872B7 (resized).jpeg6FD68B94-7D5F-4E0F-AA0E-63DA926872B7 (resized).jpeg5CB1CCB5-1DB5-4F5A-8E71-1CFE2AC64D89 (resized).jpeg5CB1CCB5-1DB5-4F5A-8E71-1CFE2AC64D89 (resized).jpeg9C745347-7A23-41B5-BB42-69AC6A49DDF3 (resized).jpeg9C745347-7A23-41B5-BB42-69AC6A49DDF3 (resized).jpeg2BE4F305-E685-4C56-92BB-9EE902C609E4 (resized).jpeg2BE4F305-E685-4C56-92BB-9EE902C609E4 (resized).jpeg
#1124 4 years ago

I would love a set of those posted to Australia.

#1125 4 years ago

The spinner decals look great!

#1126 4 years ago

those look killer. need me a set.

#1127 4 years ago

Mr_Tantrum does great work! He does a lot of mods for The Getaway. I used his target decals on my Getaway and no issues in terms of them falling off. He was nice enough to custom make them for me.

Probably a little overkill on the Union Jack But like something to cover the plain targets.

#1128 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

mr_tantrum does great work! He does a lot of mods for The Getaway. I used his target decals on my Getaway and no issues in terms of them falling off. He was nice enough to custom make them for me.
Probably a little overkill on the Union Jack But like something to cover the plain targets.

Any chance you can ask him to print sets and list them either on the market or here?

#1129 4 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Any chance you can ask him to print sets and list them either on the market or here

Better to PM him directly. Thanks.

#1130 4 years ago

pinballjah let me know that there was some interest in the items I made for him, so I thought I would pop in and introduce myself.

I'm happy to offer the items I created for pinballjah to everyone. He originally came to me since he had purchased a variety of my mods for other games. I've done custom mods (decals, apron cards, 3D design, etc.) for a multitude of pins, but I mainly focus on the pins in my collection. However, when someone comes to me for something different, I'm always willing to entertain the opportunity.

For my Tommy items, the pricing includes US shipping. However, I will also quote on a per order basis for international orders. I don't want to open a store and I don't put a lot up in classifieds (I do have a few items up right now), as I prefer to handle everything directly. The pricing is as presented, and there are no discounts for multiple items. Everything is hand made using only quality materials and my best work as if I was installing them in my own pins. Just PM me if you are interested in anything, and we'll work out the quote and payment details. I'm typically able to make and ship these items within a couple of days of payment.

- "The Who" spinner decals | $5 each (buy them for 1 or 2 targets, for the front or for both sides)
- Set of 3 3D-printed Union Jack flipper toppers | $15
- Set of 11 Union Jack target decals (8 round & 3 rectangle) | $25

#1131 4 years ago

Anybody want this file for a possible translite, PM your email address and I will send you a Dropbox link. File is 48MB. File doesn’t have watermarks. Just an example. Thanks.
Tommy Translite NEW prv (resized).pngTommy Translite NEW prv (resized).png

Added over 4 years ago:

File no longer available.

#1132 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Anybody want this file for a possible translite, PM your email address and I will send you a Dropbox link. File is 48MB. Thanks.[quoted image]

So, and please excuse my ignorance, how does one go from a file to a translite? Are there firms or businesses one takes a file to and then they print out a translite?

#1133 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

So, and please excuse my ignorance, how does one go from a file to a translite? Are there firms or businesses one takes a file to and then they print out a translite?

Don’t worry, I am trying to figure this out as well. There are companies that do it online specifically for pinballs. Best to find a local printer. I have a couple people that contacted me about making it for me. Waiting to hear if it is feasible given the quality of the original image. If they can do it at a reasonable cost and it looks decent, I will give their contact details.

#1134 4 years ago

I have this translite with glass and all. I’m just used to the original. 125 + shipping

67EDDADC-0ED3-4918-8CBD-1B260C03EA75 (resized).jpeg67EDDADC-0ED3-4918-8CBD-1B260C03EA75 (resized).jpegFD7C5E7D-8E24-452F-B43D-8C36CAF5A3B1 (resized).jpegFD7C5E7D-8E24-452F-B43D-8C36CAF5A3B1 (resized).jpeg
#1135 4 years ago

Looking to get into this club...anyone selling let me know...located in the unfortunate state of NJ.....

#1136 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

pinballjah let me know that there was some interest in the items I made for him, so I thought I would pop in and introduce myself.
I'm happy to offer the items I created for pinballjah to everyone. He originally came to me since he had purchased a variety of my mods for other games. I've done custom mods (decals, apron cards, 3D design, etc.) for a multitude of pins, but I mainly focus on the pins in my collection. However, when someone comes to me for something different, I'm always willing to entertain the opportunity.
For my Tommy items, the pricing includes US shipping. However, I will also quote on a per order basis for international orders. I don't want to open a store and I don't put a lot up in classifieds (I do have a few items up right now), as I prefer to handle everything directly. The pricing is as presented, and there are no discounts for multiple items. Everything is hand made using only quality materials and my best work as if I was installing them in my own pins. Just PM me if you are interested in anything, and we'll work out the quote and payment details. I'm typically able to make and ship these items within a couple of days of payment.
- "The Who" spinner decals | $5 each (buy them for 1 or 2 targets, for the front or for both sides)
- Set of 3 3D-printed Union Jack flipper toppers | $15
- Set of 11 Union Jack target decals (8 round & 3 rectangle) | $25

Thanks mate, just can't justify that sort of coin to myself for the stickers.
Good luck with it though, they look great.

#1137 4 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Thanks mate, just can't justify that sort of coin to myself for the stickers.
Good luck with it though, they look great.

They are competitive with others out there for most games, and kind of a pain to make. Even so, I understand they are not for everyone.

The target decals are printed on a photo quality printer using OEM inks and high quality ultra gloss OEM photo paper, coated with a clear gloss vinyl, and I use a thick clear adhesive backing for durability and to absorb the hits. I cut the rectangles by hand and punch the circles for a perfect shape. I have targets made this way on my Getaway for nearly 3 years now and the still look brand new (I’ve put well over 100 plays on them).

#1138 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

They are competitive with others out there for most games, and kind of a pain to make. Even so, I understand they are not for everyone.
The target decals are printed on a photo quality printer using OEM inks and high quality ultra gloss OEM photo paper, coated with a clear gloss vinyl, and I use a thick clear adhesive backing for durability and to absorb the hits. I cut the rectangles by hand and punch the circles for a perfect shape. I have targets made this way on my Getaway for nearly 3 years now and the still look brand new (I’ve put well over 100 plays on them).

I think the most alarming thing about this post is that you had them on your Getaway for nearly 3 years and have over 100 plays on them. That averages about 3 plays a month! (just messing with you, in case the sarcasm is missed)

#1139 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

I think the most alarming thing about this post is that you had them on your Getaway for nearly 3 years and have over 100 plays on them. That averages about 3 plays a month! (just messing with you, in case the sarcasm is missed)

I just pulled a number out of the air (I figured better to be way low than to be accused of exaggeration). Getaway was my only game for well over 2 years, and I easily averaged 4-5 games per week (heavier some times, lighter at other times). Actually, I first got into making decals and mods because of the targets on Getaway. I purchased 2 "quality" sets and after about 10 games on each they started degrading and coming apart. I figured I can do better. I've now sold literally hundreds of decals and 3D mods since then, and have not had a single issue with any of my products or a dissatisfied customer. I don't do things as a business, just a hobby, so I don't advertise or maintain a store. Sometimes repeat customers ask me to custom make something for other games they have, and when I do I typically make the items available to the community by posting in the owners thread of whatever game the mod is for.

#1140 4 years ago

His prices also include shipping within the US.

#1141 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Just installed the "flipper toppers" and target decals. Excellent quality. Easy to install, and I did like the attention to detail with the flipper toppers having a hollowed out section to accommodate the "DE" logo on the flippers. Really nice and I'm very pleased.

#1142 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Just installed the "flipper toppers" and target decals. Excellent quality. Easy to install, and I did like the attention to detail with the flipper toppers having a hollowed out section to accommodate the "DE" logo on the flippers. Really nice and I'm very pleased.

Help me find a good spot for the mods scooters only logo

#1143 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Glad you like them. The hollowed out spot design came after I sold my first set to pinballjah without it, only to realize it was an issue (don't worry, I took care of him).

#1144 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:Glad you like them. The hollowed out spot design came after I sold my first set to pinballjah without it, only to realize it was an issue (don't worry, I took care of him).

That's how to perfect a product. The divot worked flawlessly on the set you sent my way, so at least two down successfully. Once again, thanks for doing this.

1 week later
#1145 4 years ago

Hot off the press!

C757D300-0ACE-4B9C-85C2-1479432C30F9 (resized).jpegC757D300-0ACE-4B9C-85C2-1479432C30F9 (resized).jpegC77FCAA2-4B54-473A-BF9A-B24E15EC812B (resized).pngC77FCAA2-4B54-473A-BF9A-B24E15EC812B (resized).png
#1146 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Hot off the press![quoted image][quoted image]

Neat!

#1147 4 years ago

Anyone have the Pinsound shaker installed and can comment on it?

#1148 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Anyone have the Pinsound shaker installed and can comment on it?

I just put mine in two days ago. It is pretty cool, but I programmed it and need to dial it in. The “explosion” setting is very strong, and I used it a bit too much.

I had great luck with the effect whenever the plane roars by. Also, had success with glass shattering, the ramp noise and most everything else.

Ultimately, I’m really happy with it and want to spend more time fiddling with it. Super easy to change shaker effects and to assign to different sounds. Very easy to install.

#1149 4 years ago

Ok that sounds positive. Is there a file already on it? How is it programmed?

#1150 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Ok that sounds positive. Is there a file already on it? How is it programmed?

The Pinsound site says there is a Tommy package, but I don't see how to get to it. I'd like to see that package to see how they put it together. My sound package is different than theirs ( exchanged a few songs) so I needed to do the shaker effects myself.

Just download the PinSound Studio, put your thumb drive in your computer, open the file in the studio and go to the sound effects. highlight and click on the shaker effect you want to add - save. Put it back in your game and you are rumbling away. The files have to be in the latest format and your firmware needs to be up to date.

I got it all working and I'm fundamentally a Luddite when it comes to anything too complex with computer stuff - In other words, if I can do it, anyone can.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.95
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 18.95
$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/23?hl=monkfe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.