(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,154 posts
  • 133 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by pinballjah
  • Topic is favorited by 62 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 280 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

C757D300-0ACE-4B9C-85C2-1479432C30F9 (resized).jpeg
C77FCAA2-4B54-473A-BF9A-B24E15EC812B (resized).png
FD7C5E7D-8E24-452F-B43D-8C36CAF5A3B1 (resized).jpeg
67EDDADC-0ED3-4918-8CBD-1B260C03EA75 (resized).jpeg
Tommy Translite NEW prv (resized).png
5CB1CCB5-1DB5-4F5A-8E71-1CFE2AC64D89 (resized).jpeg
9C745347-7A23-41B5-BB42-69AC6A49DDF3 (resized).jpeg
E1B643D3-F4B7-450F-8E25-10D7D2232A0F (resized).jpeg
2BE4F305-E685-4C56-92BB-9EE902C609E4 (resized).jpeg
6FD68B94-7D5F-4E0F-AA0E-63DA926872B7 (resized).jpeg
A4081EA4-501F-433D-A50C-508F06732762 (resized).png
snip1 (resized).JPG
B8D7CE64-56EE-4804-8301-C3BD1797513F (resized).jpeg
pb4 (resized).jpg
Cn1 2 (resized).jpg
Cn1 1 (resized).jpg

There are 1154 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 24.
#1051 61 days ago

I am trying to resolve a problem with a Tommy I just purchased. When the game is turned on, the DMD has a few lines on it and the playfield lights turn on and there is a humming sound. Then the playfield lights turn off. The game will not turn on when I press the start button. When I unplug the DMD, I get an initial sound (for about one second), which I understand is the sound on start-up and there is no humming sound anymore. But again it won't start. The previous owner installed a new PinX power board but that did not solve the problem. I checked the fuses and they seem to be fine.

I noticed that on the old powerboard, CN1 had burnt pins 10-12. I checked the connection to the new PinX power board and the connector had burning marks on the same pins 10-12. So I'm not sure if this may be the problem or if something is causing these pins to burn out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. See below photos.

Cn1 1 (resized).jpgCn1 2 (resized).jpg
#1053 61 days ago

Thanks for your help. Do you recall what happened on your game when these pins were not working?

#1054 60 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks for your help. Do you recall what happened on your game when these pins were not working?

Sorry, it was so many years ago I don't remember the symptom.

#1055 60 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I am trying to resolve a problem with a Tommy I just purchased. When the game is turned on, the DMD has a few lines on it and the playfield lights turn on and there is a humming sound. Then the playfield lights turn off. The game will not turn on when I press the start button. When I unplug the DMD, I get an initial sound (for about one second), which I understand is the sound on start-up and there is no humming sound anymore. But again it won't start. The previous owner installed a new PinX power board but that did not solve the problem. I checked the fuses and they seem to be fine.
I noticed that on the old powerboard, CN1 had burnt pins 10-12. I checked the connection to the new PinX power board and the connector had burning marks on the same pins 10-12. So I'm not sure if this may be the problem or if something is causing these pins to burn out.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. See below photos.[quoted image][quoted image]

This is very common over time on Data East games. Overheating at pins 10, 11, 12 will mean problems for the 5v ...and game won't boot. You need to repin/replace the connector block. And the pins/tracks on the board if burned.

Hopefully it hasn't damaged the header pins on the new Xpin board.

#1056 58 days ago
Quoted from Ive:

You need to repin/replace the connector block. And the pins/tracks on the board if burned.

I'd love to know if there was a YouTube video showing this method. And would these parts be like "Marco" available or would you have to poke around on Mouser?

#1057 58 days ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

I'd love to know if there was a YouTube video showing this method. And would these parts be like "Marco" available or would you have to poke around on Mouser?

Just look 4 posts above. I linked all the parts and even the pin removal tool.

#1058 58 days ago

So an update on DMD power issues and game not working. The tech replaced pins 10-12 in CN1 and I bypassed the DMD issue a little. I had bought a LED colordmd for the game and apparently this dmd draws less power than the original. So after installing the color dmd, it appears fine. There was one section of the powerboard that was not drawing enough power when tested. My tech said that the -98v was low right off the power supply at -89v. All the VAC from the transformer tested good as does the voltage coming into CN1.

The game did restart one time during gameplay but that was before replacing the three pins in CN1.

Thanks for all the help getting the game up and running! Jim

#1059 58 days ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Just look 4 posts above. I linked all the parts and even the pin removal tool.

Just ordered a good amount of that stuff. : )
Thanks!

#1060 58 days ago

Starting to work on a new Pinsound orchestration for Tommy. If you have any Who songs you would like me to include, I am open to suggestions. Like to update with more non-Tommy Who songs, The Seeker, Won't get fooled again, Who are you, etc. Thanks.

#1061 58 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Starting to work on a new Pinsound orchestration for Tommy. If you have any Who songs you would like me to include, I am open to suggestions. Like to update with more non-Tommy Who songs, The Seeker, Won't get fooled again, Who are you, etc. Thanks.

Great idea. TBH I find a lot of the Tommy tracks a bit meh.

'I Can See For Miles' is one of my faves and kind of fits the theme

#1062 57 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

you have any Who songs you would like me to include

Teenage Wasteland

#1063 57 days ago
Quoted from Ive:

Great idea. TBH I find a lot of the Tommy tracks a bit meh.
'I Can See For Miles' is one of my faves and kind of fits the theme

Sounds good. Let me know if any specific placement during gameplay.

#1064 57 days ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Teenage Wasteland

Great song! If you have any suggestions on where to place it during gameplay let me know thanks.

#1065 57 days ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Teenage Wasteland

You mean Baba O'Riley. There is no song titled, "Teenage Wasteland". The long opening keyboard sequence with the repetitive 4? chord sequence would be cool as the music playing before the ball is launched.

#1066 57 days ago

I like the Who version of Tommy in my game but wish it had "We're not gonna take it" and "Smash the Mirror" on those modes instead of what was put in the mix for those modes. Also, I think it would be cool to add "Who are you" for the song that plays before each plunge during multiplier games. I thought about doing it myself but we're a mac family and the software is windows-based, so I didn't have time/energy yet to do it.

#1067 57 days ago
Quoted from robotron911:

You mean Baba O'Riley. There is no song titled, "Teenage Wasteland". The long opening keyboard sequence with the repetitive 4? chord sequence would be cool as the music playing before the ball is launched.

Sounds good. I was also thinking the beginning of The Seeker before the ball launch. Some orchestrations allow different songs for ball 1, 2, etc. I usually include a few tracks for each sound and then they play on a random basis.

#1068 57 days ago
Quoted from bajm:

I like the Who version of Tommy in my game but wish it had "We're not gonna take it" and "Smash the Mirror" on those modes instead of what was put in the mix for those modes. Also, I think it would be cool to add "Who are you" for the song that plays before each plunge during multiplier games. I thought about doing it myself but we're a mac family and the software is windows-based, so I didn't have time/energy yet to do it.

Have you tried the JULIEN42 orchestration yet? I would think he used all the original tracks for each mode. I am not at home but can check later. Will definitely use Who are you. Thanks.

#1069 56 days ago

Hey all, mind if i step in and rest my feet?

pb4 (resized).jpg
#1070 56 days ago

If anyone can help with my ejection coil issue. See post in Data East thread. Thanks.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club/page/28#post-5219689

#1071 55 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Have you tried the JULIEN42 orchestration yet? I would think he used all the original tracks for each mode. I am not at home but can check later. Will definitely use Who are you. Thanks.

I thought that’d be the case but he didn’t use those songs for those two modes. I guess he preferred others for them. I think getting those two modes right and adding “who are you” to random ball starts would be amazing!

#1072 55 days ago

I have to give some credit to JULIEN42 as his Pinsound orchestration for Tommy is amazing. He did a great job incorporating the Tommy Who soundtrack into the game. Once you have done a few orchestrations, you appreciate the effort that goes into it. The timing/length of the tracks, volume of each track, how the tracks blend together.

#1073 55 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

If anyone can help with my ejection coil issue. See post in Data East thread. Thanks.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club/page/28#post-5219689

Thoroughly check and test every trough switch and the shooter lane switch

Don't forget the trough jam switch - that can cause issues

#1074 55 days ago

#1075 54 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I have to give some credit to JULIEN42 as his Pinsound orchestration for Tommy is amazing. He did a great job incorporating the Tommy Who soundtrack into the game. Once you have done a few orchestrations, you appreciate the effort that goes into it. The timing/length of the tracks, volume of each track, how the tracks blend together.

Agreed! I didn’t mean to complain. His orchestration truly transforms the game and I’m thankful to be able to use it! I certainly could not do it myself.

#1076 54 days ago
Quoted from bajm:

I like the Who version of Tommy in my game but wish it had "We're not gonna take it"

What mode is this for? Thanks.

#1077 54 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

What mode is this for? Thanks.

Silver Ball.

#1078 54 days ago
Quoted from bajm:

Silver Ball.

Thanks, started to work on it last night. Any suggestions for the middle keyboard section from ‘Won’t Get Fooled Again’? Doesn’t really go with the Tommy theme but it is such a great part, it’s hard to exclude. I think the end of the song is perfect for the End Of Ball music track. Thanks.

#1079 52 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I was able to figure out my ball eject issue, for those that may come across the same issue down the road. When I started the game, the ball eject coil would fire off five times and also after the ball would launch. Also, game would stall with multi ball as game was not registering that ball was over. Also got error message 'Too many balls' and switch test indicated there were 7 balls.

The issue was that metal arm in the photo below. It had somehow got stuck behind the metal plate in front of it so it was not properly registering that a ball was ready to be ejected. Once I pushed it past the metal plate, closer to the balls, the game functioned perfectly.

B8D7CE64-56EE-4804-8301-C3BD1797513F (resized).jpeg
#1080 51 days ago

Have uploaded new Pinsound Orchestration for Tommy to the Pinsound Community (link below).

Added some original Who songs to JULIEN42's Tommy orchestration. Songs included:

- Who Are You, The Seeker, My Generation, Heaven and Hell, Won't Get Fooled Again, Magic Bus, Behind Blue Eyes, Baby O'Riley, Love Reign Over Me, You Better You Bet, Smash the Mirror, Were Not Going to Take It.

Let me know what you think.

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/281-the-who-greatest_pinballjah/

Not sure if it has to be approved first?

#1081 51 days ago

Thank you mate. Just ordered my card to fit my new RTommy, so i'll try to figure out how to d/l and use it.

#1082 50 days ago

Here is the sample video of the Pinsound orchestration I did with the Who original tracks. I suggest you watch the full video to get a feel for the songs added. Any suggestions, let me know. I highly recommend upgrading to a Pinsound card and upgraded speakers. Makes a world of difference.

#1083 50 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Here is the sample video of the Pinsound orchestration I did with the Who original tracks. I suggest you watch the full video to get a feel for the songs added. Any suggestions, let me know. I highly recommend upgrading to a Pinsound card and upgraded speakers. Makes a world of difference.

Very well done.

Love the color DMD. LED?

#1084 50 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

Very well done.
Love the color DMD. LED?

Thanks, yes colordmd LED. I go a little overboard with my machines.

#1085 50 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks, yes colordmd LED. I go a little overboard with my machines.

Oh ... I can sympathize

I too tend to do the same. In fact, for Tommy, other than a color DMD (I’m leaning toward LED), the stencil set to repaint the cabinet (scary), and a Union Jack cup holder, I am out of things to add or upgrade.

Have you added LEDs w/ the EnerGI board or mirror blades? Two of my favorites for this game. The Pinsound upgrade is great.

I await my pinsound shaker.

It’s a sickness....

#1086 50 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Here is the sample video of the Pinsound orchestration I did with the Who original tracks.

That’s fantastic! Is it up on Pinsound site?

#1087 50 days ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

That’s fantastic! Is it up on Pinsound site?

It is up but not sure has to be appoved? Post if you can download ok. Thanks.

#1088 50 days ago
snip1 (resized).JPG
#1089 50 days ago
Quoted from punkin:

[quoted image]

I think the file needs to be approved by the mods first. I will post when it has been approved. Thanks.

#1090 50 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I was able to figure out my ball eject issue, for those that may come across the same issue down the road. When I started the game, the ball eject coil would fire off five times and also after the ball would launch. Also, game would stall with multi ball as game was not registering that ball was over. Also got error message 'Too many balls' and switch test indicated there were 7 balls.
The issue was that metal arm in the photo below. It had somehow got stuck behind the metal plate in front of it so it was not properly registering that a ball was ready to be ejected. Once I pushed it past the metal plate, closer to the balls, the game functioned perfectly.[quoted image]

Good news. I suspected it would be a switch issue.

#1091 49 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Have uploaded new Pinsound Orchestration for Tommy to the Pinsound Community.
http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/281-the-who-greatest_pinballjah/
Not sure if it has to be approved first?

My Tommy orchestration is now available for free download. Thanks.

#1092 48 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

My Tommy orchestration is now available for free download

Bad ass!! I’ll drop it in tonight

#1093 48 days ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Bad ass!! I’ll drop it in tonight

Ok, hit me with your best and worse criticism. Wanted to improve it. I did notice I took out Pinball Wizard for some reason. Going back in next update.

#1094 48 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Ok, hit me with your best and worse criticism. Wanted to improve it. I did notice I took out Pinball Wizard for some reason. Going back in next update.

Please let us know when you get Pinball Wixard back in.it keeps the theme of the game. Other than that.great job.

#1095 48 days ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

Please let us know when you get Pinball Wixard back in.it keeps the theme of the game. Other than that.great job.

Sure, have to move a couple songs around. Did you download it ok? Get it done by the weekend. Trying to figure out which music tracks play with each ball.

#1096 47 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Sure, have to move a couple songs around. Did you download it ok? Get it done by the weekend. Trying to figure out which music tracks play with each ball.

I am going to wait until you are finished. I like my original a lot, but, I am certainly interested in yours. Just refinished my playfield and restored it. Pinsound speakers upgrade,too.

#1097 47 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Ok, hit me with your best and worse criticism. Wanted to improve it. I did notice I took out Pinball Wizard for some reason

Other things got in the way ... I’ll get it in the next day or two. But likely will wait for Pinball Wizard to return

#1098 46 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

My Tommy orchestration is now available for free download. Thanks.

Needs Pinball Wizard, of course. One terrible song on the original Pinsound was Holiday Camp. Did you replace it ?

#1099 46 days ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

Needs Pinball Wizard, of course. One terrible song on the original Pinsound was Holiday Camp. Did you replace it ?

I left in Holiday Camp as it goes with the mode. I plan to do another version with more pure Who hit songs and get rid of some of the tunes that are not as well known.

#1100 43 days ago

Just uploaded V2 of my Tommy Orchestration for the Pinsound card. Have added Pinball Wizard to the main Who tracks available. Here is the link below to download. Thanks.

Version 2 - October 5/19:
File updated with the following changes:
- Pinball Wizard added to Game Start and Pinball Wizard Music music files
- Extra Ball Countdown track changed to Heaven and Hell live
- Tommy can you hear me removed from Applause sfx file.

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/284-tommy_pinballjah_v2/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 22.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 1154 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 24.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside