New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,519 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 hours ago by Gohigh54
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 353 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 5.06.15 PM (resized).png
99712771-EA41-4D39-A7B2-769B05C286EE (resized).jpeg
95805C4A-7770-40F4-A310-97724B95C59B (resized).jpeg
50864450-DAB0-4A99-8DF6-9234FB3832DF (resized).jpeg
1013201620_HDR~2 (resized).jpg
1006201324a_HDR~2 (resized).jpg
1006201324_HDR~2 (resized).jpg
92F6864C-89C7-4283-A9B0-39509EA604D8 (resized).jpeg
95560DBC-B2A4-4ABB-839C-FA0792A3604D (resized).jpeg
B0058BF8-3CF5-44B6-9077-4B187D300B47 (resized).jpeg
00E77C84-1B9A-45AB-8FBB-CDB1A8770B69 (resized).jpeg
20190720_212657 (resized).jpg
20190720_212959 (resized).jpg
tommy christmas (resized).jpg
E183E9F3-AB02-49FC-91C1-4A8FF49D3D12 (resized).jpeg

There are 1519 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 31.
#1001 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

they're for the printer?

I forgot about DE printers. GnR has one, but it’s tucked out of the way.

#1002 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I think they're for the printer?

Could be, mine are not attached to anything, either.

#1003 1 year ago

Whenever I get a new game I like to watch the movie or in this case the play to better understand some of the rules, call-outs and objectives. By the way I forced myself to watch Barbwire when I picked up that machine-it was cringe worthy.

Link for rules/objectives:
http://pinball.org/rules/tommy.html

1 month later
#1004 1 year ago
Quoted from zahner:

Totally works. I used Tommy OST and it works perfectly. It’s here: https://www.pinsound.org/pinballs/data-east-r3/the-whos-tommy-pinball-wizard/
I later modified it by swapping in different versions of a few songs, and it still was fine.

Mine is not working with the code. Any suggestions. I hear the pin sound when powered up. So maybe ribbon cable?

#1005 1 year ago

Couple ideas... you need to leave the usb drive in the pinsound card. The first boot up takes a while (1-2hours) to unpack and load on the pinsound board (the card still needs the usb after that). I hope that helps - great product especially for Tommy.

#1006 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

By the way I forced myself to watch Barbwire when I picked up that machine-it was cringe worthy

I know this is off the Tommy subject but how did you find Barbwire as a game? I played one in Iceland and it seemed kind of interesting, I've always been half looking for one since!

#1007 1 year ago
Quoted from hank527:

Mine is not working with the code. Any suggestions. I hear the pin sound when powered up. So maybe ribbon cable?

Yeah, I had fits when I was first starting to use the pinsound board. Same exact issue. Lame (me) thing I discovered is that I was using too small a USB thumb drive. It just wouldn’t hold enough to load everything up. And it does take a long time the first time you do it, because it’s basically creating all the files.

A great resource was here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound

As I got more comfortable with working with the files, it became apparent how to swap different songs and do things like that. My ultimate discovery was that everything I was having trouble with was easily solved - Nothing I had to resolve has anything to do with anything terribly technical. If you’re going to just run the sound package without trying to change anything, it should be very simple. Really make sure that you have a big enough drive first.

#1008 1 year ago
Quoted from zahner:

Yeah, I had fits when I was first starting to use the pinsound board. Same exact issue. Lame (me) thing I discovered is that I was using too small a USB thumb drive. It just wouldn’t hold enough to load everything up. And it does take a long time the first time you do it, because it’s basically creating all the files.
A great resource was here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound
As I got more comfortable with working with the files, it became apparent how to swap different songs and do things like that. My ultimate discovery was that everything I was having trouble with was easily solved - Nothing I had to resolve has anything to do with anything terribly technical. If you’re going to just run the sound package without trying to change anything, it should be very simple. Really make sure that you have a big enough drive first.

Issue was solved by adding new firmware. Old firmware clipped after 5 seconds and only played one song.

Game is awesome. I highly recommend pinsound Tommy alternate mix. The game is awesome with the proper music by The Who.

May buy a few more as I want one for Indiana Jones.

#1009 1 year ago
Quoted from hank527:

Game is awesome. I highly recommend pinsound Tommy alternate mix. The game is awesome with the proper music by The Who.
May buy a few more as I want one for Indiana Jones.

Glad it was simple. The Pinsound board is a great product indeed. Totally agree that Tommy is awesome.

#1010 1 year ago
Quoted from zahner:

Glad it was simple. The Pinsound board is a great product indeed. Totally agree that Tommy is awesome.

Once I can finally track down a decent Tommy, I plan to do a Who orchestration with all their greatest hits. Already bought the Pinsound card, Flipper Fidelity speakers and color DMD for it, before I even have the game lol.

#1011 1 year ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

I know this is off the Tommy subject but how did you find Barbwire as a game? I played one in Iceland and it seemed kind of interesting, I've always been half looking for one since!

I love my Barbwire. It has a great unique layout and probably one of the best skill shots in pinball with Big Fatso gate that lifts up and down and having to time the shot just right. I think if it was not for the theme-it would be a really popular game. I played Barbwire at O-din's house and I had to have it-I bugged him until he sold it to me.

Still loving my Tommy. I have been playing with original ROM and I have the 5.0 ROM ready to install but I really want to get my feet wet with original code first. Can anyone tell me a brief explanation of differences with the new 5.0 v.s. original? Thanks

#1012 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Still loving my Tommy. I have been playing with original ROM and I have the 5.0 ROM ready to install but I really want to get my feet wet with original code first. Can anyone tell me a brief explanation of differences with the new 5.0 v.s. original? Thanks

Wayyyy better. More use of blinders. Don’t wait. Do it now!

Look here:

http://www.pinballcode.com/tommy5

#1013 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Once I can finally track down a decent Tommy, I plan to do a Who orchestration with all their greatest hits. Already bought the Pinsound card, Flipper Fidelity speakers and color DMD for it, before I even have the game lol.

I like the way you think!

#1014 1 year ago

Pardon me for a minute... My, DE Simpsons backbox got busted up during shipping and I might have a lead on a repo Tommy backbox. If any of you happen to have the Simpsons, could you see if it uses the same backbox as Tommy?

Thanks you.

#1015 1 year ago

Just completed a restore on my Tommy. I got with HEP, he installed service rails and told me to get the Spike version. It was easy an they sure are nice. No more pegs, it can be done.

#1016 1 year ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

Just completed a restore on my Tommy. I got with HEP, he installed service rails and told me to get the Spike version. It was easy an they sure are nice. No more pegs, it can be done.

Can you take pics?

#1017 1 year ago

No more pegs, very nice. The 2 bottom screws are threaded into existing spots. The 4 top screws are hex screws. Spike system, Pinball Life. I believe it has a lower profile than the Sam.

Quoted from hank527:

Can you take pics?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#1018 1 year ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

Nice! I did the same with my LW3.

#1019 1 year ago

Has anyone figured out a good paint formula to match the yellow at Lowes?

2 weeks later
#1020 1 year ago

Where is the best place to buy the flipper button protectors for a Tommy? Thanks.

#1021 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Where is the best place to buy the flipper button protectors for a Tommy? Thanks.

I bought a set of nice, but used Stern rails with that feature built in for $40 that look like new. I've not had luck getting the old crappy rails off, which appear to have put on with something beyond Gorilla Glue, but then again, it is one of my "to do" projects when I feel up to attacking the problem. However, I thought this was a good solution that avoided the add on look of the protectors. If you want the add on type, look here at Marco:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-6238-03
or
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-6801-00

Depending if you want plastic peel and stick or metal.

#1022 1 year ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Has anyone figured out a good paint formula to match the yellow at Lowes?

Cant help with that ....but a few years ago I got some from PU

http://www.pinballuniverse.com/PinballPaints.htm

#1023 1 year ago
Quoted from zahner:

I bought a set of nice, but used Stern rails with that feature built in for $40 that look like new. I've not had luck getting the old crappy rails off, which appear to have put on with something beyond Gorilla Glue, but then again, it is one of my "to do" projects when I feel up to attacking the problem. However, I thought this was a good solution that avoided the add on look of the protectors. If you want the add on type, look here at Marco:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-6238-03
or
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-6801-00
Depending if you want plastic peel and stick or metal.

Thanks for the links. Metal may be better but I guess it would be more permanent with the screws. Like to find something for most of my games to avoid the button wear. Any transparent options? Thanks again.

#1024 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks for the links. Metal may be better but I guess it would be more permanent with the screws. Like to find something for most of my games to avoid the button wear. Any transparent options?

You can install the metal lollipop rails without installing the screws on sides by using low abrasive double sticky tape instead or you can install the clear or black mylar version flipper button protectors...

https://www.pinballlife.com/pinguard-flipper-button-wear-protector-set.html

#1025 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

You can install the metal lollipop rails without installing the screws on sides by using low abrasive double sticky tape instead or you can install the clear or black mylar version flipper button protectors...

https://www.pinballlife.com/pinguard-flipper-button-wear-protector-set.html

These are the rails ("lollypop") I was talking about. I got mine for $40 at a show - used but minty... They are $89 new at Marco.

rails (resized).jpg
#1026 1 year ago

Thanks, these are some helpful options.

#1027 1 year ago

I am almost a Tommy member! Part 1 of 2 has arrived. Sent the topper separately by mail. Arrived in one piece.

DDFBCE0E-62C0-47C2-92B7-A7E1CBD87270 (resized).png
#1028 1 year ago

Hey everyone, I have been talking (slowly) with the guy who did the alternate vinyls for Tommy from pinballrr. He is willing to make another run. The cabinet, backbox and alternate translite would go for about $245 shipped to the US. I just asked him to see if he is willing to come down in price if I order several for the pinside community. Not looking to make a profit, just figured I am not the only one who was interested in doing this. Below is the link for the actual kit, feel free to PM me if you are interested. I am probably going to order in a few weeks, but he is really slow getting back to me. This is the one machine that will never leave my collection, so I thought it would be cool to do something unique. Cheers!

http://pinballrr.com/en/work/142/Vinyl/The_Who's_Tommy_-_Mod#servei

#1029 1 year ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Hey everyone, I have been talking (slowly) with the guy who did the alternate vinyls for Tommy from pinballrr.

Too funny, I have as well. He sent me a photo of the original translite, but the new Union Jack side art. My Tommy is too good to add the art, but I thought of getting another to 'Union Jack' it!

#1030 1 year ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Hey everyone, I have been talking (slowly) with the guy who did the alternate vinyls for Tommy from pinballrr. He is willing to make another run. The cabinet, backbox and alternate translite would go for about $245 shipped to the US. I just asked him to see if he is willing to come down in price if I order several for the pinside community. Not looking to make a profit, just figured I am not the only one who was interested in doing this. Below is the link for the actual kit, feel free to PM me if you are interested. I am probably going to order in a few weeks, but he is really slow getting back to me. This is the one machine that will never leave my collection, so I thought it would be cool to do something unique. Cheers!
http://pinballrr.com/en/work/142/Vinyl/The_Who's_Tommy_-_Mod#servei

Okay - I have been in contact with him too! He's quoted me $245 shipped to my house. I've asked "where to send the money" and if he takes PayPal. Funny that several of us are on the same wavelength. I bought his Alternate "GLASS" from a collector here in SC. I think it was 1 of 3 made.

#1031 1 year ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Okay - I have been in contact with him too! He's quoted me $245 shipped to my house. I've asked "where to send the money" and if he takes PayPal. Funny that several of us are on the same wavelength. I bought his Alternate "GLASS" from a collector here in SC. I think it was 1 of 3 made.

Me too. I was just getting ready to start the “how do I purchase” dialogue with him.
I think the translite he is including with the decals is different than the one I think you have, which is mostly red, an actual glass and very cool. This looks to be the same as the production translite, but with different TOMMY lettering/accenting that is more Union Jack and goes with the decal scheme.
I did end up with a prototype translite, but it’s actually 2” shorter than the production version. Same width. Figuring out if and how I want to use it.
Decisions, decisions.
If there is a group purchase, please let us know.

AADE2F7E-EB2C-42DA-8A15-15D290396C3D (resized).jpegC00A94BE-6285-4139-9787-9E9170A01471 (resized).jpeg
#1032 1 year ago

Maybe if more people join, we can do 200 shipped to US. I’m in

#1033 1 year ago

He wrote me back this am, saying he wanted to "wait for me to send Paypal" as he was collecting more orders in the USA, and wanted to do a single run to take care of everybody.
Pretty good news! Glad to see many of us willing to undertake this task. Attached is a pic of the artists 1 of 3 Glass I picked up from another collector here on Pinside. I want to do an entire remake of the cabinet and then add The Who's original recordings using PinSound.

tommy-altern-07 (resized).jpg
#1034 1 year ago

He doesn't seem to be budging on a group purchase. Has anyone thought of how to tackle the top of the backbox? The kit doesn't have anything for it, I think the yellow would look strange with my topper reflecting it.
dallas_pin I would love to have dual Tommys in my collection, but alas I don't have room. My Tommy is just about spotless, so while I want to do this mod, I am a tad hesitant since it will no longer be stock. Was also thinking if I do this, powder coat the rails, door and legs blue to match the Union Jack theme.

#1035 1 year ago
Quoted from zahner:

I did end up with a prototype translite, but it’s actually 2” shorter than the production version. Same width. Figuring out if and how I want to use it.

This is interesting to me - I picked up a prototype translite on eBay a while back and it's the exact same size as the production one. Seems like parts of the top and bottom are cut off on yours.

#1036 1 year ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Has anyone thought of how to tackle the top of the backbox? The kit doesn't have anything for it, I think the yellow would look strange with my topper reflecting it.

The Re-Theme YT video I saw for the first one of these done, the guy sanded and painted the entire cabinet inside and out white - then applied the decals.

#1037 1 year ago
Quoted from Number41:

This is interesting to me - I picked up a prototype translite on eBay a while back and it's the exact same size as the production one. Seems like parts of the top and bottom are cut off on yours.

Probably. Wouldn’t surprise me.

You have a picture of the entire thing?

#1038 1 year ago

Hi folks and Tommy addicts,

I'm looking for the scan of the prototype translite to make a mix with the 2 !
thanks for Ur help ^^

tommy proto vs serie2 (resized).jpg
#1039 1 year ago

The Re-Theme YT video I saw for the first one of these done, the guy sanded and painted the entire cabinet inside and out white - then applied the decals.

It would be lacking the message at the top with the arrows reflecting the pinball wizard on the ball though. I just asked the pinballrr contact, he said he should be able to make it as well. Figure he has the image, just needs to print it as solid white vinyl instead.

#1040 1 year ago

Will he sell the translite by itself? I plan to start working on a new Who orchesration soon for Pinsound. Thanks.

#1041 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Will he sell the translite by itself? I plan to start working on a new Who orchesration soon for Pinsound. Thanks.

I would think so. It's listed on his website separately.

#1042 1 year ago
Quoted from JDub03:

It would be lacking the message at the top with the arrows reflecting the pinball wizard on the ball though. I just asked the pinballrr contact, he said he should be able to make it as well. Figure he has the image, just needs to print it as solid white vinyl instead.

Awesome. Let him know that Murphy Peoples is interested too! : ) LOL

He might as well make a couple while he's at it. : )

#1043 1 year ago

I would think so. It's listed on his website separately.

Actually I like this one better. Anyone sell it? Thanks.

762A11B5-258F-4219-9E4B-3C6C53228AF8 (resized).png
#1044 1 year ago

Guys - here's an update. We all might not be talking about the same European Artist for decals?

One gentlemen is here (not the one I'm interested in) :
http://pinballrr.com/ca/obra/142/Vinils/The_Who's_Tommy_-_Mod#servei

This is the link to the Artist I am working with:
https://www.pinball-dreams.com/flipper-automaten-pinball-kaufen/custom-flipperbau-sonderanfertigungen/tommy-the-who-alternatives-artwork.html?fbclid=IwAR3NSgX85OEFFv7I3UjXCbwoVgLj-l0oD9NdjN3FPzBXGUfztpFMbkGXsmI

This guy has the translite Pinballjah is seeking as well.

just throwing this out there. You might want to check both links? Kind of funny if we've been dealing with two different providers.
Murphy

#1045 1 year ago

This guy has the translite Pinballjah is seeking as well.
just throwing this out there. You might want to check both links? Kind of funny if we've been dealing with two different providers.
Murphy

Thanks for clarifying. Does he sell the translite separately?

#1046 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks for clarifying. Does he sell the translite separately?

it's listed there as available separately, so I would believe so.

#1047 1 year ago
Quoted from zahner:

Probably. Wouldn’t surprise me.
You have a picture of the entire thing?

This post has a shot from when I had it installed in my game:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/10#post-3363309

#1048 1 year ago

Thanks. Oh well, another wall hanging. One of those good faith purchases. I’m going with the thought that the guy who sold it to me didn’t know. I have faith in my fellow man.

I’m gonna order the decal set with the alt translite.

Between that and the pinsound plus board, their new shaker, the ENERGI board for the LEDs, new plastics and my eventual purchase of a color DMD, I’m running out of things to buy - and we can’t have that.

#1049 1 year ago

it's listed there as available separately, so I would believe so.

I sent them an email, they won’t reproduce it. For a specific customer. Not sure why they would turn down business? Maybe copyright issues?

#1050 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I sent them an email, they won’t reproduce it. For a specific customer. Not sure why they would turn down business? Maybe copyright issues?

I had the same issue, he said it was a one off and he doesn't have license/copyright access.

pinballrr.com is the kit I am considering currently, just wondering how I will like it with all the yellow in the playfield.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 19.00
Boards
PinSound
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 25.00
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
There are 1519 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 31.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside