(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,017 posts
  • 127 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by HIPPY
  • Topic is favorited by 64 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 257 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
AF762282-A3F5-4714-847F-7C764A3E4640 (resized).jpeg
GEDC5612.JPG
GEDC5611.JPG
GEDC5609.JPG
image (resized).jpg
GEDC5585.JPG
GEDC5565.JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3135 (resized).jpg
IMG_3136 (resized).jpg
Tommy (resized).jpg
IMGP4408 (resized).JPG
1 (resized).JPG

There are 1017 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 21.
#1001 51 days ago
Quoted from zacaj:

they're for the printer?

I forgot about DE printers. GnR has one, but it’s tucked out of the way.

#1002 50 days ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I think they're for the printer?

Could be, mine are not attached to anything, either.

#1003 50 days ago

Whenever I get a new game I like to watch the movie or in this case the play to better understand some of the rules, call-outs and objectives. By the way I forced myself to watch Barbwire when I picked up that machine-it was cringe worthy.

Link for rules/objectives:
http://pinball.org/rules/tommy.html

1 month later
#1004 16 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

Totally works. I used Tommy OST and it works perfectly. It’s here: https://www.pinsound.org/pinballs/data-east-r3/the-whos-tommy-pinball-wizard/
I later modified it by swapping in different versions of a few songs, and it still was fine.

Mine is not working with the code. Any suggestions. I hear the pin sound when powered up. So maybe ribbon cable?

#1005 16 days ago

Couple ideas... you need to leave the usb drive in the pinsound card. The first boot up takes a while (1-2hours) to unpack and load on the pinsound board (the card still needs the usb after that). I hope that helps - great product especially for Tommy.

#1006 16 days ago
Quoted from pinmister:

By the way I forced myself to watch Barbwire when I picked up that machine-it was cringe worthy

I know this is off the Tommy subject but how did you find Barbwire as a game? I played one in Iceland and it seemed kind of interesting, I've always been half looking for one since!

#1007 16 days ago
Quoted from hank527:

Mine is not working with the code. Any suggestions. I hear the pin sound when powered up. So maybe ribbon cable?

Yeah, I had fits when I was first starting to use the pinsound board. Same exact issue. Lame (me) thing I discovered is that I was using too small a USB thumb drive. It just wouldn’t hold enough to load everything up. And it does take a long time the first time you do it, because it’s basically creating all the files.

A great resource was here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound

As I got more comfortable with working with the files, it became apparent how to swap different songs and do things like that. My ultimate discovery was that everything I was having trouble with was easily solved - Nothing I had to resolve has anything to do with anything terribly technical. If you’re going to just run the sound package without trying to change anything, it should be very simple. Really make sure that you have a big enough drive first.

#1008 16 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

Yeah, I had fits when I was first starting to use the pinsound board. Same exact issue. Lame (me) thing I discovered is that I was using too small a USB thumb drive. It just wouldn’t hold enough to load everything up. And it does take a long time the first time you do it, because it’s basically creating all the files.
A great resource was here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound
As I got more comfortable with working with the files, it became apparent how to swap different songs and do things like that. My ultimate discovery was that everything I was having trouble with was easily solved - Nothing I had to resolve has anything to do with anything terribly technical. If you’re going to just run the sound package without trying to change anything, it should be very simple. Really make sure that you have a big enough drive first.

Issue was solved by adding new firmware. Old firmware clipped after 5 seconds and only played one song.

Game is awesome. I highly recommend pinsound Tommy alternate mix. The game is awesome with the proper music by The Who.

May buy a few more as I want one for Indiana Jones.

#1009 15 days ago
Quoted from hank527:

Game is awesome. I highly recommend pinsound Tommy alternate mix. The game is awesome with the proper music by The Who.
May buy a few more as I want one for Indiana Jones.

Glad it was simple. The Pinsound board is a great product indeed. Totally agree that Tommy is awesome.

#1010 15 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

Glad it was simple. The Pinsound board is a great product indeed. Totally agree that Tommy is awesome.

Once I can finally track down a decent Tommy, I plan to do a Who orchestration with all their greatest hits. Already bought the Pinsound card, Flipper Fidelity speakers and color DMD for it, before I even have the game lol.

#1011 11 days ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

I know this is off the Tommy subject but how did you find Barbwire as a game? I played one in Iceland and it seemed kind of interesting, I've always been half looking for one since!

I love my Barbwire. It has a great unique layout and probably one of the best skill shots in pinball with Big Fatso gate that lifts up and down and having to time the shot just right. I think if it was not for the theme-it would be a really popular game. I played Barbwire at O-din's house and I had to have it-I bugged him until he sold it to me.

Still loving my Tommy. I have been playing with original ROM and I have the 5.0 ROM ready to install but I really want to get my feet wet with original code first. Can anyone tell me a brief explanation of differences with the new 5.0 v.s. original? Thanks

#1012 11 days ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Still loving my Tommy. I have been playing with original ROM and I have the 5.0 ROM ready to install but I really want to get my feet wet with original code first. Can anyone tell me a brief explanation of differences with the new 5.0 v.s. original? Thanks

Wayyyy better. More use of blinders. Don’t wait. Do it now!

Look here:

http://www.pinballcode.com/tommy5

#1013 11 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Once I can finally track down a decent Tommy, I plan to do a Who orchestration with all their greatest hits. Already bought the Pinsound card, Flipper Fidelity speakers and color DMD for it, before I even have the game lol.

I like the way you think!

#1014 10 days ago

Pardon me for a minute... My, DE Simpsons backbox got busted up during shipping and I might have a lead on a repo Tommy backbox. If any of you happen to have the Simpsons, could you see if it uses the same backbox as Tommy?

Thanks you.

#1015 5 days ago

Just completed a restore on my Tommy. I got with HEP, he installed service rails and told me to get the Spike version. It was easy an they sure are nice. No more pegs, it can be done.

#1016 4 days ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

Just completed a restore on my Tommy. I got with HEP, he installed service rails and told me to get the Spike version. It was easy an they sure are nice. No more pegs, it can be done.

Can you take pics?

#1017 4 days ago

No more pegs, very nice. The 2 bottom screws are threaded into existing spots. The 4 top screws are hex screws. Spike system, Pinball Life. I believe it has a lower profile than the Sam.

Quoted from hank527:

Can you take pics?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
There are 1017 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 21.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside