(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png
There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 46.
#951 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Love the Color LED in this game.

My only game without color .. thanks for costing me more money! :/.

#952 4 years ago

I am looking to purchase or trade for a nice Tommy. Looking for one with no flipper button wear and nice shooter lane/playfield. If anyone is looking to leave the club please let me know-thanks.

#953 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am looking to purchase or trade for a nice Tommy. Looking for one with no flipper button wear and nice shooter lane/playfield

Good luck sir! I was able to find one after a few months of searching and being picky. Unfortunately I was unable to see it in person and it was not exactly in the ‘excellent’ condition as promised by the owner. Cabinet was good; PF was good, just cheap hacks that I’ve been replacing. Side note, CPR is in preorder for the PF and have plastics in stock

#954 4 years ago

Anyone have any luck finding out about the Union Jack art?

#955 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

No one has ever contacted me back ... I have tried 3 times.

#956 4 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

I tried too. Nothing. I emailed and left a message with the company that touted the ability to do custom cabinet decals. Nothing. I plan on trying again this week.

Beginning to feel unloved....

#957 4 years ago

Would appreciate any help, it's a bummer to have a Tommy with nothing showing on the screen!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-display-challenges-tommy

#958 4 years ago
Quoted from colocole:

Would appreciate any help, it's a bummer to have a Tommy with nothing showing on the screen!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-display-challenges-tommy

You have tried the obvious thing I take it - reseating all the display ROMs ?

#959 4 years ago

I haven’t, I’ll do that tonight and update, thanks!

#960 4 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Good luck sir! I was able to find one after a few months of searching and being picky. Unfortunately I was unable to see it in person and it was not exactly in the ‘excellent’ condition as promised by the owner. Cabinet was good; PF was good, just cheap hacks that I’ve been replacing. Side note, CPR is in preorder for the PF and have plastics in stock

I have been watching CPR for over a year.Still, in the "might make" section. I gave up and bought a restorable one on Pinside. Swapping it now, in my spare time. What a job.I got a great cabinet. I got it up your way at TPF two years ago.

#961 4 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

You have tried the obvious thing I take it - reseating all the display ROMs ?

The good: the display comes on now, appears mainly due to flipping the display cable on the Display controller board (believe ColorDMD install instr. said put pin 1 to right, it's on the left now and display came on, maybe it's due to the replacement Stern board instead of DE?).

The bad: display freezes and then turns off. When I unplug either end of the display cable the Rom msg comes on and sometimes the display "recovers" and works normally into the beginning of the first ball if I quickly replug the cable, then freezes again. Can most consistently get display back by sliding display cable on/off connector at CPU board (but also works to do it at display board). Can't find any consistent way to get display to stay on or not freeze. Machine does seem to have other minor glitches related to this, sound will delay when display glitches sometimes, ball sitting in VUK but machine has lost it, power down and on recovers...CPU board problem? Thanks for the help.

IMG_3135 (resized).jpgIMG_3135 (resized).jpgIMG_3136 (resized).jpgIMG_3136 (resized).jpg
#962 4 years ago
Quoted from colocole:

The good: the display comes on now, appears mainly due to flipping the display cable on the Display controller board (believe ColorDMD install instr. said put pin 1 to right, it's on the left now and display came on, maybe it's due to the replacement Stern board instead of DE?).
The bad: display freezes and then turns off. When I unplug either end of the display cable the Rom msg comes on and sometimes the display "recovers" and works normally into the beginning of the first ball if I quickly replug the cable, then freezes again. Can most consistently get display back by sliding display cable on/off connector at CPU board (but also works to do it at display board). Can't find any consistent way to get display to stay on or not freeze. Machine does seem to have other minor glitches related to this, sound will delay when display glitches sometimes, ball sitting in VUK but machine has lost it, power down and on recovers...CPU board problem? Thanks for the help.[quoted image][quoted image]

Are these ALL new ribbon cables ? I have had issues in the past with DE games and the long Ribbon from the CPU was failing.

If reseating the connector is temporarily fixing it then it would seem either the cable or the header pins are the issue. Give the header pins a good clean ?

#963 4 years ago

Found this in the Market (not mine); not sure if anyone needs a PF before CPR gets theirs out the door, but here you go:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nos-tommy-playfield-

#965 4 years ago

At the GSPF Lodi show this past weekend... there were 3 Tommy's for sale there. As I recall from $4-4500

1 week later
#966 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

After numerous attempts, no response on my end. I did reach out to another place in Germany that replied saying it was a one off for them and they didn't have the rights to make more. So I gave up.

#967 4 years ago

Hey Tommy owners; I do not own a ROM burner, can someone burn me Chad's 5.0 Roms for Tommy? I'd happily pay for the time/rom.

#968 4 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Hey Tommy owners; I do not own a ROM burner, can someone burn me Chad's 5.0 Roms for Tommy? I'd happily pay for the time/rom.

Meloyelo51 can hook you up, he runs Matt's Basement Arcade https://mattsbasementarcade.com/

I've ordered from Matt plenty of times, he's great!

Be sure to donate a few bucks for beer money to ChadH for his hard work here: http://www.pinballcode.com/

#969 4 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

I've ordered from Matt plenty of times, he's great!
Be sure to donate a few bucks for beer money to ChadH

Awesome, thank you and I will for sure!

#970 4 years ago

Sigh... can anyone give me an idea of where to look for this issue. Tommy flippers don't respond at all. When I go to the switch test, both flippers register. Yet, when I boot the game. Nothing. I think the trough is effed up as well. As the coil will kick a couple of times after it puts a ball in play but then the launcher won't work. I swear, DE games are WAY more buggy than my WMS/Bally games.

I've rebuilt the auto-launcher and flippers just because they needed it. This game has a ton of issues and I'm trying to work through them. I'm teaching myself as I go. Its rewarding but frustrating as hell. And Jesus, DE parts are unobtainium. A switch for the Super VUK was only available from one vendor and by the time is was shipped, it was $28 for one simple microswitch.

#971 4 years ago

Trough: Most likely problems are the leftmost (drainmost) switch and the exit switches. There are two, since DE decided to have the neat gravity-fed trough require an extra kicker to get the ball to the shooter lane. On my game, this switch was slightly out of adjustment, and the game couldn't see a ball in the staging area. This caused a lot of weirdness.

But that's secondary to the flippers being dead. Get a multimeter. Make sure there is +50V at the flippers. The flipper coils have a diode. If you ground the non-banded side, you should see the flipper kick. (Don't do this for long, it heats up the coil.) Make sure all the fuses are good; since all the flippers are dead, something in the power supply is most likely not working. The flippers are driven from a PCB in the cabinet. IIRC it must be plugged in for the switches to register, but make sure its high-power fuses are all good, and it's getting +50V. You should also be able to ground the tabs on the transistors here to see them kick.

But since none of them are working, and both switches are working, check for voltage.

#972 4 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

So maybe dumb question here but there seems to be at least 5 of us that are interested in this art or something similar.

Anyone have a contacts with a custom art shop that can pull this off?

I know over on the Virtual Pinball forum there are a couple guys that have done art for a ton of games and style cabinets.

Just a thought, if we all buy we may be able to work a group but deal.

#973 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Anyone have a contacts with a custom art shop that can pull this off?

I do not, but I would like to get a set. My cab is in great condition, but would hold on to the art for later or pick up another Tommy and make it Union Jack Tommy ..

#974 4 years ago

Hello to all,
Ive found recently a Tommy, very nice machine i have to say, i would love to restore it, is there any insert decal for it? My center zone is not 100%. If the inserts were black i could make some waterslide decals, but in white is not that easy. Any tips to fix it?
Regards

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#975 4 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

If the inserts were black i could make some waterslide decals, but in white is not that easy.

Inserts were white (center of Union Jack). I've never seen insert decals for Tommy. CPR has this playfield in their preorder, so there is that option?

#976 4 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Inserts were white (center of Union Jack). I've never seen insert decals for Tommy. CPR has this playfield in their preorder, so there is that option?

No man, i prefer to restore it for sure

#977 4 years ago

Any ideas about this "problem"?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tommy-blinders-2

Thanks

#978 4 years ago

Looks like driver board issue to me

#979 4 years ago

Do you have the blades in the correct position relative to the throw of the servo? Otherwise, I’d check out the two adjustment screws/pots on the driver. Seems like they might be acting up.

#980 4 years ago

Well ive drop the other link, i think is more produtive to place it here.
Ive check it and in the diagnostics TESTS all works just nice.

Ive measure the voltage at the entry of the board during GAMEPLAY and the values look a bit fluctuating, i should measure around 12v stable, can some of you guys check it also please.

Video

1 week later
#981 4 years ago

Is the install of a LCD DMD worth the trouble for a Tommy? Anyone have the LCD installed? Understand there are some issues with it. Thanks.

#982 4 years ago

Has anyone used Chad's tommy 5.0 roms with pinsound? Does the new code still work with Pinsound?

#983 4 years ago

Yes I have Chad's code and pinsound. Works great highly recommend.

Quoted from jewboyflowerhead:

Has anyone used Chad's tommy 5.0 roms with pinsound? Does the new code still work with Pinsound?

#984 4 years ago
Quoted from jewboyflowerhead:

Totally works. I used Tommy OST and it works perfectly. It’s here: https://www.pinsound.org/pinballs/data-east-r3/the-whos-tommy-pinball-wizard/
I later modified it by swapping in different versions of a few songs, and it still was fine.

#985 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

Sigh... can anyone give me an idea of where to look for this issue. Tommy flippers don't respond at all. When I go to the switch test, both flippers register. Yet, when I boot the game. Nothing. I think the trough is effed up as well. As the coil will kick a couple of times after it puts a ball in play but then the launcher won't work. I swear, DE games are WAY more buggy than my WMS/Bally games.
I've rebuilt the auto-launcher and flippers just because they needed it. This game has a ton of issues and I'm trying to work through them. I'm teaching myself as I go. Its rewarding but frustrating as hell. And Jesus, DE parts are unobtainium. A switch for the Super VUK was only available from one vendor and by the time is was shipped, it was $28 for one simple microswitch.

does the led's on the flipper board in the bottom of the cabinet light up when you hit the flippers?

#986 4 years ago

The hunt is over....I finally found a nice Tommy with zero flipper button wear. Really hard to find especially with the yellow cabinet that is susceptible to premature flipper button wear. I am super stoked and am thankful to a great pinsider that contacted me. I now need to install the 5.0 rom and I need custom instruction cards. Does anyone have any custom card files they can share? -Thanks

GEDC5565.JPGGEDC5565.JPGGEDC5585.JPGGEDC5585.JPG
#987 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Is the install of a LCD DMD worth the trouble for a Tommy? Anyone have the LCD installed? Understand there are some issues with it. Thanks.

I did it a couple of years ago before the LED was available.

You do have to cut a piece from the rear of the display panel - this is not visible from the front but obviously means your panel is forever altered if that kind of thing bothers you. You will need a dremel type tool to do this. The screen sits high in front of the light panel, I had to remove a couple of lamps to allow it to fit , and it means you can't swing out the light panel without dropping the display flat. Which isn't really an issue tbh.

If the LED had of been available I would have gone with that option.

To be honest I think I have been more impressed with the ColorDMD in other titles .... for some reason it looked a little 'flat' in Tommy to me, maybe the choice of colours ....the LED version probably 'pops' a bit more.

#988 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Does anyone have any custom card files they can share?

Try pinballcards.com

#989 4 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

I did it a couple of years ago before the LED was available.
You do have to cut a piece from the rear of the display panel - this is not visible from the front but obviously means your panel is forever altered if that kind of thing bothers you. You will need a dremel type tool to do this. The screen sits high in front of the light panel, I had to remove a couple of lamps to allow it to fit , and it means you can't swing out the light panel without dropping the display flat. Which isn't really an issue tbh.
If the LED had of been available I would have gone with that option.
To be honest I think I have been more impressed with the ColorDMD in other titles .... for some reason it looked a little 'flat' in Tommy to me, maybe the choice of colours ....the LED version probably 'pops' a bit more.

Thanks I got one of each for two different games so will see how the LED looks in the Tommy. Although it’s a bit pre-mature as I am still in the process of getting the game shipped

#990 4 years ago
Quoted from Catch86:

Try pinballcards.com

Man those are some great cards. There are two versions and I am having difficulty choosing which one to use. I am going to print both out and then decide.

http://www.pinballcards.com/Search?submit_form=0&search=tommy

#991 4 years ago

Question for the Tommy owners with the Color DMD; where did you tap into power? Instructions call for J16 on the power supply board, but on mine, there is no J16 and no power supply tap near the coin door like other DE titles.

#992 4 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Question for the Tommy owners with the Color DMD; where did you tap into power? Instructions call for J16 on the power supply board, but on mine, there is no J16 and no power supply tap near the coin door like other DE titles.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#993 4 years ago

For anyone wanting a NOS playfield, one is at auction on EBay.

#994 4 years ago

Thanks HIPPY Found C6 yesterday; instruction manual is misleading for Tommy!

#995 4 years ago

I just ordered a full plastics set for mine at CPR. Take a look at all the clear plastics you might be missing, like me. Lots of extra stuff, too. Pinbits has sets of plastics protectors for it, too. Check it out.

#996 4 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

I just ordered a full plastics set for mine at CPR. Take a look at all the clear plastics you might be missing, like me. Lots of extra stuff, too. Pinbits has sets of plastics protectors for it, too. Check it out.

I just install both in my Tommy. Very nice. Had a minor issue and the CPR folks totally jumped on it. The protectors are a great addition - especially on the judge VUK plastic that gets slammed from the inside as well as the outside.

#997 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I just install both in my Tommy. Very nice. Had a minor issue and the CPR folks totally jumped on it. The protectors are a great addition - especially on the judge VUK plastic that gets slammed from the inside as well as the outside.

I put protectors on all my games, if available. They sure do their job. Hunting for one broke plastic gets pretty aggravating.

#998 4 years ago

Decided to go with the unique cards, the other cards matched the game better-but I still liked the other batch better. I ordered super bands in yellow but decided to do orange and red instead. Also installed mylar flipper button protectors. This game is so awesome, and has a ton of great shots and objectives. Playing with the blinders is one of the coolest features in all of pinball, I am loving Tommy!
GEDC5609.JPGGEDC5609.JPGGEDC5611.JPGGEDC5611.JPGGEDC5612.JPGGEDC5612.JPG

#999 4 years ago

Tracking down power/flipper issues with my previously ‘restored’ Tommy. Game plays fine without these connected, but what do they go to? They are located above the service box. Wiring color is part of the flipper chain. Any photos or input is welcome!

AF762282-A3F5-4714-847F-7C764A3E4640 (resized).jpegAF762282-A3F5-4714-847F-7C764A3E4640 (resized).jpeg
#1000 4 years ago

I think they're for the printer?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.95
€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/20?hl=pinballjah and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.