(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 994 posts
  • 125 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Dallas_Pin
  • Topic is favorited by 65 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 250 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
GEDC5585.JPG
GEDC5565.JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3135 (resized).jpg
IMG_3136 (resized).jpg
Tommy (resized).jpg
IMGP4408 (resized).JPG
1 (resized).JPG
11200769_881764665231364_3844992065618555698_n (resized).jpg
ECF6089B-E32C-4408-83D6-485C4FDB5300 (resized).png
Capture (resized).JPG
Silverball Target IMG_4050 (resized).JPG
20190103_130200 (resized).jpg
111 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG

There are 994 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 20.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

One of the longest games I have owned! 18 years, I think.
For about 10 years it was stored, and I only opened and shopped earlier in the year.
Gosh this game is so damn good! I wish I could use original Who music, but I am OK.
When finished, the ramps flowed like a NIB!
It hasnt lost its luster of play, and is always a joy....every game ends in a smile!
Id stick my neck out to say, if you are looking for a killer game that seems to be in the 2-3K range...
this ones a must!
Redid the lights, of course, and Ill be adding new 6.3V lighting affects to the plane in the near future....
I have some cool ideas with our new products, like Post lights shining down from the bottom of the plane
to light or flash with inserts.....
Anyway, a Few pics too...one day Ill be a better photographer! Still, id like to Play TimeBandits! Get er Done!

tommy4.jpg tommy21.jpg tommy5.jpg tommy22.jpg tommy23.jpg tommy24.jpg

If you had a kit for this Art I would buy it!

#52 3 years ago

Gentlemen,
I am not a member of this club (yet), but I just played Tommy for the first time (with Pinsound) at a buddy's house and was blown away.
What an awesome title. Now I need to find one..........
-Kyros

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Text should be clear, everything else was a little blury. My topper had a few dings though.

That's how mine is. Cool!

#54 3 years ago

Signed by Pete Townsend IMG9517621.jpgIMG9517601.jpg

#55 3 years ago

Just curious

Other than pinball wizard what other songs from tommy are on the machine?

#56 3 years ago

Let's see...

Acid Queen
Fiddle About (yuck)
Captain Walker
Amazing Journey
Christmas
See Me Feel Me
Cousin Kevin
Sensation
Smash the Mirror
There's a Doctor

Sure I am missing a few...

#57 3 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Let's see...
Acid Queen
Fiddle About (yuck)
Captain Walker
Amazing Journey
Christmas
See Me Feel Me
Cousin Kevin
Sensation
Smash the Mirror
There's a Doctor

Can you tell me where/when Amazing Journey is played?

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Let's see...
Acid Queen
Fiddle About (yuck)
Captain Walker
Amazing Journey
Christmas
See Me Feel Me
Cousin Kevin
Sensation
Smash the Mirror
There's a Doctor

No overture, sparks, we're not gonna take it or I'm free?

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

No overture, sparks, we're not gonna take it or I'm free?

The Overture opens the game I believe. A (really bad) version of We're Not Gonna Take It is in there as is I'm Free. Sorry, not near the game to remember all this.

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I think it's when you get a jackpot in Tommy Multiball. Will try to check in a bit.

#61 3 years ago

Ok, on the flyer it lists "21 hit songs". They are:

Pinball Wizard
I'm Free
Tommy's Holiday Camp
Cousin Kevin
Tommy Can You Hear Me
See Me, Feel Me
Sparks
Miracle Cure
Amazing Journey
We're Not Gonna Take it
Acid Queen
Sally Simpson
Go to the Mirror
Fiddle About
Christmas
There's a Doctor
Captain Walker
Sensation
Smash the Mirror
Listening to You
The Overture

So yeah, that's the list.

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Amazing journey starts playing at the first jackpot during TOMMY multiball. Hit the lit ramp during multiball and it starts playing until the multiball is over.

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

The Overture opens the game I believe. A (really bad) version of We're Not Gonna Take It is in there as is I'm Free. Sorry, not near the game to remember all this.

Not a bad list. As a WHO fan I think if I decide to get one of these it would have to have the pin sound upgrade with the actual WHO singing the songs. Sounds much better and I think it uses the relatively new remastered tommy soundtrack.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Not a bad list. As a WHO fan I think if I decide to get one of these it would have to have the pin sound upgrade with the actual WHO singing the songs. Sounds much better and I think it uses the relatively new remastered tommy soundtrack.

Its funny, as a WHO fan too, I thought I would want to replace the tracks too, but I really like the mix in the game, so its staying. I added a nice subwoofer to it and it sounds great.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

I think it's when you get a jackpot in Tommy Multiball.

This is correct.

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

If you had a kit for this Art I would buy it!

The whole game was done with Twin 2835 Frosted in Sunlight, GI and Back Box,
All inserts were color matched with the same.

There are two issues with Kits.

One is How do I know my taste is the same as someone else?
Second is the cost....People pay for the instructions, and the time to pick.
I am hoping most people dont need an instruction sheet that says put Red bulb under Red insert, Green under Green,
Yellow under Yellow....Thats pretty easy.

I see that Kits would run from say $190-$240, and those available are only with 1 SMD. Some kits promote the need for non ghosting.
I personally didnt need any non ghosting bulbs.

If one picks up 100 Wedge Twin 2835 Frosted for $59, and 50 44/47 same for $32.50, then the whole game could be done
even with flashers for around $100 with Free shipping,
If one counts their inserts and lifts the play field, taking about 10 minutes of notes, one could create a pretty good list, and flashers.
That would run around $115 tops.
I just have a hard time asking an extra $100 for the info and hand counting,

Yet, I respect that some want this, and there are the great people at CT and PBB, that have kits to accomplish this but in 1 SMD 5050.

Just not my first choice of bulb, but great kits anyway, for those needing LEDs that way......All good!

#67 3 years ago

How do you get the original Who songs into the game? Any videos of this?

#68 3 years ago

You need a pinsound board. Here's a video of it:

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Its funny, as a WHO fan too, I thought I would want to replace the tracks too, but I really like the mix in the game, so its staying. I added a nice subwoofer to it and it sounds great.

Yep. As I mentioned before ... in the context of a pinball game most of The Who originals actually sound a bit dreary/plodding to me. There is a reason that as a Who fan why I don't actually listen to Tommy that often

https://www.facebook.com/The-Whos-Tommy-Pinball-Wizard-Pinball-Machine-Data-East-1994-147739828633855/

#70 3 years ago

I'm a huge fan of both versions (original and Broadway), but also prefer the "in-context" game music like Ive said. I can understand why some fans may prefer the original versions, though. A lot of the Broadway versions of the songs have a much faster tempo (like Amazing Journey and Sensation), which works nicely in fast paced pinball. I'm surprised no one (from what I've seen) has used a Pinsound board to replace the Data East tracks with the corresponding tracks from the Broadway cast recording - it would be sort of like a music remaster haha. That might be a fun experiment for me some day if I ever get a Pinsound board.

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

You need a pinsound board. Here's a video of it:

That is sweet! Does the board come with the songs pre installed, or is there any downloading work to be done?

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from mulder2010:

That is sweet! Does the board come with the songs pre installed, or is there any downloading work to be done?

You have to download them, but someone has already made up the package and it is in the community.

#73 3 years ago

On the wishlist

#74 3 years ago

TOMMY COMBOS EXPLAINED!

I don't see this fully documented anywhere else. So here we go.

UNIQUE COMBOS:
3 Way Combo - Right Ramp, Left Ramp, Right Scoop - Scores 10 Million
3 Way Combo - Left Ramp, Right Orbit, Mirror - Scores 10 Million and advances two TOMMY letters
4 Way Combo - Right Orbit, Right Ramp, Left Ramp, Right Scoop - Scores 20 Million
4 Way Combo - Right Orbit, Right Ramp, Genius Lane, Mirror - Scores 20 Million and advances three TOMMY letters

BUILDING COMBOS:
3 Way Combo - Left Ramp, Right Orbit, Right Ramp - Scores 10 Million
Can build to a 4 Way Combo - Genius Lane - Scores additional 20 Million
Can build to a 5 Way Combo - Mirror - Scores additional 10 Million and immediately lites Multiball Ready.

Also, there are these miscellaneous Combo/Bonuses:
One Way Combo - When Mirror is down at start of ball and player launches ball into play with a full plunge and immediately shoots the Tommy hole from the upper left flipper - Scores 5 Million
Sigma Bonus - Bounced off the right side of the Silver Ball target and into the Tommy hole when Mirror is down and Multiball is ready - Scores 10 Million
Extra Ball Combo - From Lite Extra Ball at Right Scoop to Genius Lane where you immediately Collect Extra Ball - Scores 5 Million
4 Engine Start Bonus - Four consecutive shots to the Left Ramp (only available during higher Captain Walker levels where it takes 4 or more Left Ramp shots to start the Captain Walker Spinner/Ramp Bomb Dropping mode) - Scores 10 Million
Lyman Bonus - If you drain on your last ball and are within 2 Million of the replay score, you will be awarded an extra 2 Million and you will get your replay - Scores 2 Million
Ramp Skill Shot - Shot to the right ramp after full plunge at start of ball - Scores 10 Million
Race To Wizard - Start Pinball Wizard before ever starting a multiball - Scores 20 Million
Parachute Sneak-In Award - Shot to the Parachute hole during regular gameplay when Skill Shot is at maximum - Scores 1 Million

#75 3 years ago

Thanks, good info. There's also the "one way combo", bounce off the silverball target into the mirror.

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Thanks, good info. There's also the "one way combo", bounce off the silverball target into the mirror.

Actually, the One Way Combo is when the Mirror is down at the start of the ball and you launch the ball and make the Tommy hole shot immediately off the upper left flipper. It is worth 5 Million. I'll edit my previous post to include this.

You were describing the Sigma Bonus.

#77 3 years ago

Oldpinguy I like your choice of colors in your back box. Any chance you can post a pick with the translight removed so I can see what colors you have where. Just got my Tommy two weeks ago and love it. Also does anyone know if you can adjust the encore time or is it set by game difficulty?
Great forum BTW!

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from Rhlufa:

Also does anyone know if you can adjust the encore time or is it set by game difficulty?

Encore (Ball Save) is not adjustable. It is based on amount of switches hit. I think it is 4 or 5 switch closures.

But these switches do not count until Skill Shot is either determined to be Success or Fail:
Top Left Rollover
Top Right Rollover
Right Ramp Entrance
Left Spinner
Right Spinner

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

TOMMY COMBOS EXPLAINED!
I don't see this documented anywhere else. So here we go.
UNIQUE COMBOS:
3 Way Combo - Right Ramp, Left Ramp, Right Scoop - Scores 10 Million
3 Way Combo - Left Ramp, Right Orbit, Mirror - Scores 10 Million and advances two TOMMY letters
4 Way Combo - Right Orbit, Right Ramp, Left Ramp, Right Scoop - Scores 20 Million
4 Way Combo - Right Orbit, Right Ramp, Genius Lane, Mirror - Scores 20 Million and advances three TOMMY letters
BUILDING COMBOS:
3 Way Combo - Left Ramp, Right Orbit, Right Ramp - Scores 10 Million
Can build to a 4 Way Combo - Genius Lane - Scores additional 20 Million
Can build to a 5 Way Combo - Mirror - Scores additional 10 Million and immediately lites Multiball Ready.
Also, there are these miscellaneous Combo/Bonuses:
1 Way Combo - When Mirror is down at start of ball and player launches ball into play with a full plunge and immediately shoots the Tommy hole from the upper left flipper - Scores 5 Million
Sigma Bonus - Bounced off the right side of the Silver Ball target and into the Tommy hole when Mirror is down and Multiball is ready - Scores 10 Million
Extra Ball Combo - From Lite Extra Ball at Right Scoop to Genius Lane where you immediately Collect Extra Ball - Scores 5 Million
4 Engine Start Bonus - Four consecutive shots to the Left Ramp (only available during higher Captain Walker levels where it takes 4 or more Left Ramp shots to start the Captain Walker Spinner/Ramp Bomb Dropping mode) - Scores 10 Million

Great stuff. Thanks for documenting Chad

#80 3 years ago

Thanks ChadH!!

#81 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

See if you could steal the shaker code from the japanese release?

If anyone has a copy of the ROMs that have shaker code... please PM me.

#82 3 years ago

If anyone needs water slides for the top (reflects off the ball topper) I found who makes them.

#83 3 years ago

Dmacy what are water slides? I just got my Tommy and while I don't have a silver ball on my BB their is some sort of base.

#84 3 years ago

Kind of off topic.

I just got to say... I've always liked The Who on the periphery. I liked them but never owned any of their albums. I grew up in the 70's/80's in a house where one brother mainly listened to Pink Floyd and another mainly listened to The Who. I've always leaned towards Pink Floyd, Queen, Supertramp, and The Beatles.

I never really got into The Who... but I knew I liked them.

Well... getting my hands on a Tommy pinball machine made me go out and rent the movie Tommy a couple weeks ago since I had never seen it. Then last weekend I just found a used copy of Tommy on vinyl at a record store. I've been listening to this album a lot. It has really grown on me! At first I was taken aback by it... maybe because I always thought it would be more polished like the later concept albums (such as Pink Floyd's The Wall). But when I put myself in the mindset of when this album was released (1969) and think of how it came out alongside other albums from bands I am more familiar with (like Saucerful of Secret from Pink Floyd) then it really opened me up to be able to appreciate it for its time. Tommy has a much more raw sound overall. Dark Side of the Moon came four years later... and The Wall came ten years later!

This album Tommy is great. I am so glad I've gone down this path. I have a whole new appreciation for The Who.

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from Rhlufa:

Dmacy what are water slides? I just got my Tommy and while I don't have a silver ball on my BB their is some sort of base.

It's the text that is mirrored so when the mirror ball is on top, you see it reflecting. My cabinet was bad on the top so I had to sand it down.

image.jpeg

#86 3 years ago

My Tommy machine is finally home! I'm beyond thrilled to finally own this game after two decades of dreaming about it. As I mentioned in a previous post, the unit is HUO and in excellent shape - playfield is fantastic with minimal wear, topper is intact (though a little damaged, sadly), and the blinders still work perfectly. It was used lightly enough that it has all of the original lamps and only 4 or 5 were dead. I think I got a good deal ($2900) considering the shape it's in. It did exhibit some quirky behavior after I got it home - launching double balls and thinking balls were missing. I had the trough switches' sensitivity adjusted and that seems to have solved the problem. I've cleaned it up a bit, installed some new balls and playfield glass, and added the propeller mod from Rob Hoffman (who was great to deal with like everyone says). Everything's looking and playing great! The main spot of wear and tear on my playfield is the right side VUK hole, so I'm thinking about getting some Cliffy protectors. I've decided against upgrading the speakers after hearing how loud it is in my apartment haha. Can't wait to play the heck out of this bad boy!

Sitting pretty next to a poster signed by the cast:
IMG_0372.JPG

IMG_0351.jpg
IMG_0344.jpg
IMG_0375.jpg

#87 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

TOMMY COMBOS EXPLAINED!

Thanks a lot for these, I always wondered what exactly the combos are.

There's also a bonus which is called "Race to Wizard" or something, for reaching Wizard Mode on the first ball.

I wish there was an easier way to P-ROC (or similar) Tommy. I'd definitely do a rewrite of the software if the hardware part was easier.

#88 3 years ago

Enjoy, Number41...I have mine 15 plus years...Every time I turn it on, it brings a smile, and great fun....

I found NOS silver ball Target at Mayfair, if this is of help to anyone.

#89 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Enjoy, Number41...I have mine 15 plus years...Every time I turn it on, it brings a smile, and great fun....
I found NOS silver ball Target at Mayfair, if this is of help to anyone.

Thank you! I'll be the exact same way. I'm having as much fun cleaning, tuning, and tinkering as I am playing it! The silver ball target on my machine is actually a bit worn - so I'll have to see if I can get one from Mayfair as well - thanks so much!

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

Thank you! I'll be the exact same way. I'm having as much fun cleaning, tuning, and tinkering as I am playing it! The silver ball target on my machine is actually a bit worn - so I'll have to see if I can get one from Mayfair as well - thanks so much!

I replaced mine a few years back with NOS. Guess what ....its worn again ! Almost not worrying about I think

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

I replaced mine a few years back with NOS. Guess what ....its worn again ! Almost not worrying about I think

Hmm, maybe you're right, especially if it isn't that cheap (don't know the price)...chrome plastic really is the worst haha.

#92 3 years ago

Mayfair no longer has the targets. I just emailed to buy one.

#93 3 years ago
Quoted from MauriceSTYS:

There's also a bonus which is called "Race to Wizard" or something, for reaching Wizard Mode on the first ball.

You are correct! However, it looks like it is only granted if you get to Pinball Wizard without ever starting Multiball. It is worth 20 Million.

I'll update my original post with this info.

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

You are correct! However, it looks like it is only granted if you get to Pinball Wizard without ever starting Multiball. It is worth 20 Million.
I'll update my original post with this info.

Awesome. 13 years of owning and playing Tommy and I didn't know about this award until this week. Not surprising ... I doubt very very few players have ever reached Wizard and not started multiball !

#95 3 years ago

ChadH,

Are there any unused callouts or DMD images?

Also, are the EXTRA BALL and SPECIAL actually possible in the Mystery awards? I have never seen either after 1500 plays on mine.
From the rules page these are the mystery awards ps
Max Bonus X: Set the end-of-ball bonus multiplier to 7x.
Max Skill Shot: Raise the value of all subsequent skill shots to 50M.
Double Scoring: Scoring is doubled for next 20 seconds; however you cannot start Tommy multiball nor start a UJ, so what's the point?
Super Pops: Pop bumpers are worth 1M a hit for rest of ball.
Million Spinners: Set spinners to maximum 1M per spin for rest of ball.
Silver Ball Lit: The silver ball is lit for 20M, same as completing 2 hits of each silver ball target.
Extra Ball: ?
Special Lit: ?

It might be interesting to force the plane in the video mode to the top so you don't get an automatic 13 million for watching it on autopilot!

#96 3 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Awesome. 13 years of owning and playing Tommy and I didn't know about this award until this week. Not surprising ... I doubt very very few players have ever reached Wizard and not started multiball !

+1, i didn't new about that "Race To Wizard" !
Great news (but only 20M), i'll have to try it. it will be very very hard
But to be precise ChadH, is it only available on ball 1 ?

#97 3 years ago
Quoted from julien42:

+1, i didn't new about that "Race To Wizard" !
Great news (but only 20M), i'll have to try it. it will be very very hard
But to be precise ChadH, is it only available on ball 1 ?

I think it is possible on any ball... as long as Multiball has never been started. If someone can confirm, that would be great.

Are there any unused callouts or DMD images?

Yes. Not much though. Couple of voice calls... "Go to the mirror" and "Amazing journey".

Also, are the EXTRA BALL and SPECIAL actually possible in the Mystery awards? I have never seen either after 1500 plays on mine.

Extra Ball is hard to get. I don't think you'll ever see it on the first round of Mystery Awards. I believe it is only possible starting on the second round and even then the chances of collecting it are low.

Special is very, very hard to get. I don't think you will ever see it on the first four rounds of Mystery Award... and then if/when you do see it on the 5th round, the chances of collecting it are even lower than that of Extra Ball.

#98 3 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

I have always wondered about this extra hole. It feeds into the subway but there are no switches to register a ball entering. Its tucked away so you cant aim for it , and its position makes it extremely unlikely for a ball to ever fall in it ...I think I have had it happen once maybe. A leftover from the proto ? An idea that was abandoned ? Who knows.
Capture 1.PNG

In the time I've been able to play since getting my game home I've actually managed to ricochet the ball into this extra hole a couple times. Just an extra path into the VUK hole, I guess.

#99 3 years ago

Am I missing a part in the attached picture? From checking other owners' pictures it looks like it might be some sort of hex spacer on that screw? If I am missing it, any info on what it is (size, height, etc.) would be awesome. Thanks!
TommyMissing.jpg

#100 3 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

Am I missing a part in the attached picture? From checking other owners' pictures it looks like it might be some sort of hex spacer on that screw? If I am missing it, any info on what it is (size, height, etc.) would be awesome. Thanks!
TommyMissing.jpg

Looks like you're missing a hex spacer. The manual mentions several of them on page 42 but does not depict which one is which. It lists Tapped 6-32 in 1/2", 1", 1 1/2", and 2". Mine is 11/2". Here is a pic.

2015-11-19 Tommy.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 994 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 20.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside