(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 965 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Kerry_Richard
  • Topic is favorited by 66 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 246 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3135 (resized).jpg
IMG_3136 (resized).jpg
Tommy (resized).jpg
IMGP4408 (resized).JPG
1 (resized).JPG
11200769_881764665231364_3844992065618555698_n (resized).jpg
ECF6089B-E32C-4408-83D6-485C4FDB5300 (resized).png
Capture (resized).JPG
Silverball Target IMG_4050 (resized).JPG
20190103_130200 (resized).jpg
111 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
2017-09-02 11.41.59 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

There are 965 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 20.
#901 36 days ago

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Playfield-for-pinball-Tommy-The-Who-Data-East/401737893756?hash=item5d8971c77c:g:pTMAAOSwpclcm4xx

Don't see these often. Proto playfield with the different UJ design, different Acid Queen inserts.

This one is rough though, missing inserts !

Capture (resized).JPG
1 week later
#902 29 days ago

Anyone bringing a Tommy to Allentown for sale? Where can you get the Union Jack decals for the body? Thanks.

#903 29 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Anyone bringing a Tommy to Allentown for sale? Where can you get the Union Jack decals for the body? Thanks.

If you (or anyone) discovers where to get the Union Jack decals, please let us know!

#904 29 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

If you (or anyone) discovers where to get the Union Jack decals, please let us know!

is that the red white and blue ones?

#905 28 days ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

British flag.

ECF6089B-E32C-4408-83D6-485C4FDB5300 (resized).png
#906 28 days ago

I am looking to join the club. If anyone has a collector quality HUO Tommy with zero flipper wear and clean playfield-please let me know. I have games for trade as well, any leads appreciated.

#907 28 days ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Yes. The ones pictured in post #905. I’d love a set.

#908 28 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

British flag.
[quoted image]

So, where did both the decal set and alternate translite come from? Are they still available? Inquiring minds want to know

#909 28 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

So, where did both the decal set and alternate translite come from? Are they still available? Inquiring minds want to know

That machine was restored by a friend of mine for a Who fanatic - that is it at his place a few years ago.

I think the translite was a one off custom made by someone. I'll ask him for the details on the cab decals - I believe they were designed by the customer and custom printed by someone.

Heres another pic I had, it wasn't quite complete at this point - posted on my Tommy Facebook page a few years ago https://www.facebook.com/The-Whos-Tommy-Pinball-Wizard-Pinball-Machine-Data-East-1994-147739828633855/
11200769_881764665231364_3844992065618555698_n (resized).jpg

#910 28 days ago

Oh and some video of the custom Tommy from Matts channel

#911 28 days ago

Hi everybody. I also have a Tommy since a week.
Nice project, will clean it, add new plastics, new rubbers, new roms and the colordmd.

There is one problem.
I cannot manually plunge the ball. The shooter makes the ball go in the air!
I think the basis of the shooterlane is too much worm out,
Can anyone place a picture of the beginning of the shooterlane for me to compare?

Cannot think of a solution so far.
The autoplunger works fine, balks don’t go up in the air...

#912 27 days ago
Quoted from Ive:

That machine was restored by a friend of mine for a Who fanatic - that is it at his place a few years ago.
I think the translite was a one off custom made by someone. I'll ask him for the details on the cab decals - I believe they were designed by the customer and custom printed by someone.

Any leads would be much appreciated. I don't even own a Tommy yet but most I have seen really need the decals redone.

#913 27 days ago
Quoted from Ive:

Heres another pic I had, it wasn't quite complete at this point - posted on my Tommy Facebook page a few years ago https://www.facebook.com/The-Whos-Tommy-Pinball-Wizard-Pinball-Machine-Data-East-1994-147739828633855/
[quoted image]

Thanks so much for checking. I’ll be curious to hear about its origins. I did run across a company that said the can print custom decals, but just discovered it the other day, so don’t know a lot.

Thanks again

#914 27 days ago

I believe the there were only 2 of those alternate translights made. Union Jack decals are unobtainable; however ... you can make your own stencils and do the work. I finally got my hands on a decent
Tommy and will be going the Union Jack cabinet after I complete another project.

#915 26 days ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

I believe the there were only 2 of those alternate translights made. Union Jack decals are unobtainable; however ... you can make your own stencils and do the work. I finally got my hands on a decent
Tommy and will be going the Union Jack cabinet after I complete another project.

was thinking I just saw those decals being made somewhere like 2 weeks ago. i'll have to do some searching.

#916 26 days ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

i'll have to do some searching.

If you find them, please let me know!!

#917 26 days ago

Here you go guy's.......

http://www.pinballrr.com/en/work/142/Vinyl/The_Who's_Tommy_-_Mod#servei

I Have done 2 Tommy's using those decals

1 (resized).JPG

IMGP4408 (resized).JPG

#918 26 days ago

Yes!! Amazing! Those are the ones you did? I see those machines all the time when searching for this topic. Is the vinyl for sale on that site?

#919 26 days ago

Yes, I did both of those. The one with the black armour also had a NOS playfield swap as well! The guy on that web site did the decals as a special for the 1st one (chrome) I did but now sells them.

I actually did a video on doing the first one, apologies for the quality and the sound of my voice

#920 26 days ago

Thank you for sharing! Glad to put a name to those machines! I’ll reach out to him to see if he is still selling!!

#921 22 days ago

knew I just saw them somewhere, good find.

#922 22 days ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

Here you go guy's.......
http://www.pinballrr.com/en/work/142/Vinyl/The_Who's_Tommy_-_Mod#servei
I Have done 2 Tommy's using those decals
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

stern siderails? any modifications needed to substitute these?

#923 22 days ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

stern siderails? any modifications needed to substitute these?

I have an NOS set of straight Stern rails that look like the stock Tommy rails [no flipper area protection]. The only difference for me is that they screw in at several points throughout the rail rather than just at both ends.
I was going to swap out my old rails, which are a bit battle-worn, for the new ones, but so far I have not felt comfortable yanking the stock ones off because they are adhered to the cabinet with tape or glue. Tried tapping in a putty knife, but these babies are welded on. So, something to check and contemplate as you think about switching.
Love to hear if others have seen this and how they overcame this obstacle without trashing the cabinet.

#924 21 days ago

Have you tried a heat gun or hair dryer to warm them up and soften the adhesive?

#925 21 days ago

Didn’t someone recently post of picture of an alternate backglass that featured the band members in the art too?

#926 21 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

post of picture of an alternate backglass that featured the band members in the art too?

See post 917. I reached out to the seller of those and never heard back ... still trying!

#927 21 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Didn’t someone recently post of picture of an alternate backglass that featured the band members in the art too?

Think you are thinking of:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tommy-alternate-backglass

Tommy (resized).jpg
#928 21 days ago

Yeah - that’s the one I saw. I think it would look great on that Union Jack machine.

#929 21 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Yeah - that’s the one I saw. I think it would look great on that Union Jack machine.

Indeed it would. I heard that the person selling this glass didn’t, so it might still be available.
I have not had luck reaching the guys who did the Union Jack decals. I’m going to reach out to a pinball vendor who advertises that the can make any decal set you can provide art for. If I figure that out, I’ll post on it

#930 21 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

Indeed it would. I heard that the person selling this glass didn’t, so it might still be available.
I have not had luck reaching the guys who did the Union Jack decals. I’m going to reach out to a pinball vendor who advertises that the can make any decal set you can provide art for. If I figure that out, I’ll post on it

Please do, that art is fantastic

#931 21 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

I have not had luck reaching the guys who did the Union Jack decals

I didn’t either; good luck and please let us know what you find out

#932 20 days ago

Yep. That is hands down THE best Tommy backglass design. I wish someone would make these !

#933 19 days ago

If anyone is looking - CPR has Tommy plastics listed now [I just ordered mine]. Also, on ebay there is someone selling an NOS set for $308 [OBO] at:

ebay.com link » Tommy Pinball Machine Original Nos Complete Plastic Set Of 33 Items Data East

And I've emailed the folks at https://virtuapin.net/ to check on the viability of making the Union Jack cabinet decals.

Beginning to think I have too much spare time on my hands - which I do not ...

#934 19 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

If anyone is looking - CPR has Tommy plastics listed now [I just ordered mine]. Also, on ebay there is someone selling an NOS set for $308 [OBO] at:
ebay.com link » Tommy Pinball Machine Original Nos Complete Plastic Set Of 33 Items Data East
And I've emailed the folks at https://virtuapin.net/ to check on the viability of making the Union Jack cabinet decals.
Beginning to think I have too much spare time on my hands - which I do not ...

I noticed the set comes with an extra plastic that goes above the VUK. If you or anyone else wants to sell this plastic, I will pay a hefty chunk of your plastic set cost for it!

#935 19 days ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

an extra plastic that goes above the VUK

Which piece are you looking for?

#936 19 days ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I noticed the set comes with an extra plastic that goes above the VUK. If you or anyone else wants to sell this plastic, I will pay a hefty chunk of your plastic set cost for it!

Sorry, already spoken for by a buddy of mine. I will only have an extra one of pumpkin-yellow reproductions that’s been floating around.

#937 18 days ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Which piece are you looking for?

It's the kinda U-shaped piece that fits right about the VUK. It's busted on most games. Mine has been repaired with epoxy.

#938 18 days ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

It's the kinda U-shaped piece that fits right about the VUK. It's busted on most games. Mine has been repaired with epoxy.

Well, if you have no takers on your offer to buy the second plastic from a CPR set, you can have my off-color one for free once the new set arrives. Honestly, it's not too noticeable - unless you notice it... and even then, it's okay. You are welcome to it and it's better than epoxy.

#939 18 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

Well, if you have no takers on your offer to buy the second plastic from a CPR set, you can have my off-color one for free once the new set arrives. Honestly, it's not too noticeable - unless you notice it... and even then, it's okay. You are welcome to it and it's better than epoxy.

PM sent!

#940 18 days ago

I have a set coming and the one on my machine is decent (from what I can tell .. new machine to me and it was supposed solid, but here I am ordering new plastics) .. if mine is good, I can let you have mine once I get the set in.

#941 18 days ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Those are widely available in Europe

http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/the-who-s-tommy-pinball-wizard/3847/plastic-for-the-who-s-tommy-pinball-wizard?c=2085

I replaced mine years ago, and then used the Pinbits plastics protector set for insurance against future damage

#942 17 days ago
Quoted from Ive:

Those are widely available in Europe

They have quite a bit, however they will not ship to the CONTUS; there needs to be a middle man to take the delivery from them and ship it to CONTUS.

#943 11 days ago

Back in the club as of Saturday.

Anyone have any tips for getting a better serve to the upper left flipper? Always seems to be hopping over the flipper. Really tough to make the ramp with any regularity.

#944 11 days ago

NOS topper on ebay...

#945 11 days ago
Quoted from lordloss:

NOS topper on ebay...

The one that’s already over $200?

#946 11 days ago
Quoted from mavantix:

The one that’s already over $200?

$255 with 5 days and 22 hours left and 25 bids. I can never understand why people get in a bidding war that far out. Baffles me.
And wow! I bet this goes well over $300. Guess I’m just going to stick with my giant silver Christmas ball for now and get a color DMD instead. I guess if you have the cash and want a stock and perfect game, you have to pay to play. Good luck to the bidders.

#947 10 days ago

I don't get the NOS silver ball value. I used a mirror garden ball that was just slightly larger (I wanted to see the effect a little better) that cost all of $20 online and I don't think a person on the planet would know it's not OEM. Idiotic to spend that kind of cash when you could get a color DMD, etc. instead that would enhance the experience of the game so much more.

#948 10 days ago
Quoted from robotron911:

I don't get the NOS silver ball value. I used a mirror garden
ball that was just slightly larger (I wanted to see the effect a
little better) that cost all of $20 online and I don't think a
person on the planet would know it's not OEM. Idiotic to spend that
kind of cash when you could get a color DMD, etc. instead that
would enhance the experience of the game so much more.

yup garden globe is the way to go, and you can get it bigger than original.

#949 9 days ago

Love the Color LED in this game. No modifications to speaker panel and it sits nice!

#950 9 days ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Love the Color LED in this game. No modifications to speaker panel and it sits nice!

So nice - that’s next on my list.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 4,800.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 50.00
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 965 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 20.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside