The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 867 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • Topic is favorited by 62 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 237 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190103_130200 (resized).jpg
111 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
2017-09-02 11.41.59 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
DSC_0187 (resized).JPG
20180901_175407 (resized).jpg
20180901_175415 (resized).jpg
6D65C7F0-938E-415F-A339-C6CADF60F469 (resized).jpeg
Tommy calculator 011 (resized).JPG
Tommy calculator 008 (resized).JPG
Tommy calculator 006 (resized).JPG
Tommy calculator 005 (resized).JPG

There are 867 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 18.
#851 65 days ago

Has anyone here installed a GIzmo (herg's little LED GI smoother) in their Tommy? I've had OCD-controlled LEDs under my inserts for a while and recently tried switching to LEDs in my GI. The extra brightness is nice, but I'm not a fan of how harsh it makes the GI blinking. Caker137's EnerGI Maestro board is currently waitlisted, so I was wondering if the GIzmo might be a good (and cheaper) solution if I just want basic smoothing. There's a note that the fit is very tight on Tommy, so I'm curious about that as well. If anyone has any insights, thanks!

#852 62 days ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

I used a 4" square electrical box cover inside the head. I drilled a small hole in the center of the 4" square plate. Next, I tapped an 8/32 hole into my garden ball of choice. Then use a long 8/32 screw to go through the 4" square plate up into the ball and tighten. 15 minute job.

I am not sure I can picture what you did, but it does sound interesting.

If I understand what you did, you tapped into the 'ball' and it is thick enough to put threads into?

I have not studied the ball I purchased enough to know what it is made of, much less how thick it is. I was concerned that if I managed to drill into a round ball (I keep imagining the bit sliding around), that it might crack into pieces. And if I was successful, I might have to use a toggle bolt to get a secure hold of it.

#853 62 days ago
Quoted from Number41:

Has anyone here installed a GIzmo (herg's little LED GI smoother) in their Tommy? I've had OCD-controlled LEDs under my inserts for a while and recently tried switching to LEDs in my GI. The extra brightness is nice, but I'm not a fan of how harsh it makes the GI blinking. Caker137's EnerGI Maestro board is currently waitlisted, so I was wondering if the GIzmo might be a good (and cheaper) solution if I just want basic smoothing. There's a note that the fit is very tight on Tommy, so I'm curious about that as well. If anyone has any insights, thanks!

That looks like a nice fix. Far more sophisticated than what I was thinking of.

I was toying with the thought of doing a cheap experiment and hooking up a low power bridge, followed by an electrolytic cap or some sort of R/C filter. I figured converting the square wave output of that relay into something more of a DC sine wave might help? Not sure how the LEDs would respond.

#854 56 days ago

ColorDMD ROM update announced

Capture (resized).JPG
#855 55 days ago

Hi there,

I've had a DE Tommy for about 10 years now, but unfortunately I've had it in storage the last five years. I've now got a bit of time and motivation to start cleaning it up and fixing problems with it.

One of the problems I've got is with the mirror motor. I am assuming it is the motor, as the mirror no longer lifts or drops. The motor just makes a whirring noise. I lifted up the playfield and checked what is happening inside the mirror cradle. I can see the motor starts to move a notch horizontally, but then stops. Maybe the gears have been stripped? I can lift the mirror up with a screw driver and force it back down, which allows me to check the sensor diagnostic passes.

Is there a way to determine if it is the motor before I go ahead and order a new one, and do we just assume it is? Is it a common problem?

Cheers,
David

#856 51 days ago

Just joined the club! Need to do a shop job, and my silverball target is pretty much an airball launcher... any fixes for that? Plastic shield or something? It's also pretty warn, has anyone tried re-chroming the plastic part?

#857 51 days ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Just joined the club! Need to do a shop job, and my silverball target is pretty much an airball launcher... any fixes for that? Plastic shield or something? It's also pretty warn, has anyone tried re-chroming the plastic part?

Check the target isn't bent backwards - that will increase airballs.

I replaced mine with an almost new one - it didn't last long before it was showing wear too. I wondered about a small strip of mylar on it ? Not sure if thats practical. Decided to just live with the wear now

#858 46 days ago
Quoted from mavantix:

As Ive said, check to make sure it isn't bent backwards, also check to make sure everything underneath is tight and your foam is in good shape. These should help quite a bit. Enjoy the game, it's amazing!

#859 46 days ago
Quoted from mavantix:

This is my fix for any stand up on any game. Rip off the shitty foam backing and super glue a piece of flipper rubber in place of the foam. It's amazing the result. Air balls gone. And like previous poster said, make sure target backing is straight.

This is one of the best things I've learned in pinball.

#860 43 days ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

This is my fix for any stand up on any game. Rip off the shitty foam backing and super glue a piece of flipper rubber in place of the foam. It's amazing the result. Air balls gone. And like previous poster said, make sure target backing is straight.
This is one of the best things I've learned in pinball.

I will have to look into your suggestion.

I used to get airballs from the other targets. I purchased the DE target anti-loft fix from Pinball Life and it fixed up those. But the silverball, being hollow, that did not work. I made sure that the bracket is not bent.

It is hard to tell, but I think that the pinball hits just above the middle of the silverball target and it, being round, is what is causing the airball. At least that is my latest theory.

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-anti-loft-switch-back-plate.html

2 weeks later
#861 26 days ago

Tommy blinder board question. I have non functional blinders. I want to make certain before I get a replacement board that it will fix things. I verified voltage and ground coking into board. Swapped servos with a model airplane one. And verified the regulated is working. Replaced the 555 timer. I get a jitter on the servo and it moves a tad when I move the adjustment pots.
Has anyone been here. Has a board fixed it or could there be something else wrong to check before I take the plunge.
Thanks.

#862 25 days ago

Check R2 R5 these pots control the end points of servo travel.

#863 25 days ago

Listed in Market Place the replacement servo/Arm assembly I make for Tommy.

111 (resized).jpg
#864 25 days ago

thanks, i am still concerned its a signal from the MPU, but i found this thread, and after bypassing U4 i too found the same results. IF it works is there any reason to replace the board? I tested with a loose servo and now i get movement, it seems to be little more than 90 degrees of rotation. original servo does work as well as a rewired future servo.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?p=3807734

1 week later
#865 17 days ago

Dreams do come true, nos tommy topper

20190103_130200 (resized).jpg
#866 13 days ago
Quoted from lordloss:

[quoted image]

how where when?

#867 9 days ago
Quoted from lordloss:

[quoted image]

whats diameter of that topper?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Boards
PinSound
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
3,775 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Purcellville, VA
$ 24.95
There are 867 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 18.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside