(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png
There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 46.
#801 5 years ago

I no longer have a Tommy in my collection but I know these are always worn. NOS chrome ball target on eBay. Not mine just a heads up.
ebay.com link: NOS Data East The Whos TOMMY pinball chrome ball stand up Target

#802 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

That's bizarre. It's supposed to be a manual/auto plunger setup. I can't imagine why anyone would have changed it. Without the manual plunger, there is no way to go for the skill shot.

What I like about Tommy is the choice of shots from the plunge.

1.Parachute Hole skill shot.
2.Plunge to top flipper for right side ramp skill shot.
3.Plunge to top flipper to shoot the mirror.
4.Soft plunge onto the playfield to get control and shoot mode start.

#803 5 years ago

Someone parted out a tommy. I thought the group might be interested.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-parted-out-tommy-parts

John

#804 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Someone parted out a tommy. I thought the group might be interested.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-parted-out-tommy-parts
John

Thanks for the bump and I posted it here in the Tommy club first 22 days ago to give the club first Dibs
Did not get anymore request here a week ago so I put it in an ad for the remaining DE parts yesterday and sold a few more pieces
So in that ad look to see if you need anything and I listed starting pricing
Thanks again

#805 5 years ago

I'm looking to purchase a Tommy within 200 miles of Richmond VA

2 weeks later
#806 5 years ago

Anyone installed mirror blades in their Tommy? Any issues with clearance on the playfield sides? I feel like my cabinet might be warped and I don't want to install them only for them to get scratched up right away.

#807 5 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Anyone installed mirror blades in their Tommy? Any issues with clearance on the playfield sides? I feel like my cabinet might be warped and I don't want to install them only for them to get scratched up right away.

I installed mirror blades on my Tommy about a year ago. No issues,whatsoever. Looks great with all the gi & vuk going. Mine had plenty of clearance, If you are in question, test it with something else. Pin blades at tilt graphics are always an option.

#808 5 years ago

Is there a reason why with Tommy, the pinballs seem to go airborne more than other machines?

Thanks!

#809 5 years ago

Hi Tommy fans and owners,

I have just had new decals put on my machine, sadly it is now missing the decal on the top of the back-box that reflects into the mirror.

Does anyone have a high resolution scan of the writing so I can get a sticker made up.
Or I guess a photo will do.

Thanks.

1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG
#810 5 years ago

Julian, I have a scan of this and a sticker printed (but it is in white). Working away at the moment but I can email it to you when I get back.

#811 5 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Hi Tommy fans and owners,
I have just had new decals put on my machine, sadly it is now missing the decal on the top of the back-box that reflects into the mirror.
Does anyone have a high resolution scan of the writing so I can get a sticker made up.
Or I guess a photo will do.
Thanks.

That looks great!

#812 5 years ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

Is there a reason why with Tommy, the pinballs seem to go airborne more than other machines?
Thanks!

Can't say I get more on mine than any other game. Does it happen from the standup targets ? Check they have the foam pads still intact and check they aren't bent backwards.

#813 5 years ago

Looks like you might have trouble fitting the ball topper with your existing head height.

#814 5 years ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

Thanks!

I used run into this a bit as well compared to my other two machines. After changing the strip behind the targets AND the silver ball I have less airballs than prior. Still have several, but not as much as before. Hope this helps.

#815 5 years ago

Lasr year for my birthday my wife order these Flipper Bat covers and a Shooter Rod.

tommy 005 (resized).JPGtommy 005 (resized).JPGtommy 006 (resized).JPGtommy 006 (resized).JPGtommy 007 (resized).JPGtommy 007 (resized).JPG
#816 5 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Lasr year for my birthday my wife order these Flipper Bat covers and a Shooter Rod.

Who sells the shooter rod?

#817 5 years ago

My wife is checking on it... will post when I know.
not the knob was carved and painted, but the drilled hole was on an angle to the carving.

#818 5 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Who sells the shooter rod?

The wife found a seller on Etsy. spinnyvinny

makes and sell pinball mods/trinkets

#819 5 years ago

just played TOMMY on my pincab (with unofficial ROM installed), and see something i've never seen before (not listed in the easter eggs, and didnt read the full topic here, than surelly i'm not the 1st) : Tommy wanted to break the mirror, and the man on his right (his father ?) shoot him with a gun...

#820 5 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

just played TOMMY on my pincab (with unofficial ROM installed), and see something i've never seen before (not listed in the easter eggs, and didnt read the full topic here, than surelly i'm not the 1st) : Tommy wanted to break the mirror, and the man on his right (his father ?) shoot him with a gun...

It's part of the story - Tommy's father (Captain Walker) goes missing during the war and is presumed dead. He finds Mrs. Walker with another man when he returns home and he shoots the other lover in self-defense. Tommy sees all of it happen in the mirror, leading to his traumatized state.

#821 5 years ago

tanx for the info... i'm less stupid now

#822 5 years ago

Replacement Servo and Arm Assembly for Tommy Blinders for sale in the market place.

servo (resized).jpgservo (resized).jpg
#823 5 years ago

Anyone needing or wanting a CPR playfield for their Tommy should go to their site. Go to the preorder section,boutique zone. They are measuring interest in making them. You simply need to vote yes, give email, no commitments. If there is enough of us, a new CPR playfield. Check it out.

#824 5 years ago

Looking for the CAM Assembly (515-5942-00) if anyone knows where I can get one???

#825 5 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

Anyone needing or wanting a CPR playfield for their Tommy should go to their site. Go to the preorder section,boutique zone. They are measuring interest in making them. You simply need to vote yes, give email, no commitments. If there is enough of us, a new CPR playfield. Check it out.

Be great if this happens - though to be honest most Tommy playfields I have seen seem to have held up pretty well.

#826 5 years ago

Has Anyone ever seen a Tommy Calculator?

Reported to be a promotional Item for the tourof The Who's Tommy, original cast (1992 Broadway Revival)

The story behind it is that about 100 were made for Data East employees to be given out in 1994 or 1995.

Based on the FIREBALL calculator the Had Flipper Pool on the box and the sides of the calculator.

Tommy calculator 003 (resized).JPGTommy calculator 003 (resized).JPGTommy calculator 005 (resized).JPGTommy calculator 005 (resized).JPGTommy calculator 006 (resized).JPGTommy calculator 006 (resized).JPGTommy calculator 008 (resized).JPGTommy calculator 008 (resized).JPGTommy calculator 011 (resized).JPGTommy calculator 011 (resized).JPG
#827 5 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Has Anyone ever seen a Tommy Calculator?
Reported to be a promotional Item for the tourof The Who's Tommy, original cast (1992 Broadway Revival)
The story behind it is that about 100 were made for Data East employees to be given out in 1994 or 1995.
Based on the FIREBALL calculator the Had Flipper Pool on the box and the sides of the calculator.

I have seen at least one pop up on Ebay over the years. Crazy price iirc otherwise I would have been tempted

3 weeks later
#828 5 years ago

Cleaning up a Tommy game and found this piece in the bottom. Anyone know what it’s for or where it goes?

6D65C7F0-938E-415F-A339-C6CADF60F469 (resized).jpeg6D65C7F0-938E-415F-A339-C6CADF60F469 (resized).jpeg

UPDATE: Found it to be the bracket for the bank of spotlights on the left side.

3 weeks later
#829 5 years ago

I put new decals on Tommy and getting ready to put back together. I didn't get good pictures of the connectors from and by the coin door. Can anyone snap pictures of what these plug in to for me?

20180901_175407 (resized).jpg20180901_175407 (resized).jpg20180901_175415 (resized).jpg20180901_175415 (resized).jpg
#830 5 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

I put new decals on Tommy and getting ready to put back together. I didn't get good pictures of the connectors from and by the coin door. Can anyone snap pictures of what these plug in to for me?
[quoted image][quoted image]

I looked in mine, I have the same 2, not connected to anything. I bet they go to a bill or change accepter in the coin door. Mine totally works without them.

#831 5 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

I looked in mine, I have the same 2, not connected to anything. I bet they go to a bill or change accepter in the coin door. Mine totally works without them.

Mine was the same as well

#832 5 years ago

Thanks guys... So there is 1 connector in first pic and 2 in the second pic. Sounds like non of these are hooked up on your machines? Was just confused since you guys said 2 connectors when there are 3 total. Thanks for taking time to look

#833 5 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Thanks guys... So there is 1 connector in first pic and 2 in the second pic. Sounds like non of these are hooked up on your machines? Was just confused since you guys said 2 connectors when there are 3 total. Thanks for taking time to look

Mine also has 3 connectors,not hooked up,near coindoor. Must be money related, mine works great without them.

1 week later
#834 5 years ago

Hi Guys
Can someone post a pic of the spotlight assembly and the plastic above it. been restoring my Tommy and bits have been
missing everywhere. Cant seem to find a close up anywhere to make one up
Cheers

DSC_0187 (resized).JPGDSC_0187 (resized).JPG
#835 5 years ago

I had the same problem, hope this helps.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#836 5 years ago

More, good luck.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#837 5 years ago
Quoted from topcat2:

Hi Guys
Can someone post a pic of the spotlight assembly and the plastic above it. been restoring my Tommy and bits have been
missing everywhere. Cant seem to find a close up anywhere to make one up
Cheers[quoted image]

If you need a specific picture, let me know. That is a crowded area.

#838 5 years ago

Thanks heaps for that now it makes a lot more sense. Could not work out the fixing on the plastic near the spinner
Cheers Hippy

1 week later
#839 5 years ago

Anyone in the Northeast wanna leave the group for a Metallica premium? Let me know would be willing to work a trade and cash.

Mike

#840 5 years ago

Hello all,

Picked up my first pin ever a few weeks ago and it is a Tommy! Played the game earlier this year and fell in love with it and now it is mine. It is a nice original example with an aftermarket ball topper. There are a few minor bumps and scratches, but otherwise really nice. The play field looks great to my untrained eye, with only some paint chipping around the VUK. There are a few lines were the ball rolls a lots, but it seems to come off with a little cleaning.

In the process of fixing a bunch of small items, I ordered two VUK plastic parts. Both are really nice, but the yellow color is orange. One was from Ebay and the other was from Bay Area Amusements. Neither matches anything on my machine. Does anyone have a source for more accurate units?

Here are some of the mods I put on since purchase:
ColorDMD
Upgraded Props
ROM V5
Replaced all rubber
Replaced the blinder server controller/motor (TNT)
Union Jack flipper overlays
Hole protector set

Future plans:
LEDs
Pinsound
Rebuild VUK relay (takes a few tries every once in a while)

Thank you,
Keith

#841 5 years ago
Quoted from Gohigh54:

Hello all,
Picked up my first pin ever a few weeks ago and it is a Tommy! Played the game earlier this year and fell in love with it and now it is mine. It is a nice original example with an aftermarket ball topper. There are a few minor bumps and scratches, but otherwise really nice. The play field looks great to my untrained eye, with only some paint chipping around the VUK. There are a few lines were the ball rolls a lots, but it seems to come off with a little cleaning.
In the process of fixing a bunch of small items, I ordered two VUK plastic parts. Both are really nice, but the yellow color is orange. One was from Ebay and the other was from Bay Area Amusements. Neither matches anything on my machine. Does anyone have a source for more accurate units?
ColorDMD
Upgraded Props
ROM V5
Replaced all rubber
Hole protector set
Future plans:
LEDs
Pinsound
Thank you,
Keith

Is the part you are looking for the vuk plastic? If so, I looked a long time for mine. It gets broken the most. Yours is yellow, right? By the way, I did the same upgrades to mine, wonderful game. CPR is taking votes right now to see if there is enough of us to reproduce a new playfeild. Sure would be nice.

#842 5 years ago
Quoted from Gohigh54:

Hello all,
ColorDMD
Upgraded Props
ROM V5
Replaced all rubber
Hole protector set
Future plans:
LEDs
Pinsound
Thank you,
Keith

Any good ??

https://www.pinball.co.uk/product/tommy/vuk-plastic-for-tommy/

#843 5 years ago

It looks a little too orange to me... however, "if" mine was badly broken or missing, I'd be very happy with it.

1 week later
#844 5 years ago

I have rebuilt a Tommy, including adding a Cliffy protector to the VUK area.

Now I find that a large portion of my shots that enter into the VUK area bounce back.

I carefully re-centered the protector. I have also added some old foam on the left and back sides to absorb the bounce back. That seems to work for a few shots, then this foam does not seem to compress any more.

I have tried the typical blue pads without help.
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-blue-padsbumpersball-guides.html

Any suggestions?

Pic is a long shot of the area with the cliffy protector installed.

Also, it took me a while to work on the left scoop so that the ball did not drain. It aims to the left flipper now. The scoop also pushes up the playfield plastic a bit. Hitting that scoop from the right flipper is a tough shot. If I do hit it, it does not usually go down the scoop, but bounces back.

Suggestions for that too?

2017-09-02 11.41.59 (resized).jpg2017-09-02 11.41.59 (resized).jpg
#845 5 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I have rebuilt a Tommy, including adding a Cliffy protector to the VUK area.
Now I find that a large portion of my shots that enter into the VUK area bounce back.
I carefully re-centered the protector. I have also added some old foam on the left and back sides to absorb the bounce back. That seems to work for a few shots, then this foam does not seem to compress any more.
I have tried the typical blue pads without help.
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-blue-padsbumpersball-guides.html
Any suggestions?
Pic is a long shot of the area with the cliffy protector installed.
Also, it took me a while to work on the left scoop so that the ball did not drain. It aims to the left flipper now. The scoop also pushes up the playfield plastic a bit. Hitting that scoop from the right flipper is a tough shot. If I do hit it, it does not usually go down the scoop, but bounces back.
Suggestions for that too?
[quoted image]

Oddly I found after fitting the cliffy protector I got LESS rejected shots to the VUK.

Could you try something like these ??

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adhesive-Polyurethane-Bumper-Bumpons-Coaster/dp/B00EY6I49K

I had a friend who used them on a scoop on a game and swears they help.

#846 5 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Oddly I found after fitting the cliffy protector I got LESS rejected shots to the VUK.
Could you try something like these ??
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adhesive-Polyurethane-Bumper-Bumpons-Coaster/dp/B00EY6I49K
I had a friend who used them on a scoop on a game and swears they help.

Thanks for the suggestion. We might have those around the house.

I cannot say that the cliffy protector made it worse as I rebuilt the game without it being played (it would not boot). I did find that I had not quite centered the protector over the hole (or it shifted) and centering helped.

On TAF, I found it much harder to get the ball under the chair.

1 month later
#847 5 years ago

My Tommy is missing the silverball. I got from a garden shop one of the outdoor silver balls. I have not figured out how to mount it on the head, so it does not accidentally fall off.

Any suggestions?

#848 5 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

My Tommy is missing the silverball. I got from a garden shop one of the outdoor silver balls. I have not figured out how to mount it on the head, so it does not accidentally fall off.
Any suggestions?

There is a good video on YouTube on this. Search Tommy pinball topper, sounds easy.

#849 5 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

Any suggestions?

I bought a ball on line, it had a tapped hole. So i bought a 5" round wood plack at Michels. On centerline 1" spade drill 1/4 inch deep, this make a pocket for the ball to rest on, then a thru hole to clear the screw. 2 wood screws to hold it down to the back box. Then Paint it yellow.

#850 5 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

Any suggestions?

I used a 4" square electrical box cover inside the head. I drilled a small hole in the center of the 4" square plate. Next, I tapped an 8/32 hole into my garden ball of choice. Then use a long 8/32 screw to go through the 4" square plate up into the ball and tighten. 15 minute job.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Boards
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/17?hl=milltown and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.