(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png
There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 46.
#551 7 years ago

That was perfect. Thanks.

#552 7 years ago

Can someone confirm this is correct for spinner mounting.
This was ether dissasembled by me over a month ago or by the previous owner a year ago. Trying to put the puzzle back together.
Thanks

IMG_4705 (resized).JPGIMG_4705 (resized).JPG

#553 7 years ago

The original was missing so I added a 10" silver glass ball.

http://www.myevergreenonline.com/p-117292-silver-glass-gazing-ball.aspx?productsku=491345

Drops into the cabinet upper hole just fine but I still have to think of a way to secure it. However, I might be able to get a metal 10" ball for half the price - ~$20.

20170209_134420 (resized).jpg20170209_134420 (resized).jpg
20170209_134307 (resized).jpg20170209_134307 (resized).jpg

#554 7 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

Can someone confirm this is correct for spinner mounting.
This was ether dissasembled by me over a month ago or by the previous owner a year ago. Trying to put the puzzle back together.
Thanks

This is how mine is set up - with the metal supports for the spotlight fixture underneath the spacer. Pretty sure this is how it is from the factory. Right side of the spinner looks like yours except I had to use a slightly higher spacer since the plastic protector raised the left side a bit. Hope that helps!

IMG_9149 (resized).JPGIMG_9149 (resized).JPG

#555 7 years ago

Thanks. That answers two or three questions. Like where that clear peice with the bracket goes.
I have alotnof clear parts I don't know where they go yet. That's what's takes soo to put this together.

#556 7 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

Thanks. That answers two or three questions. Like where that clear peice with the bracket goes.
I have alotnof clear parts I don't know where they go yet. That's what's takes soo to put this together.

I've got you covered! Take a look at my post below. My machine still had all original factory rubber, light bulbs, and plastic placement when I got it so I posted photographs of the factory locations of every clear plastic on the playfield to help folks out here.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/6#post-3052416

I also made a guide of exact factory rubber configuration (slightly different from the manual):

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/8#post-3166167

Should help you solve the puzzle and speed things up a lot! If you have any other questions let me know.

#557 7 years ago

Wow. That's awesome.
Exactly what I need. I can even answer some fastener order questions with those pics. I plan on sorting out all the plastics I have. (Two partial sets) and cleaning everything this week. Should get my parts and assemble the game this coming weekend.

Thanks.

#558 7 years ago

I'm still thinking of putting a blue rubber pad on the back of the acid queen scoop. Should help protect the plastic. Anyone done anything here?

#559 7 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

I'm still thinking of putting a blue rubber pad on the back of the acid queen scoop. Should help protect the plastic. Anyone done anything here?

I don't have a pad in the back of mine, but I do have PinBits plastic protectors under all the plastics to protect them all from underneath, including that VUK one. Some people have put foam or padding in the back of that, but mainly to try and reduce bounce-outs.

#560 7 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

I have a black foam pad on the back of mine and I recommend it.

#561 7 years ago

Thanks.
I decided to use some black foam. Positioned it high to help keep the ball down.
I have all but a few plastics. The one with yellow I think goes behind the vuk shoot but I have no bracket. Then I have the old and new clear rectangle. And the yellow peice.

IMG_4711 (resized).JPGIMG_4711 (resized).JPG

#562 7 years ago
Quoted from Willathrilla:

That was perfect. Thanks.

Nice avatar!

#563 7 years ago

Finally got the new wood rail installed. Original one for reference.

I figured out where the plastics went. All I need is a bracket for the one behind the vuk wireform and a ramp entrance wire.
I'm going to see if pb resource has them.

IMG_4716 (resized).JPGIMG_4716 (resized).JPG

#564 7 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

Finally got the new wood rail installed. Original one for reference.
I figured out where the plastics went. All I need is a bracket for the one behind the vuk wireform and a ramp entrance wire.
I'm going to see if pb resource has them.

You'll probably have to make your own for the ramp entrance wire. That's what I did. I think PBR sells piano wire that you can use to make one. Something like this.

http://www.pinrestore.com/Supplies.html

#565 7 years ago

21776 (resized).jpeg21776 (resized).jpeg

#566 7 years ago

Just because of the theme "mirrored ball" and the topper, I think that mirror blades work best with the theme of this game. I love the skins, but the whole reflective sides just fit better to me.

#567 7 years ago

Waiting for the results! Do you make these yourself?

#568 7 years ago

Just finished restoring one in my shop tonight.

20170218_170525 (resized).jpg20170218_170525 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#569 7 years ago

Looks great, I love those red superband flipper rubbers. I have them too.

#570 7 years ago

I have had my Tommy for a few years and it always made a clickety clackety sound when the backbox flashers lit on and off. I recently swapped out the power supply to test another machine and I put a new rottendog power supply in Tommy and the clickety clackety sound is gone. Another data east power supply bites the dust. I have few of them laying around.

#571 7 years ago
Quoted from rvalkenburg:

Just finished restoring one in my shop tonight.

Have any teardown pics you can share? Need mainly the mirror assembly, but would love a full set

#572 7 years ago

Hello fellow Tommy owners. I wanted to get some advice about an area that my ball gets stuck in every once in a while (see attached picture). It's not a huge deal, but it always seems to happen in multiball and tends to ruin that game. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks

IMG_1677 (resized).JPGIMG_1677 (resized).JPG

#573 7 years ago
Quoted from tomh52722:

Hello fellow Tommy owners. I wanted to get some advice about an area that my ball gets stuck in every once in a while (see attached picture). It's not a huge deal, but it always seems to happen in multiball and tends to ruin that game. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks

Bend the tab holding the plastic away from the wireform a bit?

Edit - Although, looking closer, it seems to be resting right on the wireform that comes out to the mounting screw. Terribly unlucky balancing act.

#574 7 years ago
Quoted from tomh52722:

The factory positioning of that plastic on top of the VUK is actually a little different - you can see it in my post here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/6#post-3052416

I'm not sure if adjusting its position would help prevent balls getting stuck in that spot, though - especially if you're getting a lot of air balls. One of the things I did on my machine was change the backing brackets on the 3 white standup and silver ball targets to modern Stern anti-loft brackets from Pinball Life. This along with new foam has pretty much eliminated all ball hops in my game.

#575 7 years ago

Thanks tunebandit and number41 for responding. I do see the difference in the factory placement of the plastic piece and will move mine in the short term. I also like the idea of the adjustments to prevent air balls and think I will include those in my next order. Thanks again - it is great to have pinsiders that are always around and willing to give advice!

#576 7 years ago

Just a bump for Facebook users. I have a dedicated Tommy page. 'Likes' appreciated

https://www.facebook.com/The-Whos-Tommy-Pinball-Wizard-Pinball-Machine-Data-East-1994-147739828633855/

#577 7 years ago

As much as I hate to say this I need to sell one pin for room and Tommy got the short straw. It has two new green boards from Rotten Dog and is shopped...mostly leds. Prop mod as well. I will update more with pics before I post in the market. I lov this underrated but my loss will be someone's gain.
I'm in Fort Wayne In.

2 weeks later
#578 7 years ago

Here ares some pictures of my "TOMMY" with an alternative backglass. It is a real backglass, not a translite. That, with my pinsound card with the real "WHO" singing makes this pin a long time keeper.

DSC01909 (resized).JPGDSC01909 (resized).JPG

DSC01907 (resized).JPGDSC01907 (resized).JPG

DSC01908 (resized).JPGDSC01908 (resized).JPG

DSC01910 (resized).JPGDSC01910 (resized).JPG

#579 7 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

Here ares some pictures of my "TOMMY" with an alternative backglass. It is a real backglass, not a translite. That, with my pinsound card with the real "WHO" singing makes this pin a long time keeper.

Where did you get that backglass? That's fantastic!

#580 7 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Yeah, we definitely need more details on that BG. Looks amazing.

#581 7 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

I would buy one.

#582 7 years ago

Man, I like the top one and the second from the bottom.

chris

#583 7 years ago

WOW - that is awesome

I shall be sharing that on my Tommy FB page

https://www.facebook.com/The-Whos-Tommy-Pinball-Wizard-Pinball-Machine-Data-East-1994-147739828633855/

More details please !

#584 7 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Quoted from BeaglePuss:

Yeah, we definitely need more details on that BG. Looks amazing.

Quoted from bob_e:

I would buy one.

Quoted from Ive:

WOW - that is awesome
I shall be sharing that on my Tommy FB page
More details please !

Early last year I was on a website from Europe and saw this page about this glass. After emailing him about buying one he responded by saying that he had only made 2, yes only 2 , in the entire world. The first one he sold was to a special client who had requested a alternate TOMMY glass and that he was keeping the other as a piece of art but for the right price he would sell it. We agreed to a price and now I own it. Everyones next question, how much did you pay??? Shipping included, I paid him $570. US dollars. If you look closely to the wall behind the pin you can see a picture of myself with Pete Townshend with my backstage pass framed. That was after a "Quadrophenia" concert in New Jersey. Being a 54 year old "WHO" fan still to this day and having that glass in the TOMMY pin with the pinsound card just makes this the best pin ever for me to own.

#585 7 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

That is superb.

#586 7 years ago

Thank you for your reply

#587 7 years ago

Anybody using pinsound? Anyone have alternate file versions to share? I'm going to play with mine. Ability to tweak the sounds and add our own flavor is awesome.

I'll share mine once I sit down and play with it. Faster Who songs probably suit action packed pinball better. Tough to merge, creativity is s great talent of which I'm limited.

#588 7 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

Anybody using pinsound? Anyone have alternate file versions to share? I'm going to play with mine. Ability to tweak the sounds and add our own flavor is awesome.
I'll share mine once I sit down and play with it. Faster Who songs probably suit action packed pinball better. Tough to merge, creativity is s great talent of which I'm limited.

Yes, and I took my version straight from the community board. It is fantastic.

#589 7 years ago

I think i will create a new pinsound mix, live version.
and probably use this one DVD : The.Who.Tommy.Live.with.Special.Guests.1989

Anyone already tried ? or have ideas for the best live records to start from ?

#590 7 years ago

I like the Live at Leads versions but they might blow up the machine.

#591 7 years ago
Quoted from julien42:

Live in Leeds is outstanding.

#592 7 years ago
Quoted from julien42:

Please share when you do. I'll do the same.

#593 7 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

I like the Live at Leads versions but they might blow up the machine.

Got to wire up a shaker motor to the tune "Shaking all over" from Leeds.

Yes. This is a MUST.

#594 7 years ago

What is the right configuration for the wire form ball guide on the inside just past the right spinner?

The spinner bracket has been bent and the wire form doesn't fit in the grey post cut out.

This area always slows the ball down so I assume the spacing should be a tad wider with the wire form guide riding in the post cutout.

Thoughts?

IMG_1276 (resized).JPGIMG_1276 (resized).JPG

IMG_1277 (resized).JPGIMG_1277 (resized).JPG

#595 7 years ago

What is the right configuration for the wire form ball guide on the inside just past the right spinner?
The spinner bracket has been bent and the wire form doesn't fit in the grey post cut out.
This area always slows the ball down so I assume the spacing should be a tad wider with the wire form guide riding in the post cutout.
Thoughts?

The wireguard on my machine looks almost exactly the same. (Not in the grey post, bent slightly towards the orbit and touching the spinner leg)

#596 7 years ago

Thoughts?

Yep, that looks correct. One interesting thing is that my playfield doesn't have a hole to the left to the gray post under the yellow plastic and the wood area under the yellow plastic's hole on mine is painted white. Must have been some variation in playfields!

1 month later
#597 6 years ago

Hello I have a question for the group. Lately, my mirror hasn't been going down all of the way. The multiball light/arrow is on, but you cannot shoot it in the hole between the mirror to start multiball because the mirror is only half way down at that point. I tried running the mirror down test in test mode, but can't figure out how to test it (on the test screen, mirror down is the second options, but I can't figure out how to get past the first option, which is "mirror up"). Any advice would be appreciated.

#598 6 years ago
Quoted from tomh52722:

Hello I have a question for the group. Lately, my mirror hasn't been going down all of the way. The multiball light/arrow is on, but you cannot shoot it in the hole between the mirror to start multiball because the mirror is only half way down at that point. I tried running the mirror down test in test mode, but can't figure out how to test it (on the test screen, mirror down is the second options, but I can't figure out how to get past the first option, which is "mirror up"). Any advice would be appreciated.

To advance to the next part of the test it is either the start button or flipper buttons, I can't remember which. Question: Does it ever hang up in the other direction? In other words, does it ever stop too early on the way up?

Things off the top of my head that could cause this: Switch not reading the position of the mirror correctly. Bad solder joints on the relay that engages the motor. The motor itself. The board that sends the signal to the motor.

#599 6 years ago

One other thought. Could the arm that attaches to the motor just be loose?

#600 6 years ago

Let me get in there again this weekend and check it out. It only does this going down. Thanks for the ideas - I will let you know what I find.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.95
There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.