(Topic ID: 164976)

The White Rose Gameroom/York Show - 2016 Edition

By djreddog

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8ff420fcd5ca00e9b1faaeba5c32719f51d17e00 (resized).jpg
    9d84caed1190dfdc340b72ce3d5bc6763bdfd2eb (resized).jpg
    IMG_8527 (resized).JPG
    16e92a2be009b1026d708fc426724b7523c50ef2 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    tt2016.2 (resized).jpg
    Tuck (resized).jpg
    York Kid (resized).jpg
    ^ADFDE63F0FB7C9C25C905B836E97733D686C40DB6645C9E438^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr (resized).png
    IMG_6701 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6700 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6691 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6690 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6688 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6689 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6687 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 7 years ago

York is a GREAT SHOW and even though it is much smaller than Allentown I actually like it better. Somehow it just seems more laid back or something. Typically outside flea market has about 10 to 15 dealers and inside is full of vendors & freeplay machines. If I remember correctly typically about 200 machines on freeplay (give or take a dozen).

Rich has done a great job with the show but I think it has rained every year since he took it over 3 (or so) years ago. Hopefully this year will be nice a dry both days for a change!

I keep trying to set up either inside or out at the flea market but every year it seems like something else in my life keeps me from being a vendor at York. And sadly this year doesn't look any better for me. I want to at least try to get a few machines into the freeplay area but I guess that is even still up in the air at this point.

1 week later
    #43 7 years ago
    Quoted from dannylite:

I can't wait for the York show this year. Does anyone have any beat up playfields for sale? I struck out last year. I'm making a lit playfield floor so I'm looking for junk not anything that could be used in a machine. Thx

How many are you looking for? Typically I sell all I have to a friend of mine in Western PA and I am suppose to drop a dozen (or so) off to him this coming week but I might be able to have some ready for York. Normally I sell them with inserts removed for $10 each or with inserts in them for $20 each.

If this interest you let me know and I'll see what I can get together for you before the show. Most of the playfields I'll have will be woodrail or EM machines as far as I remember. There might be a couple earlier SS machines but nothing from newer than about 1980 at this point.

#57 7 years ago

For a show to work it takes all type people: a show needs people not bringing machines and paying to enter to cover expenses, it needs vendors to draw people, and also need plenty of machines in the freeplay area (so it needs lots of people to bring machines). From my experience with both York & Allentown the mix always seems about perfect.

Both shows are growing each year, both have plenty of freeplay machines (on the first day) and also seem to have plenty of people paying to get into the show, and from talking to both Rich & Ivan both promoters seem very happy overall.

With that said I think the BIGGEST ISSUE with both shows is not enough machines on Freeplay the second day. I realize people have other obligations, machines sell the first day and leave that night, etc. But to make shows even better it would be great to see full halls both days of the show.

I am going to try to do my part and bring some machines just for Saturday this year and I would encourage others to do the same -- if they can. Nothing will kill a show quicker than being 1/2 empty the second day. Lets help both York & Allentown to continue to grow!

4 weeks later
    #166 7 years ago

I was heavy into Lionel trains about 30 years ago and the TCA (Train Collectors Association) had a HUGE SHOW at York, PA Fairground. Anyone that has been to that show knows what I am talking about! Show used EVERY building at the fairground and you could only rent ONE six foot table per TCA member.

Anyway - my life headed in different directions and I got away from messing with the Lionel stuff about 25 years ago so I don't know what the show is like today but I know it is still pretty big.

Now for the point I want to make about parking lot deals - when the York show was going on people had the idea of doing other shows before the York Show at motel parking lots and stuff. When this started everyone bitched it was going to kill the main show at the fairground but instead the show just kept getting bigger & better. At one point dealing started 4 or 5 days before the "main show" with smaller shows at several motels each day. There was never a shortage of deals or trains. Yes some of the "better stuff" was gone before the main show but plenty of other stuff still ended up at the show.

My point being - parking lot deals will not kill or harm a show as long as enough people bring machines and parts to sell at the main show. One suggestion I have for guys making parking lot deals is to see if they can donate to the show somehow to help the promoters. It cost guys like Ivan (Allentown) and Rich (York) a good bit of time and money to make these shows happen. Yes they make a few bucks running the shows but not enough for the time & effort it takes. So maybe see if they need a hand with anything or walk up and hand them a $10 or $20 bill beyond the admission fee and tell them to use it to make next years show even better. (Knowing both Ivan & Rich pretty well I doubt either would take your money but after all they did provide you with a great meeting place to make a deal so why not say thank you with a little something tossed in their direction.

The most important thing any of us can do is to try to help them have as many machines as possible on the show floor as late as possible the second day. It is kind of discouraging to see half empty halls midway through the second day of any show!

Just my 2 cents on things!

#170 7 years ago
    Quoted from ryandimx:

More importantly let's get that outside flea market going!

The outside flea market has always been a little light on vendors and I really don't understand why? I know - after to talking with Rich - the fairground gets most of the rent money that comes in for outside spaces so Rich can't really do anything about the rent he needs to charge (which isn't all that bad anyway). And the weather has been tough a few of the past years. But I still would think there would be more people set up?

I have been trying to become a member of the group of guys that does set up for about 6 years now but for some reason every year I have had conflicts in my schedule that have kept me from being able to do the York Show. Rich (and his crew) do a great job with the show and I just wish one of these years that I will be able to help add to the vendor count but it isn't going to happen again this year.

My plans for this year had included bringing a bunch of machines for just Saturday to help fill the hall Saturday and also taking a space outside. As luck would have it my oldest son decided to buy a house in North Jersey and guess what weekend he has to move! So dad needs to be in NJ from Wednesday or Thursday until we are finished moving him and he needs to be out of his rental by Oct 1st. GREAT TIMING!

#171 7 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

We actually had about 30 more games in free play this year. We also had 110 games in free play at 10pm on Saturday night. I would not say we were hurting for games. All the shows on the east coast are well supported by collectors. York is a great show! It was nice seeing both Allantown and York promotors at Pintastic this year.

Pintastic has all the right stuff to make it one of the great shows here in the northeast but I think it is going to take some time for that show to be as good as it could (or should) be. I have not had a chance to attend yet but my buddies tell me they have not had a lot of luck selling machines (they did OK but not great) and outside flea market needs more vendors but otherwise it is a great show. I think part of the problem is timing being so close to the Allentown Show but there are only so many months in a year.

I am glad we now have another good show here in the northeast but I think Pintastic will just keep getting better with time. I don't know the promoter personally but I know he and his crew have worked their asses off making the show what it is in only two years. All I can say for now to everyone who is involved with any of these three shows is keep up the good work!

#173 7 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

I am wondering if they have any of the t shirts with the girl sitting on the flipper in large. I would love to order one. Please pm me

Best bet is to go to the Web Site and email Rich directly. I doubt he will spend much - if any - time reading through post this month. It takes a ton of work to put a show together and as far as I know Rich does most of it himself. Not to say he doesn't get a lot of help from volunteers but as far as running things and making sure everything is taken care of I think that falls mostly on him.

3 weeks later
    #374 7 years ago

I am really bummed out about the show this year. I'll be busy helping my oldest son (who lives in NJ) move into his first house all weekend. I just got word last night that we will be making the move Friday the 30th and Saturday the 1st for sure. Small stuff in my van all day Friday and rental truck Saturday with a couple of his friends for furniture. So it is confirmed now - no York Show for me this year unless I run over Thursday and say hello to a few friends & to see Rich.

Sometimes life can really suck but family has to come first! The crazy thing is this is the 3rd year in a row family issues have kept me from being at York. Already planning for Allentown in the Spring & York next Fall. Such is life --- I guess!

#380 7 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Dont forget about Pintastic next summer!

I was just up at Sturbridge this past week camping and very much enjoy the area. Will likely try to be a vendor at Pintastic Flea Market in 2017 if I can find the time. If I can't find time to set up we really want to try to make the show for the first time. A couple of my buddies have been to both Pintastic Shows and love your show. Don't worry you are on my list of 2017!

#475 7 years ago
    Quoted from weaverj:

enter main entrance on market street?

I don't think the street in front of the Main Entrance is Market Street but the best entrance to get to the show is the Stadium or Grandstand Entrance . If you are coming in on Rt 30 it is the entrance on the road you use from Rt 30 to the fairground. It has been about 10 years since I lived in the area and the name of that road escapes me right now.

When you go through the gate grandstand is on your right and the show is in one of the 3 buildings to you left. It is a little bit of a drive to the buildings from the gate (maybe 2/10 of a mile) but you will see all the vehicles parked by the buildings from the gate.

#521 7 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Any idea why the show is Friday/Saturday instead of Saturday/Sunday? Is it blue laws?
    Would love to be able to do both days of the show, and be there for the start before pins start leaving, without taking a vacation day.

In the past both Allentown and York were 3 day shows and over time Sunday attendance and number of machines on the freeplay floor got so bad they both cut back to two day shows. My fear is the same thing is likely to happen with Saturday and we will be down to a one day show (just Friday) in people don't start keeping games at the shows for Saturday also.

I realize most of us are limited as far as number of machines we can transport and also limited to number of machines we can actually bring to a show but unless something changes I can see Saturday going away in the near future.

I was planning on doing my part to help and had plans to bring 6 or 8 machines for freeplay JUST for Saturday this year (I was going to take my first load Friday and add additional machines for Saturday) but my son decided to buy a house and is moving this weekend so I can't make the show at all. But next year "good lord willing" I will have a group of machines ready for just Saturday for both shows. I think it is very important for all of us that love these shows to do everything we can to help promoters grow the number of freeplay machines Saturday to make Saturday more attractive for the general public.

When running something like one of these shows it comes down to simple math. If attendance drops to a point that something isn't worth doing the promoter must stop doing it. So the worse Saturday attendance gets the less incentive they have to continue with renting the halls for that day. Just common sense!

I get it as far as why some people don't like Saturdays - need to get home to cut grass, can't be away that many days, cost too much to stay the extra day, etc. But once Saturday is gone and the shows become one day shows the next thing is people will start leaving early Friday and the same thing will happen to Friday - then a few more years down the road and we will have no show at all. I have seen this happen with other hobbies I have been involved with and beg everyone to stop and think before pulling machines out early on Saturday. PLEASE be part of helping save these shows NOT part of the problem!

#529 7 years ago
    Quoted from hillbilly:

I agree with you. As machines sell off the floor more people take them out. However, I was there for both days last year and Saturday was jammed with people. Maybe toward the afternoon things will thin out a bit. York is a great show and personally is the most enjoyable compared to other venues. I try to spend a day at pinfest and pintastic but with York I reserve both days. Rich took this over for Eric and kept it going (20 years). I believe the show has turned a modest profit so he's not hurting, nor cashing in on it. Despite the rain I'm anticipating great attendance and another year of unprecedented fun! I'm going both days and looking forward to meeting many great pinsiders attending the show.

Rich (and his crew) have done a great job with this show and Ivan (and his crew) done equally as well since taking over Allentown (about the same time) and I think we all need to go out of our way to thank them when we have the chance. York is hands down my favorite show and I really can't pin down exactly why? It just seems to be the perfect size and a nice laid back pace or something. Allentown is bigger and has great food but there is just something about the York Show that is special.

And to any of the volunteers that happen to read this post a very special THANK YOU to you guys & girls. No one could run a successful show without the help of a bunch of great volunteers!

I have not had the chance to make it to Pintastic yet but I know that is shaping up to be another great show here on the east coast and I wish them well also. VFW is another show on my personal "bucket list" - that sounds like a great show also. But regardless what show we are talking about everyone needs to remember it takes a ton of work by a lot of people to make one of these shows happen. Are any of them perfect - NO - but all the promoters do the best they can to keep the majority of people happy. And we all really need to take a minute to say thanks for all the hard work they put into making these shows great.

I hate having to miss York again this year but family has to come first. I hope everyone has a great show! Be safe & enjoy!

#561 7 years ago

Was anyone over dropping machines today? If so -- I was just curious how things worked out with the weather & getting unloaded? It seems like Rich has had some really shitty luck since taking over the show when it comes to the weather for unloading! Hopefully everyone made out OK!

As far as the show itself rain should actually help the attendance (Rich and I have talked about that in the past). But it sure doesn't help getting unloaded or the poor guys outside at the flea market.

Good Luck to all!!

#568 7 years ago

Thanks for the updates guys! Have a great show & hopefully I'll have a chance to finally spend some time at the show next year. Think of me moving stuff in the rain in NJ for my son while you guys are having fun at a great show! I do have to say I am excited for my son & daughter-in-law because they are moving into their first house after renting for years. My only issue is why the heck did it have to be the same two days as the show?

#572 7 years ago
    Quoted from hillbilly:

I think that house needs a pin to christen it in

I have a load of them ready to take next weekend. This weekend I figured it is more important to get the stuff our of their apartment since their lease is actually up today. Landlord charged them an extra months rent just so they could have the extra day tomorrow to move but she has painters starting tomorrow (what a PITA to have to work around painting crew).

Both the seller and the kids landlord have made this move much harder than it had to be. Kids closed on the house this past Monday but couldn't get the keys till noon today because seller didn't have her stuff moved out on time. It got so bad this week they told her lawyer if he shit wasn't gone by today they wanted out of the contract. So now she filled their garage and is suppose to pick the stuff up this coming week. It it wasn't for the seller we could have had them moved by now and I could be at the show today!

Such is life!

#731 7 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

I agree! The Allentown flea market was so much better.
    Had a blast this year!
    Came prepared to bring a machine home, but it didn't happen .

Rich could verity this but I think the rent is too high at the York Fairground to pull off the indoor flea market idea. I know York Fairground is kind of crazy with their rents. At one point I talked to Rich about maybe doing a cheaper rent outside to try to attract more vendors and he told me York Fairgrounds gets most of the rent money for each space outside (if I remember correctly).

Maybe a "stepping stone" to an indoor flea marked would be to have a couple big tents put up and offer spaces under the tents for more money to cover the cost of the tent? I don't know if that would work but Rich could check on cost of tent ahead of time and then check to see if any of the regular vendors are interested.

Just a thought!

I really feel sorry for the outside vendors at York. Over the past 4 or 5 years I think it has rained for every show?

#743 7 years ago
    Quoted from rmarket:

And the rent is only the start of what the show pays the fairgrounds for. We also pay for trash removal, cleaning fees, maintenance fees and my personal favorite Enviromental Impact Fees. The way it works for things such as the food and tents is that the Fairgrounds contracts with a company and anyone that has a show there must use whatever vendor the fairgrounds contracted with. Which makes things such as tents too expensive for just a couple of days.

I know other promoters who rent space at the York Fairground and they are totally nuts with what they charge but somehow they get away with it! I know when Morningstar Market opened in Thomasville he had talked about putting up a building to rent out for events because of the step rents at York but that never happened as far as I know. And there is really no other big venue like the fairground in the area I know of so promoters are kind of stuck with York Fairground if you want to have a big event.

Rich has done a GREAT job with York and I know he is always trying to make it better. Hopefully one of these days I'll finally be able to find the time to set up in a big way to help support his efforts. For some reason every year something seems to come up keeping me from being able to do York (deaths in the family, kids moving, etc) but hopefully 2017 will be my year. If an indoor flea market can happen I would be in for at least two spaces and would love it if it was possible to pay extra and have electric in the space. I know York charges for every line dropped and it isn't cheap but it would be worth it to me!

Today is another day I am sitting here thinking why the hell did the kid have to move this past weekend. I really wanted to be at York instead I spent two days moving furniture down 16 steps at one place and up 12 steps at the other. I am getting too old for that shit!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-white-rose-gameroomyork-show-2016-edition?tu=too-many-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.