(Topic ID: 164976)

The White Rose Gameroom/York Show - 2016 Edition

By djreddog

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8ff420fcd5ca00e9b1faaeba5c32719f51d17e00 (resized).jpg
    9d84caed1190dfdc340b72ce3d5bc6763bdfd2eb (resized).jpg
    IMG_8527 (resized).JPG
    16e92a2be009b1026d708fc426724b7523c50ef2 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    tt2016.2 (resized).jpg
    Tuck (resized).jpg
    York Kid (resized).jpg
    ^ADFDE63F0FB7C9C25C905B836E97733D686C40DB6645C9E438^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr (resized).png
    IMG_6701 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6700 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6691 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6690 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6688 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6689 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6687 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 7 years ago

I'll be there. Gonna bring my newly-restored PF Twilight Zone, and have it sporting the blue powerball. Good luck, ya'll. Muhaha.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sethman:

Looking forward to seeing this one. Followed your restoration

It still has a few peculiarities that have me stumped, I hope to have them cleared up before the show.

Quoted from Camvr2013:

Favorited! Anyone know if there is a Google Doc yet?
    I'll most likely be bringing my modded JP. Looking to trade for something of equal value.

I'd there isn't one yet (official or un-), I can start I've easily..

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

Can you share a link to your restore thread? I'd like to check it out.

Here - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sample-tz-resto
    It's just a PF restore. Very little work was done on cabinet. The PF was in horrid condition - almost unplayable - so maybe in the next few years, I'll have a new cabinet done up.

#31 7 years ago

Stupid questions for those bringing games -
    (1) Do you reset high scores before delivery, or leave your super-awesome high-scores on there and wish people 'good luck!'?
    (2) If something happens - i.e. A ball gets stuck. Coil loses a wire - does someone at the show try to contact you to let you know?

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from davebart5:

Looking for any NOS Haunted House parts, playfields or backglass.
    Can't wait for the show.

...Wait, then why did you post here?

#51 7 years ago
    Quoted from LEE:

Ahhh, I see now. You are one of those people who only want to take advantage of the show being there so that you can profit from it.
    Here's the way I see it;
    There wouldn't be a show at all for people like you to profit from it if good people didn't bring pinball machines inside the show to sell(or to share) in the free play area.
    I'm one of those people who like to bring games into a show and shun parking lot deals so that the show will continue to go on.
    Maybe that makes me a sucker.
    What does that make you, I wonder?

Thank. You. I agree.
    On top of that, I **like** having people play my games. I like seeing how they enjoy it and react to the game's personality.

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

What's the cost of a space in the flea market, or even inside? I'd be interested in chipping in on a space with some others because I always bring a game or two in the free play area. But maybe I'd put one in the space for freeplay too. Would be cool to have a space with a few other Pinsiders with some games on freeplay. I'd also bring my touch gaming/jukebox systems to set up, which would be cool having music in the space where people could walk up and pick song/music videos to play.
    Anyone interested?

Interesting idea. If I had a larger truck, I'd bring my Jukebox, and would gladly put it in the flea market. (You know, playing *real* music off of vinyl! )

1 month later
    #179 7 years ago
    Quoted from rmarket:

FWIW the York Train show is still huge and still takes up every building at the fairgrounds. And it isn't a public event. To get into the train show you have to be a member in the collector group or know someone that is.

As someone who works in the railroad industry..

Those rail fans are friggin' insane.

#217 7 years ago
    Quoted from Alan_L:

Are these model trains guys, or like CSX, Norfolk-Southern, Union Pacific train guys?

Model railroaders. Real railroaders call these guys "FRN"s (F*uckin' rail nuts) or "Foamers"..

1 week later
    #281 7 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I have sheets of used glass that I don't need. Is that something I should bother bringing, even if just for $5 a sheet?

Would probably depend on the size. Widebodies may be more desired than standards, etc.

#286 7 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Just standard size with light scratches. Kept all the glass I replaced along the way and want it out of the workshop now.

I'll take one, need one for Meteor. But, seeing as how you live close by, I don't think you need to take it to York.

Since you never like comin' over and playing my games , I can stop by and pick it up whenever.

#288 7 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

You're welcome to stop by and just take a sheet of glass, not going to charge you a few bucks since you helped me out with the UV eraser when I needed one. I'm working from home today, so you could come by any time, even right now if you wanted. I do need to check out your games and play TZ for sure. We can get some games in on mine too while you're here. WCS, TWD, TSPP, Monopoly, NF and Baywatch right now.

I'm at the office today, but will be back in the area around 7pm. Lemme know if that's okay, I'll stop by before going home. (And, I dunno.. your WCS with the dog missing scares me. )

1 week later
    #351 7 years ago
    Quoted from weaverj:

so buying from free play area, can those games go home immediately or do they need to stay until end of show?

You CAN take them right away, but there's a fee for removing it early. (You know, plus unless there's a good excuse, it's just a dick move. )

#490 7 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Either the seller or the buyer - whatever deal you work out, but someone has to pay it.

Quoted from ryansherwood:

^ I thought there was only a fee for early removal?

Yeah, the fee's only charged if you pull the game out before the end of the show.
    If you DO pull it out, the person physically lifting the machine past the doors will have to pay the fee. Where that money comes from, the show doesn't care.

#492 7 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

I'll be there. Gonna bring my newly-restored PF Twilight Zone, and have it sporting the blue powerball. Good luck, ya'll. Muhaha.

I won't be bringing my game, unfortunately. Due to the weather, and the fact I have no covered transport, I can't risk bringing my game in. I'll be at the show, and if anyone leaves the show via way of Harper's Ferry and wants to play it, drop me a note..

#562 7 years ago
    Quoted from weaverj:

show is tomorrow. that just hit me. excited .

I'm excited to go as well. Still dad I won't have my TZ on show, but looking forward to playing a lot of games.

#685 7 years ago

I had fun at the show yesterday. I wasn't able to go today because of a sever underestimating the amount of rain we had the last few days, and the weight of my truck. (I'm fine. The truck will be, as soon as I get it out of the hole.)

The show was great. My biggest issue wasn't with the other people there, despite one of my bullet points below - but specifically the games that are brought and displayed. In no way do my reflections reflect against show organizers, because I've been told this is common with shows like this. And while I haven't been to other pin shows, the event organizers get a +1 for me for actually calling out, over the intercom, owner's names that need to go back and fix an issue with their game(s).

My biggest gripe - or issue with owners that bring games - is the lack of detail to their game.
    There were a few games there that were EXCELLENT restorations. Holy shit, you can see your reflection in the playfield still! But were completely *unplayable*, due to random, easily fixable issues.
    Example - there was a gorgeous [name redacted] that had an awesome playfield, and spotless cabinet. But HORRIBLE flipper alignment, making it nearly impossible to get the ball back up to the upper playfield. The same game was leaning horribly to the right. Jeesus.
    Another example - a new game, [name also redacted], on display from a vendor no less - looked spotless. It was new, after all! - but a kicker was very weak, and could only eject the ball successfully 1 / 5th of the time.

Now, I know that things can happen during shipment, take-down and set-up, but usually that's loose wire (like what happened with the restored TAF there) - something like *adjusting the slope and level* can be fixed on the fly. Flippers do not get out of alignment by simply moving a game.

If they were my games, I'd be embarrassed to have my name on them.

Now, while I'm focusing on restored games, there was plenty of un-restored, player's games that had little, SIMPLE and "make a good first-impression" things that coulda been fixed. Like, oh, I dunno - REPLACING burnt out bulbs.

To put it as simple as I can - I've OPERATED, owned, and worked on games both in arcades and locations. And I wouldn't feel right leaving a game with some of these easily-fixed issues.

And I still, to this day, can't understand the fascination with Super-Bands. (Or however you spell it..) They should all be shot into the sun. Whew.

On the plus side, there were a LOT of games there, and very few duplicates, as far as I can remember. Over 50% EMs, which I've never been able to play a lot of, and a few (like the one mentioned above, 'Blue Chip') I *really* enjoyed. I also played some of my first 'Bingo' games at this show. I still don't know what I'm doing when I play one, but they were fun trying to figure out. There was one there priced at $250, and I was extremely tempted to take it home with me.

Vendors were nice - I didn't get to say hi to Joe @ PinballSTAR, but I did play their Hobbits - the better software form over a year ago has really changed the game around. I was impressed. I got to play Ghostbusters for the first time as well (I don't know which vendor that was - all the techs were wearing 'Stern' shirts..), and I can see it in my collection, once used games enter the market. A LOT of crap going on in that game, though. And apologies to HP - I watched someone play TBL, and.. I couldn't get into it, or even get my curiosity up watching, so I didn't play it. (I know, I'm a freak. Sue me.) However, I will say the artowkr on the game was VERY nice, and I dunno how, but I *love* the screen and animation look. A perfect mix of old-fashioned DMD with full color videos.

Was disappointed at the size of the fleamarket. From previous comments, I wasa expecting more, but likely the weather had something to do with that.

All in all, I'll go next year, for sure. If nothing else, it's a fantastic excuse to take a day off of work and play.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-white-rose-gameroomyork-show-2016-edition?tu=coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.