(Topic ID: 164976)

The White Rose Gameroom/York Show - 2016 Edition

By djreddog

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8ff420fcd5ca00e9b1faaeba5c32719f51d17e00 (resized).jpg
    9d84caed1190dfdc340b72ce3d5bc6763bdfd2eb (resized).jpg
    IMG_8527 (resized).JPG
    16e92a2be009b1026d708fc426724b7523c50ef2 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    tt2016.2 (resized).jpg
    Tuck (resized).jpg
    York Kid (resized).jpg
    ^ADFDE63F0FB7C9C25C905B836E97733D686C40DB6645C9E438^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr (resized).png
    IMG_6701 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6700 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6691 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6690 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6688 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6689 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6687 (resized).JPG
    There are 803 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 17.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from LEE:

Ahhh, I see now. You are one of those people who only want to take advantage of the show being there so that you can profit from it.
    Here's the way I see it;
    There wouldn't be a show at all for people like you to profit from it if good people didn't bring pinball machines inside the show to sell(or to share) in the free play area.
    I'm one of those people who like to bring games into a show and shun parking lot deals so that the show will continue to go on.
    Maybe that makes me a sucker.
    What does that make you, I wonder?

Thank. You. I agree.
    On top of that, I **like** having people play my games. I like seeing how they enjoy it and react to the game's personality.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

I **like** having people play my games. I like seeing how they enjoy it and react to the game's personality.

took the words right out of my mouth.

#53 7 years ago

Ok, back on topic. As it stands now, although subject to change, looks like I will be bringing my Riverboat Gambler to the show.

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Ok, back on topic.

booo.

#55 7 years ago

I love bringing games NFS (not-for-sale) for others to play and it's one of my favorite parts of the hobby (and I get to play operator if any problems come up), but at the same time people do the "will bring if sold" thing all of the time. I don't think it's abusing the show, it gets done every year. I think there were more presales than sales at Pinfest this year. That's where the deals were this time. Even if that seems unfortunate, that is still separate from not wanting to bring games.

To each their own. I'm surprised there's a backlash though, people have been doing that for years. I'm even more on your side about it generally but kindly do not agree with the remark that he's "abusing the show". Just seems unfair to criticize only him after he is one of the many. I never saw a problem with it before, there's always still a huge turnout anyways.

Let's be real, a "show" is to show off your machines, so wouldn't that make any sales abusing it (in theory, of course)? If people were not allowed to sell on the floor nobody would probably show up besides a handful which is kind of sad. I wish we had more of a show community like that and encourage more of the ribbon prizes. I would even go as far to say to encourage pre-sale if your machine is a real junker. There were so many dirty, half-working, and depressing machines at Pinfest this year. There was a rough Flip-A-Card that burnt up a coil or caught on fire or something and the guy didn't even turn the machine off, he cut off the start switch wiring(!) and left a lowered price on it. These shows are turning into grounds to sell rather than grounds to show off. It's just a big auction now-a-days. Note, I have no problem with the concept of that, I just wish they were nice running machines instead of unloved machines that were clearly only brought because the owner wants to unload them or wants to get in free. I appreciate when people bring a machine to sell AND for people to play. Sometimes it seems way too focused on the first part. I love to shine up my machines before a show and make them tip-top notch just like any "show" mentality across any hobby. It seems that gets lost sometimes in this one. It confuses me. I wish they were more like car shows.

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from burningman:

BOP 2.0 will be there

That rag again!

#57 7 years ago

For a show to work it takes all type people: a show needs people not bringing machines and paying to enter to cover expenses, it needs vendors to draw people, and also need plenty of machines in the freeplay area (so it needs lots of people to bring machines). From my experience with both York & Allentown the mix always seems about perfect.

Both shows are growing each year, both have plenty of freeplay machines (on the first day) and also seem to have plenty of people paying to get into the show, and from talking to both Rich & Ivan both promoters seem very happy overall.

With that said I think the BIGGEST ISSUE with both shows is not enough machines on Freeplay the second day. I realize people have other obligations, machines sell the first day and leave that night, etc. But to make shows even better it would be great to see full halls both days of the show.

I am going to try to do my part and bring some machines just for Saturday this year and I would encourage others to do the same -- if they can. Nothing will kill a show quicker than being 1/2 empty the second day. Lets help both York & Allentown to continue to grow!

#58 7 years ago

What's the cost of a space in the flea market, or even inside? I'd be interested in chipping in on a space with some others because I always bring a game or two in the free play area. But maybe I'd put one in the space for freeplay too. Would be cool to have a space with a few other Pinsiders with some games on freeplay. I'd also bring my touch gaming/jukebox systems to set up, which would be cool having music in the space where people could walk up and pick song/music videos to play.

Anyone interested?

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

What's the cost of a space in the flea market, or even inside? I'd be interested in chipping in on a space with some others because I always bring a game or two in the free play area. But maybe I'd put one in the space for freeplay too. Would be cool to have a space with a few other Pinsiders with some games on freeplay. I'd also bring my touch gaming/jukebox systems to set up, which would be cool having music in the space where people could walk up and pick song/music videos to play.
    Anyone interested?

Interesting idea. If I had a larger truck, I'd bring my Jukebox, and would gladly put it in the flea market. (You know, playing *real* music off of vinyl! )

#60 7 years ago

Special Parking Area for Tailgate Trading. Reservation Fee is $85
    Each Tailgate space is 10ft x 10ft. Your tailgate space includes 1 free admission.
    If we are notified after Sept. 22nd or your form is postmarked after Sept. 22nd
    Tailgate space increases to $110.

Vendors Only: Special Area Inside For Vendors. Vendors may bring anything that is gameroom related.
    Games in vendor spots do not need to be on free play and can be removed from the show at any time!
    Vendor Reservation Fee is $140 per space, and covers both days. Each space is 10ft x 10ft. Table and
    Chair rental prices: Each Table is $11.00 and each Chair is $1.50 and covers both days. Your inside
    space includes 2 admissions. Thursday’s set-up time is included with your reservation fee. To receive
    discounted rate, your registration form must be postmarked and mailed before September 22nd .

After the 22nd the indoor vendor space price increases to $165 per space.

#61 7 years ago

Looking for an afm or Tfle if anyone is bringing these.

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Interesting idea. If I had a larger truck, I'd bring my Jukebox, and would gladly put it in the flea market. (You know, playing *real* music off of vinyl! )

There isn't any electric available in the flea market area so it may be difficult to run your Jukebox. It is a Gameroom show. Jukeboxes, video games and pretty much any coin operated games of any kinds are welcome in the free play area.

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Nothing will kill a show quicker than being 1/2 empty the second day. Lets help both York & Allentown to continue to grow!

Agreed!! I basically wasted a trip coming the second day last year and almost decided to not come back this year. I'm going to give it one more shot by coming on day one. When I got there machine after machine was getting wheeled out the doors and there were so many empty gaps in the rows. I felt like I had already missed the entire show.

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I'd also bring my touch gaming/jukebox systems to set up, which would be cool having music in the space where people could walk up and pick song/music videos to play.
    Anyone interested?

I really hope that you can make it out with one of these. I've been wanting to check them out in person.

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

I really hope that you can make it out with one of these. I've been wanting to check them out in person.

ditto.

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

Agreed!! I basically wasted a trip coming the second day last year and almost decided to not come back this year. I'm going to give it one more shot by coming on day one. When I got there machine after machine was getting wheeled out the doors and there were so many empty gaps in the rows. I felt like I had already missed the entire show.

If I can only make it on Saturday is it still worth me going?

#67 7 years ago

I always enjoy this show but wish it was Saturday-Sunday instead of Friday-Saturday.

#68 7 years ago

Even if it was open late on Friday, it would help. But I won't get out of work until 5. I wouldn't make it to the show until 6:30 at best.

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from yfz450:

Host hotel is sold out, just called. Probably will sit this year out.

New LaQuinta just 2 miles from York Fairgrounds. Also very nice Homewood Suites 6 miles N at N. George Street exit of I-83. Great hospitality, and breakfast too. Just FYI.

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from LEE:

Ahhh, I see now. You are one of those people who only want to take advantage of the show being there so that you can profit from it.
    Here's the way I see it;
    There wouldn't be a show at all for people like you to profit from it if good people didn't bring pinball machines inside the show to sell(or to share) in the free play area.
    I'm one of those people who like to bring games into a show and shun parking lot deals so that the show will continue to go on.
    Maybe that makes me a sucker.
    What does that make you, I wonder?

I consider myself to be a nice and honest person. So please don't vilify me when you don't even know me.

I personally don't like bringing a game to put into the show and having to stay the whole day to make sure it sells. I'm impressed by the people who travel a long distance and have a game there for 2 days. That's not me at this time though. I work weekends and have other obligations like many others do.

There are people out there in the pinball world who don't want to be forced to get to a show really early and race others in order to buy a machine. I think I'm doing a service to the pinball community. Someone who normally wouldn't drive a long distance (Pittsburgh to New York for example) to buy a machine now has the opportunity to buy a machine that they might have been looking for. It must suck for someone who has to drive a long way with hopes of coming home with something nice only to leave empty handed.

I think anyone in this hobby would agree that they would rather have more machines for sale then less machines for sale.

If you want to be mad at anyone you should be mad at the people who bring poor quality machines to the freeplay area and put a large price tag on them and call it "The Show Price." Those are the people who are taking advantage.

If you were at Allentown this year then you would have seen that was the case. Yes, there were a lot of machines there that were very nice, but there were come junkers there too.

Best machine at Allentown was the Spot-a-Card that was not for sale. I read the card that was on the machine and apologize if I'm remembering this wrong. The machine was restored by a gentleman who had passed away and the current owner brings it to the show in his honor. I think that is the greatest thing ever.

I got into this hobby because my dad loves pinball and this is a father son thing that we share. Most of the games I buy are games that my dad played as a kid on his paper route, at the local bowling alley, or down the shore. I love surprising him with one of these games and they are becoming harder and harder to find.

So like I said please don't vilify me for letting people know what games that I can deliver to the show for them because there are definitely people out there searching for specific games just like me. It's nice to know a head of time that I can guarantee myself a machine that normally I wouldn't have been able to get and don't have to fight others to get.

#71 7 years ago

I worked (along with several collectors) to bring a bunch 'o bingos to the show last year for the first unofficial 'bingo row' https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bingo-row-at-york-2015

This year, we are doing it all over again, but with a few fewer games. I am also bringing my custom-built 'Multi-Bingo' for the first time, with 16 games to choose from. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multi-bingo-machine

Like last year, I have a special surprise for those that can make at least a four-in-a-line (subject to how many I have on hand). More on that later.

I have to rent a truck, so I'll have some space. I may end up bringing a flipper game for sale (a cocktail)... and maybe one bingo.

York is indeed a fantastic show. Can't wait!

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:I worked (along with several collectors) to bring a bunch 'o bingos to the show last year for the first unofficial 'bingo row' https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bingo-row-at-york-2015

This year, we are doing it all over again, but with a few fewer games.

Glad to hear the Bingo Row will be back this year, I plan on taking you up on your offer for some playing tips.

Also, I appreciate the efforts of all you folks who bring your games and allow them to be played and enjoyed. My friend and I spent about 6 hours in the Free Play area last year on Saturday. Good times.

#73 7 years ago

Going to try to run up there and back on Friday, really only day I can make it.

#75 7 years ago

Alrighty, I'm kicking this off. Here is the link to the Google Doc I created.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j4cra8U2zhc5JTbzgBuaZ4YJt16DIAwc5WLh43ZK6xc/edit?usp=sharing

QUICK DISCLAIMER: As someone who has to arrange a vehicle for the show, I really appreciate having the spreadsheet to make deals ahead of time. That being said, I encourage everyone who is planning on buying, trading or selling ahead of time to at least put a machine in the free play area. It's a great opportunity for all to enjoy these games and for you, the owner, to work out any kinks and get professional assistance in diagnosing problems.

I will be bringing my JP for Free Play, or whatever machine I happen to strike a trade deal for ahead of time!

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from Camvr2013:

I will be bringing my JP for Free Play, or whatever machine I happen to strike a trade deal for ahead of time!

Does Austin Powers entice you enough for a trade?

#77 7 years ago

Are there any vendors who do onsite board repair?

#79 7 years ago

Is anyone going to be there that would be willing to solder a jumper wire on my hs2 dmd? The vertical line on the far right is out, which doesn't affect gameplay, but is annoying for sure. Another pinsider told me this was easy to do if you know what you are doing but unfortunately I do not!

#80 7 years ago
    Quoted from tomh52722:

Is anyone going to be there that would be willing to solder a jumper wire on my hs2 dmd? The vertical line on the far right is out, which doesn't affect gameplay, but is annoying for sure. Another pinsider told me this was easy to do if you know what you are doing but unfortunately I do not!

I have a great soldering station I will probably bring along but I'm not familiar with where this jumper needs to be (so you'd need to know).

If it's a little tiny pad I probably don't want to mess with it. I'm confident, just not that confident, for something done in the middle of a show.

Quick edit: (Woo, 1,000th post!)

#81 7 years ago

Hi Everyone,

My name is Ryan Claytor, you may recognize a few pinball illustrations I've done for various pinball companies, events, podcasts, and website:

http://www.ElephantEater.com/10761

This will be my first year attending the York Show and I'm pretty darned excited about it! Plus...

Quoted from bingopodcast:

I worked (along with several collectors) to bring a bunch 'o bingos to the show last year for the first unofficial 'bingo row' https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bingo-row-at-york-2015
    This year, we are doing it all over again...

...I get to experience Bingo Row, aaaand...

BingoRow.jpgBingoRow.jpg

...be a small part of it! BingoPodcast tapped me to create a custom illustration in celebration of "Bingo Row" this year. Not to mention...

Quoted from bingopodcast:

Like last year, I have a special surprise for those that can make at least a four-in-a-line (subject to how many I have on hand).

...we're printing T-shirts to commemorate the occasion!

BingoRowMock.jpgBingoRowMock.jpg

As you may have surmised, these will be the rewards that Bingo Podcast mentioned for achieving a 4 or 5-in-a-line hit! So good luck mastering the Bingos and snagging one of these extremely limited shirts!

However, if you'd rather not take a chance on your bingo-ing skills (or whether or not we'll have your size) you can order you shirt in advance of the show directly from BingoPodcast:

http://foramusementonly.libsyn.com/bingo-row-t-shirts-for-the-2016-york-show

We're running a pre-order until Sept. 7th. After that time, you'll be subject to own bingo prowess and Nick's t-shirt availability.

Looking forward to meeting folks at York!

Sincerely,
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    www.ElephantEater.com

#82 7 years ago

Thank you for working with me again Ryan! I am always incredibly impressed with the level of detail in your illustrations, and this one has so much detail, and so many easter eggs, it's just amazing.

Can't wait to see folks earn a shirt! Last year, the books went very fast (much faster than I expected), so let me know if you'll only be there Saturday and want to compete against the machine.

Otherwise, hope to see all of you there.

-Nick

#83 7 years ago

If anyone happens to have a gutted Gottlieb Haunted House cabinet FS @ or near York, please PM me Thanks!

#84 7 years ago

As of right now, I will likely be bringing my No Fear for freeplay/sale. Will also bring The Shadow if I haven't sold it by then (not for sale yet). Will also have at least one bar/countertop touchscreen jukebox and game system there.

#85 7 years ago

i'd be interested in The Shadow.

#86 7 years ago

I know it's not pin related, but I'd be interested in a working arcade dart board like an Arachnid. Not the cheap Walmart home versions but looking in the range of $200-$300.

#87 7 years ago

Anyone bringing a Taxi?

PM me!

#88 7 years ago

Heading up for the day on Saturday. I would love to find an Earthshaker playfield in restorable condition. Bringing the truck in case I find something I cant live without

#89 7 years ago

If anyone is bringing a Shadow or TSPP or interested in a Getaway (currently on marketplace) then please PM me.

#90 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

I have a great soldering station I will probably bring along but I'm not familiar with where this jumper needs to be (so you'd need to know).
    If it's a little tiny pad I probably don't want to mess with it. I'm confident, just not that confident, for something done in the middle of a show.

You must be staying at the Holiday Inn.

#91 7 years ago

Can't wait for this. For some reason I really enjoy York. Not a huge show or anything but has a grassroots feel to it. Love it... just love it!

#92 7 years ago

what's the free play count roughly friday at open?

#93 7 years ago

Just posted this week. New T-Shirt design for the show.

pasted_image_(resized).pngpasted_image_(resized).png

#94 7 years ago

Can the shirts be bought online or at the show only?

#95 7 years ago

Past two years there has been around 200 games on the floor for play on Friday. I think there was something like 230 (including the vendor's games on free play) at one point on Friday last year.

#96 7 years ago

Ill be selling a super nice Freddy $2300 and or nice Police Force $1600. One will be at the show and both are shopped working 100 percent.

#97 7 years ago
    Quoted from Meph:

Can the shirts be bought online or at the show only?

note sure contact rich.
    http://www.theyorkshow.com/index.html

#98 7 years ago
    Quoted from hank527:

Ill be selling a super nice Freddy $2300 and or nice Police Force $1600. One will be at the show and both are shopped working 100 percent.

Put the Freddy on the floor...I've never seen one in person and would love to check it out

#99 7 years ago
    Quoted from rmarket:

Past two years there has been around 200 games on the floor for play on Friday. I think there was something like 230 (including the vendor's games on free play) at one point on Friday last year.

why is everyone talking crap on the show? that's very legit.

#100 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

I am not really sure what I am looking for but someone told me it was pretty easy to do if you know what you are doing (which I don't). Just hoping a fellow pinsider can help

There are 803 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-white-rose-gameroomyork-show-2016-edition/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.