Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by rai
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I'm in the market for a Walking Dead Pro, but I'm undecided whether i should go new or used.

Obviously going new will cost more, but they're also available now. I haven't seen a used Pro anywhere close to me. Honestly I don't want to drive too far. Also, it would be my first NIB.

If I go used, what game specific issues should I be aware of with these?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 5 years ago

There are tons of HUO out there, be patient and one will pop up near you. I would always go HUO save money and inspect the machine. You may find a nicely modded one as well and save a ton on mods.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

There are tons of HUO out there, be patient and one will pop up near you. I would always go HUO save money and inspect the machine. Look carefully at the playfield, cabinet, and boards. You may find a nicely modded one as well and save a ton on mods.

#4 5 years ago

In general holding out for a used one is the better move.

That being said, having a new pin delivered to your house is a fun experience(assuming they're aren't any delivery shenanigans, which unfortunately is a potential).

I used to own a pro. Great game. As far as specifics to look out for, I can't really think of any other than maybe making sure the barn isn't too banged up.

#5 5 years ago

If you can actually find new (we are sold out), I would pull the trigger. I don’t think you will save much going used. Once the nib are gone the used price will be the same. If you are “patient” and wait 6 months and find a used game, that’s 6 months of not playing it. To me that’s worth a few hundred (if even)

#6 5 years ago

Used used and used. Anyone telling you to buy new is either a distributor or they're a distributor.

You can save a good amount with huo and literally get the same quality. I never understand why people get NIB UNLESS the game is brand new and you don't have huo options. I've definitely done it before and you usually lose right away like a new car.

#7 5 years ago

If you plan on keeping the game forever i would just buy new because you wont save that much anyways. TWD is a keeper for life i think so i say just do it. No issues at all with my pro and its got over 2000 games on it.

#8 5 years ago

So, to ask another question; If I go the new route, who is a good distributor to buy from?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from dontfeed:

So, to ask another question; If I go the new route, who is a good distributor to buy from?

At this point, the one's who have them. I know my distributor does not.

I bought HUO for all the obvious reasons. The code in the game is brilliant. Good choice.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

At this point, the one's who have them. I know my distributor does not.
I bought HUO for all the obvious reasons. The code in the game is brilliant. Good choice.

Well, I suppose that's true. Who do you use as a distributor so I know who not to contact if I go new?

#11 5 years ago

I've used cointaker and always had a good experience

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

There are tons of HUO out there, be patient and one will pop up near you. I would always go HUO save money and inspect the machine. You may find a nicely modded one as well and save a ton on mods.

As someone who has been looking for a TWD Pro in the Northeast for quite a while, I’d say this is wrong. TWD Pro is the one game I still really want to own, and they are scarce. In fact, I’ll say it here, WTB: TWD Pro. And I won’t get one, because again, scarce. And if one does come up, it will be the same price as NIB. It’s kind of a bummer because I really like the game.

#13 5 years ago

You can buy a used premium for the new in box price. The premium is the way to go on twd.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

As someone who has been looking for a TWD Pro in the Northeast for quite a while, I’d say this is wrong. TWD Pro is the one game I still really want to own, and they are scarce. In fact, I’ll say it here, WTB: TWD Pro. And I won’t get one, because again, scarce. And if one does come up, it will be the same price as NIB. It’s kind of a bummer because I really like the game.

The great ones usually stay in collections. My LE is a keeper. Keep the faith man, someone’s going to have to make room.

#15 5 years ago

I've been watching lately and I've seen nothing within 200 miles of me. Now that I'm in the market for one and dont feel like waiting forever, new is becoming more and more attractive.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Used used and used. Anyone telling you to buy new is either a distributor or they're a distributor.
You can save a good amount with huo and literally get the same quality. I never understand why people get NIB UNLESS the game is brand new and you don't have huo options. I've definitely done it before and you usually lose right away like a new car.

Maybe lots of things you're failing to consider. The value of time is a big one.

Buy used:

Possible long wait for a used one to pop up within reasonable driving distance. Likelihood that seller will want too much $$ for it. Likelihood that seller added a bunch of lame mods you don't care for which are inflating the price. Likelihood of some wear & tear, bumps & bruises. Likely out of warranty. Time & gas to pick it up and get it back to your house.

Buy new:

Pick up the phone and have a brand new one delivered to your door. Maybe you pay a bit more.

Seems to me if price is not too different the clear winner is buying new.

#17 5 years ago

How much are they NIB?

#20 5 years ago

Used Pros aren't far behind.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Maybe lots of things you're failing to consider. The value of time is a big one.
Buy used:
Possible long wait for a used one to pop up within reasonable driving distance. Likelihood that seller will want too much $$ for it. Likelihood that seller added a bunch of lame mods you don't care for which are inflating the price. Likelihood of some wear & tear, bumps & bruises. Likely out of warranty. Time & gas to pick it up and get it back to your house.
Buy new:
Pick up the phone and have a brand new one delivered to your door. Maybe you pay a bit more.
Seems to me if price is not too different the clear winner is buying new.

What he just said is true. Buy new. Only buy used if its really close by and a good deal.

#22 5 years ago

Buy one from automated. Most likely he has them in stock.

http://pinballs.com

#23 5 years ago

Two used pro's in MI. for sale.

#24 5 years ago

Yeah, that’s bonkers. I realize it’s the current price, but that is just stupid money for a Pro game. I just refuse to pay that much. Even if it means I never own the game.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

Two used pro's in MI. for sale.

You got a link? All of my searches come up with nothing.

#28 5 years ago

First link is 4700 or 5w color dmd.. also, I say buy used... nib is around a thousand dollar plunge nowadays

#29 5 years ago

No way I’d buy a NIB DMD. This is the LCD era!

I wouldn’t pay much more than $4K for a stock HUO DMD Pro either

Some mods however are worth the cheese IMO. I’m a sucker for a color DMD, mirror blades & when done right powder coating. Guess I’m saying I’d pay more if I liked the mods as I did with my LOTR.

I own TWD. My pal wants to take possession of it soon. As that day nears I question if I can actually part with it. The jackpot buildup strategy is just so addicting. To me the mode & multball stacking is secondary to building up a big ass x multiplier while 2x is running. GREEEEEEEED is how I play TWD.

#30 5 years ago

Yeah used for sure. Both those games have CDMDs and you’re gonna save 500-600 bucks on top of that. Do that deal all day. I bet you could get one of them for under 5k.

#31 5 years ago

5600 plus tax? If so it's closer to 6k, a used one is around 5k. I'd save the grand and look for a good used one with some good mods or color dmd.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Hammer1021:

5600 plus tax? If so it's closer to 6k, a used one is around 5k. I'd save the grand and look for a good used one with some good mods or color dmd.

Best to order new from out of state.

Legacy pros such as TWD should be low $5s shipped. Perhaps TWD is finally out of production and getting scarce. If that’s the case prepare to get bent over.

#33 5 years ago

New can be more a lot more convenient (if you don't own a pin hauler, if you don't want to drive hours etc..)

If you can find a nice huo that's close and a good price that's great but paying an extra few hundred bucks is not anything big to me. I mean it's what 10-15% we are taking about?

I don't mind supporting the good distributers, if they make some money it's necessary to have them make something to keep the whole pinball ecosystem running.

I like Cointaker and/or JJ (Game Exchange Colorado)

I just want to say *I* prefer TWD pro and it's not just because it's cheaper, I think it shoots a lot smoother.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from dontfeed:

Used Pros aren't far behind.

You can get a nice pro for about $800-$1000 less. That's not a small amount, and they usually have some small mods or other niceties that don't come NIB (shaker motor, lollipop rails, etc) you get for "free" that are probably worth another $100-$300. So it's not a small difference.

#35 5 years ago

Cant view the first link (permissions), but the second looks nice. Too bad it's an 800 mile round trip.

#36 5 years ago

I bought mine brand new about a year ago. It was nice having it magically appear in my drive way. Did I pay more, yes.

But I didn't have to find a used one, grab a buddy with a truck, drive a few hundred miles, walk into some stranger's house with a few thousand dollars in my pocket, get it out of their house, load it up, haul it back a couple hundred miles, yada yada, yada.

I called Cointaker on Friday morning and it was waiting for me in my driveway when I got home from work that day (seriously).

For me, it was worth the few hundred extra.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I bought mine brand new about a year ago. It was nice having it magically appear in my drive way. Did I pay more, yes.
But I didn't have to find a used one, grab a buddy with a truck, drive a few hundred miles, walk into some stranger's house with a few thousand dollars in my pocket, get it out of their house, load it up, haul it back a couple hundred miles, yada yada, yada.
I called Cointaker on Friday morning and it was waiting for me in my driveway when I got home from work that day (seriously).
For me, it was worth the few hundred extra.

I did same with AFM LE.

I could have got used one but required 5+ hours driving and borrowing a pin hauler.

I paid $900 extra got new one shipped to my door with full warranty. Was able to do credit card so got extra protection if something was not right. Plus got the trim color I wanted.

If the nib LE was no longer available I’d have got the huo one.

#38 5 years ago

I'm leaning towards going new. It'll be my first NIB and it'll be mine, all mine!

I don't care if it doesn't have a color LCD display. I think the red display goes with this game. I think I should try the NIB experience at least once.

#39 5 years ago

Is $5600 the going rate now for all NIB DMD games? If so, that’s quite the increase from when I bought my NIB GoT last December.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

Is $5600 the going rate now for all NIB DMD games? If so, that’s quite the increase from when I bought my NIB GoT last December.

I hope not bc thats nuts...older nib dmd titles sld be at least 400-600 less than say iron maiden, deadpool from my experience.

#41 5 years ago

Go new

#42 5 years ago

Stern sets the prices and they have recently not had a different price between the DMD and LCD games. I don't know that I agree with FORCING this upon distros. They might not care if they have stock they bought when they were selling me a GB for 4950 and now HAVE to sell it for ~5600. But what happens when they are sitting with DMD games in stock and LCD games are 6k and they have all of that capitol tied up in DMDs? I think Stern will have to give them wiggle room at some point, or those games will go away some other way that at least moves them.

#43 5 years ago

Any reputable distributor that wants to deliver a NIB TWD Pro to a terminal in my area or my house for 5000, let me know. I’ll mail the check tomorrow.

I still think the new pricing is nuts. Heck, I think 5k for an older game is nuts. But I’d pay that for the game I still want.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Any reputable distributor that wants to deliver a NIB TWD Pro to a terminal in my area or my house for 5000, let me know. I’ll mail the check tomorrow.
I still think the new pricing is nuts. Heck, I think 5k for an older game is nuts. But I’d pay that for the game I still want.

What he said. I highly HIGHLY doubt anyone would sell it for that, but I'd buy one at that price new.

#45 5 years ago

I think that’s BS. The newer games have the LCD so there should be different pricing for the older DMD games.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I think that’s BS. The newer games have the LCD so there should be different pricing for the older DMD games.

agreed since color DMDs cost $400 (plus tax and shipping).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 16.00
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-walking-dead-pro-new-or-used?hl=ercvacation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.