(Topic ID: 105639)

The Walking Dead Pinball - First Impressions (Review of TWD Pro)

By MnHotRod

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by underlord
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

No.gif
image.jpg
fist-pump.jpg
There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 9 years ago

A friend of mine doesn't get online much, but he sent a review of TWD after ten or fifteen games. Here it is.

The Walking Dead - Game is pretty damn fun. So many people complaining based on a couple of bad videos are gonna be kicking themselves. The game has a couple of "easy" shots like the ramps that set up for cool combos. Good design by STERN to have it that way - making the set-up easy and the payout a little more challenging is addicting and kept me wanting to hit the start button. The lighting is great - the white LEDs are perfect. I don't think I'm going to worry about adding color LEDs - if I do they'll be extremely limited - the white just looks really good with the rest of the game and the theme. Surprisingly the game doesn't feel like it has too much stop and go even with all the shots to the pop bumpers. The ball goes to them frequently but doesn't stay up there too long and 99% of the time returns nicely to the left flipper where you can catch it or do a dead pass and bounce it over to the right flipper. It's actually pretty cool - if you're planning ahead you can decide what to do with balls exiting the bumpers for either setting up a left or right flipper shot - this was one of my concerns initially from seeing the layout - I prefer games where I can plan a shot with either flipper to get the ball to that other flipper - the pop bumpers let you do that. The game also have a neat feature where the inlane light if lit, multiplies your next shot by 2X. Talk about wanting to make that combo count - or time it with a super jackpot shot. The other modes are gonna be pretty cool too - there's plenty of inserts to differentiate between them and even though there are not a ton of shots it feels like there are plenty so that you're not just hammering away over and over again for the modes. Some people have commented that playing the game feels like you're just banging the ball around - I've found after each shot there's a tactical decision you can make on your next - the inserts are doing a great job with those limited shots in giving you direction on what you really should go for - hell, each of the main shots has four, yes four, inserts indicating which shots are now important. Still getting an understanding on how some of the rules work, but so far it's really fun. Can only imagine when everything is finalized. The other thing that I'm really enjoying is the multi-balls are easy to get, but don't necessarily give you the most points. Most of my big games where with going deep into a mode before starting multi-ball - I think this was important for them to get right, too many other STERN games where it seems like your best point strategy is just for going for the multi-balls, over and over and over again. This game is definitely going to reward the player that knows the rules on the machine and what to do.

The playfield is much better in person too - the flyer they posted makes the zombies by the flippers look like they have a blue hue - the real playfield is much cleaner with more greys that better fit the theme and don't contrast negatively with the red plastics and blood. Overall the colors in general just look better in person.

The dots are awesome. Watching them while my wife played was really fun. STERN got creative in the way they used zombies in the pinball world. Can't wait to see more of them. Adding heads to the fish tank especially had some cool dots. I thought the audio was good too - the background music is slightly different that the show, but a little faster to add some more tension. The sound FX are good, the voice call-outs aren't bad - yeah, everyone is bitching about how they didn't get the original guy to do the voice overs, but really, really, they're voices aren't really that great anyway - when you isolate them and listen to them on TV and then try to picture that on a pinball machine it's probably going to sound lame anyway. What I do hope is that they add a lot more call outs, as they are feeling like they got a little repetitive. As for the southern drawl for the audio callouts - well, the show does take place in the south, doesn't it?

A couple of things I didn't like - The start button is green - that should definitely have been red and will be swapped out! The inner orbit sometimes when hit really clean, bounces back down the inner orbit instead of going into the pops. A clean hit through the right orbit followed by a fast hit to the right ramp caused an airball once - could need a cover eventually. The extra ball is automatically redeemed on your next ball through the plunger lane - technically as long as you don't get the extra ball lit on your last ball you're going to get it without even having to shoot for it. Seems kinda dumb to make a shot for the extra ball if that's the way it's coded..

Overall, it's different from the pins I usually gravitate towards and is a nice complement in my line-up that already centers heavily on flow. Combine that with a theme my wife and I really enjoy and good lighting and music and I think we'll be playing it for a while.

With the LE's being so much more, I decided to stick with the Pro but plan adding some mods that are going to rival the LEs: Lighted fish tank with heads (may not be interactive but will look just as cool), upgrade to the prison roof top, as mentioned before - a RED start button, some more blood splatter decals on the clear plastics, zombie heads and bodies underneath the left ramp, maybe a couple of red spot lights near the back to add a deathly feel effect, katana stickers maybe on the flippers? Imagine simple line art of katanas printed on clear stuck to the flippers, each flick of the flipper you're chopping at the zombies attacking you on the playfield - minimal but cool? Zombie head shooter rod - or what about a shotgun shell shooter rod - firing the ball off?

#2 9 years ago

Thanks for posting ! Good review. Melissa said LEs shipping end of the month, this will be a great
addition.

#3 9 years ago

Very well written and honest review. Thanks for posting

#4 9 years ago

Thanks for posting sounds like a fun pin.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from MnHotRod:

the voice call-outs aren't bad - yeah, everyone is bitching about how they didn't get the original guy to do the voice overs, but really, really, they're voices aren't really that great anyway - when you isolate them and listen to them on TV and then try to picture that on a pinball machine it's probably going to sound lame anyway. What I do hope is that they add a lot more call outs, as they are feeling like they got a little repetitive. As for the southern drawl for the audio callouts - well, the show does take place in the south, doesn't it?

Yea Right !! The voice guy " Placed a feather N his hat & called it Macaroni "

We Don't talk like that Down Here .....

#6 9 years ago

Heeeeeehaaawwwww!! This here's are right mighty fine pinball doohickey! Grab your banjo and kill some zombeez!

Please fix the idiotic VO.

#7 9 years ago

Thanks for the review!

Have to agree with Ozno though about the voice call outs. The happy hillbilly voice is ridiculously bad. And it has NOTHING to do with the fact that the accent is from the south. I have no problem with the person doing the voice overs having a southern accent. Just have it fit the game! You have a darker themed game, great intense music, and then a completely out out place happy higher pitched voice. Completely doesn't fit the theme or the rest of the game.

VOs would sound so much better from someone with a deeper more serious sounding voice - southern or otherwise.

By way of comparison, in Star Wars - A New Hope, Darth Vader was as cool as he was because of the voice of James Earl Jones. Check out "The Real Voice of Darth Vader" on youtube. Darth voiced by the actor (David Prowse) is what TWD sounds like now. It could be so much better if done right!

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

Heeeeeehaaawwwww!! This here's are right mighty fine pinball doohickey! Grab your banjo and kill some zombeez!

Please fix the idiotic VO

x100

I literally may not buy the game if they don't get crappy happy hick out of there and get some good voice work to match the "darker" theme of the game and make a dream theme of a show cool. Bad enough for me they didn't use actual clips from the show from actors but compounded when every clip I've heard is awful as well from crappy happy hick. Get some different people and voices in the game not just one and make them exciting and darker to help ramp the excitement of the game and the zombie experience, it isn't supposed to be happy and fun, its the end of the world zombie apocalypse !!!!!

Oh and by the way that is his formal name now "Crappy Happy Hick", I will continue to campaign for him to be gone and never be allowed to do a voice on a pinball again. PLEASE!

#9 9 years ago

What are some examples of bad callouts so far?

Rob

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

Please fix the idiotic VO.

I'm reading this with my awesome southern voice impression LMAO !

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

"Insert any call out in the game from Crappy Happy Hick"

There is your answer.

#12 9 years ago

I think most of the people dragging on about the VO's have yet to play the game. Once the game was unboxed and drooling over the cabinet & playfield was over, we hit the start button and went from 0 to fun in less than 90 seconds. I've got 30+ plays on TWD; The fact that the callouts are_ ridiculous makes me laugh when I'm playing it. I'm killing zombies, that in itself is ridiculous.

I've played the game with four people so far and we all had fun every time we played it. This is a shooters game with some flow when you want it if you are accurate. Stern has done well with this game. It's going to kick #%% as the code matures.

#13 9 years ago

You people are "profiling" redneck happy hicks. What is wrong with your people? PC?

OMG, callouts are going to "ruin my life"………………WTF……..

Sounds like my children, get over it Ladies! It's called pinball browser and I've taken Ac/dc from some total crap songs into pure music gold with the browser.

If you can't picture Ned Beatty getting the ole redneck heave ho with TWD then I can't help you

Get over yourself! TWD is going kick some redneck ASS, and if you don't like it, then its your loss….

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You people are "profiling" redneck happy hicks. What is wrong with your people? PC?
OMG, callouts are going to "ruin my life"………………WTF……..
Sounds like my children, get over it Ladies! It's called pinball browser and I've taken Ac/dc from some total crap songs into pure music gold with the browser.
If you can't picture Ned Beatty getting the ole redneck heave ho with TWD then I can't help you
Get over yourself! TWD is going kick some redneck ASS, and if you don't like it, then its your loss….

If a car manufacturer made all of their models hot pink with aqua blue stripes, and gave them all baseball bats instead of steering wheels, and customers were upset about it, by your logic, they should just "get over it". And if they don't like it, just repaint the car and replace the baseball bat with a steering wheel yourself. Just accept whatever they give you, or change it yourself, regardless of how stupid ass their choices are.

This is 5-8k purchase. Customers deserve the whole product be well done. Calling people who disagree with major parts of the game "ladies" adds little to the discussion.

#15 9 years ago

At the end of the day we all make our own choices - both the customer and the vendor. If you don't like it don't buy it. If STERN goes out of business because they have voice overs with a southern drawl in their pinball machines, well then I guess they'll have learned their lesson. We don't "deserve" anything - STERN doesn't owe us anything. Not sure why everyone is feeling so entitled.

Essentially everyone is asking STERN to gamble on if the cost to make new call outs will be less than the operating income generated by more sales because of it. A few opinionated people repeating their dislike on pinside does not necessarily constitute reality.

More than anything I think people, myself included, get frustrated coming online and seeing the exact same posts over and over and over and over regarding something they don't like as compared to stepping up and offering a new opinion with some substance behind it - good or bad.

#16 9 years ago

That's just it, they won't go out of business. In the last couple of years they have made what are some of the best pinballs to date. I have played a lot of pinball but Met Pre was something special and since when is every game a hit. B/W's certainly did not release a hit game every time so lets just relax and remember the biggest factor which is you don't have to buy it. It's like the TBL which I'm sure is going to have great call outs but they would make me insane after a few 100 games or so, that happens with most pins I've owned.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

At the end of the day we all make our own choices - both the customer and the vendor. If you don't like it don't buy it. If STERN goes out of business because they have voice overs with a southern drawl in their pinball machines, well then I guess they'll have learned their lesson. We don't "deserve" anything - STERN doesn't owe us anything. Not sure why everyone is feeling so entitled.
Essentially everyone is asking STERN to gamble on if the cost to make new call outs will be less than the operating income generated by more sales because of it. A few opinionated people repeating their dislike on pinside does not necessarily constitute reality.
More than anything I think people, myself included, get frustrated coming online and seeing the exact same posts over and over and over and over regarding something they don't like as compared to stepping up and offering a new opinion with some substance behind it - good or bad.

Yes this exactly ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Man those "voices should be from the show" people are really wearing me out. It's always the same five people too, over and over and over again.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I actually agree with you, we will vote with our wallets that's true, but aren't you forgetting something? This is a pinball forum for goodness sakes, all this stuff is fair game, just like you expressing your frustration with other people posting about their frustrations. As long as it's not trollish behavior of course. I love the topic drain feature myself, if I see something that's just outlived it's usefulness I just drained it and move on to the next topic.

#19 9 years ago

No, come on, capitalism/industrialism doesn't work, just ask anyone currently in grade school through college, they'll spout off a thousand reasons we're bad for thinking that it does.

#20 9 years ago

Wrong thread

Post edited by appeac: This thread not for gameplay discussion

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Yes this exactly ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Man those "voices should be from the show" people are really wearing me out. It's always the same five people too, over and over and over again.

And the same 5 pumpers raising the roof and thumbs downing every post! So great point but back at ya.

fist-pump.jpgfist-pump.jpg

#22 9 years ago

Thanks for the sage advice.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

We Don't talk like that Down Here .....

Down where? NORTH Carolina? Ha!

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Thank you, well put!

#25 9 years ago

Great review.

#26 9 years ago

I have to ask myself, if I dropped this much money on a pinball, and someone close to me unfortunately died, am I going to want to look at corpses in my game room? Yes cool show but I can turn my tv off and forget about it. The big AMC logo looks cheesy, but I guess it was mandated to secure the licensing deal. Congrats Stern on a brave and bold offering though.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from MysticPinball:

I have to ask myself, if I dropped this much money on a pinball, and someone close to me unfortunately died, am I going to want to look at corpses in my game room? Yes cool show but I can turn my tv off and forget about it. The big AMC logo looks cheesy, but I guess it was mandated to secure the licensing deal. Congrats Stern on a brave and bold offering though.

My mom died in 2007. I still am a huge zombie fan, soooo....
Not sure where you're going with this.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

If a car manufacturer made all of their models hot pink with aqua blue stripes, and gave them all baseball bats instead of steering wheels, and customers were upset about it, by your logic, they should just "get over it". And if they don't like it, just repaint the car and replace the baseball bat with a steering wheel yourself. Just accept whatever they give you, or change it yourself, regardless of how stupid ass their choices are.
This is 5-8k purchase. Customers deserve the whole product be well done. Calling people who disagree with major parts of the game "ladies" adds little to the discussion.

Don't like the "whole product", don't buy it "Ladies"……….

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Don't like the "whole product", don't buy it "Ladies"……….

Class.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's called pinball browser and I've taken Ac/dc from some total crap songs

AC/DC has no crap songs

#31 9 years ago

Guess you don't play the "war machine" mode much then

Still itching to get a go on TWD as I've pre-ordered the limited version pretty much on theme alone so fingers crossed I haven't just bought a turd (Over $11,000 in the UK - gulp)

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from johngravenews:

Guess you don't play the "war machine" mode much then
Still itching to get a go on TWD as I've pre-ordered the limited version pretty much on theme alone so fingers crossed I haven't just bought a turd (Over $11,000 in the UK - gulp)

I no way is this machine a turd.

#33 9 years ago

I'm only buying this one because of the voice overs. image.jpgimage.jpg

Gonna make a spittoon for the topper. It's gonna be sweet!

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from AbacusMan:

I'm only buying this one because of the voice overs.

But yet your avatar is big buck hunter...

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

But yet your Avatar is big buck hunter...

...Which is the Mother-Of-All-Pins. Don't ever criticize the Great BBH...

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

...Which is the Mother-Of-All-Pins. Don't ever criticize the Great BBH...

I'm.not criticizing it, I'm saying it's kind of strange to give TWD crap when BBH has southern United States voice acting in it too. It's like people don't know TWD TV show takes place in the southern United States.

#37 9 years ago

Some things done southern are cool !!!!

Someone put this into the game with pinball browser for the multiball modes please.

#38 9 years ago

I might have to buy two TWD after watching those videos.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from MysticPinball:

I have to ask myself, if...someone close to me unfortunately died, am I going to want to look at corpses in my game room?

I totally get that. My mom was killed in a car accident in 2003, and for a long time after that I would feel sick when I saw representations of death and decay (even in cartoons!). I'm with you: I wouldn't want this pin around during a period of grief, especially since pinball is about dealing with life's stresses.

I'm not a zombie fan, but the game is intriguing. And yes, I've watched TWD. I can see why people are into it, but I prefer drama with some hope of a positive conclusion. Nothing wrong with any of it, and Stern should be congratulated for their boldness. I may still buy the pin someday.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from AbacusMan:

I'm only buying this one because of the voice overs.

image.jpg 26 KB

Hell yes Abacus! As a BBH freak, I'm sure you already have a spitoon/beer cup holder combo I love it.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

AC/DC has no crap songs

Come on Flanker, I know you can come up with a few replacements there!

My three favorites are Thunder Road, Don't Look Back and Hit Me with Your Best Shot

#42 9 years ago

Review sounds a little like a scripted commercial...(negatives: green start button and I got an airball!) but maybe the guy just really likes it. Which is a good thing.

#43 9 years ago

I had a chance to play the Pro a few dozen times this weekend at the Pinball Circus (and on free play!!!). The first thing that stands out is the amazing colors (or lack there of). I absolutely love that they used just plain white super bright LED bulbs in 95% of the game. This mixed with the overall brown playfield really looks good (I know it sounds drab, but trust me that in person this is an exceptionally beautiful game). The ramps are crystal clear and I love how they exit the playfield and disappear behind the back-box for a moment. The game plays very smooth and has several great ramp shots. The big zombie to shoot at on the playfield isn't my favorite, but is ok for the game. The prison toy on the top center looks amazing when lit up, but I was underwhelmed that when the doors swing open that there is just a small zombie head to shoot at. Basically it's like shooting Sparky in Metallica, but slightly harder. The music is the creepy Walking Dead theme songs which is nice. This would really be a spooky machine to play alone in a dark basement. Overall, I was very impressed with this machine and those of you who have ordered it will enjoy it.

#44 9 years ago

I played TWD pro a few times at The Arcade in Brighton Michigan a couple of days ago while on a road trip. I was concerned at first about the voice overs, but honestly, while playing, they didn't bother me. I liked the layout a lot. The ball coming out of the pops and heading to the left looked like it might go down the middle a few times, but I was able to save it pretty much every time. The walking dead music and sounds effects and the motion of the ball on the playfield (it moves pretty quick most of the time) made for some pretty tense and exciting gameplay, IMO. I don't think the well walker was that bad as far as size and visibility goes, but he does make a shot to the prison from the right flipper VERY tight. The only thing that I thought could possibly be better was the walker head inside the prison doors. The doors open and there's a pretty big walker head inside (in comparison to the prison building). I just wonder if something better could have been done there. What? I have no idea. I just wonder. I had a fun time playing it the 3 times I played it. More fun each time actually, which is a good sign. I'm sure this will only get better as code advances. I think you folks with pros and LEs on order are gonna be pretty darn happy with this one.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

The only thing that I thought could possibly be better was the walker head inside the prison doors. The doors open and there's a pretty big walker head inside (in comparison to the prison building). I just wonder if something better could have been done there.

My gut tells me that Borg had much bigger plans for the prison, but he was forced to scrap them. It's easy to assume that is was done for budgetary reasons, by I'm guessing it was due to time constraints. I've heard from some reliable sources that the game was pushed up in the schedule when MMr got delayed. Stern was left in a position where they needed to build something to keep the line moving. That's why they decided to run IM VE, and why they followed right after with TWD, even though it wasn't quite complete. I could be way off the mark, but that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

#46 9 years ago

Walker head in barn was a bom decision. I thought John had a zombie target originally designed in there.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Walker head in barn was a bom decision. I thought John had a zombie target originally designed in there.

It should have been a zombie vari-target that revealed a physical ball lock when you hit it all the way back. Kind of like how the vari-targets on Safe Cracker and RBION work. That would have been awesome!

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

"That Zombie's got guts"(well, I did actually laugh at that one the first time I heard it)
"Well Hell, looks like we got us a splitter"
"Prison Yard Multi-ball" sounds like it came straight from BBH.

I will say this about the voice calls. I am a huge fan of the show. The call outs are not that loud compared to the music and sound effects. Therefore, not as nerve grating as I thought they might be. The voice calls will not make or break the game-play. The game-play is pretty solid right now. They will however, deter a lot of potential buyers, including myself.

#49 9 years ago

First off, to clarify, my family (4 kids) are huge TWD fans since day one. We have watched every episode and love the show. When I heard that Stern got the license and was making TWD, I immediately considered my HUO LOTR the next to go.

Well, I got the family to stop by The Arcade in Brighton today. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this venue, it is probably the premier pinball stop in Michigan IMHO. Tons of games from the 1970's forward.

Front and center at The Arcade was a spanking new TWD Pro. A bit of a line so we took our time and played several other games. I made sure the family played a TFTC (The Arcade has a very nice one), a previous Borg horror title, to draw some comparisons. The Cryptkeeper laughs were going full tilt for close to 45 minutes before we got to TWD.

We loaded up TWD with tokens and started to give it a whirl. As my kids started playing it, I took a good look at the art package. The zombies were cool and it does have a bit of a monochrome effect similar to Centaur. I was not blown away, but it was well done. Next thing you know the comments started in. "Dad, what does the fat zombie do?", "Dad, the head behind the doors looks kind of dumb". I'm like, OK, OK, let me try.

My wife and I load up a few games and start playing it. My wife is a first impression player and walked away after one game. "I'm going to go play Star Trek" she said. As she walked away, she said "Don't sell LOTR, for that..."

I played a few more games and I just couldn't connect with it. The shots are decent, but nothing that satisfying. The DMD animations are great....for DMD animations (Yes, I have a WOZ in my collection).

Well, by the end of the visit, everyone like TFTC better and we decided that LOTR isn't going anywhere soon.

I really wish Stern would have knocked this one out of the park. Maybe the LE will be the one to have.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It should have been a zombie vari-target that revealed a physical ball lock when you hit it all the way back. Kind of like how the vari-targets on Safe Cracker and RBION work. That would have been awesome!

Now there's an idea! That would have indeed been awesome!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 26.95
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-walking-dead-pinball-first-impressions-review-of-twd-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.