(Topic ID: 102759)

The first Walking Dead photos (now with higher res pics) ...

By gweempose

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,339 posts
  • 352 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by kmk68sin
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-59.jpg
TWDWaiting-.JPG
TWDWaiting.JPG
image-824.jpg
image-108.jpg
review_wdzombies_5.jpg
review_wdzombies_3.jpg
MF14450AAlg.jpg
daryl-dixon-like-a-boss.jpg
image.jpg
le-detail3.jpg
le-detail2.jpg
le-detail1.jpg
twd-well-zombie.jpg
TWD-LE-Playfield.jpg
TWD-Pro-Playfield.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gweempose.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Update: High-res photos (courtesy of Aurich) added to the bottom of this post.

Stern has released the first photos of The Walking Dead. The game looks pretty awesome! The first set of photos is the pro, and the LE photos start with the photo of the different cabinet. I like the art package more on the pro, but the playfield features on the LE look damn fun!

TWD #1.jpgTWD #1.jpg
TWD #2.jpgTWD #2.jpg
TWD #3.jpgTWD #3.jpg
TWD #4.jpgTWD #4.jpg
TWD #5.jpgTWD #5.jpg
TWD #6.jpgTWD #6.jpg
TWD #7.jpgTWD #7.jpg
TWD #8.jpgTWD #8.jpg
TWD #9.jpgTWD #9.jpg
TWD #10.jpgTWD #10.jpg
TWD #11.jpgTWD #11.jpg
TWD #12.jpgTWD #12.jpg
TWD #13.jpgTWD #13.jpg
TWD #14.jpgTWD #14.jpg
TWD #15.jpgTWD #15.jpg
TWD #16.jpgTWD #16.jpg
TWD #17.jpgTWD #17.jpg
TWD #18.jpgTWD #18.jpg
TWD #19.jpgTWD #19.jpg
TWD #20.jpgTWD #20.jpg
TWDLE.pngTWDLE.png
TWDLE #1.jpgTWDLE #1.jpg
TWDLE #2.jpgTWDLE #2.jpg
TWDLE #3.jpgTWDLE #3.jpg
TWDLE #4.jpgTWDLE #4.jpg
TWDLE #5.jpgTWDLE #5.jpg
TWDLE #6.jpgTWDLE #6.jpg
TWDLE #7.jpgTWDLE #7.jpg
TWDLE #8.jpgTWDLE #8.jpg
TWDLE #9.jpgTWDLE #9.jpg
TWDLE #10.jpgTWDLE #10.jpg
TWDLE #11.jpgTWDLE #11.jpg
TWDLE #12.jpgTWDLE #12.jpg
TWDLE #13.jpgTWDLE #13.jpg
TWDLE #14.jpgTWDLE #14.jpg
TWDLE #15.jpgTWDLE #15.jpg
TWDLE #16.jpgTWDLE #16.jpg
TWDLE #17.jpgTWDLE #17.jpg
TWDLE #18.jpgTWDLE #18.jpg
TWDLE #19.jpgTWDLE #19.jpg
TWDLE #20.jpgTWDLE #20.jpg

twd-cabs-980x789.jpgtwd-cabs-980x789.jpg
twd-translite-backglass.jpgtwd-translite-backglass.jpg
TWD-Pro-Playfield.jpgTWD-Pro-Playfield.jpg
TWD-LE-Playfield.jpgTWD-LE-Playfield.jpg
twd-well-zombie.jpgtwd-well-zombie.jpg
le-detail1.jpgle-detail1.jpg
le-detail2.jpgle-detail2.jpg
le-detail3.jpgle-detail3.jpg

#13 9 years ago

It's got star rollovers. We haven't seen those on a game in years.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Great job, Stern! Great first impression! Looks like you're knocking this one out of the park!

Agreed. Best art package we've seen in a long time.

#51 9 years ago

I just updated the first post and added pics of the LE.

#87 9 years ago

Star trek LE for sale .... $5,700.

#472 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

And on top of that ... Stern hasn't even announced how many LE's they are making!!

Yes they did. It's 600.

#539 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Still refuse to pay over 6k for a "full" version. You guys buy it first, then when the next game comes out i'll buy yours for sub 6k.

That's kind if what I'm thinking as well. The code will be mature by then too. If the game turns out to be great, I doubt we'll see LE's selling for under $6K any time soon, but it's unlikely they will skyrocket in value.

#544 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Borg + Lyman + Cool artwork + Cool theme + No Premium (as far as we know)

Therein lies the key. If there really isn't a premium, I agree that the LE's should hold their value. I have trouble believing that Stern won't make a premium, though, if the game is a huge hit. One has to look no further than Luci to realize that Stern has no problem pissing off customers if the move will net them some nice profits. I agree with your argument about them not making a Tron premium, but this would be different. TWD was introduced in a post-premium world, so buyers should proceed with caution.

All of this, of course, assumes that the game will be f***ing awesome. If it isn't, this whole conversation is moot.

#550 9 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

Wonder about the music and SFX.

I assume Thiel is doing the music, so I'm not worried in the least. The guy is damn good at his job!

#556 9 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I understand the thinking that introducing a premium from the start would subtract from LE buyers, but at the same time there are probably a number of pro buyers that would have sprung for a premium. Seems like it would be a wash. Pissing off customers with a different premium art package isn't as bad as introducing a whole new model after the fact. Normally I'd agree that they'd figure out a way to make the most money, but am having a hard time seeing how they would pull it off this time.

Hey, I hope you're right. In my opinion, if they introduce only two models at launch, they should stick to only two models. Releasing a premium after the fact would be a dick move. That being said, it wouldn't necessarily surprise me.

#557 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No he's not...new guy's on it. Thiel is doing JJP's pins now.

#629 9 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Is it just me? But aren't those magnets larger than normal?

It almost looks like they have Cliffy-like protectors around them from the factory. If so, that's a smart move by Stern.

#655 9 years ago

Here's why I personally think there will be a premium. From a financial standpoint, it simply makes no sense not to have one. Stern has to be thinking this will be a HUGE seller for them, and here's why ...

1 - It's a license that collectors have been clamoring for for years.
2 - It's a license with enormous worldwide recognition.
3 - The combination of Borg and Lyman has yielded some of Stern's most popular games to date.

Given these facts, why would Stern limit their market by not offering a premium? They've sold a gazillion AC/DC premiums, and it's safe to assume they would do the same with TWD premiums. To me, the fact that they gimped the pro so much practically tips their hand that a premium is coming. If they truly had no intention of ever making a premium, the pro would be way less stripped.

Who knows, I could be wrong, but my gut tells me that a premium is coming down the pipe. I'm not sure why they didn't announce at least the possibility of a premium at launch. I'll admit that this was an odd decision, but it doesn't change my core belief that Stern would make much more money in the long run by offering a premium version of this title.

#663 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

I just spoke to my distributor after putting the deposit down on an LE. We spoke about them making a premium, and I was told that there will probably never be another premium made. With the conception of the Volt Edition, there's no need to have to spend money up front on producing a premium for a pinball that might not sell. If it's a winner, a Walking Dead vault edition will be announced

They can call it whatever they want, but the fact remains that if there is a market for it, Stern will build it.

#667 9 years ago

One thing that nobody can deny, the excitement for this game is palpable. I don't think we have had this many people salivating over the initial pics of a game since Tron.

#669 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Is it just me, or is this one of the first pins in ages that doesn't have a scoop?

One less Cliffy to worry about.

#684 9 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I still have to ask, what will be the difference in a Prem vs LE? The number badge? Prem cuts into the LE sales, in theory.

ST premium didn't prevent them from selling all the STLE's, and there were 800 of those. I can't imaging Stern would have had any problems selling 600 TWDLE's, even if they had announced a premium model upfront. That's why their decision not to do so is so perplexing.

#697 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

The point of the premium is to have fully featured game available for as many sales as possible . That's why we want it!
Make the Les in smaller numbers and truly collectible and make a fully featured game that can be sold as long as sales allow.
How does that not make sense?

Exactly. When they first announced that AC/DC would have a premium model, everyone rejoiced. It was exactly what the community wanted; an non-collectible version of the game with an unlimited run, but the same features as the LE's. I really don't understand why Stern didn't continue this 3-tiered approach with every game going forward. All they have to do is put an asterisk next to the premium model that says *pending demand.

#702 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

MET LE had more salivating than this or Tron.

Did it? I didn't really follow those early MET threads, as I had absolutely no interest in the pin at that point in time. It's certainly no coincidence that all three of these are Borg/Lyman games.

#940 9 years ago
Quoted from ronlisa:

Here's a good pic of the LE cabinet from the site that pascal pinball found

Thanks! Now that we can see the LE art package better, I like it more than I first did. I still prefer the red motif of the pro art, but the LE is actually pretty cool.

#942 9 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Why though do Stern use those horrible cheap looking pop bumper caps??

So the modders will have something to do ...

#944 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

3 zombie heads on the bumpers with them making zombie sounds as the ball bounced between the pops would have been pretty cool.

True, but the three zombie heads in the fishtank are even cooler!

#951 9 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Greg, is this what you are looking for?

No. He wants the 3D version.

#959 9 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Not to keep this off topic, but it has been heavily rumored that there will be a 3D Blu coming out later this year. I was originally hearing October, but would think it would be officially announced by now if that was happening. The "sing-along" version that was rereleased in theaters is coming out soon but on DVD only, so I'm guessing/hoping that version will be tacked on with the 3D. At this point, I'm guessing it will pop up just in time for the holidays. I really hate how Disney has been handling 3D lately, but as someone who will be suckered into double dipping, I'm sure not helping the problem. Can't blame them too much for milking this one for all it's worth I guess. LOL

Lucas was the master at this. Back when I was collecting laserdiscs, it used to annoy the f*ck out of me how they would keep releasing new versions of the Star Wars films. First the regular edition, then the widescreen edition, then the Special Collector's edition, then the EXTRA Special Collector's edition, then the remastered edition with the new special effects .... It never ended.

#961 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I think I've had 40 different versions of T2.

Cameron is another one of those people who knows how to milk every last dollar from his fans. Pan and scan, widescreen, Director's cut ... I bought them all.

#979 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'll start a new post so it's not just buried on page 20, but I got my article up here:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/09/got-bit-fever-hit-the-walking-dead-pinball-shambles-into-game-rooms/
Some really big high rez images in that gallery of the Pro and LE playfields and cabs. Just click to enlarge them in a new window, I uploaded them pretty big, you can see a ton of detail.

Those photos are great! Thanks, Aurich!

Looking at the high res photos, I definitely prefer the backglass on the LE over the pro. It's essentially the same artwork, but in color instead of b&w.

#981 9 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Has anyone noticed the ball's path during the plunge? That's unique.

The star rollovers must be the skill shot.

#985 9 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

I'm a little worried about the action of the ball if you hit the skill shot without passing the gate. Is it going to just dribble back down and slowly roll toward the right slingshot?

Depending on the speed, it looks like it could bounce off the one way gate and go into the pops.

#986 9 years ago

With the high resolution playfield photo, you can really see how cool some of the artwork is. I love the train tracks leading into the tunnel with the "Terminus" sign above.

#1017 9 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Hey Gweem - can you keep the first post up to date with updates? I can't keep up with this thread!

Sure, but other than the newer high-res photos that Aurich provided, I'm not sure there's much to add at this point.

#1088 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

The big, big problem for me is (no..not the $$$) the LACK of COMPLETED code upon release.

This would honestly be the last thing I would worry about with Lyman at the helm. Seriously, the guy always comes through. Not only is he Stern's best programmer by far, but he is also a perfectionist. That's why games like AC/DC and Tron have received updates years later. The guy has a lot on his plate, and it sometimes may take him a while to finish the code to his liking, but I have no doubt that TWD will ultimately have a phenomenally fun ruleset. There is simply no other programmer on the planet that I have this much faith in.

#1092 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballn00b:

I haven't been on here in a while. I had to sell both of my pinballs due to financial troubles in the past. Now I am back on my feet and ready to start over, hopefully with this pin. Is this still possible to preorder, and can anyone recommend me a good place to put a deposit down? I live in the north east. I have no problems waiting but I would think buying this nib will be the cheapest I will ever find it again right?

Are you talking about the LE or the pro? If you're in the market for a pro, I see absolutely no reason to pre-order at all.

#1110 9 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Lyman was writing code for Data East over 20 years ago. The bigger picture is that Lyman is a top ranked player and is still actively in the tournament scene, so he cares and knows what makes for great rule sets.

This is what sets Lyman and Keefer apart from the pack. They are both hardcore players with decades of experience. Because of this, they have a fundamental understanding of what's fun and what isn't. It's second nature to them.

#1178 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm personally not looking to buy TWD. I'm tapped for big pin purchases, made too many recently (see aforementioned Sterns, they were pretty back to back to back) but I am sorry if I have the funds later there isn't a Premium option available to me.

Fret not. The odds are pretty good that HUO LE's will be available for way less than what they went for NIB. As someone who ordered an LE, I hope I'm wrong, but history isn't on my side.

#1217 9 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

Yes if there is a horde multiball the more the merrier. I do understand some people liking 3 or 4 only but horde multiball would scream for at least 6

If you're going to faithfully recreate the frenzy of the scene where Rick first goes into Atlanta, you would need about 50 balls.

#1238 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Second, the head inside the prison doors is just wrong. Maybe it is because I am an engineer and anal, but the scale is wrong. Aside from a couple of a-holes who I work with, no one has a head as big as a double door.

You could always just swap it out for Mick on a stick instead ...

#1265 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Sorry if this has been asked, but why does the LE have a smaller copper looking magnet in the main magnet?

I think it's just for looks. I'm sure it's functionally the same as the silver one on the pro.

#1269 9 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

I'll give you that as well. For that matter AC/DC is original but the art on MET is the hand drawn art look and not the photoshop look. I'd be willing to bet Aurich is using that in his thought process.

Exactly. If MET didn't physically say "Metallica" anywhere on the game, many people would just assume it was a generic monster theme.

#1274 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Didn't Gomez (or someone) say something about an improved magnet design?

He was probably referring to the added metal ring around the magnet core. This should reduce playfield wear.

#1278 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

This was what I thought when I looked at it. I'm not sure how magnets wear the playfield, but I'd they were able to upgrade/modify the magnet to reduce wear, good on Stern!

The playfield tends to wear around a magnet because the ball is continuously coming to a screeching halt right at that spot.

#1301 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

... looks like Stern cost cuttings short circuited what could have been a top ten pin.

It's too early to say that, but I agree that Borg was probably forced to make some concessions for cost cutting purposes. I suspect that he had much cooler plans for the jail.

#1313 9 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

The toys seem alright but they could have done a bit more. At least make the zombie head in the barn a vario-target or series of inline drops. Basically, the game seems to have just one bash toy and a stand up target with opening doors in front of it.

Like I said before, the jail seems like it fell victim to cost cutting. I really like your vari-target idea. It would have been really cool if you smash that sucker back a few times and then the ball falls below and locks. A subway could have then taken the balls to a VUK that would be used to put them back into play during multiball.

#1316 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Then the announcer guy spoke...lol.

I have a feeling a lot of these early callouts are going to quickly go the way of "Bum bum bum bum ... Tron!"

#1322 9 years ago

I'm not so sure my wife is going to be thrilled when she sees that match sequence. Then again, she probably won't be very happy when I tell her I ordered the game in the first place.

#1328 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Especially since you're at max capacity already. Or does something have to go?

Something definitely has to go. Either one of the games, or me.

#1337 9 years ago

I'm going to play devil's advocate for second. When I first heard that they were considering making a Walking Dead pin, I was super excited, but I was also a bit worried about how the theme would lend itself to pinball. It's a pretty darn somber show, and I just couldn't envision how they could turn those story lines into an exciting and cohesive pinball game. Well, it looks like Stern didn't even try, and perhaps that's a good thing. Instead of following the characters in the show, they turned the game into more of a frenetic zombie attack scenario set within the Walking Dead world. I can understand the logic behind this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Moravia, NY
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gweempose.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-walking-dead-photos?tu=gweempose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.