(Topic ID: 102759)

The first Walking Dead photos (now with higher res pics) ...

By gweempose

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,339 posts
  • 352 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by kmk68sin
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-59.jpg
TWDWaiting-.JPG
TWDWaiting.JPG
image-824.jpg
image-108.jpg
review_wdzombies_5.jpg
review_wdzombies_3.jpg
MF14450AAlg.jpg
daryl-dixon-like-a-boss.jpg
image.jpg
le-detail3.jpg
le-detail2.jpg
le-detail1.jpg
twd-well-zombie.jpg
TWD-LE-Playfield.jpg
TWD-Pro-Playfield.jpg

There are 1,339 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 27.
#1301 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

... looks like Stern cost cuttings short circuited what could have been a top ten pin.

It's too early to say that, but I agree that Borg was probably forced to make some concessions for cost cutting purposes. I suspect that he had much cooler plans for the jail.

#1302 9 years ago

funny we talk about cost cutting maybe a Hondo or less on an 8k le pin, huh?

#1303 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

We enjoy our "soaps" because they have a veneer of zombie gore covering them. Just like all the other premium cable soaps with similar sugar coatings to let us enjoy swallowing them.
So yes, they're props. But it's also what we want on our pinball I suspect. Not a bunch of people talking and having dramatic moments. EPIC ARGUMENT MULTIBALL!!

I'm chuckling at this because I joke to my wife every night: "I'm going down to the basement now to watch my zombie stories". There's definitely a soap opera element to it.

But just to have a friendly argument on this point, consider LOTR (the pin). Sure, there are Orcs and a Balrog, but what really makes LOTR a beloved pin are the callouts from Gimli, and hearing speech that takes you back to a specific scene from the Trilogy. To really take TWD to the same level there should be a mode for that scene in the RR tunnel where they mow down a bunch of zombies, and Maggie and Glenn are reunited. If you win the mode, Maggie says "You won't need a picture of me ever again." Maybe that's too sappy, but there are better examples. Herschel is really the Gandalf of the bunch, and to omit his speech from the game would be criminal.

#1304 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Next it seems like a missed opportunity to have a bash toy behind the prison doors...the head is not proportionate to the prison, a spinning disc or a Yagov kickback would have been much better, or an alternative for the must have zombie crowd would be if the prison doors opened and then there a wellwalker like zombie behind it.

Yea, even in Stern's low times, they put a more interactive house in "24". The LE should have the feel of a complete feature set that everyone feels lacking in the Pro.

#1305 9 years ago

You don't need a soap opera, but modes that tie to the dozens of memorable action, zombie filled story lines in the show would be good. Along with actual voice out takes. I can only take so much of zombies chewing on arms and intestines on the display, bash the zombie figure, bash the zombie heads and generic call outs. I'm still hopeful given Lyman, great art and an interesting layout, but can't help but be disappointed with the initial video.

#1306 9 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

You don't need a soap opera, but modes that tie to the dozens of memorable action, zombie filled story lines in the show would be good.

I don't think Lyman is known for his deep mode based rule sets. Instead, he brings depth to his games by creating complex scoring opportunities. Lot's of people seem to love this style of game, I appear to be in the minority of not liking it so much.

#1307 9 years ago

Well, I am dissapointed in the initial vid. Generic voices, seemingly boring dots, no soundtrack that I could really hear. I guess we shall see...

#1308 9 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Well, I am dissapointed in the initial vid. Generic voices, seemingly boring dots, no soundtrack that I could really hear. I guess we shall see...

Hmmm
dots and soundtrack look and sound great!

#1309 9 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

seemingly boring dots

We must have been looking at different dots. There are zombies eating a guy alive while he thrashes, what exactly were you hoping to see?

#1310 9 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

You don't need a soap opera, but modes that tie to the dozens of memorable action, zombie filled story lines in the show would be good. Along with actual voice out takes. I can only take so much of zombies chewing on arms and intestines on the display, bash the zombie figure, bash the zombie heads and generic call outs. I'm still hopeful given Lyman, great art and an interesting layout, but can't help but be disappointed with the initial video.

Quoted from Aurich:

We must have been looking at different dots. There are zombies eating a guy alive while he thrashes, what exactly were you hoping to see?

Too many people think like Lizzy.

Look at the flowers.......

#1311 9 years ago

I am trying to keep my chin up on this and will give it a fair shake when I play it in person. I am hoping that at least one of the stars of the show steps up and does callouts similar to Carl Urban did in Star Trek. I am a pretty big fan of the show so even if someone like Steven Yeun, Michael Rooker, or David Morrisey would make the game much more appealing.

The music sounds pretty good to me. It has a familiar tone and the main theme music seems integrated well.

The toys seem alright but they could have done a bit more. At least make the zombie head in the barn a vario-target or series of inline drops. Basically, the game seems to have just one bash toy and a stand up target with opening doors in front of it.

The dots? I've expressed it before and its time to move on from the DMD. Not a total deal killer for me, but TWD deserves full color 1080p (queue the "I never look up when playing, lets go back to score reels" people). Even the original House of the Dead arcade game from 1996 has better looking zombie graphics.

Maybe my hopes are too high.

#1313 9 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

The toys seem alright but they could have done a bit more. At least make the zombie head in the barn a vario-target or series of inline drops. Basically, the game seems to have just one bash toy and a stand up target with opening doors in front of it.

Like I said before, the jail seems like it fell victim to cost cutting. I really like your vari-target idea. It would have been really cool if you smash that sucker back a few times and then the ball falls below and locks. A subway could have then taken the balls to a VUK that would be used to put them back into play during multiball.

#1314 9 years ago

Nice video. The game certainly shows better when you hear just the sounds from the game alone versus other pins audio. The match animation is awesome. Then the announcer guy spoke...ugh. Help us Norman Reedus with your custom voice work...you're are only hope, lol.

#1315 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Like I said before, the jail seems like it fell victim to cost cutting. I really like your vari-target idea. It would have been really cool if you smash that sucker back a few times and then the ball falls below and locks. A subway could have then taken the balls to a VUK that would be used to put them back into play during multiball.

Yeah I agree. Heck I would have been fine with them just ripping off MET and having 3 zombie shaped drops and then the big head you have to bash.

I'm still in and still excited about getting it home, but man the one thing that bugs me at this point is the voice over guy they chose.

#1316 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Then the announcer guy spoke...lol.

I have a feeling a lot of these early callouts are going to quickly go the way of "Bum bum bum bum ... Tron!"

#1317 9 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

Yeah I agree. Heck I would have been fine with them just ripping off MET and having 3 zombie shaped drops and then the big head you have to bash.
I'm still in and still excited about getting it home, but man the one thing that bugs me at this point is the voice over guy they chose.

That would have been awesome. Maybe the toy could have had 4 in line zombie head drops with a scoop behind the last one (ball lock) representing the 5 windows on the prison toy. Each time a drop is hit a window lights up with the middle window lighting up when the scoop is hit. Mutiball would then start. A difficulty setting could be changed to require the entire sequence be done 3 (lock 3 balls) to start multiball. We can dream

#1318 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The match animation is awesome. Then the announcer guy spoke...ugh.

Agree, match sequence is surprising in how gory Stern made it. The call out at the end "play again, there's more Walkers to kill out there" was just terrible.

#1319 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Herschel is really the Gandalf of the bunch, and to omit his speech from the game would be criminal.

Well lock them up, because they will not be in there. None of them will.

#1320 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That would have been awesome. Maybe the toy could have had 4 in line zombie head drops with a saucer behind the last one representing the 5 windows on the prison toy. Each time a drop is hit a window lights up.

Yup, that's definitely better than what they came up with.

How does that happen I wonder? OK, let's put this massive piece on the playfield with opening doors! And then let's just put a big giant disembodied head in there!!!!

While I like the copy MET idea I'm sure had they done it everyone would scream that they just copied MET, so this is what we get. lol

I'm good with everything they've done because the game is fantastic looking, but the voice over guy every time I hear him I feel like he wants to say..."Prison Multiball!" "Hi five!!!!" Where's Carol when we need her?
Seriously why can't this game have an Easter Egg where Carol tells him to look at the flowers, gunshot and then Daryl or Merle do the call outs from there out?

#1321 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Agree, match sequence is surprising in how gory Stern made it. The call out at the end "play again, there's more Walkers to kill out there" was just terrible.

I thought the same thing about the match sequence. I was thinking "damn, that's gross, but awesome!" haha. That has to be some of the best dot work I've ever seen.

#1322 9 years ago

I'm not so sure my wife is going to be thrilled when she sees that match sequence. Then again, she probably won't be very happy when I tell her I ordered the game in the first place.

#1323 9 years ago

Really unimpressed with what I saw in the video and not sure where the improvement is going to come in the LE. Lyman has his work cut out for him.

#1324 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Lyman has his work cut out for him.

I think you mean the sound guy. I could be mistaken, but it sounded like he wasn't allowed to use any of the show's music directly (like David Thiel did in CSI to great effect). So instead we have this music that's sort of like the show's theme music, but not really...yuck. And of course the lack of character voices totally sucks. Then the icing on the cake is the announcer, who is really bad. Nobody I know here in Georgia talks like that, and if they did I would not hang out with them. If Stern can't get at least one of the actors or actresses to do speech for this game, or at least use clips from the show, I won't be owning it.

Post edited by swampfire: I didn't realize Stern lost David Thiel!

#1325 9 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

seemingly boring dots

Not sure where this comes from either. Dots are some of the best I've seen for sure.

Prison is a huge lost opportunity. It's a bash toy that opens its doors to become...a bash toy. Which is accompanied by the well walker bash toy and on the LE, the bicycle girl bash toy.

This was a dream theme for me, as was Star Trek. I pre-ordered and rode the wave with STLE, but I never really felt nervous or discouraged along the way. It always seemed cool enough that I didn't lose faith. I don't feel the same here. I'm not saying it definitely won't be good, but I've lost my mojo on the LE pre-order and will almost certainly back down to a wait and see (read: more logical) position.

I'm super disappointed since I was initially so excited about the theme, but I'm just not feeling it any more. I'm fully prepared to jump into a HUO LE a year from now if things turn out great, but there just isn't anything there now that makes me compelled to stay in on a leap of faith the way I did with STLE.

#1326 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I think you mean the sound guy. I could be mistaken, but it sounded like he wasn't allowed to use any of the show's music directly (like David Thiel did in CSI to great effect). So instead we have this music that's sort of like the show's theme music, but not really...yuck. And of course the lack of character voices totally sucks. Then the icing on the cake is the announcer, who is really bad. Nobody I know here in Georgia talks like that, and if they did I would not hang out with them. If Stern can't get at least one of the actors or actresses to do speech for this game, or at least use clips from the show, I won't be owning it.
Post edited by swampfire: I didn't realize Stern lost David Thiel!

Swampfire please stop already. I don't think anyone disagrees with you, that the pin would have more character using the actors actual voices, but HOW MANY TIMES ARE YOU GOING TO REPEAT YOURSELF???

Edit: after reading a TON of other posts, I'm the one in the minority.
Feel free to continue to complain about the call outs!

#1327 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm not so sure my wife is going to be thrilled when she sees that match sequence. Then again, she probably won't be very happy when I tell her I ordered the game in the first place.

especially since your at max capacity already. Or does something have to go?

#1328 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Especially since you're at max capacity already. Or does something have to go?

Something definitely has to go. Either one of the games, or me.

#1329 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Something definitely has to go. Either one of the games, or me.

Fine, if you want to "store" your indy 500 over here, You can. I'll hang on to it for you and the wife doesn't have to know.

#1330 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I don't think Lyman is known for his deep mode based rule sets. Instead, he brings depth to his games by creating complex scoring opportunities.

I'm not a Metallica or ACDC fan but love both games based on the outstanding rules and overall package. But as a huge TWD fan I was looking forward to not only another great Lyman rule set but a strong connection to the story. I think it's safe to say that the combination of interesting characters and relationships set in an a apocalyptic, zombie wasteland is what has made the show hugely popular. I'll personally be disappointed if the pin only has part of this equation. Like MET and ACDC I'll still buy the game if it plays great, but was hoping for a grand slam.

#1331 9 years ago

You guys need to chill. It's lyman.

#1332 9 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I'm not a Metallica or ACDC fan but love both games based on the outstanding rules and overall package. But as a huge TWD fan I was looking forward to not only another great Lyman rule set but a strong connection to the story. I think it's safe to say that the combination of interesting characters and relationships set in an a apocalyptic, zombie wasteland is what has made the show hugely popular. I'll personally be disappointed if the pin only has part of this equation. Like MET and ACDC I'll still buy the game if it plays great, but was hoping for a grand slam.

Anyone know if Lyman watches the show? I'll ask him at expo. If he's a fan of the show, you know he'll put that much more extra into it, to really get the feel of the environment. That's why TSPP and LOTR have such in depth rules. Keith is a fan of both.

#1333 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Swampfire please stop already. I don't think anyone disagrees with you, that the pin would have more character using the actors actual voices, but HOW MANY TIMES ARE YOU GOING TO REPEAT YOURSELF???
Edit: after reading a TON of other posts, I'm the one in the minority.
Feel free to continue to complain about the call outs!

It's OK, I have been beating a dead horse, so I'll stop. I'll just end with a final "what could have been" comment. John Borg and Lyman Sheats have never let me down, so I know that the layout and rules are going to be great. The art is fantastic (it took me a while to come around to that; watching the show helped). The sound effects and the dots are great. The music and speech are fatally flawed.

Done with this game for now.

#1334 9 years ago

Dude, it's a public forum you have a right to your opinion like everyone else.

#1335 9 years ago

Id take Lars and some of his terrible call outs to these call outs any day of the week. At least he has ties to the theme.

I think the match sequence is great, but I guess I didnt get wowed with the dots. Of course Ill have to play one to make a final determination, but I wont be ordering any time soon I dont think

Good luck with those who have though!

#1336 9 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

You guys need to chill. It's lyman.

Yes, but it's not David Thiel.

#1337 9 years ago

I'm going to play devil's advocate for second. When I first heard that they were considering making a Walking Dead pin, I was super excited, but I was also a bit worried about how the theme would lend itself to pinball. It's a pretty darn somber show, and I just couldn't envision how they could turn those story lines into an exciting and cohesive pinball game. Well, it looks like Stern didn't even try, and perhaps that's a good thing. Instead of following the characters in the show, they turned the game into more of a frenetic zombie attack scenario set within the Walking Dead world. I can understand the logic behind this.

#1338 9 years ago

which is the aspect I actually find appealing . I'm getting a congo style ruleset vibe from it. Which I like because that's one of the reasons I would consider getting a congo someday.

2 weeks later
#1339 9 years ago

Good news everyone!

We all have the chance to win a Walking Dead pro pinball machine. You need to enter every Sunday night for the next 7 weeks!!!!

http://deadcarpet.amctv.com/rules.html

ENTRY PERIOD CHART

Entry Period Number New Episode Date
Entry
Period
Number New
Episode
Date Entry Period Date(s)/Time(s)
#1 10/12/14 9:00:01 pm ET on 10/12/14 - 5:59:59 am ET on 10/13/14
#2 10/19/14 9:00:01 pm ET on 10/19/14 - 5:59:59 am ET on 10/20/14
#3 10/26/14 9:00:01 pm ET on 10/26/14 - 5:59:59 am ET on 10/27/14
#4 11/2/14 9:00:01 pm ET on 11/2/14 - 5:59:59 am ET on 11/3/14
#5 11/9/14 9:00:01 pm ET on 11/9/14 - 5:59:59 am ET on 11/10/14
#6 11/16/14; 9:00:01 pm ET on 11/16/14 - 5:59:59 am ET on 11/17/14
#7 11/23/14 9:00:01 pm ET on 11/23/14 - 5:59:59 am ET on 11/24/14
#8 11/30/14 9:00:01 pm ET on 11/30/14 - 5:59:59 am ET on 12/1/14

4. Weekly Prizes/Grand Prize and Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”): Weekly Prizes: Eight (8) Weekly Prizes will be awarded throughout the Sweepstakes Period (one (1) per Entry Period). Each Weekly Prize winner, once confirmed as detailed below, will one (1) The Walking Dead Pro Pinball Machine by Stern Pinball, Inc. The ARV of each Weekly Prize is $5,995.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
There are 1,339 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-walking-dead-photos/page/27 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.