image4-1.JPG
image12.JPG
image3-3.JPG
image9-1.JPG
image11-1.JPG
image7-1.JPG
image6-1.JPG
#1 8 years ago

I just got back from the VFW Pinball Show just outside Ann Arbor, MI and thought I'd post my thoughts on the show.

In a word, brilliant. If you're interested in playing the best examples of games available, the VFW is the show for you. Not only are the games in superb condition, the army of techs keep them all running in perfect condition for the whole show. No other show I've ever been to in the last 20 years has offered up the selection of games they have available, in the condition they're in, with the limited attendance allowing a level of playability unmatched anywhere else.

image13.JPGimage13.JPG

image14.JPGimage14.JPG

Row after row of nearly perfect machines in a gloriously eclectic collection spanning the 1950's to today.

Typically, most shows offer up a for-sale or vendor area, and the VFW does offer this as well in a limited fashion. I managed to pick up some basic parts thanks to Pinball Life, and there were a number of machines for sale in the out building. That said, this show is solely focused on the player experience.

For me personally, some of the exceptional games were:

image1-3.JPGimage1-3.JPG

Where has this game been hiding all these years? These late 80's Williams games seem to have dropped through the cracks for me personally until now. Excellent.

image6-1.JPGimage6-1.JPG

I used to own a Farfalla so Zaccaria isn't unknown to me, but these games really are amazing and under-appreciated. Not only are they beautiful, but they offer a very unique playing experience.

image7-1.JPGimage7-1.JPG

Time Machine was particularly interesting with the rising and lowering pop bumper field. Loved it!

image9-1.JPGimage9-1.JPG

Where else are you going to see a line of classic Sterns like this? I certainly have never seen one, and every game played perfectly.

image11-1.JPGimage11-1.JPG

F2K is a particular standout for me. Super fun. I need one of these!

image12.JPGimage12.JPG

If you're a WPC DMD snob, you really owe it to yourself to visit this show and try the line of classic Wedgeheads. You're really missing out otherwise.

image3-3.JPGimage3-3.JPG

One particular standout was Gemini. A surprisingly complex playing experience that made me realize that EMs have a lot to offer.

image4-1.JPGimage4-1.JPG

Fireball may be the most perfect EM game ever made - the artwork is transcendent, the gameplay excellent and it has all the best features of the era. I can see why these are worth a small fortune.

image5-1.JPGimage5-1.JPG

On the flipside, Nitro Groundshaker wins the prize for most amazing artwork but the most boring and uninteresting gameplay - polar opposites. Glad I got to try it though.

image10-1.JPGimage10-1.JPG

Another stand-out Stern. Great artwork, fun gameplay. The complete package. How was Stern a second fiddle player with games like this?

image8-1.JPGimage8-1.JPG

Holy crap, Swords of Fury was the stand-out winner of the whole show for me. I'd never played it before and I was blown away. Another game that flew under the radar for me. It's on the shortlist for sure.

image2-3.JPGimage2-3.JPG

Another reminder to not just write off EMs as slow and boring. I played this one as part of the EM tournament and really enjoyed it.

The thing to remember is that the limited admission means I never had any trouble finding any of these games to play. I might have waited three or four times the whole weekend to play a machine I wanted to play. What other show can you say you've had that experience?

If you're only interested in the A-List games, well, those are all well covered. I didn't bother with most of them because I've played them all a million times. This show was about new experiences.

In closing, if you've not been, go. You won't regret it. Thanks again Clay, you really knocked it out of the park!

#3 8 years ago

Looks fantastic.

#4 8 years ago

Glad to hear I am not alone as far as Nitro goes. I am dying to get to the show but we are about 1000 miles away so I don't know when that will happen but you are spot on as far as Nitro - love the art - hate the gameplay!

#5 8 years ago

Great write up and nice meeting you on Friday!

I vote that you get Millward to make a poster/t shirt for the next VFW show

#6 8 years ago

I attended this last year and agree that it's a terriffic opportunity to play a huge number of games in top condition. Great show! I'd add that the former VFW venue is cool, lots of woodrail and EM games to play, and some really outstanding custom neon signs on display to boot!

#7 8 years ago

Great show. Top notch perfectly woking pins, and a dash of *Clay* make for a perfect pinball experience. This is a "never miss it" show.

#8 8 years ago

You have to appreciate his "constructive criticism" of the Cactus Canyon update if nothing else......

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

Great show. Top notch perfectly woking pins, and a dash of *Clay* make for a perfect pinball experience. This is a "never miss it" show.

A few of the games did have minor breakdowns but our technicians Justin, Bruce, Bill, Dan, Chris, Gwen, and Tim got them back up and running.

#10 8 years ago

Great review . I agree it was an awesome experience . Worth the drive from PA. Thanks Clay.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Great review . I agree it was an awesome experience . Worth the drive from PA. Thanks Clay.

Also finally got to meet Terry from Pinball life to see where all my cash has been going.

#12 8 years ago

Amazing show. Best pinball show/experience ever. Will go every year!

#13 8 years ago

Great review!

Thanks for your thoughts along with the pics of those awesome games.
great to read.

#14 8 years ago

It's an amazingly eclectic collection, all in superb shape. the amount of techs and other volunteers there was amazing. The limiting ticket sales really helped keep the crowd to a minimum. Full yes, but there was always "something" open to play. I was starstruck by Clay, and shook his hand and thanked him for everything he's done for pinball over the years (and continues to do on his blog).

The snack shop outside was a great idea, it meant not having to rush out to grab a bite to eat for lunch. Me and my wife spent 9 hours there on saturday, and we were both thrilled at not only the game selection, but the atmosphere. I actually had a ton of fun playing the bowler and the pitch and bat machine. I was picky with which EM's to play (so many look so similiar). I HAD to play buckaroo (Tommy movie), and Dragon (it has pop up creatures, sort of pre medieval trolls).

I also paid a visit to Marvin's marvelous museum, and 'the arcade" in brighton while I was up there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS
$ 27.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Staunton, VA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Tempe, AZ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-vfw-pinball-show-my-review and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.