(Topic ID: 253285)

The verdict is in...Wonka is a wonder, and K***** is a wonker...

By Shastings

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pinlawyer
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“The verdict is in...Wonka is a wonder, and K***** is a wonker...”

• K***** is right, Wonka is a fail (but not as much as Star Wars) 93 votes
    48%
  • K***** is so wrong, Wonka is great 100 votes
    52%

(193 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

73504855_3127920420615644_8095656338098487296_n (resized).jpg
964F7EB2-6EEA-4457-A62C-3EB707B4007B (resized).jpeg
kaneda (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20191012-105551 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Wonka is all on perspective
Owners: Wonka is amazing
non-owners: Wonka sucks
Opinions vary if you dropped 9k on this dud or not.
I talk to a lot of pinheads and it's the first game since wrestlemania where i haven't heard a single positive review.

Well, I left a positive review on Pinside for it. And it's not an issue of justifying the purchase or not having enough pins to play. I've got arguably the hottest games in pinball right now: JJPOTC, Wonka, and Jurassic Park.

Wonka is by far the one that has us deeply hooked right now. And that's not a slight on the other two because everyone knows POTC and JP are also amazing!
There is something about the game that has a seriously addictive quality.

Maybe it's the difficulty? It beats you up a while, then you have that one amazing game and it gets you riled up again.

I have an SE with now over 4000 plays and I am eagerly ready to upgrade to CE.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I mean from players off the street in conversation - not pinsiders or owners of the machine.

Admittedly the game makes a tough first impression. It takes a while to learn to fight back and make progress and that's when the hooks are dug in.

The first night with the machine I was pretty unhappy. Now we can't stay off of it.

Perhaps the new "coin op" settings that make the game easier will help with that.

#41 4 years ago

So for the people who are out solely due to the asset use...honest question from me, why?

Star Wars had clips with sound and they get SO repetitive after hundreds of games. I insta-skip them every single time.
As for “telling the story” - also puzzling to me, do you want every game to start with the same mode? To tell a story that’s what you’d have to do, unless I am missing something.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

U would need to give an example of a pinball machine where the clips and sound doesn't get repetitive after hundreds of games. U won't be able to because it doesn't exist.

Exactly my point. They get annoying and repetitive so how can the lack of them be a deal-breaker on a pin?

Does anyone with a JJPOTC complain about the assets? Nope.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I haven't had the chance to even play wonka. I would love to be able to.

Want to come play mine here in Frisco?

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Have you played it in a home enviroment? If not, you should really wait to make judgement.

Yeah, pretty much everything he said is wrong.

I went to watch a WW slot video after reading his post - nope, not seeing it.
And the asset use thing, FFS it’s just tired at this point. The game has hundreds of movie audio clips used very well for comedic and gameplay effect.

Yeah when it plays videos it’s silent. We know. It doesn’t matter.

Confusing code? How hard is “hit ramps, hit the gobstopper 3x, hit the captive ball then the kid MB shot?”

Just another person who dismissed the game too soon without giving it a chance over trivial issues.

964F7EB2-6EEA-4457-A62C-3EB707B4007B (resized).jpeg964F7EB2-6EEA-4457-A62C-3EB707B4007B (resized).jpeg
#90 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

I miss my Star Wars, definitely would get one again. I tried to like Wonka, had to force myself to play it. After a couple hundred plays it was too repetitive and easy. I sold it after a month and bought an Oktoberfest, best decision I've made in this hobby.

Easy???

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I know you desperately want people to like this game but what you have a hard time understanding is that the normal player doesn't want to force themselves to "get" this game (like many owners had to self admittingly do).

Hey I don't care who doesn't like it. I just think it does a disservice when people do a hot take and shit all over it without giving it a chance.

You've been very clear that you've given it a solid chance and it doesn't work for you, so that's cool. Pinball is subjective.

And you're right, this game (in my view anyway) can make a hostile first impression. It took a few hours to win me over.

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

All the shots were easy, there wasn't an exciting moment in the game. Everything felt bland.

Did you collect 5 gobstoppers? 3 Wonkavator stages? Trying for those is very challenging and very exciting when we progress.

I think my first Oompa Loompa Odyssey is when the game won me over - did you get to that?

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Those are the repetitive parts, same thing over and over, it got old quick. I like variety in my games. I earned 3 tickets a few times, games were long and boring after scoring 7-8mil consistantly. I found myself turning the game off before games ended, that's when I knew it had to go. Oktoberfest is a much better game, at least for my style.

Respect! You got way further than I have and in a very short period of time. Sounds like you're very good at pinball, it makes more sense now that you'd consider it easy.

I...am not.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-verdict-is-inwonka-is-a-wonder-and-k-is-a-wonker?tu=zaphx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.