Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,324 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 26 days ago by prl867
  • Topic is favorited by 53 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7887 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7890 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7886 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7755 (resized).jpeg
    20231017_110041 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7095 (resized).jpeg
    20230324_080041 (resized).jpg
    20230324_075831 (resized).jpg
    20230324_080037 (resized).jpg
    20230324_075858 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_6869 (resized).jpeg
    71365100550__8FDB284D-DA99-4986-92AF-B4BBAB0A3FCE (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0210 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6266 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 3 years ago

Sweet...will be at Mandalay in August and will be sure to visit.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I wondered why not the NY.NY. but then realized that Mandalay Bay was a haven for balding Jewish guys poolside in speedos.

That doesn't even make sense.

When you go to Vegas do you seek out "Chicago pizza?" or the "illinois Blues Club?"

1 week later
    #50 2 years ago

In the video last week Tim said he plans on being open to the public in early July.

He also said you can become a "club member" by buying a T-shirt, so I don't think it's any kind of a big deal. Just buy a t-shirt and you can be guaranteed entry in May.

I'll be in Vegas in August so I'll just buy my t-shirt then. Because lord knows I suffer a dramatic shortage of pinball t-shirts!

#53 2 years ago

Getting thrown out of PBHOF is a rite of passage I wouldn't take it personally. A friend of mine got thrown out for smelling like weed, he came back the next day like nothing happened.

I do very much hope the AC is working by the time I'm there in August! I don't think I could subject myself to that even to play Pinball Circus.

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from timarnold:

The Government gives standards that we are required to enforce when it comes to Covid.
    It is simple. WEAR A MASK! No part way, not just a gauze covering or a face shield, A FULL MASK, all the time.
    99 percent of our customers have NO problem with this reasonable requirement.
    Others chose to frame this as a personal freedom issue and refuse to comply.
    The science of wearing a mask is solid. It is not painful or limiting. It DOES help stop the spread of Covid.
    Our position is simple. Mask up or get out.
    Playing a stupid marble game is never worth anyone getting sick.
    Also, keep in mind that in a loud room, our staff, who ARE wearing masks, must speak loudly to be heard. Some people take this as gruffness or rudeness.
    All of us at the PHOF are getting very tired of telling people over and over to mind simple public health rules that are for everyone's protection. Playing some stupid mind-game with grown adults who refuse to be safe also takes us away from working on improving the machines.
    Government goons kicking down your front door in the middle of the night IS an issue of FREEDOM. Not being allowed to vote IS a FREEDOM issue. Wearing a simple cloth over your mouth and nose is just common courtesy. Grow up, shut up and mask up!

Thanks for this reasonable clarification! People are always saying they wish things were "like the old days" and that they lived in the simpler time of their youth...well here ya go! Straight talk and honesty just like what built the good old US of A, not the new-fangled "everybody is special" participation trophy fake talk we all hate now.

No "Disneyfied Vegas" at the Pinball Hall of Fame, baby! I can't wait to go.

Is PBHOF selling masks with PINBALL emblazoned across them?

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from kamenoi_ostrow:

Having opened close to 60 theatres over my career, I can certainly appreciate the angst of soft openings as they're incredibly stressful and no one seems to know what the hell is going on staff-wise. Mistakes will be made, sometimes big ones. You have to expect that. Your stress level will be at it's peak. You'll be grouchy most of the time and just want to get it behind you. The bottom line is to make the venture (movie theatre or pinball museum) as INVITING as possible to the potential customer. Read that last line again. If not for that customer, there will be no income and thus no more $$$ for your charity or whatever else your goal is. Believe me when I tell you, customers can be obnoxious assholes. They are definitely the ones who deserve to get booted. I have done my share of that back in the day. From what I've read and what others have experienced, that has NOT been the case here. Nobody is carving their initials on the the side of the pins for Christ's sake. If someone isn't wearing their mask, remind them politely to mask it up. If you get shushed or they don't listen, out they go. Again, I'm not so sure that's what happened here. I think that staff member was likely ill-trained to deal with patrons from what it sounds like. Classic mountain out of a molehill here.
    Tim does NOT possess people skills, plain and simple. I do not mean that to be pejorative. He likes to control his domain, as do most people. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I just find it odd that a man who pretty much donated his life to helping others (via being a large benefactor to The Salvation Army) seemingly holds so much contempt for his patrons. I said seemingly, so prove me wrong.

People have been telling old school guys like Tim and Steve Young that they are doing it wrong for decades, yet they've managed to achieve their goals well beyond the scope of almost anybody else in pinball. They've given and continue to give back to the hobby more than any of the naysayers by an unmeasurable margin.

They've already proved you wrong.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Just to be clear - I have never dealt with Tim, so I don't know him. I have dealt with Steve, and while he can be gruff, he's actually a good guy.

So is Tim!

Dude didn't even know me 20 years ago and offered to pick me up from the Vegas airport and take me to his hanger full of games. He did the same for tons of people I know.

Not saying they can't rub people the wrong way but don't expect them to change now. Like I said before, they are relics of a past that all of the aging people here seem to want to come back...except when they ask for a part number or insist you wear a mask I guess?

1 week later
    #103 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

I don't really care if Tim is a likable guy or not. The problem is that he seems to be running an unlikable place.
    People don't tend to return to unlikable places, and businesses tend to do poorly without repeat business and with bad word-of-mouth.

Then I’m sure the PBHOF will go tits up in no time. Problem solved.

And if it doesn’t? Well, either people don’t really care if they get a handy for walking in the door, or maybe only a select few find them “rude.” If that’s the case you gotta wonder why.

#107 2 years ago

Ironic coming from a KISS fan!

Those guys been wearing masks for 40 years.

#127 2 years ago

LMAO there are some unhinged lunatics in this hobby for sure.

1 week later
    #168 2 years ago

It's a giant, huge, titanic sign in Las Vegas that says PINBALL.

Pretty much the coolest sign ever if you are into pinball I'd think.

#217 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

"No Smoking (Grass, Vape or Chew)" seems to imply tobacco smoking is okay.
    Obviously that's not what they intended. It always cracks me up when "professional" sign makers don't question bad wording.
    No need to even bring up "grass" (smoking is smoking, and who the hell even calls it "grass" any more? What is this, 1967?)
    "No Smoking, Vaping or Chew" would be much clearer.
    While I'm at it, it is condescending to say "inside voices." That is what one says to little children, typically in normal sized rooms, where it matters. "No yelling" is sufficient. And no mention of "No Cursing"? There's an oversight!
    "No Running" doesn't need to be explained, either, especially when I could run around that place all day without being in the least concerned about all the "glass and sharp corners," that's just more unnecessary talking down to the customers.
    "No alcohol" is redundant with "No outside food or beverages." I think what they're really after here is "No Drunken Behavior." But "No Yelling" and not beating on the games covers that. ("Hey, the sign didn't say anything about not vomiting between the machines!")
    "Equipment is owned by club" is both bad English and not pertinent. "By the club" would sound better, but what difference does it make who owns it? It's not yours, so respect it, duh. Is Tim afraid people will think he owns it all himself, and when he goes around acting, well, like himself, people will take out their displeasure on the games? Then explain it on a different "Club History" sign perhaps, and also try acting a tiny bit more cordial maybe? (Man, if it were me, I'd be up front in a tuxedo and top hat, welcoming guests with a huge smile, and I'm more introverted than he is!) As it is, this Rules sign is in danger of being TL/DRed.
    The actual RULES should be grouped together on the sign. How to shake a ball loose is not a rule, but it is followed by additional rules.
    So, as far as I'm concerned, they're 0 for 2 on their signs so far... but I'm sure they appreciate all my constructive criticism!
    And don't get me wrong, I'm literally in awe of what Tim has accomplished here, and I'm sure even he loses sight of it with all the headaches sometimes, but it is downright amazing, and couldn’t exist except as a charity as he figured out, otherwise it'd be taxed and licensed to death, so damn, man! You did it! A place for Pinball like nowhere else on the planet, on the freaking Vegas Strip yet! Mind boggling!

You'd seriously have to be an idiot not to grasp the intent of the sign.

Kinda like the giant one on the building that says PINBALL!!!

I think we can all agree the "grass" sentence is charming. I love it!

#221 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Um, no shit. Still bad wording.

I think you can add English Professor to the dozens of things Tim Arnold has never claimed to be.

You should drop by and offer your assistance free of charge for all future PBHOF communications, I'm sure it'll be appreciated!

#227 2 years ago

They've simplified the signage over at PBHOF!

gas (resized).jpggas (resized).jpg
    #245 2 years ago

Ultimately it's up to Tim but I'm sure there's going to be an increase in belligerent anti-maskers berating PBHOF employees if he keeps current policy.

#282 2 years ago

Sweet, will be making first visit in August!

#285 2 years ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

Looks like it's getting there! I wonder how the acoustics will be in a place like that?

LOUD, like every pinball show you've been to.

Use your indoor voice!

1 week later
    #323 2 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

especially from the 32nd floor of the mandalay bay.[quoted image]

That is just so awesome

I wonder if this is in running for largest arcade sign in the world?

2 weeks later
    #364 2 years ago

I think at this point it’s just safe to assume that every location everywhere is getting a mando this week.

#370 2 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I'm no Rick Steves but I bet there's a place or two on the Vegas strip that sells some food

People are always like “going to Vegas for a few days...can anybody suggest anything to do?”

It’s like...the place was built for the sole purpose of giving people things to do!!! I think you’ll Find some stuff if you walk a few feet.

1 year later
    #887 1 year ago

I absolutely love the idea that Tim/PBHOF is going to do retail sales and installations on pinball machines.

Genius! These people are absolutely made for white glove service for the general public.

#891 1 year ago
    Quoted from blacklightprod:

There are some great elements in place such as the LOCATION - NEON EXTERIOR SIGN - BUILDING - and the fact they own a lot of games.
    Now you have to put it all together. This should be the best overall location the country, but when you look around at people who've opened these types of places its far from the best. But all the elements are there to make an EXPERIENCE of a lifetime. Even if you wipe out every single suggestion I have you can't have playfields pointed in the air with boxes stuff inside, or junk scattered everywhere, or pinball machines serving as storage shelves.
    Not to mention at least 40% of every game inside NOT WORKING! Why have so many games on the floor if they don't work? Why is it such a bad idea to take about 1/6 of the space there and create a workshop, fix the games inside the workshop, then put back on the floor? How is that a bad suggestion. Why is it a bad thing to have fewer games on the floor, and have non-working games in a shop?
    I know pinballs break but why have I dunno 150 plus sitting around not working? Oh and since they don't work use them as storage? C'mon now! LOL
    This place has the best location of any pinball facility in the country with the best building and the best sign. LIVE UP TO THAT take pride in the experience.
    The obsession with showing people how many games you have at the expense of leaving 150 plus games broken with junk scattered everywhere is not serving the place to its potential. No one could debate that. If you make NO ZERO changes at least build a workshop remove broken games, and get rid of the cluttered junk scattered everywhere. Just my opinion. I'm not sure how anyone could disagree.

I suggest you PRESENT these suggestions to PBHOF MANAGEMENT and see how they GO OVER. Tim is always looking for HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS on how he can change the same business model he's been using for ABOUT THIRTY YEARS and he will be very eager to talk to you.

2 weeks later
    #946 1 year ago
    Quoted from driph:

If ya'll add another design to the roster down the road, I'd love a shirt with just a large front print and nothing on the back. Cheaper to print, too!

Nothing on the back?!?

It's pinball bro!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-vegas-phof-opens-tomorrow-4-14-21-in-new-location-?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.