Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,324 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 32 days ago by prl867
  • Topic is favorited by 53 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7887 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7890 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7886 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7755 (resized).jpeg
    20231017_110041 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7095 (resized).jpeg
    20230324_080041 (resized).jpg
    20230324_075831 (resized).jpg
    20230324_080037 (resized).jpg
    20230324_075858 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_6869 (resized).jpeg
    71365100550__8FDB284D-DA99-4986-92AF-B4BBAB0A3FCE (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0210 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6266 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Luckydogg420.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#226 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

unnecessary talking down to the customers.

That’s what I took away from the sign. This could have been done way, way better if it would have been thought about for more then 5 minutes. IMHO this doesn’t look professional at all, more like the owner scribbled something on a napkin and said “go print this”.

Quoted from DanQverymuch:

And don't get me wrong, I'm literally in awe of what Tim has accomplished here, and I'm sure even he loses sight of it with all the headaches sometimes, but it is downright amazing, and couldn’t exist except as a charity as he figured out, otherwise it'd be taxed and licensed to death, so damn, man! You did it! A place for Pinball like nowhere else on the planet, on the freaking Vegas Strip yet! Mind boggling!

Again. This is an amazing building and accomplishment. Please don’t take a little criticism personally. Nobody’s trying to attack, I think we’re trying to help.

5 months later
    #566 2 years ago

I’m really wanting to see some good quality pictures of the place full of games and all lit up. It would be so cool to get a skyjack and a good wide angle lens to take some truly memorable photos, not just cell phone pics.

Edit. Added photo from Toronto. I envision something like this; but 20x better
    8C88E127-576A-4EDF-8B32-E81E1074F923 (resized).jpeg8C88E127-576A-4EDF-8B32-E81E1074F923 (resized).jpeg

4 months later
    #837 2 years ago
    Quoted from prl867:

July 1st was Pinball Hall of Fame day. It was cute.

That's called Canada day here. Right in the middle of summer, it's a great day for a celebration, and another reason to play pinball is always welcome

#846 2 years ago

Retro Ralph at the hall of fame. Jump to the 12min mark for 1 min, and then to 16min for another 2 minutes from there, mostly looking at arcade stuff.

4 months later
    #902 1 year ago
    Quoted from blacklightprod:

I think they should create a themed room where the rarest games go, and you read about the history of Pinball. It's called the Pinball Museum yet there is no Museum. They have games worthy to tell the tale of pinball but no one knows their story. They should also hire someone like Dirty Donnie or Franchi to create custom pinball vegas themed artwork for retail.

Quoted from blacklightprod:

This place needs to tell the story of pinball, the past, present and future while promoting pinball to new generations. As operated currently it doesn't do this.
    Again I give credit because that building is nice, the neon sign is one of the best I've ever seen... but the interior experience is lacking big league. Everything inside is WHITE... should be themed in neon or blacklight like the sign outside.
    There should be banners everywhere. Think of World Series of Pinball... could be hosted here if only they had a ROOM for it? They should group games together by decade or type. Just like at a convention they could hang banners in the different sections from the roof... 1950's - 1960' - 1970's etc. I just know if I was doing it I would do a lot more to make this a MUST SEE VEGAS EXPERIENCE!

IMHO these are all really great points. I believe the devil is in the details and I get the feeling that this is just a warehouse of machines and not a museum telling their history. I could be way wrong, but t seems that this place has a lot of untapped potential.

What’s the difference between great and amazing? The attention paid to details.

#917 1 year ago

I might be alone and in the wrong on this thinking, but a business that is 100% dependant on volunteers to run the place isn’t a success in my mind.

I understand that the whole point of the place is to raise money for charity, but if the volunteers left one day, would the place still be able to run? IMHO a successful business isn’t measured by how well the leader holds it all together, but how well things run when the leader is not there. To me it seems like Tim is the glue holding it together and from an outside perspective it’s only successful because of the unique way the place has been organized.

I have no constructive criticism to offer, and I know it would be ignored anyway. But I agree with blacklightprod in that this place has so much potential to be a museum and not just a warehouse.

#918 1 year ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

it’s only successful because of the unique way the place has been organized.

To clarify. (Again I could be wrong) I thought that the PHOF was a non-profit organization. Would that exempt them from expenses that a normal business would have to deal with? For example do they pay tax on all of the coin drops they earn? Is the property tax the same rate as the neighborhood, what are the employment expenses. Etc.

#933 1 year ago
    Quoted from timarnold:

By continuing to take a long term view and slowly and methodically making tiny improvements, we will make our museum better.

It’s great to know that a long term plan is in the works, and I greatly respect all that has been accomplished, and also for the pride you take in your work. Well done, keep it up!

Quoted from RyanStl:

Nobody is hating

I think that everyone has a lot of love for their idea of the best pinball museum in the world, and we all hope that Tim’s vision will be completed as soon as possible. Hopefully Tim’s long term plan will become everything to everyone; it certainly has progressed very well in the last couple years, and headed in the right direction.

2 months later
    #990 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Is FunSpot giving $500K a year to charity ?

Imagine if they only gave $400k to charity and spent $100k on improvements or a full time tech. For that price you could maybe even get 2 full time techs.

4 months later
    #1124 1 year ago

What if you request a donation and they refuse? Last I checked a donation is voluntary, otherwise it’s a fee.

Quoted from prl867:

donation Requested

94D8D25D-2DDD-4691-A7D1-FDF6293F41CC (resized).jpeg94D8D25D-2DDD-4691-A7D1-FDF6293F41CC (resized).jpeg

3 months later
    #1199 10 months ago
    Quoted from Tydence:

According to Pinball Map, PHoF has 341 machines.

My guess is with that many machines they don’t even know all of the problems, and if they do, that would be quite a “to do list”. If they did have a cycling list of games that are out of service long term, then it would be nice to have it posted somewhere. I’d hate to travel to Vegas to play a bunch of pinball that I haven’t before just find out that the 10 I want to play the most are all off.

It would be easier for PHOF to defend themselves if they could say that less than 10% of their games are broken. But I fear that it’s closer to 25% (or higher) with some of the comments on here. Having 85 broken games to me means that you don’t have 341 games to play it means that you have 250 game to play.

PHOF is one of the few reasons that I want to travel to the states, but this thread hasn’t inspired me to book a trip yet. Quite the opposite. I keep hoping that this will become a world class attraction, but it just seems like I would come away with a mediocre experience

#1205 10 months ago

I just learned about this place that’s only a couple hours drive from me

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/past-times-arcade#post-7608190

1 week later
    #1228 10 months ago

“Largest operational pinball collection in the world that’s open to the public”. Is that true? Like largest open to the public might be true, but operational?

1 week later
    #1265 10 months ago

Because the Salvation Army is the only one they support?

#1273 10 months ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I don't remember doing any drugs this morning but after reading this I'm rethinking that reality?

The poppies are in bloom, are you sure you didn’t have any opium today by accident?

IMG_6266 (resized).jpegIMG_6266 (resized).jpeg
    2 weeks later
    #1274 9 months ago

One question. Can you see the sphere from the PHOF? Because I’m pretty sure it can see you…. But seriously, can you advertise on the sphere? Big ball…pinball, there’s gotta be something there

IMG_0210 (resized).jpegIMG_0210 (resized).jpeg
    3 months later
    #1298 5 months ago

Pretty shocking when you watch that video and look not just at the games he’s filming turned off, but all the off games in the background. Virtually every shot in the video shows games turned off. If not the game he’s looking at then the game next to it.

It’s true that he didn’t film the working centre aisle of modern stern games, but I bet if you counted every game shown in that video (by a non pinhead) I bet there’s more off than on.

For anyone looking to go and actually PLAY the games , this was not a good advertisement. If you just want to LOOK at rare classic games then this might be the place for you, but then you gotta wonder why the off games aren’t grouped together in a museum section.

Maybe I’m just cynical

#1300 5 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

An overview video from a few weeks ago:

I re-posted this video onto the other PHOF thread. Let’s keep this thread for positive thoughts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Luckydogg420.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-vegas-phof-opens-tomorrow-4-14-21-in-new-location-?tu=Luckydogg420 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.