Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,324 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 32 days ago by prl867
  • Topic is favorited by 53 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7887 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7890 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7886 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7755 (resized).jpeg
    20231017_110041 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7095 (resized).jpeg
    20230324_080041 (resized).jpg
    20230324_075831 (resized).jpg
    20230324_080037 (resized).jpg
    20230324_075858 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_6869 (resized).jpeg
    71365100550__8FDB284D-DA99-4986-92AF-B4BBAB0A3FCE (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0210 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6266 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gundam_Pilot_.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#170 2 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

I don't know if you have ever built anything requiring permits using contractors but if you have you will realize how silly your second comment is. Even during "normal times" it is very hard keeping a project on budget but right now it is even worse with the cost of most building materials being nearly double what they were just before this Corona Virus mess started. But even without that a 10% "overrun" is pretty much considered normal on any major project.
    Regardless of what anyone post here or anywhere else there will always be the haters and that is something that just isn't going to change. Put 10 people in any room and try to get them to agree on anything these days and it just isn't going to happen. So why would PHoF and Tim be any different.
    What I was referring to is the people "mocking" his hand written sign on the door of the old place (on a piece of poster paper) or the hand written sign with the "rules" when you come into the new place. Tim is pretty much a down and dirty no frills type guy.
    As far as "the details" of the cost of the project, cost overruns, etc - that stuff happens. As far as the way he runs the place with 100% volunteer staff, keeping lots of lights turned off (at the old place), not have the A/C as cool as some people think it should be, using an old playfield for a back door on an EM machine, etc that is the stuff I was referring to.
    Here is an idea - why doesn't someone start a new thread "Bitch Fest about PHoF & Tim". I just can't wrap my head around why a few people feel the need to keep going negative as far as PHoF & Tim goes. What is that going to accomplish? How would they feel if people were doing that to them? To me is is just like the bully when we were in grade school! Enough said!

I don't disagree with you one bit by any of what you said. I will have to disagree with his gofundme/asking for donations. When you are a company that underbudgeted for a move, have well over a million dollars in equity, then asks for 100K to help bail him out? Come on now guys. A pinball circus sale would have easily paid for cost. I can respect what Tim is doing, and I have been to the PHOF one time. I enjoyed my experience and have nothing bad to say about the establishment.

I guess where my reservations lie is the blatant manipulation of the pinball community by asking for donations from a money heavy community. We know this is an expensive hobby, why not capitalize? The community is just as blind for buying in by donating to a cause for a guy that's already swimming in money. He clearly bit off a little more than he could chew, and asks for financial help? Do you see stern, JJP, or any public establishment doing the same? No. They have a sound business model. Equally I think PHOF just used its name to muscle in the already cracked door by using its stake as the largest public place to play in the US. I think any other location that boasts a large public collection to play would never even consider starting a charity to generate revenue. Perhaps only asking for able bodies to donate TIME.

Note his webpage asking for donations
    http://pinballmuseum.org/support.php

Also note his webpage showing his donations, but the last one being over a decade ago? Where's all those donations over the last decade Tim? Lets see those contributions.
    http://pinballmuseum.org/donate.php

How about a webpage to showcase everyone that donated to the pinball HOF?
    Oh we don't have one of those? Surprising. Must be under construction.

Point is that the guy provides a service just like how we all work our 9-5. WE don't get any monetary support from our employer. This is no different, this just pulls on your heart strings because you care. This was a money grab when clearly the funds were there The pictures were an indicator of that.

#173 2 years ago
    Quoted from JWJr:

Gundam_Pilot_ , congratulations on being one of the very few people to be completely unaffected by the COVID-19 pandemic.

I want to make this clear, I know I am in the minority for feeling this way, but I equally think it’s one of those “taboo” things to be in the minority about. I am just telling it how I see it and would appreciate valid conjecture to offset my basis.

I am not sure where covid comes into play here.

Yes. Covid happened, and even better yet, pinball prices soared with multiple stimulus being dished out. Essentially making it easier to turn and burn games and come up with scratch. Apparently saving what you can, and focusing on your financial longevity despite what is happening in the world is something people don’t consider anymore.
    Perhaps I should live outside my means and ask forgiveness from my home loan institution when I can’t pay my mortgage. But I can start up a charity while I sit on my pinball collection (that could pay my bills) with no intention to sell.

Priorities I guess.

#175 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Except, it was clearly stated that everything was budgeted for a normal year. But then covid happened and expected attendance/earnings dropped due to shutdowns.

Right, but you’re sitting on probably 2 million dollars of liquidity that directly is related to the business you can’t afford to run because of “unforeseen circumstances”. Instead of trying to put the burden on himself and having to consolidate/sell games, he put the burden on the community threatening that he could close. Closing was never an option, PHOF had everything they needed to run the business from the entertainment side, and to financially sustain in games. I think 20 replaceable sterns would have bumped PHOF to the target. But clearly it wasn’t an option.

#177 2 years ago

I appreciate you elaborating on each of my statements. However each of your statements are focused around the same 3 concepts. COVID, charity being option, and more importantly, not selling what you have on the floor because it’s your bread and butter.

The plain fact is PHOF could have sacrificed 10% or less of its games to save the other 90%+ that’s still on the floor. Despite COVID, that money was there before, during, and after the start of covid. The funny thing is that PHOF was boasted for having over 1000 games. We all know social distancing limits their space, but those games not on the floor could have been sold and bought back with PROFITS.

I’d also like to add, I’ve never seen an advertised charity on every single social media/relatable website, and I believe locally (don’t hold me to it). We all know the big charities out there that advertise heavily. But at least those charities are used as a vessel to help people in actual need.
    The idea of the charity is to allow people to seek you, not for you to predatorily seek people’s wallets. I didn’t see any of the heavy hitter locations (leaving nameless) utilize the same method to generate income.

I don’t know how other locations around the US have sustained, but I am sure it ends 2 ways. Either the business has folded up due to financial strife, or the business figures it out and makes it through COVID.

COVID sucked. But in this situation, money fixed it all. I just don’t like the way that money was acquired.

If this topic was about the national arm chair museum, nobody would care to defend.

I’m sorry my words hurt.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gundam_Pilot_.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-vegas-phof-opens-tomorrow-4-14-21-in-new-location-?tu=Gundam_Pilot_ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.