Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,324 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 27 days ago by prl867
  • Topic is favorited by 53 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7887 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7890 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7886 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7755 (resized).jpeg
    20231017_110041 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7095 (resized).jpeg
    20230324_080041 (resized).jpg
    20230324_075831 (resized).jpg
    20230324_080037 (resized).jpg
    20230324_075858 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_6869 (resized).jpeg
    71365100550__8FDB284D-DA99-4986-92AF-B4BBAB0A3FCE (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0210 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6266 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,324 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 27.
    #501 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

at a Las Vegas In-N-Out Burger....
    [quoted image]

Those are good burgers Dude.

#502 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Pins and Pitch & Bats: 41% down.
    Pins, Pitch & Bats, videos, redemption games, arcade games (basically everything set up) : 35% down.
    Not trying to get in a pissing contest with anyone. Just stating what I, as well as two others in the vfw pinball group have observed recently.

Having been there "briefly" on Sept 13th, I would also agree with your #'s

#503 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Are you aware that the previous poster, "cfh" and Tim are acquaintances/friends and talk often?

hehe.. thx I couldn't think of a diplomatic way to respond to his response As if Clay is some rando wrt to Tim and his history and personality.

I have a hard time believing anyone would try to argue against the points raised. Is it "control freak" or "stubborn" whatever... The man has made up his mind on certain things and that's how he rolls. Somethings you agree with, others you doubt... but he's not one to flounder. He pounds forward. The stories of delegation appear to be getting better as they've grown, but some of the 'extremes' still sound the same.

I lol'd at the explaining a coin box bit....

#504 2 years ago

Perhaps things have changed since i tech'ed last at the PHoF (it has been a few years), but i do stand by my statements. I'm good friends with "Coil" and Tim. And "Coil" sure did work there a lot (hell he *lived* there!), and his experiences mirror mine. And I don't think "control freak" is a negative statement... it's just how it is. I mean i'm a control freak at my facility. It's just how it is. if you're not a control freak, frankly things spin out of control pretty quick! But it's just how the "control" is handled that makes all the difference. And as someone that has a working museum with *more* restored and running games than Tim (at this point I believe we're the largest pinball museum in North America by game count), i'm not just talking out my ass...

#505 2 years ago

Tim=Clay=Tim=Clay=Tim=Clay...etc.
    Tim and his clone would butt heads with each other and so would 2 Clays.
    Both being stubborn has kept pins available to the public in various versions and locations for over 25 years.
    Tim operated games since the 70s, Clay ran the definitive repair website for around 20 years.

It's great the OP and his daughter are helping out, but if he's gonna keep being the 'spokesperson' for the PHOF he should really know the overall history of the hobby for the last 20 years at least.
    Just doing game updates is a safe route, don't get confrontational with anyone, never looks good for the business.

#506 2 years ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

but if he's gonna keep being the 'spokesperson' for the PHOF

Dude, he was pretty clear right from the get go...

Quoted from prl867:

do not speak in an official or unofficial capacity for the PHoF and do not claim to represent them in any way on this forum. I only speak for myself.

#507 2 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Dude, he was pretty clear right from the get go...

'Dude', did you not see my quotes?
    If he's gonna throw shade at Clay of all people (right or wrong) he should know who he is.
    When he steps into that role defending Tim and the PHOF and he works there as a volunteer it gets iffy.

Examples that went sideways:
    Jared at Stern
    Crazy Animation guy at Spooky/Halloween.

Again, game updates are great, keep 'em up and avoid the conflict.

#508 2 years ago

Tim here at the PHOF.

Please keep in mind that we all work very hard 2 shifts a day, 7 days a week. No vacations, no sandbagging. If you were a normal pinhead, you would think that would be more than enough time for a staff of trained people to get everything all dialed in all the time.

The truth is that because we did 4.8 million quarters in the coin slots in the last full non-covid year, we have a very fast moving target when it comes to repairs. As soon as we get one done, another pops up. This leaves less time to get more machines out of storage and get them worked thru.

On top of that, we have a building that will NOT LEAVE US ALONE! We are involved in several legal actions involving the purchase-construction that I can not talk about here that have taken up massive amounts of time. Try sitting thru an all day deposition listening to lawyers drone on about the meaning of a word in a contract while thinking of all the machines you are NOT fixing.

We are also facing shortages in parts, supplies, labor, even soft drinks, brought about because of Covid wrecking the supply chains. We get thru it all by taking more time to re supply and paying more for what we need.

We had to get out of our old location on Trop in a hurry because our lease was up and the landlord was under no legal obligation to allow us to stay beyond the end date. We had planned to pick a starting lineup, move in only those games that we selected and have them all ready to go when we opened. The building was behind, the County would not issue us an occupancy permit and the electric company took 8 weeks to do a simple hook-up. In the end, with only 6 days to go before we lost our old space, we just had to grab and go.

Then the Airport made us take our storage containers out from in back, which put 50 pitch and bats that were stored there on the floor at the last second. They are still there.

Then Sega Operations, Buffalo Bills and several small operators went tits up out-of-business within a month of each other, and we got to feast on some incredible bargains being offered on used equipment. This took time and more stuff was just thrown into the new location. Long term this equipment at PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR will make for a more interesting product mix and higher profits, but in the short term it just looks like clutter.

AS far as me being a control freak, that all depends on how you look at it. We have made many moves in the last few years to push decisions and responsibility down the chain of command. We also have stated policies that outline who and what can be decided by others and what I have to have a say in.
    Yes, I have an opinion on most everything, but I am also willing to listen to others as long as it does not involve SAFETY or POLICY matters. Many other pinball centered shows have closed up in these strange economic times. One of the reasons we have been able to get thru everything that has been thrown at us is because there is a central control person in charge of everything. If you need a ruling on something, you ask and you get one. Quickly and finally. Right or wrong, things get done. I have worked in other situations where NOBODY was in charge and it was some of the worst times in my working life.

In the near term, I see the clutter and broken games becoming treasured attractions for the public to play. I see the tourists we are not getting now returning. I see only brighter things just around the corner. I refuse to change the way we operate around here to a totally PROFESSIONAL model. There will always be handwritten signs, a store cat, cheap prices and the best games we can provide without fancy sideshows. Just what we have always been. A big dark room full of pinball machines. YOU CAN PLAY!

#509 2 years ago
    Quoted from timarnold:

On top of that, we have a building that will NOT LEAVE US ALONE! We are involved in several legal actions involving the purchase-construction that I can not talk about here that have taken up massive amounts of time. Try sitting thru an all day deposition listening to lawyers drone on about the meaning of a word in a contract while thinking of all the machines you are NOT fixing.

That has to suck the life out of a person.

#510 2 years ago

Over & over again it seems like the same old story when I read post here. Everyone thinks they know how to run an arcade better than Tim does and seems to have something to say about how he does things.

There are three things to remember when talking about Tim (or the Pinball Hall of Fame).

First off PHoF doesn't charge admission EVERYTHING is "pay as you play" so what difference does it make how many machines are sitting "out of order" when there are hundreds of machines in the place? Just drop your quarters into a different machine!

Second PHoF isn't a business collecting money for profits (or to make the owner rich). PHoF primary purpose is to raise money for charity -- NOT to keep a few "haters" happy that want to see things run differently.

Any lastly unlike VFW (and a lot of other locations) PHoF is open EVERY DAY. PHoF is not someones hobby (or a place that is only open a few days a year) it is a business in the business of raising as much as possible for charity and doing that pretty much everyday of the year.

PHoF is not trying to be the VFW, Banning, PAPA, The National Pinball Museum (in Washington DC) or any other location like that. Personally I am grateful they are not heading down that road because all of those places (except for VFW) are now gone and their machines have been sold off. PHoF is trying to be like an old arcade - doing that well - and giving all the profits from that away. That is a hard formula to make work yet somehow Tim has done it. Instead of looking for what is wrong with PHoF how about we just be thankful Tim has managed to keep it going and keeps building it bigger & better as time goes on!

Hopefully some day soon all the "legal mess" will be behind Tim and he will finally get to see his dream fully realized. For now the last thing he really needs is to keep having to defend himself or to explain to "know it all's" why some things are the way they are right now.

Tim - keep up the great work and don't let the 'few haters" drag you down. In life doing what is "right for you" is all that really counts in the end.

#511 2 years ago

And I thought China’s 996 work policy was bad….

#512 2 years ago

4.8 million quarters dropped, good for charity. but why not take some of those and hire a tech or two to repair and restore all those games???
    I met Tim a few years ago at VFW and he told me he had over 1000 games, that way more than one man restore while operating and arcade.

I am a member of Clay's VFW. And have been there for every Showcase. A few years ago at the end of the 3 day show, with 375 guests per day and over 400 games, come Sunday at 3PM Tommy broke down and was taken to the repair center. It was the one and only game down and Clay said leave until Monday to fix it. Many of these games saw constant play for the whole weekend.

#513 2 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

4.8 million quarters dropped, good for charity. but why not take some of those and hire a tech or two to repair and restore all those games???
    I met Tim a few years ago at VFW and he told me he had over 1000 games, that way more than one man restore while operating and arcade.
    I am a member of Clay's VFW. And have been there for every Showcase. A few years ago at the end of the 3 day show, with 375 guests per day and over 400 games, come Sunday at 3PM Tommy broke down and was taken to the repair center. It was the one and only game down and Clay said leave until Monday to fix it. Many of these games saw constant play for the whole weekend.

The difference is exactly what you said here. VFW is open ONE three day weekend a year and everything in the building is flawless. That is great and that is the way Clay likes to run things. Clay has a focus of having one of the nicest collection of working machines in the world and it shows.

On the flip side of things PHoF has a focus of raising money for charity and keeping as many quarters as possible towards that goal. Tim doesn't care if 30 to 40% of the machines in the place are not working - there are plenty of working machines for people to play is the way he sees things. I am not saying this is right or wrong this is just the way Tim has decided to run his place and we all should respect him for that.

Too many people posting here want to compare VFW & PHoF and that just doesn't make sense. That is like trying to compare a Chevy to a Ferrari - both will get you where you want to go but the cheapest Ferrari cost three times as much as a Corvette so 95% of people feel as though a Vette will do just fine.

If people were paying $25 to $50 a day to get into PHoF to play all the machines in the place I could understand them being upset with a lot of non working machines. But since they are just dropping quarters what difference does it make if something isn't turned on? Maybe what Tim should have done is made the public part of the building 1/2 the size it is and just had 100% working machines out for the public to play and made the other half of the building storage & his shop area. Then 100% of the machines would be working but there would be less machines available. But instead Tim kept the shop area very small and made the public area huge in the hopes that someday he would have it full of mostly working machines for customers to enjoy.

Anyone who owns several machines knows how much work it is to keep all of them up and running and beyond that how much work it takes to make an additional machine something dependable. PHoF is doing the best they can to continue to expand their collection - get the new place off the ground - keep fighting their legal battles - etc. All I am saying is give Tim a chance to do it his way instead of keep harping about how Tim should be running his house.

Maybe people would prefer Tim just closed PHoF down to the public and just opened one weekend a year like VFW? If he did that it is highly likely he could have machines in much better shape for that one weekend a year. However I doubt he could raise over a million dollars in that one weekend so as far as charity goes he wouldn't be having the same results. VFW isn't trying to be PHoF and PHoF isn't trying to be the VFW. They are two totally different places with two totally different business models. Neither is right or wrong - what is wrong is to keep thinking PHoF should try and be more like VFW. That isn't what Tim is trying to accomplish!

So it keeps going back to the same thing. If you can't accept PHoF for what it is maybe you should just stay home. I am sure Tim would not care because he already has plenty of people dropping quarters each day. But it gets old hearing the same thing over & over again from a few people "Tim needs to hire people to work on machines" or "Tim doesn't know how to run a business". Overall I think he is doing very well and the parking lot being full most of the time proves that to me. One guys dream has done a lot of the hobby & charity over the years. Maybe we all should just be thankful for what PHoF is instead of focusing on what it isn't!

#514 2 years ago

That’s a really nice and thoughtful post and pretty much hits it right on the head

#515 2 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

That’s a really nice and thoughtful post and pretty much hits it right on the head

THANKS Clay!

I have tried to support both your place & PHoF for the entire time I have been in the hobby. Sadly I have never made it to visit VFW during one of your open houses since it typically conflicts with our Allentown Show but I did toss some cash at your original Go-Fund-Me when you were trying to raise money for the new roof and I have told countless people they should really try to make the trip out to your open house if they get the chance.

Since Covid 19 hit we have been avoiding places with lots of people in smaller buildings but I am going to try to come experience the VFW in 2022 if things change with Covid. Hopefully by 2022 more people will realize that the vaccine is the only path to an end to this mess!

I know you and Tim have always supported one another but a good many people here on pinside just keep wanting to compare the two venues (which operate under a totally different "business model"). So it is like comparing apples to grapefruit and that doesn't work.

Please keep up the great work at VFW and hopefully both you and Tim will come out of this mess in good shape. It is so sad to see places like PAPA, Banning, & The National Pinball Museum gone forever and I just wish ALL pinsiders would realize "less than perfect" is better than having nothing.

All the best to you, your volunteers and your supporters!

#516 2 years ago

actually if you're vaccinated you should come to the 2021 show which is this coming weekend. The numbers are really reduced. from a user point of view, this year will be the best vfw show yet! 475+ pingames, and less than 200 people on saturday, and less than 100 on sunday! you can't beat that!!

#517 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Pins and Pitch & Bats: 41% down.
    Pins, Pitch & Bats, videos, redemption games, arcade games (basically everything set up) : 35% down.

Are percentages a good measurement when there are hundreds of games up & running?

Put another way, which is a better arcade to visit:
    20 pins, 100% working
    400 pins, 60% working

I know which one I'm flying halfway across the country for.

#518 2 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

actually if you're vaccinated you should come to the 2021 show which is this coming weekend. The numbers are really reduced. from a user point of view, this year will be the best vfw show yet! 475+ pingames, and less than 200 people on saturday, and less than 100 on sunday! you can't beat that!!

Sadly this Fall I am involved with a ton of landscaping work at my son's house in NJ pretty much every weekend until we are finished. So a "road trip" isn't in the cards for us right now. Hopefully you have another great show! Skip

#519 2 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Second PHoF isn't a business collecting money for profits (or to make the owner rich). PHoF primary purpose is to raise money for charity -- NOT to keep a few "haters" happy that want to see things run differently.

Like many of these projects - don't get the hook too far in your mouth.

MoP, PHOF, Replay... they are all non-profits, but their primary purpose isn't the charity - It's to have a vehicle that sustains the idea of operating that collection and one that can do it under the fiscal benefits of a non-profit. Tim's commitment to basically giving away decades of his life to see his vision to fruition is admirable... but if he just wanted to raise money he could have done it a hell of a lot easier ways. Instead it's been an effort that has continued to re-invest in itself and used its revenues to continue to enhance and grow the PHOF. He's taken a project from his hit shed of memories to a multi-million dollar enterprise. It's an amazing story of dedication and perseverance. But, he's certainly spent a lot more of their profits on re-investment then he has given to the charities.

I don't question Tim's dedication one bit - the man has been at this longer than 95% of people around here - but please lets not pretend the coins in the slots are for the charities first. PHOF is an arcade first, and excess goes to the charities... excesses made possible by incredible generosity of people like Tim and those that support the vision. But the LVPCC is gaining a hell of a lot through all this too... even if they aren't taking cash distributions or salaries.

#520 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I don't question Tim's dedication one bit - the man has been at this longer than 95% of people around here - but please lets not pretend the coins in the slots are for the charities first.

You don't have to pretend. All of the PHOF complaints you've seen for years result from Tim being charity first. Every dollar spent on a professional tech or snazzy webpage is one less dollar going to charity. One could argue those investments would see an even greater return, but the man who's making it work disagrees.

Yes, I'm sure keeping the silver ball rolling is a huge emotional reward, but the primary financial motivation is charity. There are still good people in the world. Tim's one of 'em.

Quoted from flynnibus:

if he just wanted to raise money he could have done it a hell of a lot easier ways.

Pray tell how a retired arcade operator with sheds full of pinball machines can raise six (seven?) figures for charity without using the #1 tool at his disposal. We're all ears.

#521 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Like many of these projects - don't get the hook too far in your mouth.
    MoP, PHOF, Replay... they are all non-profits, but their primary purpose isn't the charity - It's to have a vehicle that sustains the idea of operating that collection and one that can do it under the fiscal benefits of a non-profit. Tim's commitment to basically giving away decades of his life to see his vision to fruition is admirable... but if he just wanted to raise money he could have done it a hell of a lot easier ways. Instead it's been an effort that has continued to re-invest in itself and used its revenues to continue to enhance and grow the PHOF. He's taken a project from his hit shed of memories to a multi-million dollar enterprise. It's an amazing story of dedication and perseverance. But, he's certainly spent a lot more of their profits on re-investment then he has given to the charities.
    I don't question Tim's dedication one bit - the man has been at this longer than 95% of people around here - but please lets not pretend the coins in the slots are for the charities first. PHOF is an arcade first, and excess goes to the charities... excesses made possible by incredible generosity of people like Tim and those that support the vision. But the LVPCC is gaining a hell of a lot through all this too... even if they aren't taking cash distributions or salaries.

I don't know how it will all come to an end but from what I have seen posted over the years once PHoF is gone the assets of PHoF will end up going to charity also if I am understanding things correctly. So Tim growing PHoF and reinvesting in it will just end up with additional money headed to charity down the road if I am understanding things correctly.

In any event as I have said more than once I doubt if anyone else here on Pinside has done more for charity than Tim. Bottom line is he is doing what he thinks is best and has been doing it that way basically forever. It works for him so who are any of us to say he is doing it wrong?

Bottom line is we can support places like PH0F & VFW or we can watch them head down the path of PAPA & Banning - the choice is yours!

#522 2 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Where is our Clay and what have you done with him? Unless you too were sitting under a coconut tree, and a giant one fell and hit you on the head as well....

#523 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Are percentages a good measurement when there are hundreds of games up & running?
    Put another way, which is a better arcade to visit:
    20 pins, 100% working
    400 pins, 60% working
    I know which one I'm flying halfway across the country for.

I think percentages are helpful especially when there have been complaints that "half of the machines are down" when it only 40%. Remember all of the complaints about Expo having "half the machines down"? I would do an accurate count to show that it was only 20 or 30%.

That said, Since I hardly play pinball these days (I just test play after I've made repairs), so it does not matter. Ironically, I'm flying to Detroit to work the VFW show this weekend, Flying back to LV to attend the G2E show next week and then will fly up to Reno and drive over to Dixon for PAGG show the following weekend.

I'll take some friends who will be in town for G2E to the PHoF on the non-gaming vendor party night. Hopefully the Bally Galahad will be up and running....

#524 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

You don't have to pretend. All of the PHOF complaints you've seen for years result from Tim being charity first.

No - a lot come from simply how Tim believes it's the best way to run an arcade. The days of his talks on "Do only one thing..." or "gotta own the building" do not come from his charitable focus, they come from his business savvy of how to run a successful arcade. The epic levels of cheap Tim preaches come from how he does everything - not because it's how to maximize the charitable contributions. It's his formula for success in everything. The more money the arcade makes, the more he can give back. They didn't NOT sell merch/food/etc before because it wouldn't help the charity - its because it didn't fit into how Tim felt the place should be ran.

Quoted from yancy:

Pray tell how a retired arcade operator with sheds full of pinball machines can raise six (seven?) figures for charity without using the #1 tool at his disposal. We're all ears.

Well see... this guy in southern california... yeah, he just proved how you can raise a million plus in a weekend.
    Or, Tim could have been routing his games and just donating everything to charity all this time too -- instead of creating his own operation.

Let's not forget the old wink-wink of it's a 'museum' -- It's an arcade.. at least now they call it that. Guess they aren't too worried about the org scrutiny anymore.

#525 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Let's not forget the old wink-wink of it's a 'museum' -- It's an arcade.. at least now they call it that.

it will become a Museum when all the games are broken and just sit there only to be looked at.

#526 2 years ago

To be honest, Tim hasn't really been donating to charity in the last 5 years (if not more.) He has been raising capital because he really wanted to build a new place on the strip, and saved the profit to have the capital to do so. And frankly, it will be a while before the PHoF does much charity donation... because the PHoF owes *tim* a boatload of money. I don't think there is any mortgage on the new building, except to Tim... that is he loaned the PHoF the additional money needed to build the new place (above the capital saved.) And paying back tim is the number one priority at this point. I used to post his donation checks to various charities on the web site. But in last many years, that came to a halt, because tim just wasn't donating much. If you ask tim i bet he can tell you a projection of when the phof debt will be paid off, and charity donations can start again. but my guess is it will be a year if not more.

#527 2 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

To be honest, Tim hasn't really been donating to charity in the last 5 years (if not more.) He has been raising capital because he really wanted to build a new place on the strip, and saved the profit to have the capital to do so. And frankly, it will be a while before the PHoF does much charity donation... because the PHoF owes *tim* a boatload of money. I don't think there is any mortgage on the new building, except to Tim... that is he loaned the PHoF the additional money needed to build the new place (above the capital saved.) And paying back tim is the number one priority at this point. I used to post his donation checks to various charities on the web site. But in last many years, that came to a halt, because tim just wasn't donating much. If you ask tim i bet he can tell you a projection of when the phof debt will be paid off, and charity donations can start again. but my guess is it will be a year if not more.

But in the end the charities will be better off because of his actions. The bigger building has likely doubled the daily quarter drop so once it is paid off his charities of choice will be doing very well again.

Like everyone else that has more than a few machines Tim is a "hoarder" first and an arcade operator second. Unlike anyone else I know of that is doing this Tim gives the money he makes from the arcade away.

I am glad to see this topic seeing some action but sadly the "new action" is back to the "same old shit" debating how Tim should run his arcade or how much money he is giving away this month. My main interest with PHoF, VFW & other venues is to see them succeed and to not see yet another Banning or PAPA a year from now. It is nice having venues with a large number of machines that can be played. But these days it would be pretty much impossible for someone to gather up enough machines to open another larger venue if they have to purchase machines to fill it. When Banning, PAPA, VFW, PHOF, etc were buying machines prices of those machines were a fraction of the cost of machines today. So every time one of these places closes it will likely never be replaced.

My advice is to quit "splitting hairs" or worrying about why or how things are run and just keep supporting these larger venues so they will be around a year or two from now. There are already too many machines sitting in private collections and not enough public places to play. So each time one of those public places closes it is a huge loss for the pinball community.

#528 2 years ago

I think you're right. the new move to the strip has at least doubled weekly intake of quarters. but with that comes other issues. as tim mentioned, the new building is driving him crazy, from a legal point of view. the 8 foot problem is probably at the core of this. But there's other issues too... the upkeep and repair of the games is probably two fold, compared to the old location (due to increased foot traffic.) In the end, in my opinion, me thinks the move was a bad idea. It just increases stress on tim. I mean what happens if the stress is so great that it actually kills tim? this isn't outside the realm... his brother (one year older) just died, and tim has had several heart attack situations. Adding stress to that life form seems like a really bad idea. And if tim passes, you'll have another Banning situation. This type of stuff concerns me... not just for tim but also for myself. though i'm younger than tim, me not a spring chicken either... that's why i try and lead a life of less stress. Unfortunately tim doesn't seem to want less stress...

#529 2 years ago

Clay,

I think we are both in 100% agreement as far as "the move" and the stress level. Sometimes something that looks great on paper can have unexpected consequences and it seems that building has been one of those cases. I am sure Tim realized it was a big undertaking and he was going to need a lot more staff to make that work but something like the unexpected mistake (building a building on someone else's property) can toss a worm in the can very quickly. Between the Covid setbacks, unexpected cost of extras needed to comply with zoning & the other "unexpected issues" I am sure Tim is really wondering if it is worth it at this point.

As far as the legal end of stuff to me it sounds like "one of the big boys" is trying to squash a "little guy" and that is really sad but it happens all the time. The "big boys" own towns like Vegas and if you somehow step on their toes they are going to make your life living hell.

None of us knows the full story but in the end I am sure if Tim knew this move was going to be this much of a PITA it wouldn't have happened. Twenty-twenty hindsight (or being a Monday morning quarterback) is easy but when you are planning something like this move it is impossible to foresee the future and what issues might pop up. Once those issues emerge is when you step back and start wondering "how did I get here"?

Right now all we can do it offer our support & hope for the best. But people "kicking Tim when he is already down" isn't helping the stress level either. So in my eyes the best thing people can do is help where they can and otherwise just leave Tim alone and give him a few months to get the rest worked out. Too many people are expecting things to be "perfect" right out of the gate. The new location has only been open a few months and is still having "growing pains".

In the end the last thing we need is another Banning. But right now things are not looking great as you pointed out above!

#530 2 years ago

To be honest any kicking of Tim that happens here on pinside probably doesn’t affect him one way or another. He doesn’t monitors any of this and he could not care less. Every once in a while he may come in and post but that’s probably just because someone around him suggested that he does that. Basically he’s oblivious to the pinside. So I don’t think people posting here are adding or subtracting from his stress level

What does affect his stress is personal interactions with people at the museum and everything surrounding that. That’s where it’s Stressful

#531 2 years ago

Man, both Tim and Clay are my heroes. Playing at PHOF on some Vegas trips got me interested in pinball again. When I got my first machine I read all of Clay’s guides and bought the videos and learned a ton and also was greatly entertained. Everything you guys do for the pinball hobby is greatly appreciated by me.

I hope Tim does well. From watching him on the various interview videos while the new place was being built and talking to him a bit during my visits, he seems like one heck of a laid back dude. Not sure if he is always like that, but man he sure seems to take things in stride. Being like that is an art form. The scale of what he is doing is nuts, I would go crazy trying to manage all that.

#532 2 years ago

After reading many posts on this thread here's 1 thing I'd like to comment; Tim has ALWAYS been very concerned on who has/gets access to his games,since
    theft has always been a major concern like when out of area techs show up (doesn't know) and says 'I'm here to work' or if someone pries open a door,and grabs the box! I read an earlier post where he has to 'guard the cash boxes. I have 1 solution- Set all games to token play!! Poof,problem solved.

#533 2 years ago

To make money you have to spend money. And that's what Tim did! Bought some land and put up a building.
    So now about 30% of 400 games are not working. So I suggested SPEND some money and get those 120 games back to Earning money.
    The broken games cannot collect my quarters and they will be in my pocket when I leave.

#534 2 years ago
    Quoted from ILovePinball:

I have 1 solution- Set all games to token play!! Poof,problem solved.

Why Tim has never done this is beyond me. It would centralize the money collected therefore controlling (which he evidently likes) the cash. Added benefit would be that not everyone will will use up every token, so they're actually spending more there than expected. Yes, I know that coining up the dies for the tokens costs $$$, but again, that is the cost of doing business. Do some cool artwork on the tokens unique to the PHOF and people would keep them as souvenirs. I'm sure he has a counter to this idea though....

#535 2 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

he could care less.

Oh - so he DOES care? If he COULD care less it means he actually DOES care!

I think you might mean "he COULDN'T care less" - expanded means - "he COULD NOT care less".

Why is this simple English so difficult for many to comprehend?

#536 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

I think you might mean "he COULDN'T care less" - expanded means - "he COULD NOT care less".

We all understood what cfh meant. Everyone's entitled to one grammatical mistake.

Quoted from ILovePinball:

I have 1 solution- Set all games to token play!! Poof,problem solved.

Who will pay for the tokens? Last I knew, Van Brook/Doran does not make them for free. The charge for custom dies is minimal or free when you purchase a large amount of tokens. Tim would need at least a weeks worth, maybe even two weeks so 200,000 tokens. Then you have to adjust half the coin mechs and then replace the other half that are not adjustable. Maybe a few hundred coin entry plates or Dremel/hacksaw them. This will take valuable time away from game repairs. Will Tim want to pay for tokens? the money could go to charity or other expenses so it's a hard sell.

Of course there are the card readers or cell-phone payment systems. But, now we're talking $200/machine and the cell phone ones get a cut per play so no-go on these routes for sure. Cash is King.

#537 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

We all understood what cfh meant. Everyone's entitled to one grammatical mistake.
    Who will pay for the tokens? Last I knew, Van Brook/Doran does not make them for free. The charge for custom dies is minimal or free when you purchase a large amount of tokens. Tim would need at least a weeks worth, maybe even two weeks so 200,000 tokens. Then you have to adjust half the coin mechs and then replace the other half that are not adjustable. Maybe a few hundred coin entry plates or Dremel/hacksaw them. This will take valuable time away from game repairs. Will Ti, want to pay for tokens? the money could go to charity or other expenses so it's a hard sell.
    Of course there are the card readers or cell-phone payment systems. But, now we're talking $200/machine and the cell phone ones get a cut per play so no-go on these routes for sure. Cash is King.

Somebody start a go-fund-me for PHOF tokens....

#538 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:Oh - so he DOES care? If he COULD care less it means he actually DOES care!

Oh boy! the English police, you must be a riot at a party, just couldn't help yourself?

#539 2 years ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Oh boy! the English police, you must be a riot at a party, just couldn't help yourself?

Yeah, at least people can understand what it is I say rather than the incorrect use as shown!

#540 2 years ago

Tokens are another set of problems. Basically they make tokens in two sizes... and it's really easy to take tokens from another facility and use them at the Phof. Also it's not just tokens, it's all the token mechs that would have to be purchased, installed, and tested in each game. It's a *huge* undertaking. And in the end, really doesn't solve any problems. It just moves the paranoia from stealing quarters to bring in tokens from chuckie cheese. I'm with tim on this, quarters and only quarters.

card readers are a whole other problem and expense. that's definitely not happening!

if it was me, and it certainly is not me, i would have a pay one price at the door concept. then you don't get lookie lou types. and you would have a face-to-face with each customer and someone guarding the door. it just moves the paranoia to another place.

I certainly hope out of town repair people can deal with all this. I suspect it will be a problem. First Phof is *nothing* like Banning. At banning the techs were alone, no quarters, no patrons... it's a lot easier to deal with. Unless they are working the midnight shift at Phof, you have to deal with people and extreme noise. It's a whole different situation. And then of course tools/parts/tim you also have to deal with. It may be a mountain many try to climb, but i suspect it won't work out well in the end. I mean i hope it does, but...

#541 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

lighten-up-francis (resized).jpglighten-up-francis (resized).jpg
    #542 2 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

[quoted image]

LOL, I was thinking of that exact same picture. Except, take out the Lighten Up, and put in "I Could Care Less, Francis"

Merriam-Webster treats the phrases couldn't care less and could care less as synonymous, both meaning "not concerned or interested at all." "Couldn't care less" is the older and more obvious phrase grammatically, but it has been confused for so long that both are now defined. Additionally, the example sentence "it's impossible that [I] could care less" is the same as the intended meaning.

#543 2 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

it sounds like "one of the big boys" is trying to squash a "little guy" and that is really sad but it happens all the time. The "big boys" own towns like Vegas and if you somehow step on their toes they are going to make your life living hell.

seriously? tim was already doing 1M+ in sales down the street on trop. now he spends/ties up 10M on a new building and doubles gross to 2M+, scoring an extra million a year. i dont believe any vegas big boys are too worried about someone taking an extra million dollars from them, especially when any other entertainment use of the PHOFs new location should be worth more than 2M in sales when compared with tims quarter dropper arcade. if i were a vegas big boy, i would be ecstatic with how little this operation actually generates given its location. perhaps some day tim break 3M at the strip location, but for now, his gross is kinda capped at whatever 28K sqft of quarter games and 100 parking spaces can generate.

#544 2 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

seriously? tim was already doing 1M+ in sales down the street on trop. now he spends/ties up 10M on a new building and doubles gross to 2M+, scoring an extra million a year. i dont believe any vegas big boys are too worried about someone taking an extra million dollars from them, especially when any other entertainment use of the that space and location should be worth more than 2M in sales when compared to a quarter dropper arcade. if i were a vegas big boy, i would be ecstatic with how little this operation actually generates given its location. perhaps some day tim break 3M at the strip location, but for now, his gross is kinda capped at whatever 28K sqft of quarter games and 100 parking spaces can generate.

One million dollars was once earned at a single day pool party at one casino in Las Vegas.

#545 2 years ago

Quarters vs tokens:
    Having worked in the arcade industry for a while at both locations that used token and ones based on quarters: you gradually loose tokens over time. It becomes a yearly expense to replace them. The upside is your cash is all concentrated in one location (the change machine). A lot of larger arcades do this for this reason.

If you use quarters you tend to gain quarters over time, even if you have change machines. You will always have people bring in their own change to spend.

#546 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

One million dollars was once earned at a single day pool party at one casino in Las Vegas.

Apples to oranges. The Vegas pool parties are like first run cinema Vs the drive inn. Both are awesome in their own way. One earns far less money, however.

I’m just saying…. Not exactly apples to oranges.
    E65940E4-99DD-4A35-B87E-EB1D26541CF3 (resized).pngE65940E4-99DD-4A35-B87E-EB1D26541CF3 (resized).png

0E1BACD7-8B80-4419-8457-581A2BDB8647 (resized).jpeg0E1BACD7-8B80-4419-8457-581A2BDB8647 (resized).jpeg
    #547 2 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

seriously? tim was already doing 1M+ in sales down the street on trop. now he spends/ties up 10M on a new building and doubles gross to 2M+, scoring an extra million a year. i dont believe any vegas big boys are too worried about someone taking an extra million dollars from them, especially when any other entertainment use of the that space and location should be worth more than 2M in sales when compared to a quarter dropper arcade. if i were a vegas big boy, i would be ecstatic with how little this operation actually generates given its location. perhaps some day tim break 3M at the strip location, but for now, his gross is kinda capped at whatever 28K sqft of quarter games and 100 parking spaces can generate.

When I said "one of the "big boys" trying to squash the "little guy" what I was talking about is maybe someone else had their eyes on that property with a different use in mind and is now trying to run Tim out with legal fights. Maybe they wanted both that lot next to PHoF and the lot Tim is currently on. Or maybe they are just upset Tim got the ground as cheap as he did.

Bottom line is that is a headache Tim doesn't need.

Quoted from cfh:

Tokens are another set of problems. Basically they make tokens in two sizes... and it's really easy to take tokens from another facility and use them at the Phof. Also it's not just tokens, it's all the token mechs that would have to be purchased, installed, and tested in each game. It's a *huge* undertaking. And in the end, really doesn't solve any problems. It just moves the paranoia from stealing quarters to bring in tokens from chuckie cheese. I'm with tim on this, quarters and only quarters.
    card readers are a whole other problem and expense. that's definitely not happening!
    if it was me, and it certainly is not me, i would have a pay one price at the door concept. then you don't get lookie lou types. and you would have a face-to-face with each customer and someone guarding the door. it just moves the paranoia to another place.

This issue with Tim changing over to pay to get in and not just dropping quarters would be at that point people would have something to really bitch about when it comes to machines now working. "I paid $30 to get into this place and 1/3 of the machines are not working". With the pay as you go business model you are just dropping quarters into machines that work and if 1/3 of the machines in the place are turned off you are not being charged for them.

Plus I think Tim is trying for the old arcade feel and dropping quarters was part of that experience.

#548 2 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

Apples to oranges. The Vegas pool parties are like first run cinema Vs the drive inn. Both are awesome in their own way. One earns far less money, however.
    I’m just saying…. Not exactly apples to oranges.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Of course, I was just pointing out, I doubt if any LV casino operation is worried about the PHOF somehow "getting some of their money". Pinball isn't even a blip. What would you rather do, get drunk as hell and party with a bunch of near-naked women? Or go play some pinball machines?

Answer: Play pinball!

#549 2 years ago

As a business owner.....cash is king.....no fees or anything else to worry about. And as any operator will tell you, employees were the biggest thieves when it came to emptying the cash boxes. On the other hand, as an owner, very easy to make a cash box contents to easily disappear without a paper trail.

#550 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

Yeah, at least people can understand what it is I say rather than the incorrect use as shown!

R U 4 REELZZZ?

There are 1,324 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-vegas-phof-opens-tomorrow-4-14-21-in-new-location-/page/11?hl=redwizard000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.