Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 402 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

area51 (resized).PNG
    0B033F21-0F10-4E5D-8BDD-1EE8824E6E79 (resized).jpeg
    20221231_165143 (resized).jpg
    20221231_123310 (resized).jpg
    Wilderness (resized).jpg
    mav (resized).PNG
    313A00FE-0CFE-476E-9EF7-73775A1307C0 (resized).jpeg
    1969_compton-ca_side (resized).jpg
    zr2 (resized).jpg
    THIS! (resized).jpg
    7e25e40e4ab125cda5a9a8e0cf084dba (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 4.54.22 PM (resized).jpg
    e5a593ab7270df18ab14efd5b30f21a2b09dfd0f (resized).jpg
    FCCCE7AC-6AA0-49D8-B0C9-1766A3C08ECB (resized).jpeg
    E976EBE4-BAC1-472F-8F84-6AC739C96070 (resized).jpeg
    C500D416-639A-419F-BE1B-F6362C64AABB (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomdrum.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I've been looking to upgrade my "getting rustier by the day" Honda CRV. Prices are insane due to supply chain issues, chip shortages for new vehicles etc. Increased demand and so forth. I know all the issues causing this and understand them. Prices for used cars are very high.

What I don't get are the a-hole sellers. I've been looking at Honda Elements, great pin hauler plus work vehicle for me. Been looking for 5 months with cash in hand. I want one with less than 150K miles, as close to rust free as possible and reasonably well maintained. I worked in automotive service sales for 20 years and know what vehicles have problems.

Yesterday a 2006 Element with just 109K miles was listed on CL 2.5 hours away. Called seller to ask a few questions. Is it inspected? "Yes, till next month"
    Red flag. If I was selling, I'd get new stickers. Not a deal breaker, I do 75% of my auto work myself. Can I look at it this Sunday (tomorrow)? NO. "All the notaries are closed. Me: "I'd just like to look it over, crawl underneath and test drive it. Get the VIN to get a CARFAX. I'll come back in a day or two with someone to drive me there so I can drive it home after title transfer." NO. "Why would you drive that far without just driving it home?" I'm concerned about underbody rust. "Can you raise the hood and text me a pic of the engine compartment?" These rust from the engine brackets down. NO, all the pictures are in my listing. Then she just hung up the phone. Total WTF. I believe I dodged a bullet with this one.

Are we now at the "Car Nazi" stage of used vehicle buying? "NO pictures for you!" I'm patient and will find one.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I wonder if we'll get a pinargument in a car thread ?
    LTG : )

I really hope not!

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

The new car market sucks too. Priced a duramax silverado 1500 today. No negotiation on the msrp and like a 6 to 8 month wait

Edmunds just reported that 80% of new car buyers are paying above MSRP.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Seller wants to get things done in one visit, that doesn't make them an asshole. Why deal with scheduling two meetings, taking time away from work, family, whatever to let a tire kicker who is not buying today "take a look?"
    I'd have hung up as well.

I'm not a "tire kicker". If it looked good, I would of given them a 2K cash deposit to hold it till I came back.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Why not just wait a day til Mon and head down then?

Work commitments. Off today.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Can we take used out of the topic title? The whole car market is upside down.

Done!

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

What I hear is, " I want to come over and kick the tires. "

Yeah, I would drive 5.5 hours roundtrip just to kick the tires.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

the OP would be admonished for expecting the seller to bend over backwards for him.

I don't think asking for a single picture before driving 5.5 hours is asking the seller to bend over backwards. Would you drive that distance to buy a 16year old pin if the seller refused a picture of the playfield?

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from TomT:

These days an Element with low miles is pretty rare I would guess she had a lot of calls and went with the first person to show up with the $$.

It's still for sale.

1 month later
    #113 2 years ago

After months of looking, I found this 81K mile 2006 Scion XB about an hour away. The new pin hauler! It's in very good condition.

scion (resized).jpgscion (resized).jpgscion 1 (resized).jpgscion 1 (resized).jpgscion 2 (resized).jpgscion 2 (resized).jpgscion 3 (resized).jpgscion 3 (resized).jpg
    #127 2 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Is everyone just sort of accepting get gouged right now? What is an acceptable price on a new Honda or Toyota? My daughter is about to graduate college and unfortunately, it's time for something new.

My local dealerships both Toyota and Honda are advertising they are selling new cars at sticker or below. Not that way in the rest of the country.

#141 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

The new pin hauler!

Brought my 1st pin home with Scion and worked great, a Bally Party Zone slid right in with the head folded down. 31 MPG hauling it thru PA hills.

1 week later
    #183 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Yep, my first thought was "how much life does this take off the starter and battery?"
    For 1 mpg.

Mercedes has been doing that for years. 1st time I drove a 2018 S550 I was WTF the 1st time I stopped. Really annoying in NYC stop and go traffic.

#186 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Does it have the bypass button that turns the "feature" off until you turn off the car?

Not that I could find. The 2020 Maybach was the same.

#195 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Go into the menu and bring up the ECO mode, you can shut it off from there.

It wasn't my car, I was getting paid to drive a multi-millionaire back and forth to NYC several times a month. I put 20K miles on it.

#197 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Isn't a multi-millionaire in NYC basically a step above homeless?

Not when you have an upper west side 3K sq ft condo in Manhattan, offices in 2 World Trade Center and own a fortune 500 company in PA. Plus own 100 rental properties.

#199 2 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

I had a battery from Autozone freeze solid (Bulging horribly). Brought it in and they threw it on their "tester". Told me it was fine. I laughed, "So frozen, bulging batteries are fine at Autozone?" Guy says....Um, no.. "So replace it" (was under warranty)....Idiot continues with the "It tests fine" BS...I was having a bad day, and wasn't in the mood for lack of brain activity....Long story short, they mentioned calling the police after I borderline lost it. I told them to go right ahead, I'll wait right here. Which resulted in me walking out with a brand new battery, and never returning to an Autozone. Morons...

LMAO. I bought a set of front brake pads from Autozone for my CRV. After installing new rotors, I realized the pads had 3 outboard pads and 1 inboard pad. I was pissed. Took another vehicle to NAPA and got the correct parts. Returned everything to Autozone. Never got an apology over the grief, and when they asked what was wrong with the rotors, "Nothing, returning them for spite". Dead silence.

#202 2 years ago

My favorite automotive parts supplier exchange after 22 years of buying parts for Firestone and AAMCO. We ran out of hand cleaner.

Me: I need a tub of GoJo sent over, PO is supplies.
    NAPA: Do you want that with or without puss?
    Me: Puss? What are you talking about?
    NAPA: Puss. Do you want it with the grit in it?
    Me: Do you mean Pumice? If so yes.
    NAPA: Oh yeah, pumice.

All time classic in the stupidity of ordering stuff.

#207 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A full page of people whining About their engine turning off and turning back on when the car stops.

I don't think people are whining about it but more wondering why that happens and the fuel savings versus the hassle of thinking the engine shut off the 1st time you experienced it. It is what is but I prefer a car that doesn't shut off at lights.

3 months later
    #282 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Think I'm gonna place an order for a 2023 Maverick Hybrid. The order window opens in a couple of weeks.

I will consider the Hybrid Maverick if it has AWD. Rumors are it will be available. The last Maverick I bought was in 1978, Grabber Orange 4 door 67K miles, with A/C which was rare. $650 and it lasted for 3 years and another 70K miles.

#284 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I just don't need AWD. I wish I could get a stock Mav with push button start and alloy rims though. I don't like that denim accent interior on the XLT and don't need all that other crap.

Push button start is totally overrated. Wait till the battery dies in the key fob, it happened to me in a 2016 Escape at a football game. Couldn't start the car, or lock it. Missed the game having it towed. Turned out the battery in the car also needed replaced. Give me a real key every time.

#287 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

If your car battery is bad, you'r F'd either way...

I was. AAA couldn't even jump start it. Battery was so burrowed the wiper arms, cowl panels and 10 other parts needed removed just to replace the battery.

#297 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Also, you can remote start. That's huge when it's cold outside and you need to warm your car up.

Remote start was a thing long before keyless ignitions.

1 week later
    #315 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballizfun:

Fobs work with dead batteries, just hold it to the button. The fact you main battery was dead would not have been fixed by having a "real key"

A real key would have allowed me to lock the car doors and attended the game instead of leaving it unlocked. To each his own, I prefer a key. I worked in automotive for 20 years and when MB came out with their push button start, they made it so the start button could be removed, and the square head fob would turn the ignition switch like a regular key in the event the battery died.

1 month later
    #328 1 year ago

My significant other wants a larger SUV than her Escape now. Doesn't want a 3rd row seat, never would get used and just hauling extra weight around. A Honda Passport fits between the CRV and Pilot.

I worked in auto service for 20 years and she wanted me to drive one locally. While she was at work today, I walked into a dealership that had one, a 2020 with 30K miles @ 32K. Asked to test drive it and explained the situation. Took a half hour to copy my license, insurance card, sign a waiver, which was fine but I hate the endless BS small talk I had to endure. Typical.

When I got in it there was a spilled soda stain on the console, looked like someone ate their lunch in the rear seats and some kind of goo on dash trim. Plus it smelled like cheap perfume inside. WTF. At least I didn't have the salesguy driving with me so I took to her work so she could see it. 1st words out of her mouth, "this interior is filthy".

Took it back and pointed out the issues. "Will you detail this before a sale?". Sure. Are car sales so easy now you'll send a customer out in a dirty 32K car which a dealership employee got into and moved to the door for me without a WTF moment when he got in it?

We'll get one, no rush but not at that dealership.

#332 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I believe the 2023 CRV is a good bit bigger than the previous gen.

Yes, it is. But after owning AAMCO transmission franchise I'm trying to avoid CVT transmissions. I been out of that business for 9 years but previous CVT's can't be rebuilt, and are problematic, but they might be better now. I went thru horror with CVT Nissans, Saturn's and Mini Coopers. So I'll pass on any CVT transmission after having to tell a customer your 28K when new car needs a $8K new tranny we have to buy from the dealer after just 60K miles.

#335 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

That's a I don't give a fuck attitude. Terrible. Don't sign until you see it's actually cleaned

Too funny. That dealership called me today and said after I pointed out the flaws in the interior, they pulled it from inventory and sent it to auction. Beyond just a "clean-up" I assume. "Is they any others on our lot that interest you?" NO, thanks.

#336 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

What about 4runner? Have you considered that. Damn thing will last forever.
    Also, used Lexus GX460 is a fancy 4runner and will also last forever.

She doesn't want 3rd row seats.

#338 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Do 4r's have three rows now? I haven't kept up. Honestly, my choice would be a Land Cruiser and if third row is not desired remove the seats. My family loves my TLC.

Some trim levels have 2 rows, others 3. I looked at several but they are above our budget. 2018 models with 70K miles are fetching $35K or more.

#340 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I hear ya, but that '18, 17K mile 4R will last far longer than any Passport.

It's a 2018 with 70K miles.

While I agree that miles aren't as big a factor as how it will last, getting her to trade a paid off 2016 Escape with the same mileage to incur 18K+ in payments isn't happening.

My daily driver is a recently purchased 2006 Scion XB I bought with just 82K miles. The perfect pin hauler that gets 32mpg.

#342 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Once again I hear ya. I'm somone that sold a 2 yr old Subaru Crosstrek I bought new to buy a 13 year old Toyotal Land Cruiser with 135K miles. Now it's seven years older with just over 200K miles and it's been bullet proof. I'm biased towards the Toyo SUV.
    Funny thing is, my primary reason was to get a third row, so opposite your situation.

Great trade up vs age.

She thinks an upgrade is newer with less miles. Not always true. I bought a 16 year old Scion XB with low mileage for more than a newer car by year. Why? They last 400K miles and this one was really nice.

1 week later
    #353 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Maverick Hybrid pre-order banks closed last night. Ecoboost closes tonight. There are dealers now upcharging thousands above MSRP even for preorders.
    I just hope I actually get mine.

I'd like a Maverick but looks like I'll wait a year to get one until hopefully the inventory increases.

Friday we're going car shopping. GF wants a larger SUV than her 2016 Escape. Looking at 2019 & 2020 Honda Passports & Pilots and Toyota Highlanders. With a 15K trade and 3K in cash we're looking at 35-37K vehicles.

#357 1 year ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

May seem boring but keep what you got, use those monthly payments for monthly excursions. You guys aren’t married to car payments are you?

No current car payments for either of us. She paid off the last car loan in less that 1/2 the term with double payments and with an almost 800 credit score, rates will be as low as they can be given the current market.

The Escape needs to go. Twice now after it sat for a couple days a large puff of white smoke left the tailpipe. After doing research the Ford Eco-Boost engines have a design flaw that allows small cracks to develop, and coolant enters the cylinders. Ford is facing 3 class action lawsuits which just moved forward when a judge combined them. Ford's solution to the problem is to sell you a new engine with the same flaw they knew existed since 2010. Trade value is so high, time to dump it before the problem gets worse.

https://www.lieffcabraser.com/2021/05/ford-ecoboost-engine-defect-lawsuits-consolidated-in-california/

No more Fords for us.

#358 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I may be waiting a year for the one I ordered this weekend. I hope not.

A year? Holy hell. I see used Mavericks with 5-10K miles selling for above new MSRP.

3 months later
    #370 1 year ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

Yes, but if you wait a little longer you will see more incentives. (Doing same thing, although my truck won't be available till April) There are some incentives already... Will be more as dealers have lots of stock and lots more on the way, and time are tough for many.

Agree. Been looking to upgrade my truck with a newer used one. Prices still higher than normal (pre-shortages) but inventory is increasing as higher interest rates are slowing sales. Patience if a want not a need.

2 weeks later
    #382 1 year ago

Selling a car and it's listed on Autotrader, FB marketplace and CL. I'm used to all the normal scammers but today's was a step above. Got a text asking about the car. Asked quite a few questions that a normal buyer might ask. Car comes with extra wheels and tires and asked for a picture of those. Set up a time tomorrow to look at it. Cool.

Asked what town he lived in. Given one about 45 minutes away. Asked for a copy of the CFR, which I assumed was Car Fax Report. It's Carfactsfinder.com which looks like a legitimate web site. Told him I have a Car Fax Report when I purchased it 8 months ago and nothing changed but the mileage.

Said he didn't trust Car Fax and it's just a $25 report. Turns out after some research that's a scam website that steals your $25 and then screws you once they get your credit card number.

Sellers beware.

1 month later
    #389 1 year ago

After a 3 month search I was able to upgrade my 1999 Mazda B3000 truck. After looking at multiple makes and models, I found a used Honda Ridgeline RTL from a private seller. Seller had a mini stroke and can't drive anymore after just owning it 6 weeks because of vision problems. It was 160 miles away and I drove out to look at it. Really nice, better than the pictures with every add on accessory possible. Asked for best price and he said just needs it gone, tired of dealing with scammers and dropped price 3K which was $2200 under KBB private party value without the $1.5K in dealer accessories. Sold! Handed him 3K in cash as deposit and returned in 2 days to transfer title.

I have AAA Premier which provides one 200 mile tow per year so in the past I just called my local tow company and had them go pickup and deliver my vehicle purchase rather than having to drag someone along for a long drive. They changed the policy. Tow must originate from the vehicle location not my home. So I had to drive back out a 3rd time to make the tow work. LOL.

#393 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Did you have to be there in person? I suppose, or why just say you were at the car, but were tied up?

I had to drive back because I took all the keys with me figuring I just give one to my local tow company (owner and I have a long history from my 20 years in the service industry) which is just 1.5 miles away. I told AAA it overheated there and I got a ride home. I wouldn't of needed to be at the vehicle if I had left a key.

#394 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Congrats, love my Ridgeline!

I've driven 100's of pickups when I was in automotive service. Nothing rides as nice as a Ridgeline. For the 2021 Pinfest show I rented a U-Haul truck to haul 6 games and my parts to set up in the flea market because I didn't think the 22-year-old Mazda truck could handle a trailer. $647 rental. This Ridgeline will be the Pinfest tow vehicle.

1 week later
    #397 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Had a Maverick pop up somewhat local. This is an XLT Hybrid with the Lux Package, spray in bedliner, and Copilot 360. I think the PRO pack is short for profit as it includes security lug nuts, tint, and floor mats for only $2,269.
    This is actually a lot better than some are asking, but I'm just going to hold out for my order at a no-fee dealer which is ~$26,500 OTD if they ever build it.
    [quoted image]

WTF, Doc fees are $1199 and "non tax fees" $453.50!

#399 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Yeah, Florida has no caps on that shi*. We do have a few no-doc-fee dealers. I have an order with one of them. Taxes are ~$1,500 and legit fees are ~$524. That's it. No add-on BS. Is it gonna get built though? That's a bend-over deal in that screengrab, but I've actually seen far worse. Maverick Hybrids are unobtanium.

Those are insane fees. My last divorce cost less with a real lawyer.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomdrum.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-used-car-market-sucks-rant?tu=tomdrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.