Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 402 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

area51 (resized).PNG
    0B033F21-0F10-4E5D-8BDD-1EE8824E6E79 (resized).jpeg
    20221231_165143 (resized).jpg
    20221231_123310 (resized).jpg
    Wilderness (resized).jpg
    mav (resized).PNG
    313A00FE-0CFE-476E-9EF7-73775A1307C0 (resized).jpeg
    1969_compton-ca_side (resized).jpg
    zr2 (resized).jpg
    THIS! (resized).jpg
    7e25e40e4ab125cda5a9a8e0cf084dba (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 4.54.22 PM (resized).jpg
    e5a593ab7270df18ab14efd5b30f21a2b09dfd0f (resized).jpg
    FCCCE7AC-6AA0-49D8-B0C9-1766A3C08ECB (resized).jpeg
    E976EBE4-BAC1-472F-8F84-6AC739C96070 (resized).jpeg
    C500D416-639A-419F-BE1B-F6362C64AABB (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcluvin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#126 2 years ago

Is everyone just sort of accepting get gouged right now? What is an acceptable price on a new Honda or Toyota? My daughter is about to graduate college and unfortunately, it's time for something new.

#128 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

My local dealerships both Toyota and Honda are advertising they are selling new cars at sticker or below. Not that way in the rest of the country.

I'll fly up to PA for that. Thanks!

#143 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

I ordered a Bronco, which is one of the most popular new cars out there for $1k under MSRP 2 months ago. I probably won’t get it until early 2023 tho. Most other vehicles I looked at were at or under MSRP with a wait time of 2-3 months.

I can't even order a Maverick Hybrid until August. Trying to find an XLT Hybrid with the Luxury package and not get gouged. I found one about 100 miles away and I've searched a large portion of the US using the 500 mile radius hack.

#149 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

I stopped at a Ford dealership near me the other day and they had a Mach 1 priced 10k above sticker

I think that's actually not bad for the Mach 1. There's a used Maverick XLT for ~$40K at one of my local dealers.

#151 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Nah, it’s a free market. Dealerships are pretty barren currently. You aren’t finding a Bronco or Maverick at MSRP anywhere in the country on a lot right now.

Some folks are getting lucky snagging custom orders that don't get picked, but yeah, most dealers are tacking on crazy ADM.

#154 2 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

2005 Prius (wife bought years before we met, only owner)
    Just a note have you replaced the batteries yet on that?
    I was talking to a tech over at my Toyota dealer about their Avalon Hybrid and we got discussing batteries. The Prius at that time (maybe 2 years ago) she said would be $3,000 to replace and guaranteed for 100,000 miles. Just googled it and came up with between $2,200 and $4,100.
    It does get good mileage but that battery price!

Much cheaper here...

https://www.texashybridbatteries.com/batteries

#157 2 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

I did a quick search on cars.com for Bronco and came up with at least a dozen in a 500 mile radius listed at MSRP. Most are 2021s, but a few 2022s.

Try to buy one. I can find Mavericks at MSRP too until I call.

#172 2 years ago
    Quoted from LateCenturyMods:

This looks potentially useful. Search by state, vehicle, etc. for your dealer's markup here. There are even some listed with no markup at all.
    https://markups.org/

That is somewhat useful, but you still have a good chance of getting the mandatory $1800 protection package and $800 doc fee. ADM by a different name. If you are in the market for a particular vehicle, join a forum for that vehicle and read and share info. There are a very few dealerships that don't sharge ADM or crazy doc fees and they will probably be out of state.

#177 2 years ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Wow! That's crazy. I am pretty bummed at $5 but I at least get paid to move my vehicles.

I saw $3.50/ gallon unleaded yesterday. Hopefully starting to really move back down…

#187 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Yep, being unaware of this "improvement" in automotive design until we bought the new Odyssey, my first thought was "how much life does this take off the starter and battery?"
    For 1 mpg.

Add that to the .5 mpg Hondas save by not keeping the battery fully charged. Batteries in my Hondas last about 2 years max. Batteries in my Toyota go 4 to 5 as they should.

You can turn off idle stop permanently by repinning 1 wire.

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/permanently-disable-auto-stop-start.157665/

#193 2 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

What the hell? When I finally get rid of my 13' MDX Advance, If I get something with the engine shutdown I WILL find a way to permanently disable it. I also guess I won't be buying another Honda/Acura if they have that battery nonsense. I previously owned an 05' TL, bought it with 15k, drove it until 170k, literally nothing broke, nothing. That is the only reason I bought the MDX instead of a Tahoe. Should have bought the Tahoe, I've had so much work done on the MDX (All under warranty until it expired in December) its like owning an American or German Vehicle. (My Sierras and BMW 7 series were repair nightmares).
    The MDX engine and suspension failures are cool btw...

If you buy your battery from a place that doesn't give you a hard time, it's not so bad. Most places offer free replacement if a battery fails within 3 years. so you are practically guaranteed a new battery at year 2. Where it becomes a hassle is when places try to fuc* with ya. Advanced Auto likes to play this game where they want to throw it on the charger then test the battery. You can't accurately test a car battery that way. There is a memory from the charge for a few hours afterwards. But most people don't know and just say screw it and buy a new battery vs the hassle. When you call them on the BS they give you the new battery.

#234 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Im starting to think the Silverado Ev is my best option

"Final pricing set by dealer."

Prepare to get bent over. It does look nice though...

#264 2 years ago

If any of you were thinking about a RAV4 Prime, that $7500 tax credit is soon to be a piss in the wind....

3 months later
    #279 1 year ago

Think I'm gonna place an order for a 2023 Maverick Hybrid. The order window opens in a couple of weeks. Gonna try to keep it as bone stock as possible to avoid delays.

Anybody else shopping for a new car? If so, are you seeing any improvement in the market?

#283 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

I will consider the Hybrid Maverick if it has AWD. Rumors are it will be available. The last Maverick I bought was in 1978, Grabber Orange 4 door 67K miles, with A/C which was rare. $650 and it lasted for 3 years and another 70K miles.

I just don't need AWD. I wish I could get a stock Mav with push button start and alloy rims though. I don't like that denim accent interior on the XLT and don't need all that other crap.

#286 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Push button start is totally overrated. Wait till the battery dies in the key fob, it happened to me in a 2016 Escape at a football game. Couldn't start the car, or lock it. Missed the game having it towed. Turned out the battery in the car also needed replaced. Give me a real key every time.

I can't speak for Fords, but with Hondas there is a real key inside the key fob. That will get you in the car. If you hold the fob directly against the push button, even with a dead fob battery, it will still start the car. If your car battery is bad, you'r F'd either way...

#294 1 year ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Best feature? I don't see much benefit and it's just needless complexity. The one in my VW sometimes acts up saying key is out of range or some other kind of error. If there really is an issue, the car may let you drive off somewhere and then not want to start up again. That happened to me one time. There are ways to get around these things but why? Putting a key into an ignition was never an issue. The only plus is it's slightly convenient to hit a button instead of fishing keys out of your pocket and sticking them into something.

In a Honda with push-button start you can't lock your keys in your car. Also, you can remote start. That's huge when it's cold outside and you need to warm your car up.

#298 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Remote start was a thing long before keyless ignitions.

How many key cars have remote start standard? That's my point.

#302 1 year ago
    Quoted from BeachPickle:

I don’t see a single benefit of the keyless fobs?

My mom keeps her push-start fob in her purse. She had my Dad drop her off somewhere while he continued on to another town in her car. He gets where he’s going and shuts the car off.. the key is over 40 minutes away with my Mom.

No thanks..

My car beeps like crazy when the fob gets a certain distance from the car while it is still running. That's nuts...

#312 1 year ago

2023 Ford Maverick order window was supposed to open 8/2. It has just been delayed to 9/15. Just a total clusterfu**...

#314 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

It’ll be a wait on anything new that’s in demand

Well that's been pretty obvious for awhile. Six days before the big day they anounce the delay in our ability to order? It's understood I'm not going to actually get it anytime soon.

3 weeks later
    #326 1 year ago

I actually saw 2 Mavericks (one used) at my local dealership and 2 at the same intersection today. The new one is already gone.

2 weeks later
    #330 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

My significant other wants a larger SUV than her Escape now. Doesn't want a 3rd row seat, never would get used and just hauling extra weight around. A Honda Passport fits between the CRV and Pilot.
    I worked in auto service for 20 years and she wanted me to drive one locally. While she was at work today, I walked into a dealership that had one, a 2020 with 30K miles @ 32K. Asked to test drive it and explained the situation. Took a half hour to copy my license, insurance card, sign a waiver, which was fine but I hate the endless BS small talk I had to endure. Typical.
    When I got in it there was a spilled soda stain on the console, looked like someone ate their lunch in the rear seats and some kind of goo on dash trim. Plus it smelled like cheap perfume inside. WTF. At least I didn't have the salesguy driving with me so I took to her work so she could see it. 1st words out of her mouth, "this interior is filthy".
    Took it back and pointed out the issues. "Will you detail this before a sale?". Sure. Are car sales so easy now you'll send a customer out in a dirty 32K car which a dealership employee got into and moved to the door for me without a WTF moment when he got in it?
    We'll get one, no rush but not at that dealership.

I believe the 2023 CRV is a good bit bigger than the previous gen.

#333 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Yes, it is. But after owning AAMCO transmission franchise I'm trying to avoid CVT transmissions. I been out of that business for 9 years but previous CVT's can't be rebuilt, and are problematic, but they might be better now. I went thru horror with CVT Nissans, Saturn's and Mini Coopers. So I'll pass on any CVT transmission after having to tell a customer your 28K when new car needs a $8K new tranny we have to buy from the dealer after just 60K miles.

I've got 175K miles on my 2016 Honda CVT with no problems. Knock on wood. But I can't tow anything with it. I'd prefer an automatic too.

#346 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

We will be due a new minivan in the not so distant future. I'm going to do my best to talk my wife into a Toyota, but she is so damn attached to her Odyysey I don't know if I'm going to be successful. I have heard a ton of reports of major problems with the Odyy, but we have been lucky. It's 10 years old and 170K miles. I keep up the service and it is still running like a champ despite how hard my wife drives. She's all accelrate and then instant brake.

I'd say keep driving it. My 2012 CR-V with 250K+ is still going strong, other than paint. I'm gonna keep it as long as I can. This market is still f'd up.

#349 1 year ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Ha, my wife has an 08', she's wants a Lexus...I'm ignoring it, can't kill the CRV.. just replaced the o-rings on the power steering for the second time...

Just did this on my kid’s boyfriend’s Accord. The one in front was hard as a rock.

1 week later
    #351 1 year ago

2023 Ford Maverick order banks opened Thursday evening. Per this letter from Ford, they will close by the middle of the week. I got MSRP with no dealer fees. And now for the long wait...

mav (resized).PNGmav (resized).PNG

#352 1 year ago

Maverick Hybrid pre-order banks closed last night. Ecoboost closes tonight. There are dealers now upcharging thousands above MSRP even for preorders.

I just hope I actually get mine.

#355 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

I'd like a Maverick but looks like I'll wait a year to get one until hopefully the inventory increases.

I may be waiting a year for the one I ordered this weekend. I hope not.

#363 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Tried out the Ford Maverick but it felt too cramped inside. The Rav4 was the closest competitor for my dollars. Would have gotten a plug in hybrid if I could get one but those are selling WAY over sticker... with a wait.

This is for my kid who is just starting out. My oldest got a Civic and it's a good car, but just has no utility. The Mav will be great for her if we can actually get one. Everybody wants that hybrid though.

#365 1 year ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Kinda surprised you saw your trade-in for sale locally, usually dealers trade cars out of area so local customers cant see how badly they got screwed on their trade.

Lack of inventory I’m guessing. They get a car to sell, it goes on the lot.

3 months later
    #372 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Pretty sure dealers are going to try and hold on to MSRP and market adjustments as long as they can

Yep!

1 month later
    #386 1 year ago

If you want a new F150, my local dealership has lots. If you want a Maverick, bend over or keep waiting.

A couple of my local Toyota dealerships have been sitting on more than a few new RAV4s for at least a couple of weeks. That's something I haven't seen in awhile.

1 week later
    #396 1 year ago

Had a Maverick pop up somewhat local. This is an XLT Hybrid with the Lux Package, spray in bedliner, and Copilot 360. I think the PRO pack is short for profit as it includes security lug nuts, tint, and floor mats for only $2,269.

This is actually a lot better than some are asking, but I'm just going to hold out for my order at a no-fee dealer which is ~$26,500 OTD if they ever build it.

area51 (resized).PNGarea51 (resized).PNG

#398 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

WTF, Doc fees are $1199 and "non tax fees" $453.50!

Yeah, Florida has no caps on that shi*. We do have a few no-doc-fee dealers. I have an order with one of them. Taxes are ~$1,500 and legit fees are ~$524. That's it. No add-on BS. Is it gonna get built though? That's a bend-over deal in that screengrab, but I've actually seen far worse. Maverick Hybrids are unobtanium.

#400 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Those are insane fees. My last divorce cost less with a real lawyer.

Yeah, they are getting someone for an extra $4K or so there and someone did buy it. I knew they would. If I put $12K down on that truck, my kid is still on the hook for ~$450/month for 5 years. That's insane and I'm not doing that.

2 weeks later
    #402 1 year ago

Audi is offering extra discounts via the Costco Auto Program. My local Mazda dealer has a shi*-ton of Mazda SUVs ( CX30, CX5, CX50, and a few Miatas). Honda dealer has next to nothing and Toyota dealer is a little better (a few non-hybrid RAV4s). A recent quote from a Honda dealer I've bought from before is ~$40K OTD for a Hybrid CR-V. I won't be doing that. I think if the Maverick doesn't come through, we're gonna do a RAV4 Hybrid. I can order and get one of those for low to mid-30s OTD which is about the same as street price on a Hybrid Maverick, only the RAV4 is a little more actually worth it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcluvin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-used-car-market-sucks-rant?tu=mcluvin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.