Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 402 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

area51 (resized).PNG
    0B033F21-0F10-4E5D-8BDD-1EE8824E6E79 (resized).jpeg
    20221231_165143 (resized).jpg
    20221231_123310 (resized).jpg
    Wilderness (resized).jpg
    mav (resized).PNG
    313A00FE-0CFE-476E-9EF7-73775A1307C0 (resized).jpeg
    1969_compton-ca_side (resized).jpg
    zr2 (resized).jpg
    THIS! (resized).jpg
    7e25e40e4ab125cda5a9a8e0cf084dba (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 4.54.22 PM (resized).jpg
    e5a593ab7270df18ab14efd5b30f21a2b09dfd0f (resized).jpg
    FCCCE7AC-6AA0-49D8-B0C9-1766A3C08ECB (resized).jpeg
    E976EBE4-BAC1-472F-8F84-6AC739C96070 (resized).jpeg
    C500D416-639A-419F-BE1B-F6362C64AABB (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinMonk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#76 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

The new car market sucks too. Priced a duramax silverado 1500 today. No negotiation on the msrp and like a 6 to 8 month wait

SF Bay area dealers are asking (and getting) $4-6k OVER msrp on new Honda Odysseys. We felt LUCKY to find the color/model we were looking for at "only" $2k over msrp. The dealership we bought from is selling them literally before they hit the lot. If our 2008 Odyssey wasn't on its last legs with major repairs needed to keep it going past 250k miles, I would have waited, but we didn't have a choice. Definitely NOT a buyer-friendly market.

#110 2 years ago
    Quoted from jitneystand1:

Looking at new RAV4 hybrids for the wife in/near the Omaha market. Is there any hope of getting one for MSRP right now?
    Or maybe a better question to anyone familiar with the market…what is a fair deal to get right now, relative to MSRP?

Before the pandemic, the all-electric RAV4s were compliance cars in CA. You could get a lease for like $60/mo. With rebates and stuff in certain parts of CA (central valley) they were PAYING you to drive it once you netted out the rebates and incentives.

Like I said in an earlier post we got a '22 Odyssey around Thanksgiving last year 5 minutes after it was dropped off at the dealer for $2k over MSRP and that was a good deal in CA right now. The car market is crazy. Even if you're willing to pay the $2k over, there are others just like you, so right place/right time is a factor too. I was tracking cars enroute to dealerships to up our chances.

#112 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

How do you do that?

I don't know about other brands, but for Honda you can go to their website, select the car you want, then scroll to the bottom of that car's page and there's a "search inventory" link. Put in your zip code and it will tell you if there are any cars nearby. It counts them as in stock if they are on the lot or enroute.

So, to find which dealers have the car(s) and what options/colors they are, you have to flip through all the options and all the colors and it will update the list to the right of the color/options area. You're looking for the ones that say "x the lot" or "x in transit." Preferably "in transit" because the "on the lot" ones are probably gone or spoken for. Don't bother with the dealers that have "we can help you find it."

I was checking this every day to find the one we eventually bought. That's why it was ours within about 5 minutes of coming off the delivery truck (actually even before, the salesman reserved it for us while we drove down to meet the truck).

You can go through the options and colors pretty fast once you get the hang of it.

crv-example (resized).jpgcrv-example (resized).jpg

1 month later
    #119 1 year ago
    Quoted from locksmith:

Picking up this 2017 grand caravan tomorrow. 23,000 miles garage kept 1 owner. Looks better than new.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like the playfield of some Jurassic Park pins that have been mod-bombed.

#129 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Is everyone just sort of accepting get gouged right now? What is an acceptable price on a new Honda or Toyota? My daughter is about to graduate college and unfortunately, it's time for something new.

It might be easing up now a little, but it wasn't that way late last year. As far as I know in CA, at least, for popular cars, you're paying $2k-$8k over MSRP, depending on where you go IF you can find the car you want. And most of the ones that do this don't mark up the MSRP, they load it with a ton of worthless junk to give you the "value" when in reality of say $5k of junk they add they're paying maybe $500, so it's essentially an MSRP markup, straight up.

#134 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Ordering a new vehicle is probably the best bet, most vehicles you can get at or below MSRP this way. Used market is insane right now.

New market is insane, too. Ordering will not allow even MSRP on popular cars.

#139 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

I ordered a Bronco, which is one of the most popular new cars out there for $1k under MSRP 2 months ago. I probably won’t get it until early 2023 tho. Most other vehicles I looked at were at or under MSRP with a wait time of 2-3 months.

Well, if you're willing to wait a year, then your plan is probably good in some markets. But hopefully general availability will be better a year from now anyway. However, if you need a car now or soon, you're pretty much SOL unless you're paying over MSRP.

1 week later
    #180 1 year ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

I think the EV Silverado will be awesome! The wait might be an issue. I have considered the Escalade ESV with the diesel but with the jump in fuel you only save a fraction per mile. In addition, it's not great to idle a lot with the diesels that use DEF. This is an issue for me as my limos tend to idle a bunch.

Just be glad your limos CAN idle. The new hondas (including the Odyssey we just bought) have this dumb thing where when you're stopped they turn OFF the car, then when you let off the brake, they automatically turn ON the car.

To save 1mpg.

And you can't turn it off permanently. You have to press a button every time you start the car to tell it not to do that crap. REALLY irritating. I had a newer lincoln pull up next to me at a stop light and I heard it do the same thing, so it must be the new fad across multiple car manufacturers to fake better EPA ratings.

#182 1 year ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Great for the starter

Yep, being unaware of this "improvement" in automotive design until we bought the new Odyssey, my first thought was "how much life does this take off the starter and battery?"

For 1 mpg.

#184 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Mercedes has been doing that for years. 1st time I drove a 2018 S550 I was WTF the 1st time I stopped. Really annoying in NYC stop and go traffic.

Does it have the bypass button that turns the "feature" off until you turn off the car?

#190 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Add that to the .5 mpg Hondas save by not keeping the battery fully charged. Batteries in my Hondas last about 2 years max. Batteries in my Toyota go 4 to 5 as they should.
    You can turn off idle stop permanently by repinning 1 wire.
    https://www.piloteers.org/threads/permanently-disable-auto-stop-start.157665/

This is great. Only a matter of time before I bite the bullet and do this fix.

#196 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

It wasn't my car, I was getting paid to drive a multi-millionaire back and forth to NYC several times a month. I put 20K miles on it.

Isn't a multi-millionaire in NYC basically a step above homeless?

#206 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A full page of people whining About their engine turning off and turning back on when the car stops.
    I can’t for the life of me figure out what you guys are complaining about, beyond the faint whiff of “eco terrorism” to the whole thing.
    I been driving around various rental cars for two weeks straight that all work like this and it doesn’t seem to be much of a problem. When I hit the gas, the car goes. When I stop the car, the car stops.
    OMG?

It's the delay. It's weird and don't like. For $45k, I should like. We also have VERY HOT summers where weeks of 110F+ are not uncommon, which is hell on batteries and starters. I doubt this not-awesome system was tested in a climate like ours.

And I'm all for eco stuff, just not dumb stuff like that. I was trying to hold out for the all-electric Odyssey, but we couldn't make it. Our 2008 had other ideas. My wife has had an all electric and a hybrid and the all-electric beat the hybrid by a mile. WAY more fun to drive and no stupid features like the hybrid's "maintenance mode" kicking in at the worst time to keep the gas side functional even though we never used it.

#208 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

It is what is but I prefer a car that doesn't shut off at lights.

For a whopping ~1 mpg savings. Not worth the hassle. If I was getting 5mpg more or 10mpg more, then I would put up with it.

3 months later
    #299 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

In a Honda with push-button start you can't lock your keys in your car. Also, you can remote start. That's huge when it's cold outside and you need to warm your car up.

Or when it's 110F outside and you want to start cooling the car before you get to it.

I'm not a fan of the fobs, but the remote start is a perk to offset the negatives of the change.

#307 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I like the "open the windows" feature. I don't like starting the car remotely because mine honks the horn quickly 3 times when it starts remotely. Opening the windows is silent and lets the hottest air billow out of the car before I open the door.

We had the "open all windows" on our 2008, but not the remote start. For remote start, ours just flashes the tail lights 3 times. Honking would be annoying. What is in the heads of car designers to DO that?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinMonk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-used-car-market-sucks-rant?tu=PinMonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.