Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 402 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

area51 (resized).PNG
    0B033F21-0F10-4E5D-8BDD-1EE8824E6E79 (resized).jpeg
    20221231_165143 (resized).jpg
    20221231_123310 (resized).jpg
    Wilderness (resized).jpg
    mav (resized).PNG
    313A00FE-0CFE-476E-9EF7-73775A1307C0 (resized).jpeg
    1969_compton-ca_side (resized).jpg
    zr2 (resized).jpg
    THIS! (resized).jpg
    7e25e40e4ab125cda5a9a8e0cf084dba (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 4.54.22 PM (resized).jpg
    e5a593ab7270df18ab14efd5b30f21a2b09dfd0f (resized).jpg
    FCCCE7AC-6AA0-49D8-B0C9-1766A3C08ECB (resized).jpeg
    E976EBE4-BAC1-472F-8F84-6AC739C96070 (resized).jpeg
    C500D416-639A-419F-BE1B-F6362C64AABB (resized).jpeg
    There are 402 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
    #1 2 years ago

I've been looking to upgrade my "getting rustier by the day" Honda CRV. Prices are insane due to supply chain issues, chip shortages for new vehicles etc. Increased demand and so forth. I know all the issues causing this and understand them. Prices for used cars are very high.

What I don't get are the a-hole sellers. I've been looking at Honda Elements, great pin hauler plus work vehicle for me. Been looking for 5 months with cash in hand. I want one with less than 150K miles, as close to rust free as possible and reasonably well maintained. I worked in automotive service sales for 20 years and know what vehicles have problems.

Yesterday a 2006 Element with just 109K miles was listed on CL 2.5 hours away. Called seller to ask a few questions. Is it inspected? "Yes, till next month"
    Red flag. If I was selling, I'd get new stickers. Not a deal breaker, I do 75% of my auto work myself. Can I look at it this Sunday (tomorrow)? NO. "All the notaries are closed. Me: "I'd just like to look it over, crawl underneath and test drive it. Get the VIN to get a CARFAX. I'll come back in a day or two with someone to drive me there so I can drive it home after title transfer." NO. "Why would you drive that far without just driving it home?" I'm concerned about underbody rust. "Can you raise the hood and text me a pic of the engine compartment?" These rust from the engine brackets down. NO, all the pictures are in my listing. Then she just hung up the phone. Total WTF. I believe I dodged a bullet with this one.

Are we now at the "Car Nazi" stage of used vehicle buying? "NO pictures for you!" I'm patient and will find one.

#2 2 years ago

I wonder if we'll get a pinargument in a car thread ?

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I wonder if we'll get a pinargument in a car thread ?
    LTG : )

I really hope not!

#4 2 years ago

I just pointed out in another thread that LOTRs have basically gone up $2k.

Oh wait.

Pickup truck prices are insane right now, even for rusty high milage junk heaps.

#5 2 years ago

Seller wants to get things done in one visit, that doesn't make them an asshole. Why deal with scheduling two meetings, taking time away from work, family, whatever to let a tire kicker who is not buying today "take a look?"

I'd have hung up as well.

#6 2 years ago

For the first time that I can recall vehicles have/ had become an investment upon purchase.

#7 2 years ago

The new car market sucks too. Priced a duramax silverado 1500 today. No negotiation on the msrp and like a 6 to 8 month wait

#8 2 years ago

I have a friend with a new car dealership, other dealers are offering over MSRP for trucks he has in stock! Very tight market on stuff right now.

#9 2 years ago

I drive a 2015 Chevy city express (small cargo van) that I bought from my old boss. The MSRP was around $30k new, and they bought a fleet of them for a deal. When covid hit, the company had to close down. We were able to purchase the van for the balance of what was owed. So I paid about $6k for a van with close to 125000 km on it.

The other day I was looking at local pricing, and with 150km on the dash these are selling for $18-$20k.

#10 2 years ago

Just really glad I don't need a vehicle right now. You think pinball prices are insane... We have 2 2008 Toyota 4runners. Yes 2. I love these things. They are one of the best vehicles period. I can get 300,000 miles plus out these babies by just changing the oil and a tune once in a awhile. They can easily haul a machine in any weather condition to damn near anywhere. (bold statement in Colorado) Very safe in an accident. Gotta protect my girls. But to find a used one now in Colorado? Needle in a hay stack... The dealer I bought my last one from (2019) calls regularly to see if I would sell it back to them.

#11 2 years ago

You’ll find the right one eventually. I had the same experience trying to pickup a 2nd Gen Lightning. I had the exact same experience as you. It was 6 hours away and said I’d be down on a date we both agreed (2 days from then) and said I don’t have anyone I can drag with me to take it home but can pay cash or leave cash deposit as he said negotiations in person only. Only to tell me he was only going to take asking price and not to bother.

Thankfully with some patience one came around for a better price and all original. But had to drive to Tennessee and trailer it home. It actually was a blast for a mini trip with my best friend.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

The new car market sucks too. Priced a duramax silverado 1500 today. No negotiation on the msrp and like a 6 to 8 month wait

Edmunds just reported that 80% of new car buyers are paying above MSRP.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Seller wants to get things done in one visit, that doesn't make them an asshole. Why deal with scheduling two meetings, taking time away from work, family, whatever to let a tire kicker who is not buying today "take a look?"
    I'd have hung up as well.

I'm not a "tire kicker". If it looked good, I would of given them a 2K cash deposit to hold it till I came back.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

I'm not a "tire kicker". If it looked good, I would of given them a 2K cash deposit to hold it till I came back.

Seller doesn’t know that. Even common sense query’s like yours seem like too much work, although I agree with your concerns. These days buy it and hope.

I’m a dealer technician and our used car manager just approved a 10k engine job on a 94k trade in without blinking. Prices are 5 grand over book value regularly cuz folks are buying.

#15 2 years ago

I've owned 2 salvage vehicles and had very good experiences with both.

In 2009 I got a 2008 Dodge Avenger for $8k with about 20k miles on it and handed it down to my son who sold it last year w 167k.

I'm driving a 2017 Dodge Ram Big Horn 4WD that I bought in early 2018 for $21,000.00 with 2800 miles on it. New car smell, window sticker in glove box, MSRP over $50k. It had a couple very minor issues, fog lights didn't work (severed wire, free) and a switch on the brake pedal that was causing the cruise control to intermittently not work properly (Googled the problem, $20 repair, 15 minutes). It just turned over 70k miles and handles the recent blast of snow here in Michigan effortlessly. Came with a Duraliner bed liner also. And moves pins way better than the Avenger lol.

I know a lot of people won't even entertain the idea of buying a salvage car, but they have to be inspected by the state before they're able to be re-titled (at least here in MI.) My Avenger and Ram were from different sellers, but both specialized in salvage vehicles, and the ones that do shoddy work get flagged almost instantly by state inspectors. I'm betting the shop that rebuilt my Ram probably bought it at auction for under 10k, and put 3 or 4k into it. Good money to be made. Found both cars on Craigslist.

20180527_161222 (resized).jpg20180527_161222 (resized).jpg20180529_182036 (resized).jpg20180529_182036 (resized).jpg
    #16 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I've owned 2 salvage vehicles and had very good experiences with both.
    In 2009 I got a 2008 Dodge Avenger for $8k with about 20k miles on it and handed it down to my son who sold it last year w 167k.
    I'm driving a 2017 Dodge Ram Big Horn 4WD that I bought in early 2018 for $21,000.00 with 2800 miles on it. New car smell, window sticker in glove box, MSRP over $50k. It had a couple very minor issues, fog lights didn't work (severed wire, free) and a switch on the brake pedal that was causing the cruise control to intermittently not work properly (Googled the problem, $20 repair, 15 minutes). It just turned over 70k miles and handles the recent blast of snow here in Michigan effortlessly. Came with a Duraliner bed liner also. And moves pins way better than the Avenger lol.
    I know a lot of people won't even entertain the idea of buying a salvage car, but they have to be inspected by the state before they're able to be re-titled (at least here in MI.) My Avenger and Ram were from different sellers, but both specialized in salvage vehicles, and the ones that do shoddy work get flagged almost instantly by state inspectors. I'm betting the shop that rebuilt my Ram probably bought it at auction for under 10k, and put 3 or 4k into it. Good money to be made. Found both cars on Craigslist.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Frame damaged badly, poor rot repair or heavy fire or flood damage. All other salvage vehicles can always be fixed. We’ve fixed quite a few over the years…especially manufacturers buybacks.
    Buyers remorse buybacks are the best to fix!

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Wow. I got lucky. Better lock something in

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Ford & GM warned their dealers last week that they'll start withholding popular vehicles from any dealers doing this.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I just pointed out in another thread that LOTRs have basically gone up $2k.
    Oh wait.
    Pickup truck prices are insane right now, even for rusty high milage junk heaps.

Yeah it is nuts. I have a 2015 Dodge Durango R/T with 97K miles on it and my local dealer offered me $29K to buy it. It's very tempting since I could get a 2022 R/T for $52K. just nuts what people are willing to pay. Much like something else I really enjoy....LOL

Hope you can find something reasonably priced for yourself!

Chris

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

That’s the reason why I won’t even begin negotiating trading in my 2016 Tacoma for a 2022 model. Perhaps, I’m not the only one with this attitude thus causing a used vehicle shortage.

#21 2 years ago

My problem is that I don't need a vehicle right now. My current truck sucks gas. I want a full size truck that gets decent gas mileage to bring to Eastern Europe in spring of 2023.

#22 2 years ago

My wife traded in her Acadia last week for a Chevy Blazer. She was over on her lease mileage but the car had appreciated so much she didn't end up paying anything extra.

#23 2 years ago

It may suck for those who are buying, but not if you're selling.

I've got a 2005 Nisson 350Z I plan on selling this spring. Last year it was worth about $10,000. Currently, it's worth at least $15,000.

85FC3FF2-D4C0-4F63-8C5B-95A07ABF02D0_1_105_c (resized).jpeg85FC3FF2-D4C0-4F63-8C5B-95A07ABF02D0_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
    #24 2 years ago
    07593B85-4C93-4A42-81A2-C04E6F6B8C6E (resized).jpeg07593B85-4C93-4A42-81A2-C04E6F6B8C6E (resized).jpeg
    #25 2 years ago

I wish i was looking to upgrade, great time to get a new car.

#26 2 years ago

I've got 5 vehicles for sale. Hit me up. I'll be at TPF. Willing to trade for pins.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from pincoin:

I have a friend with a new car dealership, other dealers are offering over MSRP for trucks he has in stock! Very tight market on stuff right now.

That kind of sounds liKE, oh don't know, ...FLIPPING?!?

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

That kind of sounds liKE, oh don't know, ...FLIPPING?!?

This whole time we find out cars are just like pinballs and not the other way around!

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Why not just wait a day til Mon and head down then?

#30 2 years ago

Fuck it. I'm ordering a truck tomorrow. 1k refundable deposit. I just need them to put together exactly what I want

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I wish i was looking to upgrade, great time to get a new car.

You'll get more for your old car and pay more for your new so it basically a wash

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

You'll get more for your old car and pay more for your new so it basically a wash

Not really, the dealership is gonna play “hard to get” while lowballing your trade. Just do the math. 2016, 41K miles with no accidents. Get this similar offer about once a month. Daytona Toyota
    81EA6140-CE46-46BC-A2BC-E1A2EAFFC6B6 (resized).jpeg81EA6140-CE46-46BC-A2BC-E1A2EAFFC6B6 (resized).jpeg

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

I posted last summer when I did that, and you're pretty much correct in my case. I was given $24500 trade-in on a 2018 mustang with 45000 miles on it (that I only paid $23500 for new). I did have to pay MSRP on the new one though. All in all it was like $7500 to upgrade to a new 2021.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Not really, the dealership is gonna play “hard to get” while lowballing your trade.

I guess it depends on who you deal with. I was at a dealership yesterday. We looked at the Kelly blue book together on my potential trade in. Then we crunched the new vehicle numbers with the computer in front of me showing options and basically building the sticker price.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

I guess it depends on who you deal with. I was at a dealership yesterday. We looked at the Kelly blue book together on my potential trade in. Then we crunched the new vehicle numbers with the computer in front of me showing options and basically building the sticker price.

Absolutely. We just bought a new car a couple weeks ago, and I did a ton of looking. Some dealers are well over MSRP, and others were right on MSRP. Not many below MSRP, if any really. Now, I usually lease cars, and for the first time ever I took my lease back and they actually cashed me out a bit for it. That's crazy that the dealership figures they can buy the car out, pay the remaining 4 months lease payments, cash me out a bit, and still sell it to make money. Those are the times i guess. Now, they put it up for sale really not that far from what I paid for the thing 3 years ago, so that's nuts, but the trade in was fair for me. Full disclosure, I've been buying from these guys for 15 years, so there's a solid relationship, but the deals are out there if you find the right folks. They were very cooperative on the new car too, and i walked away nicely under MSRP, which i did not expect.

#36 2 years ago

Can't find anything new. So I guess I'll just keep driving this 77 year old heap.

IMG_20190131_161725 (resized).jpgIMG_20190131_161725 (resized).jpg
    #37 2 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Can't find anything new. So I guess I'll just keep driving this 77 year old heap.
    [quoted image]

Lemme evaluate your trade. It’s old, not worth much. We'll get you $500 for that.

#38 2 years ago

Can we take used out of the topic title? The whole car market is upside down.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Why not just wait a day til Mon and head down then?

Work commitments. Off today.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Can we take used out of the topic title? The whole car market is upside down.

Done!

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

[quoted image]

I hope I look this good at 77 (resized).jpgI hope I look this good at 77 (resized).jpg
    #42 2 years ago

Ha! Me too.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

[quoted image]

What kind of undercoating do you use?

#44 2 years ago

There are still decent deals to be found if you look hard enough. Especially at auctions. Vehicles there might have higher miles or minor issues, but as long as you do your homework you are bound to come out on top.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Lemme evaluate your trade. It’s old, not worth much. We'll get you $500 for that.

^^ Dealers be like.

#46 2 years ago

One up side to this is that companies like Carvana are paying pin-flation esque prices for used cars. I just sold my 3 yr old full sized pickup with 38,000 miles to Carvana for only $1500 less than I paid new. Carvana's is going to take a bath on inventory costs once the used market bubble bursts.

New inventory is out there, check dealers for stock and be prepared to move quickly. I'd be cautious buying newer used models in this inflated market.

#47 2 years ago

I’m ordering a Bronco this week, MSRP, with everything I want, yeah I have to wait 6 months to a year, but I don’t suffer from FOMO like a typical pinsider. Ford is offering me $1200 less than I paid for my 5.0 in Nov 16. I rejected the offer. Life is good.

#48 2 years ago

This is where I feel lucky. I got a really good deal on my wife’s brand new 2017 Ford Explorer. Recently paid off 5 year loan. Really good deal on my 2019 Chevy Tahoe 1 more payment on a 3 year loan. Really good deal on a 1966 mustang convertible paid off over 30 years ago.

I’m looking forward to at least the next 3 years of no car payments. The wife gets a new car in the next economic downturn when supply outpaces demand.

#49 2 years ago

So I ordered a 2022 Silverado 1500 rst with a Duramax diesel. Turbo straight 6. Spent about 3 hours at the dealership getting the options right and the sales team was great. More incentives are possible so they say upon expected delivery of late summer or early fall. Right now I am eligible for about 1.5k in incentives. It all depends on how many vehicles are being produced at the time. My 1k deposit is refundable so not much to worry about. No msrp gouging so it was a pleasure to work with these guys after the horror stories that I have been hearing.

#50 2 years ago

Luckily I prefer buying older, well maintained, used cars so the prior owner(s) paid all the depreciation. My motto is, "Yesterday's technology, today."

2003 Saab 9-3 Turbo Convertible
    2005 Prius (wife bought years before we met, only owner)
    2006 Mercury Mountaineer
    2016 Lincoln MKX

There are 402 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-used-car-market-sucks-rant?hl=nc_pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.