Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 402 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

area51 (resized).PNG
    0B033F21-0F10-4E5D-8BDD-1EE8824E6E79 (resized).jpeg
    20221231_165143 (resized).jpg
    20221231_123310 (resized).jpg
    Wilderness (resized).jpg
    mav (resized).PNG
    313A00FE-0CFE-476E-9EF7-73775A1307C0 (resized).jpeg
    1969_compton-ca_side (resized).jpg
    zr2 (resized).jpg
    THIS! (resized).jpg
    7e25e40e4ab125cda5a9a8e0cf084dba (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 4.54.22 PM (resized).jpg
    e5a593ab7270df18ab14efd5b30f21a2b09dfd0f (resized).jpg
    FCCCE7AC-6AA0-49D8-B0C9-1766A3C08ECB (resized).jpeg
    E976EBE4-BAC1-472F-8F84-6AC739C96070 (resized).jpeg
    C500D416-639A-419F-BE1B-F6362C64AABB (resized).jpeg
    There are 402 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.
    #351 1 year ago

2023 Ford Maverick order banks opened Thursday evening. Per this letter from Ford, they will close by the middle of the week. I got MSRP with no dealer fees. And now for the long wait...

mav (resized).PNGmav (resized).PNG

#352 1 year ago

Maverick Hybrid pre-order banks closed last night. Ecoboost closes tonight. There are dealers now upcharging thousands above MSRP even for preorders.

I just hope I actually get mine.

#353 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Maverick Hybrid pre-order banks closed last night. Ecoboost closes tonight. There are dealers now upcharging thousands above MSRP even for preorders.
    I just hope I actually get mine.

I'd like a Maverick but looks like I'll wait a year to get one until hopefully the inventory increases.

Friday we're going car shopping. GF wants a larger SUV than her 2016 Escape. Looking at 2019 & 2020 Honda Passports & Pilots and Toyota Highlanders. With a 15K trade and 3K in cash we're looking at 35-37K vehicles.

#354 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

I'd like a Maverick but looks like I'll wait a year to get one until hopefully the inventory increases.
    Friday we're going car shopping. GF wants a larger SUV than her 2016 Escape. Looking at 2019 & 2020 Honda Passports & Pilots and Toyota Highlanders. With a 15K trade and 3K in cash were looking at 35-37K vehicles.

May seem boring but keep what you got, use those monthly payments for monthly excursions. You guys aren’t married to car payments are you?

#355 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

I may be waiting a year for the one I ordered this weekend. I hope not.

#356 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Friday we're going car shopping. GF wants a larger SUV than her 2016 Escape. Looking at 2019 & 2020 Honda Passports & Pilots and Toyota Highlanders. With a 15K trade and 3K in cash we're looking at 35-37K vehicles.

My father in-law has had his transmission replaced twice in his 19' Pilot, normal driving, low miles. I've made sure to change my tyranny fluid once a year in my Acura MDX after seeing what he's dealt with.

#357 1 year ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

May seem boring but keep what you got, use those monthly payments for monthly excursions. You guys aren’t married to car payments are you?

No current car payments for either of us. She paid off the last car loan in less that 1/2 the term with double payments and with an almost 800 credit score, rates will be as low as they can be given the current market.

The Escape needs to go. Twice now after it sat for a couple days a large puff of white smoke left the tailpipe. After doing research the Ford Eco-Boost engines have a design flaw that allows small cracks to develop, and coolant enters the cylinders. Ford is facing 3 class action lawsuits which just moved forward when a judge combined them. Ford's solution to the problem is to sell you a new engine with the same flaw they knew existed since 2010. Trade value is so high, time to dump it before the problem gets worse.

https://www.lieffcabraser.com/2021/05/ford-ecoboost-engine-defect-lawsuits-consolidated-in-california/

No more Fords for us.

#358 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I may be waiting a year for the one I ordered this weekend. I hope not.

A year? Holy hell. I see used Mavericks with 5-10K miles selling for above new MSRP.

#359 1 year ago

With interest rates rising, car market should start to soften in the next quarter or 2

#360 1 year ago

I've been eyeing a new car for a few years, and pulled the trigger on a new 2022 Forester Wilderness late last month. I've been eying a new vehicle for about 2 years now, but wanted to wait until I could walk in and pick one up at MSRP. I had been bouncing back and forth between this and a Rav4 Prime, but it will be years more before I could get one of those at sticker.

Interestingly enough, my local dealer said they could order me one and have it here in 4 months. I sent an email blast out to all the dealers within 200 miles of me, and found one in stock at MSRP 40 miles from me that just came in. Hopped in the car and picked it up the next day after getting a few quotes from different dealers on my trade in. Got 2200 over the KBB value they wanted to give me because of competing written offers.

I traded in my 2012 Camry Hybrid and got 9200 for it. Saw it for sale and then sold online within a week at an asking price of $15,000. Don't know the final sales number but I'm going to try and trade for pins next time I have a vehicle worth under 2 nice Pins I need to sell.

Every year I go to the Baltimore Auto show and climb around all of the different vehicles. The number one pick for a small family pin hauler for me is the 2022 Subaru Forester. Fits one in the back with seats folded, and can tow 4 in a U-Haul if you are going to a show.

Impressed with the Tech in this.

Tried out the Ford Maverick but it felt too cramped inside. The Rav4 was the closest competitor for my dollars. Would have gotten a plug in hybrid if I could get one but those are selling WAY over sticker... with a wait.

I don't know if the car market will ever be back to what it was... but next new vehicle is not scheduled until 2027. Plan is to get a new van for the wife then. Trade in 10 year old cars for new ones offset by 5 years. I get a new car in 2032!

Wilderness (resized).jpgWilderness (resized).jpg
    #361 1 year ago

Kinda surprised you saw your trade-in for sale locally, usually dealers trade cars out of area so local customers cant see how badly they got screwed on their trade.

#362 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I've been eyeing a new car for a few years, and pulled the trigger on a new 2022 Forester Wilderness late last month. I've been eying a new vehicle for about 2 years now, but wanted to wait until I could walk in and pick one up at MSRP. I had been bouncing back and forth between this and a Rav4 Prime, but it will be years more before I could get one of those at sticker.
    Interestingly enough, my local dealer said they could order me one and have it here in 4 months. I sent an email blast out to all the dealers within 200 miles of me, and found one in stock at MSRP 40 miles from me that just came in. Hopped in the car and picked it up the next day after getting a few quotes from different dealers on my trade in. Got 2200 over the KBB value they wanted to give me because of competing written offers.
    I traded in my 2012 Camry Hybrid and got 9200 for it. Saw it for sale and then sold online within a week at an asking price of $15,000. Don't know the final sales number but I'm going to try and trade for pins next time I have a vehicle worth under 2 nice Pins I need to sell.
    Every year I go to the Baltimore Auto show and climb around all of the different vehicles. The number one pick for a small family pin hauler for me is the 2022 Subaru Forester. Fits one in the back with seats folded, and can tow 4 in a U-Haul if you are going to a show.
    Impressed with the Tech in this.
    Tried out the Ford Maverick but it felt too cramped inside. The Rav4 was the closest competitor for my dollars. Would have gotten a plug in hybrid if I could get one but those are selling WAY over sticker... with a wait.
    I don't know if the car market will ever be back to what it was... but next new vehicle is not scheduled until 2027. Plan is to get a new van for the wife then. Trade in 10 year old cars for new ones offset by 5 years. I get a new car in 2032!
    [quoted image]

My family members have had a few Foresters .... great cars, enjoy!

#363 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

This is for my kid who is just starting out. My oldest got a Civic and it's a good car, but just has no utility. The Mav will be great for her if we can actually get one. Everybody wants that hybrid though.

#364 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

This is for my kid who is just starting out. My oldest got a Civic and it's a good car, but just has no utility. The Mav will be great for her if we can actually get one. Everybody wants that hybrid though.

A Maverick is an absolutely fantastic first car and your kid will love it. Really liked it when I sat in it at the car show, but I can't fit 3 kids in the back comfortably and the bed can't hold a pin and close.

Somehow I don't think those are considerations your kiddo has just yet.

Get the Maverick if you can swing it.

#365 1 year ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Kinda surprised you saw your trade-in for sale locally, usually dealers trade cars out of area so local customers cant see how badly they got screwed on their trade.

Lack of inventory I’m guessing. They get a car to sell, it goes on the lot.

#366 1 year ago

Just keep a copy of your vin number, wherever they send it, you usually can search/track it when it's listed and see what it's going for until it actually sells.

2 weeks later
    #367 1 year ago

Sorry no pics were posted but here he is stating that he bought it. Still can't believe the deal.

3 months later
    #368 1 year ago

Car market getting any better? ... may be in for a new car for the wife this year

#369 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Car market getting any better? ... may be in for a new car for the wife this year

Yes, but if you wait a little longer you will see more incentives. (Doing same thing, although my truck won't be available till April) There are some incentives already... Will be more as dealers have lots of stock and lots more on the way, and time are tough for many.

#370 1 year ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

Yes, but if you wait a little longer you will see more incentives. (Doing same thing, although my truck won't be available till April) There are some incentives already... Will be more as dealers have lots of stock and lots more on the way, and time are tough for many.

Agree. Been looking to upgrade my truck with a newer used one. Prices still higher than normal (pre-shortages) but inventory is increasing as higher interest rates are slowing sales. Patience if a want not a need.

#371 1 year ago

Pretty sure dealers are going to try and hold on to MSRP and market adjustments as long as they can

#372 1 year ago

Pretty sure dealers are going to try and hold on to MSRP and market adjustments as long as they can

Yep!

#373 1 year ago

All but one local Toyota dealer is still charging a $1500-$6000 "market adjustment" on Camrys. The one dealer not doing this actually has a few new cars available, which is definitely a change from the past year and a half or so.

I rent a LOT of cars in the course of my employment. For quite a while, I was getting beat up, high mileage older cars. Lately I've noticed the cars being relatively new, almost without fail.

It looks like things are finally starting to improve.

#374 1 year ago
    Quoted from Emkay79:

All but one local Toyota dealer is still charging a $1500-$6000 "market adjustment" on Camrys. The one dealer not doing this actually has a few new cars available, which is definitely a change from the past year and a half or so.
    I rent a LOT of cars in the course of my employment. For quite a while, I was getting beat up, high mileage older cars. Lately I've noticed the cars being relatively new, almost without fail.

Those people that paid $6k over sticker on a Camry are going to be shocked when they go to trade it in a few years.
    My guess is when they bought the car, they were only looking at monthly payment amounts

#375 1 year ago

I’m avoiding it. Thank heavens I leased 2 Volvo’s Feb and March 2020 just before Covid.

I’m buying out the lease residual value on lease way lower than market value. Plus have at least another year in factory warranty.

#376 1 year ago
    Quoted from Emkay79:

My local Toyota dealer was doing a 5k market adjustment for any buyer that did not reside in the same county as them. Now they have no adjustment and 4-Runners on the lot...its been years since they had a 4-runner that wasn't pre-sold.

#377 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

My local Toyota dealer was doing a 5k market adjustment for any buyer that did not reside in the same county as them. Now they have no adjustment and 4-Runners on the lot...its been years since they had a 4-runner that wasn't pre-sold.

so now it's the public's turn for their market price adjustment ! offer less money !

#378 1 year ago

Bought a 22 Civic Si back in October. Wasn’t happy but found a dealer that sold dealer installed accessories instead of a straight markup. Kind of want a Type R now but not at these prices. Wife wants a new Mustang GT first either way and that will be money better spent.

#379 1 year ago

Picked up a 2 year old, got it on New Years Eve, dealer was more than willing to haggle. It even came with 2 extra year and 50,000 extra mile warranty.
    Now if I could as easily sell the 10 year old...
    20221231_165143 (resized).jpg20221231_165143 (resized).jpg
    20221231_123310 (resized).jpg20221231_123310 (resized).jpg

#380 1 year ago

I put down a deposit for a BMW i4 M50 back in June 2022 and I still have no allocation assigned. Worse situation than new pinball machines.

With EVs, it’s either Tesla (they crank them out and have excess inventory) or wait for a long time, if you don’t want to compromise. It feels strange waiting so long in a capitalist free market economy. Tesla competition sucks with their execution.

#381 1 year ago

I had to wait for 8 months to get my 2023 Cadillac Escalade ESV at MSRP. I am going to pick up another one in a month or so and I can find them at MSRP for immediate delivery.

2 weeks later
    #382 1 year ago

Selling a car and it's listed on Autotrader, FB marketplace and CL. I'm used to all the normal scammers but today's was a step above. Got a text asking about the car. Asked quite a few questions that a normal buyer might ask. Car comes with extra wheels and tires and asked for a picture of those. Set up a time tomorrow to look at it. Cool.

Asked what town he lived in. Given one about 45 minutes away. Asked for a copy of the CFR, which I assumed was Car Fax Report. It's Carfactsfinder.com which looks like a legitimate web site. Told him I have a Car Fax Report when I purchased it 8 months ago and nothing changed but the mileage.

Said he didn't trust Car Fax and it's just a $25 report. Turns out after some research that's a scam website that steals your $25 and then screws you once they get your credit card number.

Sellers beware.

#383 1 year ago

Want to buy a new red Toyota Tundra but not much on the lots. Saw the one I wanted in St George, Utah but they wanted $10000 over MSRP. Ridiculous.

#384 1 year ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

Want to buy a new red Toyota Tundra but not much on the lots. Saw the one I wanted in St George, Utah but they wanted $10000 over MSRP. Ridiculous.

I would wait a year...that new motor is having some issues.

#385 1 year ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

Holy shit. That's crazy

4 weeks later
    #386 1 year ago

If you want a new F150, my local dealership has lots. If you want a Maverick, bend over or keep waiting.

A couple of my local Toyota dealerships have been sitting on more than a few new RAV4s for at least a couple of weeks. That's something I haven't seen in awhile.

#387 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

If you want a new F150, my local dealership has lots.

Speaking as a someone that has bought multiple brand new F150s over the years, they can just keep those.

#388 1 year ago

Looked at the web site for my local Ford dealer, and they're putting $7.5k to $10k of additional dealer markup on the new Mavericks on their lot.

Glad I'm not in the market for a vehicle!

#389 1 year ago

After a 3 month search I was able to upgrade my 1999 Mazda B3000 truck. After looking at multiple makes and models, I found a used Honda Ridgeline RTL from a private seller. Seller had a mini stroke and can't drive anymore after just owning it 6 weeks because of vision problems. It was 160 miles away and I drove out to look at it. Really nice, better than the pictures with every add on accessory possible. Asked for best price and he said just needs it gone, tired of dealing with scammers and dropped price 3K which was $2200 under KBB private party value without the $1.5K in dealer accessories. Sold! Handed him 3K in cash as deposit and returned in 2 days to transfer title.

I have AAA Premier which provides one 200 mile tow per year so in the past I just called my local tow company and had them go pickup and deliver my vehicle purchase rather than having to drag someone along for a long drive. They changed the policy. Tow must originate from the vehicle location not my home. So I had to drive back out a 3rd time to make the tow work. LOL.

#390 1 year ago
    Quoted from mnrocketry:

Looked at the web site for my local Ford dealer, and they're putting $7.5k to $10k of additional dealer markup on the new Mavericks on their lot.
    Glad I'm not in the market for a vehicle!

Why the fuck would someone buy one then?

#391 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

They changed the policy. Tow must originate from the vehicle location not my home. So I had to drive back out a 3rd time to make the tow work. LOL.

Did you have to be there in person? I suppose, or why just say you were at the car, but were tied up?

#392 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

After a 3 month search I was able to upgrade my 1999 Mazda B3000 truck. After looking at multiple makes and models, I found a used Honda Ridgeline RTL from a private seller. Seller had a mini stroke and can't drive anymore after just owning it 6 weeks because of vision problems. It was 160 miles away and I drove out to look at it. Really nice, better than the pictures with every add on accessory possible. Asked for best price and he said just needs it gone, tired of dealing with scammers and dropped price 3K which was $2200 under KBB private party value without the $1.5K in dealer accessories. Sold! Handed him 3K in cash as deposit and returned in 2 days to transfer title.
    I have AAA Premier which provides one 200 mile tow per year so in the past I just called my local tow company and had them go pickup and deliver my vehicle purchase rather than having to drag someone along for a long drive. They changed the policy. Tow must originate from the vehicle location not my home. So I had to drive back out a 3rd time to make the tow work. LOL.

Congrats, love my Ridgeline!

#393 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Did you have to be there in person? I suppose, or why just say you were at the car, but were tied up?

I had to drive back because I took all the keys with me figuring I just give one to my local tow company (owner and I have a long history from my 20 years in the service industry) which is just 1.5 miles away. I told AAA it overheated there and I got a ride home. I wouldn't of needed to be at the vehicle if I had left a key.

#394 1 year ago

Congrats, love my Ridgeline!

I've driven 100's of pickups when I was in automotive service. Nothing rides as nice as a Ridgeline. For the 2021 Pinfest show I rented a U-Haul truck to haul 6 games and my parts to set up in the flea market because I didn't think the 22-year-old Mazda truck could handle a trailer. $647 rental. This Ridgeline will be the Pinfest tow vehicle.

#395 1 year ago

Had an interesting time buying a car.

Original owner of my a 2012 Honda Pilot EL-X and put on 95,000 on it. Bought for $33,800 new all in including dealer fees, tag and tax. My wife put a timeline on me to get a new car. Lol

Kids grown up teens but don’t drive much (weirdos). Looked at upgrading to a Acura MDX, Infiniti Q60 or Audi Q5. Not really a car guy but had a friend come down to ATL and visit me last week who was. He wanted to go to the BMW plant in South Carolina for a tour 3 hours away. Classy tour and really well done. BMW got on the list. My friend just bought a Ridgeline by the way.

Decided to go nicer and upgrade all the SUV’s on the list. Looked at MDX still, Mercedes, Porsche and BMW new.

Well Full MSRP and “marker adjustments” still in effect. I didn’t follow so had no idea. It was shocking! MBenz GLC +$5000 and GLS +$10000. Porchse Macan + $2000 and Cayanne $3000. MDX couldn’t do much off, but that was going off the list. All the cars were pretty loaded also. I didn’t want a base car but didn’t want “too” much.

Test drove BMW X5 and asked sales person to send me a quote and just give me the number they can do because I am not going to negotiate. He came back with an email later on at $3000 off. Hmmm. I semi knew a GM of another BMW dealer in ATL and messaged him last and they said they can’t do much off MSRP. Dude I know you! What did I do?? Lol

So BMW X5 $3000 off it is! Being close to a city has its advantages with multiple dealers. All though it seems like they collude with each other on pricing. My dealer I got the car from couldn’t give me a good number on trade for my Pilot. $12,000 for my Pilot from Carmax it is! Took 15 min to appraise and when I came back 20 min to sell. Not bad!

Bonus with my new car purchase my wife and I can go back to the BMW factory and get a complimentary test drive of a BMW on their track with an instructor.

All in all not bad once I found the needle in a haystack dealer that went lower then MSRP.

0B033F21-0F10-4E5D-8BDD-1EE8824E6E79 (resized).jpeg0B033F21-0F10-4E5D-8BDD-1EE8824E6E79 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
    #396 1 year ago

Had a Maverick pop up somewhat local. This is an XLT Hybrid with the Lux Package, spray in bedliner, and Copilot 360. I think the PRO pack is short for profit as it includes security lug nuts, tint, and floor mats for only $2,269.

This is actually a lot better than some are asking, but I'm just going to hold out for my order at a no-fee dealer which is ~$26,500 OTD if they ever build it.

area51 (resized).PNGarea51 (resized).PNG

#397 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Had a Maverick pop up somewhat local. This is an XLT Hybrid with the Lux Package, spray in bedliner, and Copilot 360. I think the PRO pack is short for profit as it includes security lug nuts, tint, and floor mats for only $2,269.
    This is actually a lot better than some are asking, but I'm just going to hold out for my order at a no-fee dealer which is ~$26,500 OTD if they ever build it.
    [quoted image]

WTF, Doc fees are $1199 and "non tax fees" $453.50!

#398 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

WTF, Doc fees are $1199 and "non tax fees" $453.50!

Yeah, Florida has no caps on that shi*. We do have a few no-doc-fee dealers. I have an order with one of them. Taxes are ~$1,500 and legit fees are ~$524. That's it. No add-on BS. Is it gonna get built though? That's a bend-over deal in that screengrab, but I've actually seen far worse. Maverick Hybrids are unobtanium.

#399 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Yeah, Florida has no caps on that shi*. We do have a few no-doc-fee dealers. I have an order with one of them. Taxes are ~$1,500 and legit fees are ~$524. That's it. No add-on BS. Is it gonna get built though? That's a bend-over deal in that screengrab, but I've actually seen far worse. Maverick Hybrids are unobtanium.

Those are insane fees. My last divorce cost less with a real lawyer.

#400 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Those are insane fees. My last divorce cost less with a real lawyer.

Yeah, they are getting someone for an extra $4K or so there and someone did buy it. I knew they would. If I put $12K down on that truck, my kid is still on the hook for ~$450/month for 5 years. That's insane and I'm not doing that.

There are 402 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-used-car-market-sucks-rant/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.