Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 402 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

area51 (resized).PNG
    0B033F21-0F10-4E5D-8BDD-1EE8824E6E79 (resized).jpeg
    20221231_165143 (resized).jpg
    20221231_123310 (resized).jpg
    Wilderness (resized).jpg
    mav (resized).PNG
    313A00FE-0CFE-476E-9EF7-73775A1307C0 (resized).jpeg
    1969_compton-ca_side (resized).jpg
    zr2 (resized).jpg
    THIS! (resized).jpg
    7e25e40e4ab125cda5a9a8e0cf084dba (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 4.54.22 PM (resized).jpg
    e5a593ab7270df18ab14efd5b30f21a2b09dfd0f (resized).jpg
    FCCCE7AC-6AA0-49D8-B0C9-1766A3C08ECB (resized).jpeg
    E976EBE4-BAC1-472F-8F84-6AC739C96070 (resized).jpeg
    C500D416-639A-419F-BE1B-F6362C64AABB (resized).jpeg
    There are 402 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.
    #201 2 years ago

Everything is horrendous
    Rents and cars
    I know the market is bad but cars are out there
    I feel the low fixer upper market is nuts now

Better to just pony up and get a certified used car

#202 2 years ago

My favorite automotive parts supplier exchange after 22 years of buying parts for Firestone and AAMCO. We ran out of hand cleaner.

Me: I need a tub of GoJo sent over, PO is supplies.
    NAPA: Do you want that with or without puss?
    Me: Puss? What are you talking about?
    NAPA: Puss. Do you want it with the grit in it?
    Me: Do you mean Pumice? If so yes.
    NAPA: Oh yeah, pumice.

All time classic in the stupidity of ordering stuff.

#203 2 years ago

Auto Zone SUCKS!

The O'Reily 1 mile away also sucks, but the O'Reily 4 miles away is the best I have ever dealt with, with any part stores.

NAPA is good for hard-to-find stuff, but they seem high, have not been there in years.

#204 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

My favorite automotive parts supplier exchange after 22 years of buying parts for Firestone and AAMCO. We ran out of hand cleaner.
    Me: I need a tub of GoJo sent over, PO is supplies.
    NAPA: Do you want that with or without puss?
    Me: Puss? What are you talking about?
    NAPA: Puss. Do you want it with the grit in it?
    Me: Do you mean Pumice? If so yes.
    NAPA: Oh yeah, pumice.
    All time classic in the stupidity of ordering stuff.

I try to always order extra puss

#205 2 years ago

A full page of people whining About their engine turning off and turning back on when the car stops.

I can’t for the life of me figure out what you guys are complaining about, beyond the faint whiff of “eco terrorism” to the whole thing.

I been driving around various rental cars for two weeks straight that all work like this and it doesn’t seem to be much of a problem. When I hit the gas, the car goes. When I stop the car, the car stops.

OMG?

#206 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A full page of people whining About their engine turning off and turning back on when the car stops.
    I can’t for the life of me figure out what you guys are complaining about, beyond the faint whiff of “eco terrorism” to the whole thing.
    I been driving around various rental cars for two weeks straight that all work like this and it doesn’t seem to be much of a problem. When I hit the gas, the car goes. When I stop the car, the car stops.
    OMG?

It's the delay. It's weird and don't like. For $45k, I should like. We also have VERY HOT summers where weeks of 110F+ are not uncommon, which is hell on batteries and starters. I doubt this not-awesome system was tested in a climate like ours.

And I'm all for eco stuff, just not dumb stuff like that. I was trying to hold out for the all-electric Odyssey, but we couldn't make it. Our 2008 had other ideas. My wife has had an all electric and a hybrid and the all-electric beat the hybrid by a mile. WAY more fun to drive and no stupid features like the hybrid's "maintenance mode" kicking in at the worst time to keep the gas side functional even though we never used it.

#207 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't think people are whining about it but more wondering why that happens and the fuel savings versus the hassle of thinking the engine shut off the 1st time you experienced it. It is what is but I prefer a car that doesn't shut off at lights.

#208 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

It is what is but I prefer a car that doesn't shut off at lights.

For a whopping ~1 mpg savings. Not worth the hassle. If I was getting 5mpg more or 10mpg more, then I would put up with it.

#209 2 years ago

I guess I get it! I’ve just been fascinated by the whole thing, seems to work pretty well. Ac still works, radio stays on, seems like pretty clever engineering.

And the first time I saw this feature was Probably almost 10 years ago in Europe on a car rental, they’ve been doing it a long time over there.

#210 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

OMG?

Curious, do you come into each thread and do this? You created a full page of back and forth in the New England for sale thread over nothing because you were whining about a guy linking Facebook pinball for sale ads. Lol. Btw, the auto off thing blows in the summer. I had a POS Jeep rental that did it and the A/C starts blowing hot air, absolutely stupid "innovation". Carry on

#211 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

OMG?

Levi, have you ever driven one with this feature in a manual transmission car? It’s dangerous.

#212 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

I don't think people are whining about it but more wondering why that happens and the fuel savings versus the hassle of thinking the engine shut off the 1st time you experienced it. It is what is but I prefer a car that doesn't shut off at lights.

The good thing is, This feature can be turned on or off.

#213 2 years ago

The Ac thing isn’t a problem. My Cadillac has this feature and the car is both fully aware of the outside temperature and the temperature of the cabin vs what is set. If it’s 110 outside, the car won’t shut off when I stop because it knows it’s too hot to just run the fan without the compressor which it cannot do without running.

#214 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I guess I get it! I’ve just been fascinated by the whole thing, seems to work pretty well. Ac still works, radio stays on, seems like pretty clever engineering.
    And the first time I saw this feature was Probably almost 10 years ago in Europe on a car rental, they’ve been doing it a long time over there.

Some cars are smoother than others with the restart

#215 2 years ago

My 2019 Jeep has that auto stop feature and was told by the dealer that newer cars have it now to cut back on emissions. There's a button to turn it off but once you restart the car you have to turn it off again (and so on). To sort of permanently turn it off I picked up a "disabler" that plugs into the OBD port. Problem solved.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/

#216 2 years ago

I've had a few cars with the auto stop start. Annoying in drive-throughs, but useful when I'm stuck in traffic for lengthy periods.

All that is behind me now though as both of us drive electrics now.

I know there's a lot of EV hate, and I truly do understand the appreciation for a good exhaust note, but for us the EV smooth instant power and torque is a big improvement.

Not having to do belts/plugs/pumps/oil changes is also great.

Costs around 5c/mile for us charging at home.

#217 2 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Some cars are smoother than others with the restart

The giant expedition and the Chrysler minivans I’ve been driving this trip have handled it smoothly.

Honestly having not driven a manual transmission car in about 20 years I didn’t even think of that concept.

#218 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Does it have the bypass button that turns the "feature" off until you turn off the car?

At my workplace we have Ford Transit vans that do have ability to "turn off" the no idle feature.

#219 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

I know there's a lot of EV hate

Is there? That's a serious question, I'm not really aware of EV hate. I've aware of the discussions between which one is worse for the environment. And I'm also aware that transportation requires energy and pollution to happen. That is all a scale, because obviously an electric car requires more resources (and energy, and pollution) to build. Then that is made up in some cases by using renewable resources to charge them (which also have an intrinsic cost in energy and pollution to construct). And obviously that all skews by whos numbers you use, but eventually you can calculate an ROI for all the factors. But that isn't hate of EV, that is just understanding that if you remove one factor from a complex system, you have to make up for it elsewhere. They are not a panacea.

I don't have one particularly because most of my driving trips are long, and then the car sits a long time between them. So my use case doesn't really fit one. I guess I don't understand hate for an EV when it basically has zero impact on me. But I could probably say that about a lot of things.

#220 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Is there? That's a serious question, I'm not really aware of EV hate.

Well I base this on crap I see on Facebook. Any time there is ANY EV-related article from Car and Driver or whatever, people come out of the woodwork to spread misinformation and lies. It's weird, because as you point out nobody is forcing anyone to drive an EV.

But for those who like them the offerings are getting better and better.

#222 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Any time there is ANY EV-related article from Car and Driver or whatever, people come out of the woodwork to spread misinformation and lies. It's weird, because as you point out nobody is forcing anyone to drive an EV.

Except the government mandates. Telling the truth about the positives AND negatives is not FUD as most tesla lovers seem to think

#223 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballizfun:

Except the government mandates. Telling the truth about the positives AND negatives is not FUD as most tesla lovers seem to think

Proving my point. There are no EV mandates. Nobody is forcing anyone.

#224 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Proving my point. There are no EV mandates. Nobody is forcing anyone.

sort of,
    many manufacturers are phasing out ICE so choices will be getting limited.
    I love EV's - looking forward to owning one in the future

#225 2 years ago

sort of,
    many manufacturers are phasing out ICE so choices will be getting limited.
    I love EV's - looking forward to owning one in the future

Yeah the problem is a lot of people want an EV, but the car they want does not yet exist.
    I'm enjoying mine (Taycan), but it's still not the car I want. I want an electric Boxster, Cayman or 911 variant.

The wife drives a Tesla Model 3 and loves it, I think it's a great car too, but not my style.

#226 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Yeah the problem is a lot of people want an EV, but the car they want does not yet exist.
    I'm enjoying mine (Taycan), but it's still not the car I want. I want an electric Boxster, Cayman or 911 variant.
    The wife drives a Tesla Model 3 and loves it, I think it's a great car too, but not my style.

People may want an ev car but cannot afford $50000 or $80000 luxury cars. I don't look forward to future where car choices are more limited and even more costly.

#227 2 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

People may want an ev car but cannot afford $50000 or $80000 luxury cars. I don't look forward to future where car choices are more limited and even more costly.

No argument there, prices need to come down and offerings need to be more diverse.

Right now we're in the "early adopter" phase, I think...where people are willing to pay a premium.

#228 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

My problem is the car exists (Rivian) but you just have to wait about 2 years

I thought about a Taycan, they look really nice

#229 2 years ago

My problem is the car exists (Rivian) but you just have to wait about 2 years
    I thought about a Taycan, they look really nice

Pros: Cool looking, excellent driving feel and handling (as you'd expect). Super fast charging, 20 mins 5%->85%.
    Cons: Absolutely terrible software. The PCM radio is completely unreliable.

#231 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Pros: Cool looking, excellent driving feel and handling (as you'd expect). Super fast charging, 20 mins 5%->85%.
    Cons: Absolutely terrible software. The PCM radio is completely unreliable.

I wonder if the Audi version has the same software

#232 2 years ago

Im starting to think the Silverado Ev is my best option

#233 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

great looking truck

#234 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

"Final pricing set by dealer."

Prepare to get bent over. It does look nice though...

#235 2 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

"Final pricing set by dealer."
    Prepare to get bent over. It does look nice though...

We'll see.

#236 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

No argument there, prices need to come down and offerings need to be more diverse.
    Right now we're in the "early adopter" phase, I think...where people are willing to pay a premium.

Tesla has been around for more than 10 years and ev cars are nothing new. Prices are not coming down. Maybe some but ev cars will always be a premium price with the cost of development, technology, and batteries. The only way you can have an "affordable" ev car is one that is stripped down, tiny, and very limited range.

#237 2 years ago

random thoughts from this thread:

Already mentioned but bears repeating; anybody currently leasing 100% needs to run their buyout numbers before turning a lease in.

We bought out wife's 2019 CX-5 for 18k and when BIL mentioned he was going to turn his 2019 Chevy Colorado 4x4 in he didn't even know buying it was an option, his buyout was only 22k. You cant touch a low mileage 4wd PU for that number.

For auto parts I drive a bit further for NAPA, but if they don't have what I need the Autozone is on the route home and my next best option. Pep Boys/Advance Auto get skipped over completely. I will order manufacturer parts or Honda DW-1 Transmission fluid from Amazon - it prices out only $1 over dealership but when factoring in free shipping and usually a job you aren't doing immediately its worth it to me.

#239 2 years ago

These “”mandates” are pretty much bullshit. The laws outline them as “goals” and mirror stuff they’ve been doing in California since the 80s. (Spoiler alert: you can still buy a Ford with a V-8 in California)

I wouldn’t get too worried about it or start hoarding internal combustion engines. If these “mandates” aren’t feasible in the distant future when they are supposed to be “enforced,” they won’t happen.

The main goal is a good one; to increase and improve the EV infrastructure so consumers and industry don’t remain enslaved by an ancient technology that we should probably be looking at moving past some day. Remember the pinball buyer mantra:
    “Competition is good, options are good.”

#240 2 years ago

As I said when you spammed me this same thing in PM repeatedly....

You are not forced to buy a new car. You can keep your ICE car as long as you want.

#241 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

As I said when you spammed me this same thing in PM repeatedly....
    You are not forced to buy a new car. You can keep your ICE car as long as you want.

which does not change that fact that there are mandates that you claim do not exist. There is the real possibility that ICE will get outlawed on public streets too, much farther down the line. Just like you can't take your horse on the highway. Just because you can keep it does not mean it will be usable.

#242 2 years ago

Crazy times...I have a 2020 colorado zr2 orange crush that I bought new july of 2020..my dealer is offering a BUYOUT for $400 more then I paid for it.
    I LOVE this truck...but Damn! that is hard to resist..(that color has been discontinued for 2022) love it or hate it it..I happed to love it.

zr2 (resized).jpgzr2 (resized).jpg
    #243 2 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

Crazy times...I have a 2020 colorado zr2 orange crush that I bought new july of 2020..my dealer is offering a BUYOUT for $400 more then I paid for it.
    I LOVE this truck...but Damn! that is hard to resist..(that color has been discontinued for 2022) love it or hate it it..I happed to love it.
    [quoted image]

Keep the truck! Let it make you happy, not make someone else happy when they go to flip it for a profit. Keep the ball in your court.

#244 2 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

[quoted image]

I love that color.

The reason why a dealer offers this much is that the dealer knows it will sell for much more. The dealer *depends* on business so this isn’t necessarily a good deal for you but a must have for the dealer.

#245 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballizfun:

which does not change that fact that there are mandates that you claim do not exist. There is the real possibility that ICE will get outlawed on public streets too, much farther down the line. Just like you can't take your horse on the highway. Just because you can keep it does not mean it will be usable.

Irrational fears.

#246 2 years ago

Thanks all!!! 7800 miles..you guys liking this helps

Thinking of adding a supercharger to it lol

#247 2 years ago

They aren’t shipping until fall of 23, and that’s the work trim only. Be prepared for a long wait. Get on the list ASAP.

#248 2 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

[quoted image]

Generally, I think orange doesn't look good on most vehicles, but on that body and with that trim it looks good on that truck.
    You should still hold on to it. How much would it cost you to replace it, and how soon could you get a replacement?

#249 2 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

Thanks all!!! 7800 miles..you guys liking this helps
    Thinking of adding a supercharger to it lol

Now it will make you happier knowing your truck and color are worth more than the others. Lol.

#250 2 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

[quoted image]

That color of orange does look good.

I had a friend and this was 40+ years ago had a orange 1969 Datsun 510 wagon that he bought from his brother for $195.00 ( I still remember the price). It was a beaten up and you could not use any of the body parts it was so beaten. My sister used to call it the orange lemon. He finally had it for awhile and couldn't sell it to nobody so he tried to lockup the engine and it was so good that it still kept going. I never knew what happened to that car but it might not have looked great but it would always start. Below is just for reference not his.

1969_compton-ca_side (resized).jpg1969_compton-ca_side (resized).jpg

There are 402 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-used-car-market-sucks-rant/page/5?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.