Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 402 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 months ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

area51 (resized).PNG
    0B033F21-0F10-4E5D-8BDD-1EE8824E6E79 (resized).jpeg
    20221231_165143 (resized).jpg
    20221231_123310 (resized).jpg
    Wilderness (resized).jpg
    mav (resized).PNG
    313A00FE-0CFE-476E-9EF7-73775A1307C0 (resized).jpeg
    1969_compton-ca_side (resized).jpg
    zr2 (resized).jpg
    THIS! (resized).jpg
    7e25e40e4ab125cda5a9a8e0cf084dba (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 4.54.22 PM (resized).jpg
    e5a593ab7270df18ab14efd5b30f21a2b09dfd0f (resized).jpg
    FCCCE7AC-6AA0-49D8-B0C9-1766A3C08ECB (resized).jpeg
    E976EBE4-BAC1-472F-8F84-6AC739C96070 (resized).jpeg
    C500D416-639A-419F-BE1B-F6362C64AABB (resized).jpeg

There are 402 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.
    #151 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Nah, it’s a free market. Dealerships are pretty barren currently. You aren’t finding a Bronco or Maverick at MSRP anywhere in the country on a lot right now.

Some folks are getting lucky snagging custom orders that don't get picked, but yeah, most dealers are tacking on crazy ADM.

#152 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Luckily I prefer buying older, well maintained, used cars so the prior owner(s) paid all the depreciation. My motto is, "Yesterday's technology, today."
    2005 Prius (wife bought years before we met, only owner)

Just a note have you replaced the batteries yet on that?

I was talking to a tech over at my Toyota dealer about their Avalon Hybrid and we got discussing batteries. The Prius at that time (maybe 2 years ago) she said would be $3,000 to replace and guaranteed for 100,000 miles. Just googled it and came up with between $2,200 and $4,100.

It does get good mileage but that battery price!

#153 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

I was talking to a tech over at my Toyota dealer about their Avalon Hybrid and we got discussing batteries. The Prius at that time (maybe 2 years ago) she said would be $3,000 to replace and guaranteed for 100,000 miles. Just googled it and came up with between $2,200 and $4,100.

My 2012 Camry Hybrid is at almost 100,000 miles and the battery is still strong. I've read that the battery packs in these things are really made of about 30 individual batteries spliced together. If you are good with a multimeter, you can replace the bad cells yourself if your battery dies by buying cells from wrecked cars for about $40 each at the junk yard. You may only need 5 or 10. Alternatively, you can buy a non OEM replacement batter that actually has more watt hours for around $2,000.

#154 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Much cheaper here...

https://www.texashybridbatteries.com/batteries

#155 1 year ago
    Quoted from Comox-Rocks:

I just drive/maintain vehicles that are older and kinda cool. No payments!
    76 pacer real estate car
    98 jeep Cherokee for camping/skiing/pin hauling
    [quoted image]

COOL! My aunt and uncle when they were married had a Pacer but a red one. He never could get over the fishbowl effect of it I guess.

7e25e40e4ab125cda5a9a8e0cf084dba (resized).jpg7e25e40e4ab125cda5a9a8e0cf084dba (resized).jpg
    #156 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Nah, it’s a free market. Dealerships are pretty barren currently. You aren’t finding a Bronco or Maverick at MSRP anywhere in the country on a lot right now.

I did a quick search on cars.com for Bronco and came up with at least a dozen in a 500 mile radius listed at MSRP. Most are 2021s, but a few 2022s.

#157 1 year ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

I did a quick search on cars.com for Bronco and came up with at least a dozen in a 500 mile radius listed at MSRP. Most are 2021s, but a few 2022s.

Try to buy one. I can find Mavericks at MSRP too until I call.

#158 1 year ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

until you get to the dealership and you find the out what the door price is

#159 1 year ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

I stopped at a Ford dealership near me the other day and they had a Mach 1 priced 10k above sticker

Go find a used GT350. It’s much cooler.

My wife has almost 10K miles on her First Edition Bronco 4 door and the dealer recently offered us 75K. I believe we paid low 60s which was MSRP. Crazy times.

#160 1 year ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

Most of those just flat out don’t exist (long sold, they don’t update the site because those listings get people to reach out to the dealership). The ones that do won’t be available for MSRP.

#161 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

That’s actually better than the the one at my dealer, 15k. Broncos were 15-25k.

There was a video forced on me in my Facebook feed yesterday that showed a new Bronco getting an "oil change", light brown pancake batter poured out. Odd observation, oil drain plug was a plastic hand screw thingee....I assume the idiot drove through a lake, but god that design looked so cheap.

#162 1 year ago

This looks potentially useful. Search by state, vehicle, etc. for your dealer's markup here. There are even some listed with no markup at all.

https://markups.org/

#163 1 year ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

They’re not, those are customer orders, the dealerships put those on their websites to make it look like more inventory, I spent a week scouring the country, every one listed at MSRP are either already sold or they tell you when call there’s a markup. I’m not talking the baby Bronco(sport), the full size.

#164 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Try to buy one. I can find Mavericks at MSRP too until I call.

Exactly

#165 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

COOL! My aunt and uncle when they were married had a Pacer but a red one. He never could get over the fishbowl effect of it I guess. [quoted image]

There's a group of Israeli researchers that should apply this to a pacer:

#166 1 year ago

I had to cancel my Duramax Silverado order. Sucks. Now I'm on the Silverado EV list. See that how this goes. I can't see bringing a diesel to a place where diesel is 8 bucks a gallon and only going up?

#167 1 year ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

I had to cancel my Duramax Silverado order. Sucks. Now I'm on the Silverado EV list. See that how this goes. I can't see bringing a diesel to a place where diesel is 8 bucks a gallon and only going up?

You are now a participant of the "plan"

#168 1 year ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

You are now a participant of the "plan"

Not happy about it but Im leaving this country

I love the v8s. At least I'll have the Hellcat...

#169 1 year ago

What's going on with Volvo ?

I overlook the dealership from my.health club.
    They have tons of vehicles in their lot.

#170 1 year ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

I can't see bringing a diesel to a place where diesel is 8 bucks a gallon and only going up?

Diesel is $8 a gallon in CT?

#171 1 year ago
    Quoted from indybru:

What's going on with Volvo ?

Chinese company. Some models made there some here.
    Edit: I guess I bunch are still made in Sweden too.

#172 1 year ago
    Quoted from LateCenturyMods:

This looks potentially useful. Search by state, vehicle, etc. for your dealer's markup here. There are even some listed with no markup at all.
    https://markups.org/

That is somewhat useful, but you still have a good chance of getting the mandatory $1800 protection package and $800 doc fee. ADM by a different name. If you are in the market for a particular vehicle, join a forum for that vehicle and read and share info. There are a very few dealerships that don't sharge ADM or crazy doc fees and they will probably be out of state.

#173 1 year ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Diesel is $8 a gallon in CT?

No. I'm moving to Czech Republic and thats what it costs there.

#174 1 year ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

No. I'm moving to Czech Republic and thats what it costs there.

Wow! That's crazy. I am pretty bummed at $5 but I at least get paid to move my vehicles.

#175 1 year ago

Wow! That's crazy. I am pretty bummed at $5 but I at least get paid to move my vehicles.

I here you. 5 bucks is already too much.

I'm not happy about possibly becoming an EVer but I'm not rich so I don't know what else to do to still own a full size truck over there. I drive a 5.3 Silverado now and as of now I don't plan on selling it till I move.

This freakin EV Silverado is supposedly going to have like 650 hp and 750 torque. I guess I will see where this goes.

#177 1 year ago

I saw $3.50/ gallon unleaded yesterday. Hopefully starting to really move back down…

#178 1 year ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

This freakin EV Silverado is supposedly going to have like 650 hp and 750 torque. I guess I will see where this goes.

I think the EV Silverado will be awesome! The wait might be an issue. I have considered the Escalade ESV with the diesel but with the jump in fuel you only save a fraction per mile. In addition, it's not great to idle a lot with the diesels that use DEF. This is an issue for me as my limos tend to idle a bunch.

#179 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I saw $3.50/ gallon unleaded yesterday. Hopefully starting to really move back down…

Let's hope! In my area we are still over $4 except for Costco and Sam's Club.

#180 1 year ago

I think the EV Silverado will be awesome! The wait might be an issue. I have considered the Escalade ESV with the diesel but with the jump in fuel you only save a fraction per mile. In addition, it's not great to idle a lot with the diesels that use DEF. This is an issue for me as my limos tend to idle a bunch.

Just be glad your limos CAN idle. The new hondas (including the Odyssey we just bought) have this dumb thing where when you're stopped they turn OFF the car, then when you let off the brake, they automatically turn ON the car.

To save 1mpg.

And you can't turn it off permanently. You have to press a button every time you start the car to tell it not to do that crap. REALLY irritating. I had a newer lincoln pull up next to me at a stop light and I heard it do the same thing, so it must be the new fad across multiple car manufacturers to fake better EPA ratings.

#181 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Just be glad your limos CAN idle. The new hondas (including the Odyssey we just bought) have this dumb thing where when you're stopped they turn OFF the car, then when you let off the brake, they automatically turn ON the car.
    To save 1mpg.
    And you can't turn it off permanently. You have to press a button every time you start the car to tell it not to do that crap. REALLY irritating. I had a newer lincoln pull up next to me at a stop light and I heard it do the same thing, so it must be the new fad across multiple car manufacturers to fake better EPA ratings.

Great for the starter

#182 1 year ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Great for the starter

Yep, being unaware of this "improvement" in automotive design until we bought the new Odyssey, my first thought was "how much life does this take off the starter and battery?"

For 1 mpg.

#183 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Yep, my first thought was "how much life does this take off the starter and battery?"
    For 1 mpg.

Mercedes has been doing that for years. 1st time I drove a 2018 S550 I was WTF the 1st time I stopped. Really annoying in NYC stop and go traffic.

#184 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Mercedes has been doing that for years. 1st time I drove a 2018 S550 I was WTF the 1st time I stopped. Really annoying in NYC stop and go traffic.

Does it have the bypass button that turns the "feature" off until you turn off the car?

#185 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Go find a used GT350. It’s much cooler.
    My wife has almost 10K miles on her First Edition Bronco 4 door and the dealer recently offered us 75K. I believe we paid low 60s which was MSRP. Crazy times.

I'm not looking to buy one. I stopped in for another reason. I do agree on your GT 350 opinion though.

#186 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Does it have the bypass button that turns the "feature" off until you turn off the car?

Not that I could find. The 2020 Maybach was the same.

#187 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Yep, being unaware of this "improvement" in automotive design until we bought the new Odyssey, my first thought was "how much life does this take off the starter and battery?"
    For 1 mpg.

Add that to the .5 mpg Hondas save by not keeping the battery fully charged. Batteries in my Hondas last about 2 years max. Batteries in my Toyota go 4 to 5 as they should.

You can turn off idle stop permanently by repinning 1 wire.

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/permanently-disable-auto-stop-start.157665/

#188 1 year ago

My 2017 John Cooper Works MINI was my first to have the auto stop/start “feature.” Fortunately, the disable toggle for it is persistent. I haven’t had to deal with that nonsense since day one.

#189 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Add that to the .5 mpg Hondas save by not keeping the battery fully charged. Batteries in my Hondas last about 2 years max. Batteries in my Toyota go 4 to 5 as they should.

What the hell? When I finally get rid of my 13' MDX Advance, If I get something with the engine shutdown I WILL find a way to permanently disable it. I also guess I won't be buying another Honda/Acura if they have that battery nonsense. I previously owned an 05' TL, bought it with 15k, drove it until 170k, literally nothing broke, nothing. That is the only reason I bought the MDX instead of a Tahoe. Should have bought the Tahoe, I've had so much work done on the MDX (All under warranty until it expired in December) its like owning an American or German Vehicle. (My Sierras and BMW 7 series were repair nightmares).

The MDX engine and suspension failures are cool btw...

#190 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

You can turn off idle stop permanently by repinning 1 wire.
    https://www.piloteers.org/threads/permanently-disable-auto-stop-start.157665/

This is great. Only a matter of time before I bite the bullet and do this fix.

#191 1 year ago

You can turn off the auto start/stop on Fords through the menu on display, or if you order your vehicle new you can have it removed. I’m sure there’s other brands that are the same. If not, you can certainly take it a tuner and have it disabled.
    As far as “that’s terrible for the starter” crowd, it’s a completely different starter than a traditional one, they’re engineered to be constantly starting and stopping.

#192 1 year ago

Quick google search shows pretty much every brand has a disable button somewhere. Most not permanently but you just have to hit a button to disable. Like I said before a tuner could do it cheap permanently.

Honda

#193 1 year ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

What the hell? When I finally get rid of my 13' MDX Advance, If I get something with the engine shutdown I WILL find a way to permanently disable it. I also guess I won't be buying another Honda/Acura if they have that battery nonsense. I previously owned an 05' TL, bought it with 15k, drove it until 170k, literally nothing broke, nothing. That is the only reason I bought the MDX instead of a Tahoe. Should have bought the Tahoe, I've had so much work done on the MDX (All under warranty until it expired in December) its like owning an American or German Vehicle. (My Sierras and BMW 7 series were repair nightmares).
    The MDX engine and suspension failures are cool btw...

If you buy your battery from a place that doesn't give you a hard time, it's not so bad. Most places offer free replacement if a battery fails within 3 years. so you are practically guaranteed a new battery at year 2. Where it becomes a hassle is when places try to fuc* with ya. Advanced Auto likes to play this game where they want to throw it on the charger then test the battery. You can't accurately test a car battery that way. There is a memory from the charge for a few hours afterwards. But most people don't know and just say screw it and buy a new battery vs the hassle. When you call them on the BS they give you the new battery.

#194 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Go into the menu and bring up the ECO mode, you can shut it off from there.

#195 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Go into the menu and bring up the ECO mode, you can shut it off from there.

It wasn't my car, I was getting paid to drive a multi-millionaire back and forth to NYC several times a month. I put 20K miles on it.

#196 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

It wasn't my car, I was getting paid to drive a multi-millionaire back and forth to NYC several times a month. I put 20K miles on it.

Isn't a multi-millionaire in NYC basically a step above homeless?

#197 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Isn't a multi-millionaire in NYC basically a step above homeless?

Not when you have an upper west side 3K sq ft condo in Manhattan, offices in 2 World Trade Center and own a fortune 500 company in PA. Plus own 100 rental properties.

#198 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

If you buy your battery from a place that doesn't give you a hard time, it's not so bad. Most places offer free replacement if a battery fails within 3 years. so you are practically guaranteed a new battery at year 2. Where it becomes a hassle is when places try to fuc* with ya. Advanced Auto likes to play this game where they want to throw it on the charger then test the battery. You can't accurately test a car battery that way. There is a memory from the charge for a few hours afterwards. But most people don't know and just say screw it and buy a new battery vs the hassle. When you call them on the BS they give you the new battery.

I had a battery from Autozone freeze solid (Bulging horribly). Brought it in and they threw it on their "tester". Told me it was fine. I laughed, "So frozen, bulging batteries are fine at Autozone?" Guy says....Um, no.. "So replace it" (was under warranty)....Idiot continues with the "It tests fine" BS...I was having a bad day, and wasn't in the mood for lack of brain activity....Long story short, they mentioned calling the police after I borderline lost it. I told them to go right ahead, I'll wait right here. Which resulted in me walking out with a brand new battery, and never returning to an Autozone. Morons...

#199 1 year ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

I had a battery from Autozone freeze solid (Bulging horribly). Brought it in and they threw it on their "tester". Told me it was fine. I laughed, "So frozen, bulging batteries are fine at Autozone?" Guy says....Um, no.. "So replace it" (was under warranty)....Idiot continues with the "It tests fine" BS...I was having a bad day, and wasn't in the mood for lack of brain activity....Long story short, they mentioned calling the police after I borderline lost it. I told them to go right ahead, I'll wait right here. Which resulted in me walking out with a brand new battery, and never returning to an Autozone. Morons...

LMAO. I bought a set of front brake pads from Autozone for my CRV. After installing new rotors, I realized the pads had 3 outboard pads and 1 inboard pad. I was pissed. Took another vehicle to NAPA and got the correct parts. Returned everything to Autozone. Never got an apology over the grief, and when they asked what was wrong with the rotors, "Nothing, returning them for spite". Dead silence.

#200 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

LMAO. I bought a set of front brake pads from Autozone for my CRV. After installing new rotors, I realized the pads had 3 outboard pads and 1 inboard pad. I was pissed. Took another vehicle to NAPA and got the correct parts. Returned everything to Autozone. Never got an apology over the grief, and when they asked what was wrong with the rotors, "Nothing, returning them for spite". Dead silence.

Ha, perfect

There are 402 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-used-car-market-sucks-rant/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.