Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 402 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 months ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

area51 (resized).PNG
    0B033F21-0F10-4E5D-8BDD-1EE8824E6E79 (resized).jpeg
    20221231_165143 (resized).jpg
    20221231_123310 (resized).jpg
    Wilderness (resized).jpg
    mav (resized).PNG
    313A00FE-0CFE-476E-9EF7-73775A1307C0 (resized).jpeg
    1969_compton-ca_side (resized).jpg
    zr2 (resized).jpg
    THIS! (resized).jpg
    7e25e40e4ab125cda5a9a8e0cf084dba (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 4.54.22 PM (resized).jpg
    e5a593ab7270df18ab14efd5b30f21a2b09dfd0f (resized).jpg
    FCCCE7AC-6AA0-49D8-B0C9-1766A3C08ECB (resized).jpeg
    E976EBE4-BAC1-472F-8F84-6AC739C96070 (resized).jpeg
    C500D416-639A-419F-BE1B-F6362C64AABB (resized).jpeg

There are 402 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Luckily I prefer buying older, well maintained, used cars so the prior owner(s) paid all the depreciation. My motto is, "Yesterday's technology, today."
    2003 Saab 9-3 Turbo Convertible
    2005 Prius (wife bought years before we met, only owner)
    2006 Mercury Mountaineer
    2016 Lincoln MKX

Agreed. But I kinda need to do this.

I will have a sweet 2017 midnight edition Silverado 1500 up for sale in a few months though if they try to lowball it for my trade in.

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

I’m ordering a Bronco this week, MSRP, with everything I want, yeah I have to wait 6 months to a year, but I don’t suffer from FOMO like a typical pinsider. Ford is offering me $1200 less than I paid for my 5.0 in Nov 16. I rejected the offer. Life is good.

Full size Bronco?

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Full size Bronco?

Yeah, not the sport. Badlands with the Sasquatch package.

#54 2 years ago

My 2006 Colorado is getting a little long in the tooth. Had planned on maybe picking up a new 'last year model' Ranger at a discount when Ford announced the next year models. That plan fell apart with COVID. I bet it will easily be another year before the manufactures even get back to some sort of normalness. But on the flip side, I retired - so driving went way down.

One of the local Ford dealers use to have maybe 50ish new trucks setting in the lot, haven't seen anything there for probably a year. The car section is mostly used cars parked sideways to make the lot look fuller.

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Luckily I prefer buying older, well maintained, used cars so the prior owner(s) paid all the depreciation. My motto is, "Yesterday's technology, today."
    2003 Saab 9-3 Turbo Convertible
    2005 Prius (wife bought years before we met, only owner)
    2006 Mercury Mountaineer
    2016 Lincoln MKX

that Mountaineer makes a great long distance pinhauler! Speaking from experience here lol

#56 2 years ago

The current new car market is a lot like the current pin market, buy NIB and wait or pay more to get one now.

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Yeah, not the sport. Badlands with the Sasquatch package.

Dammmmmmm! You went all out! Very nice. We were looking at those too. Hope you fill us in when you get it. Wicked cool truck!

The Duramax turbo diesel makes most sense for us to bring to Eastern Europe for a full size truck. Actually gets over 30mpg hwy were as my current truck is rated for 21 mpg hwy......which it never gets. I usually get like 15 all around. So I hope to double that or at least come close.

I 1st looked at the idea of bringing a Tacoma but the mpg was worse than what I ordered and to buy the European Tacaoma, which is called a Helix, with a diesel would cost around $67000 US having a decent trim package.

I really want a full size truck anyway

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

The Duramax turbo diesel makes most sense for us to bring to Eastern Europe for a full size truck.

Are you going to be using that as a daily driver? That is going to be a huge vehicle for Europe in comparison to the typical vehicle there. I can't even imagine trying to park that in any of the cities there lol. My Dad had an 80's VW camper that they drove there for years. That was considered to be oversized by most......

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from SergioJ:

Are you going to be using that as a daily driver? That is going to be a huge vehicle for Europe in comparison to the typical vehicle there. I can't even imagine trying to park that in any of the cities there lol. My Dad had an 80's VW camper that they drove there for years. That was considered to be oversized by most......

Basically A daily driver. But I won't need it daily like in America. It might get tight at some areas I visit but will be great for cruising highways and the mpg is not bad at all.

If it doesn't work out I can make a premium. I don't see it being a big problem.

Check out these prices. Insane. The Czech crown is about 21.5 = $1

https://www.autooutlet.cz/en/cars/

#60 2 years ago

Yeah, new and used car prices suck, but with pinball prices so high at least I can cash in and get still get that van so that I can still live down next to the river.

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Basically A daily driver. But I won't need it daily like in America. It might get tight at some areas I visit but will be great for cruising highways and the mpg is not bad at all.
    If it doesn't work out I can make a premium. I don't see it being a big problem.
    Check out these prices. Insane. The Czech crown is about 21.5 = $1
    https://www.autooutlet.cz/en/cars/

You’re going to bring a Silverado to the Czech Republic as a daily driver? When I was there I rented a Scoda which is like a small Mercedes and parking in Prague and a few other cities could be an issue at times. A lot of one way streets with parallel parking. The streets are narrow as well. A Silverado would be a nightmare.
    Also the the crown at the time was 37=1 so a beer at the bar in Prague was about 50 cents and in the small towns about 25 cents. When a streetwalker offered up her services, I remembered how shocked I was at how cheap it would be as I was doing the conversion in my head. Which coincidentally, was the service she offered.

#63 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

You’re going to bring a Silverado to the Czech Republic as a daily driver?

Merica!!!!

#64 2 years ago

Just checked the KBB on my 2019 Tacoma and it's basically the same price as what I paid new

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from chooch:

Just checked the KBB on my 2019 Tacoma and it's basically the same price as what I paid new

Same for my 2019 Tahoe.

#67 2 years ago

I'm really considering selling/trading in my Raptor because the value is so insane, but I need a truck and if I trade it in, then I'll be the shmuck looking for a new ride at huge expense

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

You’re going to bring a Silverado to the Czech Republic as a daily driver? When I was there I rented a Scoda which is like a small Mercedes and parking in Prague and a few other cities could be an issue at times. A lot of one way streets with parallel parking. The streets are narrow as well. A Silverado would be a nightmare.
    Also the the crown at the time was 37=1 so a beer at the bar in Prague was about 50 cents and in the small towns about 25 cents. When a streetwalker offered up her services, I remembered how shocked I was at how cheap it would be as I was doing the conversion in my head. Which coincidentally, was the service she offered.

37czk = $1 was a long time ago. I won't be driving it in Prague pretty much at all. I have been going there with my wife for 20 years. I have driven Skodas. Nice cars. I will be taking it up to the northern parts of the Czech Republic where we have a vacation home and it will become very useful.

As far as touring different parts of Europe it will be a comfortable truck at over 30 miles per gallon. Sure I might have some issues parking and if it becomes an issue it won't be difficult to get rid of. Check out the link that I put up in my last post on pricing of American vehicles.

I actually plan on bringing 2 big American vehicles

#69 2 years ago

Yes sir! A Canyon with leather costs 67k there. A platinum f150 is 93k. We pay msrp right now but they pay a big premium for these vehicles.

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

What year were you there? Beer is still cheaper than water.

#71 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

What year were you there? Beer is still cheaper than water.

#72 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Me: "I'd just like to look it over, crawl underneath and test drive it.

What I hear is, " I want to come over and kick the tires. "

#74 2 years ago

Here is my new (embarrassingly dirty) 2022 F-150 King Ranch. Ordered it back in August as a 2021, it converted to a 2022 order in November, I took delivery the first week of January. I found out I had to do most of the legwork myself on finding out what the holdups were to get it built. There are F-150 forums that are very helpful in that regard. By altering the options chosen slightly I was able to nurse this through faster than other guys have gotten their trucks.

Luckily my dealer was still willing to take an employee pricing deal. They also impressed the crap out of me by finding me a 2.34 percent loan and $5200 in rebates for a total of about $12,000 off of MSRP. Add to that the 2016 Limited I traded in that I had owned for 2 years I got a couple of thousand dollars more for than I paid for it. Very pleased with my deal and the truck, just trying to get used to the hybrid drive train but so far I'm happy with that choice.

Hopefully it's OK for me to put a "happy" story in this thread? If not please politely boo me and I'll leave.

2022 F-150 King Ranch 2.JPEG (resized).jpg2022 F-150 King Ranch 2.JPEG (resized).jpg
    #75 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I wonder if we'll get a pinargument in a car thread ?
    LTG : )

Here's one (haha): If this were a pin, the OP would be admonished for expecting the seller to bend over backwards for him. People would be saying, "In this market, you have to be quick, with cash. Sellers don't have to negotiate terms/price when there's more demand than supply". Well, that's the case with both cars and pins right now.

Another one: Is Stern strong-arming their dealers into not gouging like Ford and GM? Nope.

#76 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

The new car market sucks too. Priced a duramax silverado 1500 today. No negotiation on the msrp and like a 6 to 8 month wait

SF Bay area dealers are asking (and getting) $4-6k OVER msrp on new Honda Odysseys. We felt LUCKY to find the color/model we were looking for at "only" $2k over msrp. The dealership we bought from is selling them literally before they hit the lot. If our 2008 Odyssey wasn't on its last legs with major repairs needed to keep it going past 250k miles, I would have waited, but we didn't have a choice. Definitely NOT a buyer-friendly market.

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

What I hear is, " I want to come over and kick the tires. "

Yeah, I would drive 5.5 hours roundtrip just to kick the tires.

#78 2 years ago

These days an Element with low miles is pretty rare I would guess she had a lot of calls and went with the first person to show up with the $$.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

the OP would be admonished for expecting the seller to bend over backwards for him.

I don't think asking for a single picture before driving 5.5 hours is asking the seller to bend over backwards. Would you drive that distance to buy a 16year old pin if the seller refused a picture of the playfield?

#80 2 years ago

The real question is what happens to the people that paid well over MSRP on a new car when the market normalizes?
    They go to try and sell in 3-4 years and they will have some serious negative equity

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from TomT:

These days an Element with low miles is pretty rare I would guess she had a lot of calls and went with the first person to show up with the $$.

It's still for sale.

#82 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

I’m ordering a Bronco this week, MSRP, with everything I want, yeah I have to wait 6 months to a year, but I don’t suffer from FOMO like a typical pinsider. Ford is offering me $1200 less than I paid for my 5.0 in Nov 16. I rejected the offer. Life is good.

1 year is minimum unless you went with the soft top and shed some options. I've been waiting on my 2-door hard top for well over a year now, with no build date in site. Thank god they are locking in the 2020 order pricing....some guys are paying 10K over MSRP just for a stripped model.

#83 2 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

1 year is minimum unless you went with the soft top and shed some options. I've been waiting on my 2-door hard top for well over a year now, with no build date in site. Thank god they are locking in the 2020 order pricing....some guys are paying 10K over MSRP just for a stripped model.

I just read the hardtop delay is over, it’s now a few of the options like tow package, paint protector film and 1 other, I can’t recall, is holding up some orders. I’m in no hurry.

#84 2 years ago

Prices we have seen to replace our Escalade ESV's with dealer markup is around $125k. CRAZY!

#85 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

A lot of one way streets with parallel parking. The streets are narrow as well. A Silverado would be a nightmare.

I know the city quite well and am not concerned. The truck will probably be a commodity instead of a nightmare.

#86 2 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

The real question is what happens to the people that paid well over MSRP on a new car when the market normalizes?
    They go to try and sell in 3-4 years and they will have some serious negative equity

Especially with the 6 and 7 year loans people need to afford new cars nowadays

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

I know the city quite well and am not concerned. The truck will probably be a commodity instead of a nightmare.

Do they still have those guys digging up and repairing the cobblestone roads? Man, those were jarring to drive over.

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Do they still have those guys digging up and repairing the cobblestone roads? Man, those were jarring to drive over.

Oh yeah they are. Still doing it. Tough to walk on after a while too.

The buildings might be a bit more colorful now since you were there since it was only 11 from the time communism collapsed. My wife said that everything was grey when she was growing up there.

#89 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Yeah, I would drive 5.5 hours roundtrip just to kick the tires.

So would I ( Matter of fact, I did that in the early 80s; But is was more like 10 hours round trip. This was before digital photography and email. And the car was rust bucket ).

If the seller does not want the hassle there is not much you can do.

Quoted from tomdrum:

I don't think asking for a single picture before driving 5.5 hours is asking the seller to bend over backwards. Would you drive that distance to buy a 16year old pin if the seller refused a picture of the playfield?

It would depend on the pin. I always demanded pictures, but always made sure the seller knew I was on the way with cash and that I was coming to make a not-tire-kicker-no-hassle buy.

Quoted from tomdrum:

It's still for sale.

In the old days of newspapers and before Craiglist, when you had to pay to place an ad that only lasted for a week or 2 weeks or just weekends, when your ad was close to expiring, you might start getting real price and negotiating friendly. Just because you placed an ad did not mean you made a sale. There was more than one instance where calling an ad from and old newspaper and asking if the "unit" was still for sale would bring a reply of, "Yes". And then you could make a deal .

Then Craigslist came along and a seller can keep something up for sale for months, if not years, and gets to place the ad for free. It is hard to bargain with someone in this position; Especially, when what is for sale is not eating anything.

If it is still for sale in a couple more weeks, then maybe the seller will be more friendly. This is where you be nice, play nice. Contact the seller again and say you are "still interested in having a look. Here is my phone number if we can work something out. "

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Yeah, new and used car prices suck, but with pinball prices so high at least I can cash in and get still get that van so that I can still live down next to the river.

I've got just the van for you:

IMG_20220222_180842966 (resized).jpgIMG_20220222_180842966 (resized).jpg
    #91 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

The new car market sucks too. Priced a duramax silverado 1500 today. No negotiation on the msrp and like a 6 to 8 month wait

Be lucky they didn't ask you for an extra 5-10k OVER MSRP, like my Honda dealer did on my Civic Sport. I went to other dealers after that.....they laughed in my face, literally, when I even asked them if they had them.

#92 2 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I've got just the van for you:

I had one of those a long time ago. They do not fit in most parking decks.

(The antenna on top was broken, and the roof was pretty beat up when I sold it).

#93 2 years ago

Get a gen1 Scion xB:

-Super cheap
    -Great on gas
    -Never break
    -Can fit a pin

#94 2 years ago

The car market is sure nuts, I heard of people selling their leases for a profit. I'm debating on buying and then immediately selling my leased 2020 Tacoma 4x4 quad cab. Buy out price is $30k, I could probably sell it for $35k and then roll that $5k into a 3 year old vehicle.

#95 2 years ago
    image016 (3) (resized).jpgimage016 (3) (resized).jpg
    #96 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinwizkid:

Get a gen1 Scion xB:
    -Can fit a pin

If half of it hangs out the back maybe

#97 2 years ago
    Quoted from Asmig:

Or a second generation one (Daihatsu Materis). pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#98 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinwizkid:

Get a gen1 Scion xB:
    -Super cheap
    -Great on gas
    -Never break
    -Can fit a pin

304,000 miles, hail damage, new tires and battery. For $2300.00. I have been out of the car market for too long. for 304,000 miles, why is it for sale?

dallas.craigslist.org link

Quoted from Asmig:

Wrong Scion.

#99 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Wrong Scion.

Didn’t believe it myself but I guess it works. Where do I put the dolly though, roof rack?

88731057-CA0A-44B2-8C1D-8AC9B5E0E505 (resized).png88731057-CA0A-44B2-8C1D-8AC9B5E0E505 (resized).png
    #100 2 years ago

Don’t lowball me, I know what I have!

There are 402 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-used-car-market-sucks-rant/page/2?hl=asmig and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.