(Topic ID: 128819)

The unofficial 2015 Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show thread!

By nwpinball

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 91 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 25 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

truckstop.jpg
    IMG_1270.JPG
    IMG_1269.JPG
    Saturday top view.jpg
    pan.JPG
    Joust boys.JPG
    Seawitch.JPG
    so many pinball machines.jpg
    drivers.JPG
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    The Walking Dead.JPG
    Pinball Bulbs booth 02.JPG
    Pinball Bulbs booth 01.JPG
    Tournament row.JPG
    Raffle Pin Woah Nellie.JPG

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Awesome, thanks!!!

You're welcome. I believe the tournaments will be streamed from here...

http://www.twitch.tv/kevinddr

I really appreciate the work they do to provide these for everyone!

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisVW:

I'm working on the details for this.
    I will post here when I know something. Keep your calendar clear tomorrow morning PST. Unfortunately it will be short notice, lots of moving pieces...

Well it's looking like that's not going to happen after all. The game is being worked on upstairs. It's available for viewing by everyone on the show floor though. I can take some video and post it but it'll just be crappy cell phone video

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisVW:

Well it's looking like that's not going to happen after all. The game is being worked on upstairs. It's available for viewing by everyone on the show floor though. I can take some video and post it but it'll just be crappy cell phone video

That's too bad, but totally out of your control. Thanks for making the effort to try to get us a glimpse of the machine though. Much appreciated!

#54 4 years ago

Shot of today at the show!
    Saturday top view.jpg

#55 4 years ago

Hercules really dwarfs the other games in size.

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Hercules really dwarfs the other games in size.

...and suckiness.

#57 4 years ago

Yeah, really it's only redeeming feature is it's freakish size. We play games on it for money to make it fun.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

...and suckiness.

That's an understatement!

#59 4 years ago

A couple of Magic Girl photos from SAT.

IMG_1269.JPG IMG_1270.JPG
    #60 4 years ago

On behalf of those that couldn't make the trip- Thanks again for the great live-streaming!

It was very well done and appreciated!

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Yeah, really it's only redeeming feature is it's freakish size. We play games on it for money to make it fun.

Split flipper teams is very fun on Herc.

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

The first 4 semis of games have been unloaded at the Tacoma Convention Center already and the trucks are out for their second run of game pick ups!
    Also, check this out, the LeMay Car Museum is loaning us the car from The Flinstones Movie for the 2015 NW Pinball & Arcade Show this weekend. Here they are unloading it and our own Patty Okert taking a spin in it! Turns out you don't need to power it with your feet. The car will be staged next to a Flinstones pinball machine in the main show hall this weekend! They also are loaning us a Corvette, which will be staged by a Stern Corvette pin.
    0000Flinstones.jpg
    0001Flinstones.jpg

Pretty cool that Renee Crist herself brought the vehicles from the LeMay Museum.

#63 4 years ago

Final attendance figures for the show?

#64 4 years ago

What pinball machine won best of show?

#65 4 years ago

Pinball tourney results need updating also.

#66 4 years ago

How about some info on kiss and the other new games.
    I would love to hear some thoughts on game play etc.

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

How about some info on kiss and the other new games.
    I would love to hear some thoughts on game play etc.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-played-kiss-at-nwpas-and-liked-it

I played hobbit too. Improved from few months back at TPF but the SW was still pretty raw. Visually it's stunning and it's full of different modes but I think the software needs to mature before any real judgement can be made

#68 4 years ago

Kudos to the organisers, volunteers and people who loaned their games for the weekend! The show was Fantastic! well organized, great lineup and super fun. See you again next year!!

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

What pinball machine won best of show?

No idea, but my vote would have gone to Tattoo Mystique because I'm a sucker for DIY.

#70 4 years ago

Tattoo Mystique did win for best new design.

#71 4 years ago

Thanks to everyone who came to the show to help make it a success.

As one of the people supplying machines I hope everybody who played them enjoyed them. I know my machines appreciated the workout. Things that were going to break actually broke and I'd rather know what's on the verge of breaking and fix it than not knowing or having it surprise me. It was a rough Friday and early Saturday but once the kinks were worked out things seemed to work fine for my machines. My apologies for when the machines were down. Half of my machines I provided were very recently extensively (complete tear-down for most above and below playfield components) shopped "container games" and this show helped me find all the weak points. Thanks to everyone who played them and "beat the snot out of them".

Now to go back to fixing and fine tuning them again for next year's show!

#72 4 years ago

Welby was mentioning there were some machine breakdowns on Friday and early Saturday, but the machines did get fixed promptly from what I hear.

Also Welby did bring some of his parts supplies along and made parts available to folks to get their machines operational again. He sold lots of playfield glass too.

#73 4 years ago

As always, a great show, I thought the layout this year was particularly good, lots of room and things were grouped nicely together. Excellent idea to put The Hobbit, WOZ and Kiss in a pinwheel at the center of the pins, opened things up. There were some very cool videos this year, NWPAGS is gaining ground on CAX as having the best vids.

#74 4 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

there were some machine breakdowns on Friday and early Saturday

I feel that the machines (working/not working) ratio was pretty good for a show like this (about 90-95% working)
    and the Tech crew tried their best to get to games needing help as soon as the tech table was notified,
    and on occasion i saw show tech people walking the rows looking for games in trouble.
    I found one EM pin that was not starting a new game, so i thought it just needed credits,
    but it turned out that the score motor was running continuously during start up sequence,
    but due to the loud noise (din) in the room
    it was impossible to even hear the score motor running.
    Thankfully when we opened the game we saw there issue, and fortunately turning the game off for a short while
    then powering it back on and adding a couple credits got it back into a normal mode of starting properly.
    But one could have seen a situation that the score motor might have burned up if let to run continuously for hours and no one detecting the problem, due to the loud noises.

#75 4 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

Excellent idea to put The Hobbit, WOZ and Kiss in a pinwheel at the center of the pins, opened things up.

I saw that in a picture and wondered how that might be. At TPF this year they had a WoZ and the Hobbit side by side at the end of a row and the lines made for quite a congested little area.

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from Freeplay40:

Tattoo Mystique did win for best new design.

That machine was a one ball game. How could you make any determination from a flippin one ball game? lol
    Had a good time there. Got Nordman and Freres to sign my EATPM Translite which was the highlight!

Hobbit,Kiss and Woah Nellie made it but no MMR and no TBL. Still worth the drive as it was huge and still packed on Sunday.
    There were no GNR there, but had lunch at Dorky's up the street and they had one along with a new Kiss, WOZ, and several others.
    Never been to Dorky's before, and I now rank it above Ground Kontrol as the best place to play overall in the NW.
    My only beef is there were several machines down and some including GNR that were filthy. Still,with the amount of floor space,food, beer and other cool arcade machines,it didn't feel cramped and stuffy like GK in Portland, and the selection of pins was just as good.
    So if you go to the show next year or are ever in Tacoma,make sure to go as it is only 5 blocks up from the Convention Center.

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Final attendance figures for the show?

I saw the rough guestimate at closing, it was around 2,900-3,000, it was a couple hundred more from last year. All the pinball tournaments had significantly more players except for the women's tourney.

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I feel that the machines (working/not working) ratio was pretty good for a show like this (about 90-95% working)
    and the Tech crew tried their best to get to games needing help as soon as the tech table was notified,
    and on occasion i saw show tech people walking the rows looking for games in trouble.

My Dr. Who went down, a pinball medic was able to do a quick board repair and had it up and running before I had a chance to look at it. A great team of repair guys this year, they were really on it!

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Welby was mentioning there were some machine breakdowns on Friday and early Saturday, but the machines did get fixed promptly from what I hear.
    Also Welby did bring some of his parts supplies along and made parts available to folks to get their machines operational again. He sold lots of playfield glass too.

Welby, Okert, Shoemaker and the show all stock a lot of parts. Typically Friday is when the most machines go down, machines that arrived with problems or that hadn't been left one for more than a couple hours in years get noticed down or with errors and most get fixed. By Saturday afternoon usually most machines are up and there are few deemed un-savable within time constraints or parts supply of the show. I think there were only 5-7 of these.

#80 4 years ago

Just out of curiosity were there power issues at the show? I noticed a LOT of machines with weak flippers. I would be curious to know what the line voltage at the outlets was with all the games on.

#81 4 years ago

Good show, best so far I would say. AC working good, lots of machines, lots of vendors.
    Had a good time, met some good people and put faces to names. Swap meet next year or more stuff for sale?
    All good though.

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from pin-pimp:

AC working good

It was almost a little too chilly for me at times,
    though wishing i has some good A/C now, as it got up to 95'F today in salem OR.

#83 4 years ago

Was my second show, had a great time. Notables for me:

- Lineups for Hobbit and KISS were not crazy long, at times you could walk up and play right away or within a minute which I did (which was great as I had no intention of waiting to play so I hadn't even planned on trying them). I've never much liked WOZ in looks/theme/lighting or gameplay, but Hobbit is stunning gorgeous. Gameplay not sure about, way more wide open feeling but maybe too slow for my liking from a single play impression. KISS on the surface looks pretty good visually but I just didn't feel the excitement yet even after playing several games on it. Obviously many more plays needed on both to get a real idea.

- It was very cool for me to see a Hercules in person. I always remembered seeing a huge machine in the 70s as a kid in an arcade and later wondered what it was when I got into pinball recently. I saw pictures of Hercules online but it never looked as big as I remembered so wonder if this was really it. In person at the show it looked quite large though so I am sure it was the machine I saw as a kid. Had one game on it and it was indeed slow and boring as hell, but still cool to finally see it and try it!

- The highlight on the floor for me was Tim Meighan's beautifully restored bank of EM machines. I don't love EMs more than other eras, but I like how you can go to a show like this and play a wide variety of them that you might never see elsewhere. These machines looked and played like brand new and they weren't super busy so lots of fun to be had there. Very much appreciate that he would share these with us to play after what must have been a massive amount of work getting them pristine.

- I like playing in tournaments and they were great fun, so thanks very much to the organizers, and everyone involved with putting on the show for that matter. My only real wish here is that the show was another day longer as I spent 2/3 of my time playing in or resting for tournaments and didn't have as much time as I'd like to hit all the machines I'd never played before on the floor.

- Always cool to see some interesting arcade machines. I thought Night Rider was pretty interesting, I didn't know an arcade version of it existed.

- Had a shopping list of parts to buy as ordering into Canada is prohibitive. Picked up about half what I needed. Would always love to see a bit more of the common products offered like all super band post rubbers and pin-butts and similar.

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from pin-pimp:

Good show, best so far I would say. AC working good, lots of machines, lots of vendors.
    Had a good time, met some good people and put faces to names. Swap meet next year or more stuff for sale?
    All good though.

Awww, man. I should've remembered to see who was going to be there so I could've put a face to the names as well. I was the guy on staff with glasses always running around putting credits on the machines and taking reports for broken games.

#85 4 years ago

Welby's "Buckaroo" pinball certainly got a good workout there. Now that it is back home, I've repaired the score reel problems and glued the backbox back together.

#86 4 years ago

Had fun at the show, though only could go for a day. I enjoyed a couple of games that I'd never played (or seen) before, most of all Truck Stop. Also really enjoyed Twilight Zone and had the first decent LOTR game in my life. Happy to play Kiss, Hobbit, and WNBJM, though none of those did much for me. And if you want to know who had the shortest Hercules ball time at the show, yeah, that was me.

I wanted to win that Black Knight raffle so badly, but it said you had to be present to win and I couldn't be. Hope one of you guys got it.

truckstop.jpg

#87 4 years ago
    Quoted from canea:

I wanted to win that Black Knight raffle so badly, but it said you had to be present to win and I couldn't be. Hope one of you guys got it.

I believe a show volunteer won that. Seems fishy haha - just kidding- totally well deserved. I picked up the x box Friday night so can't complain too much

#88 4 years ago

Ok, I thought maybe this is the best place to ask because it is driving me crazy. Does Twitch work for everyone? Every video I click on there is a menu and it just keeps playing music. No where to click. I have Macs, so is that the problem or do you need an account? I get the ad. I would love to see the NWPA coverage.

#89 4 years ago

Here's a link to view them on YouTube!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwhs5U9t1yWqpSZVjzILTxQ

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Ok, I thought maybe this is the best place to ask because it is driving me crazy. Does Twitch work for everyone? Every video I click on there is a menu and it just keeps playing music. No where to click. I have Macs, so is that the problem or do you need an account? I get the ad. I would love to see the NWPA coverage.

I watched them all on a Mac with no problem. There is a lot of dead air at the start of most of the videos. There should be a progress bar on the player. I just skipped ahead until the session started.

#91 4 years ago

You are the man. I tried YouTube searches and got nothing. Thanks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 11.95
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Rubber/Silicone
    Scandinavian Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 16.95
    $ 27.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 279.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 2.50
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    Displays
    PinballSolutions.eu
    There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside