Paradise Shoots Again (resized).jpg
20230325_091435.jpg
20211104_104628 (resized).jpg
20211104_104618 (resized).jpg
20211104_104608 (resized).jpg
20211104_104549 (resized).jpg
20211104_104332 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I just started working on a Gottlieb Paradise that had been in storage since the late 1960s, or so the estate sale company said.
I'm hoping Pinsiders who own (or have owned) this beautiful machine can chime in with their experience restoring and maintaining it.

My questions for now:

1. Are these machines supposed to have #455 flashers as part of the 6-lamp string behind the backbox hula girl? I didn't see flashers for this string in the schematic, but my machine has two #455 lamps along with four #47 lamps. I plan to replace all the #47s in this pin with soft white LEDs.

2. Best way to clean the dancing hula girl plastics? I'm hoping to restore some luster without destroying anything.

3. Any helpful hints or suggestions, in general, for restoring and maintaining the hula girl and the under-PF projection roto unit?

#2 2 years ago

Welcome to Paradise....
Good to have a club, as a brand new owner, I'm interested in all the above questions.

It's my first EM, so I'm taking it slow on investigating the backbox mechs.

Scary stuff for a SS maniac like me.

Cheers!

20211016_143911 (resized).jpg20211016_143911 (resized).jpg20211016_162138 (resized).jpg20211016_162138 (resized).jpg20211016_172932 (resized).jpg20211016_172932 (resized).jpg
#3 2 years ago

My Pleasure Isle doesn't have 455s in that string, it had 44s though I've now got 47s in to keep it cooler. I carefully cleaned the Hula girl with a cloth and novus 1 which brought it back quite well. ( not Novus 3 as previously stated!)
My main concern with this machine is the ball-wear issue on the kick out holes. Later games, like Melody or Sing along for example, have small stainless rings in their inserts but none were fitted to these models. I tried a spare ring from a scrap Spin a Card but it didnt fit and PBR told me they couldnt help. Anyone else got a solution?

#4 2 years ago

One of Gottlieb's very best efforts. If they had made a single player wedgehead version, it would likely have been the most desired wedgehead. As it is, they are both fantastic games all around.
Lamps.... well, it's a matter of taste. Not sure how the were originally configured, but if you like flashers, go ahead and install them. As with playfield plastics, the way to clean the hula gal and the beach ball wheel on "PI", is with warm soapy water, then dry and polish both sides with Novus 2.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Vintage-Pinball:

. I tried a spare ring from a scrap Spin a Card but it didnt fit and PBR told me they couldnt help. Anyone else got a solution?

Unless the holes are a different diameter, the ring should fit.
I know PBR used to have the rings, unless they're different for these two models.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Unless the holes are a different diameter, the ring should fit.
I know PBR used to have the rings, unless they're different for these two models.

I asked Jimmy that specific question so I suppose the diameter is different though the kick out mech would be different too? It looks to me though that it's no different to any of the other machines that use it. I think I'll order up a set anyway just to see if they can be made to fit to preserve the holes from any more damage. I can always put them in my Kings and Queens if they wont fit.

1 week later
#7 2 years ago

While replacing backbox lamps, I noticed a couple of things associated with the dancing hula girl mechanism that seemed odd, but maybe there is a simple explanation for both.

1. The metal plate holding the relay coil that moves the hula girl is attached to the back of the backbox panel with the right screw at the highest point in its slot and left screw positioned in the lowest point in its slot. These two photos shows how this appears from the back and front of the panel. There were no other screw holes under the plate, so it appears this is original but I'd like confirmation from others.

Back of panel:

20211101_194709 (resized).jpg20211101_194709 (resized).jpg

Front of panel:

GTB Paradise Backbox lamp positions (resized).jpgGTB Paradise Backbox lamp positions (resized).jpg

2. The hula girl is attached to each end of the coil actuator plate by springs. The spring on the left inserts directly through a hole in the plate whereas the spring on the right attaches to the loop of a short-legged "cotter pin" whose legs are inserted through the hole from below and then bent at right angles for retention. Was this original and by design? Or is the "cotter pin" missing from the left side?

Close up of spring attachments to coil actuator plate:

20211025_211511 (resized).jpg20211025_211511 (resized).jpg 20211101_202452 (resized).jpg20211101_202452 (resized).jpg

#8 2 years ago

I checked IPDB pics for Paradise last night. I see the coil bracket controlling the hula girl is lopsided too, so it seems that's the intent. Maybe the tilt helps the action of the parts or maybe it counteracts any torque generated that might loosen the bracket?

If anyone could check the attachments of the springs to the coil plate on their machine, I'd be much obliged.

PM

#9 2 years ago

The original Gottlieb reference photo of the backbox might help:

https://gottliebpin.com/archive/GTB-Ref/218/gtb-pb218-backbox.jpg

Many similarly helpful reference photos are on the PBResource site at:
http://www.pbresource.com/pfplayf.html

/Mark

#10 2 years ago

MarkG

Thanks for the tip! I didn't know about these pages at PBR. It definitely shows a tilted coil bracket as is seen in IPDB pics and in my machine. I'd love to know why that is installed that way. My current assumption is the tilt is required for the best resting position of the animation.

Unfortunately no pics at PBR show the attachment of the dancing girl to the coil actuator plate. Hopefully an owner will see this thread and be able to tell me if mine is missing a part (i.e. the stubby cotter pin) or not.

PM

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from PiscisMagnus:

Hopefully an owner will see this thread and be able to tell me if mine is missing a part

I have both a Paradise and Pleasure Isle, but neither are set up.
Tomorrow, if you still could use a pic, I'll check if I can get to one
of them..

#12 2 years ago

Mopar

Yes, thank you!

PM

#13 2 years ago

These images of my Pleasure Isle might help:

20211104_104253 (resized).jpg20211104_104253 (resized).jpg20211104_104314 (resized).jpg20211104_104314 (resized).jpg20211104_104332 (resized).jpg20211104_104332 (resized).jpg20211104_104549 (resized).jpg20211104_104549 (resized).jpg20211104_104608 (resized).jpg20211104_104608 (resized).jpg20211104_104618 (resized).jpg20211104_104618 (resized).jpg20211104_104628 (resized).jpg20211104_104628 (resized).jpg
#14 2 years ago

Vintage-Pinball

Interesting. Same mechanism and slant of the bracket. But the two springs insert directly through the activator plate holes. Original or not, both sides or not, maybe the cotter pin doesn't really matter? Thank you for providing pics!

#15 2 years ago

No problem.

When I took it apart to clean and work on the reels, etc it was certainly slanted. If you look closely, you can see a mark on the housing from the screw where it was positioned before I took it apart. I set it as it is now as the hula girl was a little more upright. As for the cotter pin, I cant say. I'll finish the machine off and test it late December or early January and see how it performs.

If you need any other images, etc, just ask as I have very easy access to the head, motor board and playfield.

1 year later
#16 1 year ago

Just joined this club with a project machine. Looking forward to getting the Hulu girl working again!

20230325_091435.jpg20230325_091435.jpg

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

ust joined this club with a.project machine.

Nice!
I have a Pleasure Isle set up, but not the Paradise.
I would think the Paradise also has a Star that can pop up for the Kick-out holes,
and if so, when you get it, it gives a Replay right, or might it give you a "Same Player
Shoots Again"?

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I would think the Paradise also has a Star that can pop up for the Kick-out holes,

M'mm not sure I was so excited to get it I forgot to take a picture of the playfield. I will have to check it out when we get it unloaded!

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

I will have to check it out when we get it unloaded!

Okay Thanks, but actually the Star won't able to be seen until the game is lit and operating.
It's on the disc that rotates when (I believe) the 50 Point Relay energizes which changes and
determines the score for the Kick-Out holes..
I thought maybe someone that had one already set up might be able to confirm..
Being mostly into Add-a-Balls, "Same Player Shoots Again" would be nice, but if
it does have the Star (like Pleasure Isle), I suspect it most likely awards Replays..

#20 1 year ago

Paradise awards an extra ball (Same Player Shoots Again) when you land in a hole with the star:
Paradise Shoots Again (resized).jpgParadise Shoots Again (resized).jpg
/Mark

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Paradise awards an extra ball (Same Player Shoots Again) when you land in a hole with the star:
[quoted image]
/Mark

I guess the only two ways of winning replays then is by high scores or match.

#22 1 year ago

Recently got my Pleasure Isle sorted out and playing pretty good. So far it feels a bit tough, which I like. Cracked 2000 once so far. It's been luring me down to the basement to try my luck. Not every new game has that appeal. Having a lot of fun with it.

PleasureIsle (resized).jpgPleasureIsle (resized).jpg
#23 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Recently got my Pleasure Isle sorted out and playing pretty good. So far it feels a bit tough, which I like. Cracked 2000 once so far. It's been luring me down to the basement to try my luck. Not every new game has that appeal. Having a lot of fun with it.
[quoted image]

Looking good Alex!!

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Recently got my Pleasure Isle sorted out and playing pretty good.

Nice looking P.I.!

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I guess the only two ways of winning replays then is by high scores or match.

If it was only by Match and High Scores was able to give "Same Player Shoots Again",
it wouldn't be that many steps back from P.I. if the Star gives a Soot Again (well for me
anyways liking aabs)..

4 months later
#26 8 months ago

hey has anybody got the art to the projection disk? need to recreate one for a game...

#27 8 months ago

You looking for the beach ball plastic? I can't remember who but some kind soul sent me a scan of one when I needed one. I recreated it in Illustrator. It's probably not perfect. In the meantime another kind soul (SilverLiningMan) gifted me the actual plastic from a Big Top parts machine.

Here is the scan and my Illustrator version if you can use them.

BeachBallFront.pdfBeachBallFront.pdfball disc (resized).jpgball disc (resized).jpg
#28 8 months ago
Quoted from AlexF:

You looking for the beach ball plastic? I can't remember who but some kind soul sent me a scan of one when I needed one. I recreated it in Illustrator. It's probably not perfect. In the meantime another kind soul (SilverLiningMan) gifted me the actual plastic from a Big Top parts machine.
Here is the scan and my Illustrator version if you can use them.
[quoted image][quoted image]

no, the under pf disk thats used to project image to the inserts...

#29 8 months ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

no, the under pf disk thats used to project image to the inserts...

Ah crap. Sorry.

#30 8 months ago

Starting a Paradise restoration/rehab and for some reason, I am missing the parts that make my hula girl dance! Who would take these out? Anyway, I need the top of the relay housing and the springs - coil is still there on mine. First image is my machine, other photos for reference.

IMG_0972 (resized).jpgIMG_0972 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_3185620_714854_relay (resized).jpgPinside_forum_3185620_714854_relay (resized).jpgPinside_forum_6582704_2620162 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_6582704_2620162 (resized).jpg
4 months later
#31 4 months ago

The Roto Holes on my GTB Paradise are not scoring consistently. Sometimes all the holes score accurately, but more frequently 1 or 2 of the holes will not register points. There is no consistent pattern with affected hole(s), hole value, or ball number. See schematic and SCM switch sequence grid below.

Roto Holes A, B, C, D switches activate Hole Relays F, G, J, Q respectively. Without bonus multiplier in effect, any Roto Hole can have a scoring value of 2 to 5 points. I thought it best to understand how the current flows through the Roto Unit stepper to score 2,3,4, or 5 points, but I'm finding that difficult. It looks like it might be associated with the timing of
closing or opening the score motor switches in the circuit (1A, 4C, 1B, 3B) but its still not clear to me what path to follow. Anyone have insight into this inconsistent scoring problem or understand how different point values are scored when the Hole Relay is activated?

DocScan (resized).jpgDocScan (resized).jpg

GTB SCM switch sequence (resized).jpgGTB SCM switch sequence (resized).jpg

#32 4 months ago

Issue described in Post #31 above is resolved. Steps taken were:

1. Inspected and cleaned SCM switches 2C, 3B, 1B, 4C, and 1A. No change in problem.
2. Inspected Relays F, G, J, and Q. Cleaned circuit switches on these relays. Ball in hole activates these relays as expected, but no change in problem.
3. Started a new game to record data for 10 hole value combinations (2,3,4,5, or Star for ABCD holes). For each combination that had at least one hole not scoring, the input wire and associated output wire of that Hole and Value pair were jumped at their connections to the Roto Unit board, then the hole switch was closed. All holes (40) scored accurately indicating a problem within the Roto Unit.
4. Partially disassembled Roto Unit to inspect and clean all rivet and finger ("shoe") contacts, and check continuity of all wires with rivet connections. Ensured alignment of disc fingers with stepper rivets. Aligned and secured frame of Roto Unit to ensure hole values were aligned with respective playfield windows.
5. Started new game to record data for 10 hole value combinations. Accurate hole values were awarded for all holes and combinations.

GTB Paradise Roto Unit Score Schematic- with labels (resized).jpgGTB Paradise Roto Unit Score Schematic- with labels (resized).jpg
#33 4 months ago
Quoted from PiscisMagnus:

I thought it best to understand how the current flows through the Roto Unit stepper to score 2,3,4, or 5 points, but I'm finding that difficult.

See: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/animated-em-schematic-diagrams#post-7912633

#34 4 months ago

Thanks Mark! This educational work of yours is quite impressive. I'll certainly look this one over.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 65.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-unofficial-gtb-paradise-pleasure-isle-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.