Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (1).jpg
download (2).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flippermatt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 8 years ago

Personally.. Barry Oursler accross the board except for maybe Junk Yard. PinBot, fire the ball off and you can have the bottom bumper rocket the ball straight accross for the left outlane drain.. Seriously.... You have no chance as a player to inflict the ball and can earn Three straight same Drains withinn 25 seconds.. How fun is that ? Same thing with Space Shuttle, 90% of the time the ball heads for the right outlane drain, which btw Barry O sized and took reference of from the gap of the Grand Canyon...

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

awww, I like Stargate a lot.

All my favorite games ironically for the reasons you listed. I like the chaotic nature of his layouts. I don't want a game to be 100% skill driven. There has got to be some chaos involved, it feels more magical when you get a good game. Besides, these designs were made to drain to make money, so they did just that.

Interesting angle of viewing gameplay.. I accept your view of seeing this.. But, personally I have a hard time handling it and it pisses me off, royaly. Oursler´s game ideas are terrific but brought down by the simply, stupid ridiculous wide outlane drains.. Playing PinBot will give me a good ballplay for every 7-8 balls.. A terrific ballplay happens every 30balls. Let´s start with a greatest ball ever which brings your score way up. The next two balls will drain for no particular reason without the player even having deserved it. As soon as the ball decides to head east or west you know there is an 80+% chance the ball will, without even touching and kissing the laneguide, just score right down the drain.. The best nudger in the world won´t help here. The same with Space Shuttle. It was saved by a last minute implement ballsave gate probably because management stepped in hours before release, realizing the return-to-play-factor would be close to zero if the game was released. We all know that didn´t happen.. Instead to reopen the gate you have to hit three droptargets, nearly impossible to hit, situated in a silly 90 degree angle from the flippers.. Let´s not forget Dracula. There are games on location with the right drain blocked off with rubber bands just to attract players even considering putting money into that machine. Thank god, being the lousy player I am there are nicer not so "evil" games out there which will let you play + 30 seconds/ball that Mr.Oursler officially has said should be the ball in play lasting time limit.. Ripleys Believe or Not, now that´s a forgiveable game...

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Why I love and respect the bot. BTW, having owned it for a few years now, I know when those drains are gonna happen, and can prevent them a good amount of the time now. It takes having a weird connection to the game, which takes about a good 1000 evil drains at least before you start to notice the pattern, it isn't quite as random as it seems, and usually happens under certain circumstances. The fast shoot out of the pop bumper is the usual culprit you can't react to fast enough to, so I just stay on my toes while it is banging around in there and get ready to nudge. Others are just the slings, which you can predict and nudge. I can get one good game every 3 or so now, where it use to be like 1 in 20 games. But it took owning it, it is one of the reasons I like the game so much, there is a lot of skill involved preventing those drains, but it still gets you 1/2 the time, like when you just get a bad fast deflect off of something. That makes me wanna come back and kick its ass.

Moral of the story for me is:
Barry´s games aren´t very nice to me.. Sometimes I hate them so much and feel like torching them. It comes back to myself still being novice.. They are evil but I keep them anyway as I will try to negotiate a way to figure out the patterns you mention. Something that has to be sunk in with the +1000 drains.. Weirdly enough 30% of my games are from Barry Oursler.. In my cave is standing - PinBot, Grand Lizard, Police Force and Hurricane. They laugh at me when I enter the arcade but I will beat their butts one day.... definition of ugly ducklings.. Talking about outlane and drains, Space Shuttle is a nightmare on the right side.. However the playfield hardly ever gets worn on the left side.. Rarely does the ball drain on the left. Jackbot is a game that I think is not looked at very much... Same evil layout but an awesome game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

5,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Monrovia, MD
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flippermatt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-ugly-ducklings-of-pinball?tu=flippermatt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.