DSC06305 (resized).JPG
DSC06298 (resized).JPG
DSC06287 (resized).JPG
DSC06309 (resized).JPG
DSC06292 (resized).JPG
DSC06289 (resized).JPG
pp000084 (resized).jpg
D1BE190D-58CA-4098-A23B-04DC22231E62.gif
There are 440 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.
#351 5 years ago
Quoted from MonsieurCS:

And I wasn't drunk.

Can you get drunk off one beer? Because if so I have good news ...

#352 5 years ago
Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

I honestly felt bad for Mike! He’s such a nice dude and he got pretty upset I think! I for sure owe the guy an apology for the mixup

I am going to have to watch the stream again watching his reaction. I bet he has a 'oh damn' look for sure. He was probably the happiest of all to find out it was a prank.

#353 5 years ago

I think the only thing that would have helped sell the 'trophy smashing' bit would have been if we could have had a better camera angle on stream to see the actual smashing happen. Instead the director just quickly cut back to the wide camera (which seemed like an 'OH SHIT WTF IS GOING ON' move) and you couldn't really see the details of what was happening. I guess we'll just need to get a handheld camera up at the stage for next year's award - increase the budget boys!

The boo'ing guy was a total classless rube and he could have easily confronted Kaneda before or after the show and settled his grievance without dragging the rest of the show down with him. Whatever message was trying to be sent failed miserably.

I think Kaneda would love to take back his behavior at the NY tournament and I'm sure this guy probably feels the same way in hindsight. Time to bury the hatchet, move on with life and get back to having fun.

#354 5 years ago

where is Homepin's TWIPY award?

#355 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

you should be proud of as well as everyone that contributes to this hobby win or loose.

I see what you did there. And I like it!

#356 5 years ago

One time I was front row for the Goo Goo Dolls and I booed em the whole show.

#357 5 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

I think the only thing that would have helped sell the 'trophy smashing' bit would have been if we could have had a better camera angle on stream to see the actual smashing happen.

Or maybe pull the real trophy out of his pocket with a smile after it was all said and done. I figured it was a prank tho - just co-workers picking on each other.

#358 5 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

where is Homepin's TWIPY award?

In Australia, waiting to be shipped to China.

#359 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

In Australia, waiting to be shipped to China.

Wrong.
Its in China.
Made a while ago, In storage.
He just has to pay for shipping with no invoice and he will get his award.

In all seriousness Homepin won all the Twerpys which is more his style.

#360 5 years ago

i Listened to the show live driving home on a pinball haul, and watched it again on twitch. You guys hit it out of the park! Thanks to everyone involved for putting in all that time and effort to recognize excellence in our hobby. My wife even said wow when I made her watch a little. Next years gonna need live music with Grammy winning artists and Supermodels walking winners to the podium to top it!

#361 5 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Wrong.
Its in China.
Made a while ago, In storage.
He just has to pay for shipping with no invoice and he will get his award.
In all seriousness Homepin won all the Twerpys which is more his style.

You almost got the joke. Since the Australian pins are in China (not really since apparently not really being made)...so lets make the award go and wait in Australia.

#362 5 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

i Listened to the show live driving home on a pinball haul, and watched it again on twitch. You guys hit it out of the park! Thanks to everyone involved for putting in all that time and effort to recognize excellence in our hobby. My wife even said wow when I made her watch a little. Next years gonna need live music with Grammy winning artists and Supermodels walking winners to the podium to top it!

Support Flipnoutpinball to be the #1 distibutor and knowing Zach you will see more then supermodels on stage! Lol. What they created on a shoe string budget was absolutely incredible. Who knows in a few years we may all need to wear suit coats and ties to visit this event. Or at least fancy denim jackets!

#363 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

One time I was front row for the Goo Goo Dolls and I booed em the whole show.

Had to downvote that because you stayed for the whole show.

#364 5 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Had to downvote that because you stayed for the whole show.

He was too drunk to get up and walk out probably.

#365 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's wild how serious you guys are taking this. I really don't think Stern needs to care about a podcast award show. They could just not show up at all, not send a rep, utterly ignore it, and maybe make one guy so mad he doesn't buy a new game for the next month before caving and getting it anyway. That would be about the extent of any repercussions.

I think you’re underestimating how deeply people who make things care how people receive them.
Everyone wants to be appreciated for the things they do.

I sat by some of the Stern winners and I can tell you they were happy and proud by their wins, as they should be!
It was exciting to me to see them take pride in recognition for their hard work.

I think Greg and Zach have done the pinball world a huge service by creating these awards and treating them with respect.
In my view they’ve taken a “podcast award show” and made a real industry benchmark out of it.

#366 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I think you’re underestimating how deeply people who make things care how people receive them.
I sat by some of the Stern winners and I can tell you they were happy and proud by their wins, as they should be!
It was exciting to me to see them take pride in recognition for their hard work.
I think Greg and Zach have done the pinball world a huge service by creating these awards and treating them with respect.
In my view they’ve taken a “podcast award show” and made a real industry benchmark out of it.

As much as a Greg and Zach do for pinball and using YouTube and Twitch to make things happen, and being big fans of theirs, the credit for coming up with these awards goes to Jeff Patterson.....the awards are named after This Week in Pinball after all!

#367 5 years ago

I think the first year people were just like “Oh, this is a cute little internet thing”. This year kinda legitimized it. The live presentation is what makes it.

#368 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

As much as a Greg and Zach do for pinball and using YouTube and Twitch to make things happen, and being big fans of theirs, the credit for coming up with these awards goes to Jeff Patterson.....the awards are named after This Week in Pinball after all!

Oops! Thanks for setting me straight. Definitely want credit where it is due to all involved.

#369 5 years ago

Thank you to every one who watched! We were truly happy with how every thing turned out. We had super small budget to work with and we all made it work. We knew we didn’t want just a seminar, it had to feel like an awards show and I feel it was achieved. With that I Have to thank all the people who volunteered to help run the show. Richard and Howard for running cameras, William Oetting for running all the videos, Joel Reeves for DJing the music as people walk up to accept, David Tiel for the awesome music that was used, Cary Hardy for helping set up, Ryan White for helping set up lights, Nicole Meny, Priscilla and Jason for getting the red carpet down, Jeff for all the work put it together and working like crazy back stage,and most importantly Zach for the countless hours and days spent on the videos! That’s what truly made the production. Also thank you to to all the presenters for taking time out of there night to help make this such a great evening as well as Marco Specialities and Flip N Out for sponsoring the show! I know there are more people so I’m sorry if I missed you! This list is not even including the TWIPY Committee Jeff formed but I’ll leave those to Jeff.
We knew things weren’t going to be perfect and went into this as a learning experience and we did just that! This show will most certainly get better and more polished! Thanks again for every one who attended and watched from home. One last note. The guy booing was most certainly a dick and really was disrespectful to the show and all the people I mentioned.

Your show was supremely well done. Video quality of the presenters was superb. Looking forward to seeing how it will be polished off for next year. You're both an invaluable asset to the community.

Thanks again for putting on a great show! The couple of bumps in the road personally didn't ruin it for me...There always has to be a couple of jackasses that pull dumb stunts. That's life, and live TV for ya!

#370 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Im sure that he was joking and trying to be funny but it didn't quite work out the way that he had planned. I don't hate him or anything for it, i just think that he was trying to be funny and failed miserably.
Franchi is a great artist and probably a great guy also, so im not going to hate on him just because he did something that turned out to not be funny like he had planned. Now if he was serious then i would not like him at all after seeing this, but im sure thats just not the case.
He will most likely win a Twipy next year for best art on the Munsters game. The guy is a brilliant artist but a terrible comedian. We have all had moments like this in life so im willing to give him a pass this time.

I have no idea who Franchi is.
In the autograph session he was talking about having been fired from his job on Friday.
I thought it was strange he was talking about it and he was acting like someone who had in fact been fired.
He signed my stuff and lo and behold I watch hem flip out on stage. I had no idea what was going on still don't.

#371 5 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

I had no idea what was going on still don't.

If only Franchi would come into this thread and post a detailed explanation.

#372 5 years ago

In the autograph session he was talking about having been fired from his job on Friday.
I thought it was strange he was talking about it and he was acting like someone who had in fact been fired.
He signed my stuff and lo and behold I watch hem flip out on stage. I had no idea what was going on still don't.

1. He's a pretty big pinball artist of late (Munsters,Beatles,BM66,GOTG). Now you know.
2. It was a joke put together by the show organizers and the artist that won the award. Franchi just didn't go off and do this on his own. If the Joke failed it was a group effort.
3. If you go back a page you'll find a long explanation by Franchi himself.
4. Hearing him talk about being fired must have made the whole thing pretty confusing/dramatic for you

#373 5 years ago

You had no idea who he was but still wanted his autograph

#374 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Damn, nothing says "you haven't made anything new in a while" more than a poster who joined Pinside in 2017 explaining how people who make things feel.

#375 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Damn, nothing says "you haven't made anything new in a while" more than a poster who joined Pinside in 2017 explaining how people who make things feel.

Time as a forum member anywhere, doesn't measure life experience, how a person sees the world, and the value of their thoughts and efforts. The "I've been here longer, so my viewpoints carry more weight" only turns any forum of discussion into a place where new people aren't welcome.

Everyone's thoughts have validity, and specifically without well informed and thoughtful new folks like zaphX I and many people wouldn't be nearly as well informed with repairs and possible issues on their Pirates tables.

#376 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I’m a maker. I care about what I build and how people use it. Screw me for respecting makers in the pinball world. I guess I should refrain from posting until it’s been 5 or 10 years?

#377 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I’m a maker. I care about what I build and how people use it. Screw me for respecting makers in the pinball world. I guess I should refrain from posting until it’s been 5 or 10 years?

I think he's referring to how he's made a bunch of very well received mods and was involved in the Alien design and artwork, which all predates you coming here and telling him how people who make stuff feel.

#378 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's wild how serious you guys are taking this. I really don't think Stern needs to care about a podcast award show. They could just not show up at all, not send a rep, utterly ignore it, and maybe make one guy so mad he doesn't buy a new game for the next month before caving and getting it anyway. That would be about the extent of any repercussions.
It's great that people get recognition, Robin deserves props for the work he puts into Pinside, but I think this forum can forget how far up our own butts we crawl on things. All this pointless arguing about which game is better, and if there are enough toys, blah blah blah. And then a new game comes out and we line up to buy it without playing it. We're killing time BSing with each other. I've done plenty myself, don't think I'm casting judgement, but I've never pretended it meant anything. Maybe we got a couple art packages improved, that's something.
Some guy booing for 2 minutes straight sounds pretty classless, but I'm not gonna pretend I don't think it's hilarious. Find out who he is, I'll buy him a beer.

Pretty sure we've all heard of Stern.

Thanks again for the great input you provided JJP on Hobbit artwork, couldn't imagine it any other way. Original artwork still makes be shiver. The community complained heavily about the original artwork and Smaug mold when it was first shown. It was great to see JJP listen and take action, if they hadn't a part of me thinks they wouldn't be around today.

pp000084 (resized).jpgpp000084 (resized).jpg

#379 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I think he's referring to how he's made a bunch of very well received mods and was involved in the Alien design and artwork, which all predates you coming here and telling him how people who make stuff feel.

I was really just speaking to the notion that the TWIPYs don’t matter and could be ignored by stern et al.

My view and observation is that they did matter a great deal to the folks who participated.

And yeah being new I had no idea what that guy has done or who he is. Respect to him for also being a maker who helps the community thrive. Alien is a piece of art.

I generally try to post in a way that spreads positive energy. Sorry that I appear to have failed.

#380 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I was really just speaking to the notion that the TWIPYs don’t matter and could be ignored by stern et al.
My view and observation is that they did matter a great deal to the folks who participated.
And yeah being new I had no idea what that guy has done or who he is. Respect to him for also being a maker who helps the community thrive. Alien is a piece of art.
I generally try to post in a way that spreads positive energy. Sorry that I appear to have failed.

I actually think he was just saying that this reminded him that he hadn't made anything in a while because you've been a member for years and you still became a member after his last pinball work. I don't think he mean't anything negative towards you at all.

#381 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

And yeah being new I had no idea what that guy has done or who he is.

It's all good man! I was poking fun at myself and the fact that I haven't done anything in a while to the point where 'newer' members don't even know who I am now. No animosity, just a little laugh and a touch of "damn, it's been too long" wistfulness. Look at my stupid post count, I used to be a lot more active here, and putting out a lot more things, even before Alien.

Everyone enjoys validation. Best compliment I get is the people who tell me they didn't want a Shadow until my art package came out. Not only does it feel good for someone to say you did good work, we all have egos, but I get extra pleasure out of spreading the enjoyment of probably my all time favorite pin.

I wasn't trying to dunk on the TWIPYs, just this chatter about Stern not taking it seriously enough. If they told me I was up for an award for "Best Alternate Translite" or something I'd be very flattered, and I still wouldn't fly out to Texas for it. Not a big deal.

Quoted from wesman:

Time as a forum member anywhere, doesn't measure life experience

See above for why experience sometimes just means you miss the joke, that's all, don't get hot and bothered, we're all just chit chatting. I don't care when you registered for Pinside, it doesn't mean anything, except that you don't get some old time references.

#382 5 years ago

A few pics...I have more, but need to pull them from my camera. I was sitting pretty far back and that light stand was in my way, but the shots came out ok.

DSC06287 (resized).JPGDSC06287 (resized).JPGDSC06289 (resized).JPGDSC06289 (resized).JPGDSC06292 (resized).JPGDSC06292 (resized).JPGDSC06298 (resized).JPGDSC06298 (resized).JPGDSC06305 (resized).JPGDSC06305 (resized).JPGDSC06309 (resized).JPGDSC06309 (resized).JPG
#383 5 years ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

You had no idea who he was but still wanted his autograph

Just went down the line getting autographs. Yep, I wanted all of the autographs. Anything wrong with that friend?

#384 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's all good man! I was poking fun at myself and the fact that I haven't done anything in a while to the point where 'newer' members don't even know who I am now. No animosity, just a little laugh and a touch of "damn, it's been too long" wistfulness. Look at my stupid post count, I used to be a lot more active here, and putting out a lot more things, even before Alien.
Everyone enjoys validation. Best compliment I get is the people who tell me they didn't want a Shadow until my art package came out. Not only does it feel good for someone to say you did good work, we all have egos, but I get extra pleasure out of spreading the enjoyment of probably my all time favorite pin.
I wasn't trying to dunk on the TWIPYs, just this chatter about Stern not taking it seriously enough. If they told me I was up for an award for "Best Alternate Translite" or something I'd be very flattered, and I still wouldn't fly out to Texas for it. Not a big deal.

See above for why experience sometimes just means you miss the joke, that's all, don't get hot and bothered, we're all just chit chatting. I don't care when you registered for Pinside, it doesn't mean anything, except that you don't get some old time references.

I guess the ultimate point here is you need to get on making new stuff so people like myself know who the hell you are.

Nice to meet you @Aurich, name's Wes. I hope to see more mods, art, and posts from you in the future kid.

#385 5 years ago

Just went down the line getting autographs. Yep, I wanted all of the autographs. Anything wrong with that friend?

It's just kind of weird to want an autograph from a person you don't know who he is or what he does. Kind of a poor man's version of our modern celebrity obsessed culture. "He's famous! For what? Who cares!"

But hey, you do you.

#386 5 years ago

Not at all. And now you know who he is

#387 5 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

It's just kind of weird to want an autograph from a person you don't know who he is or what he does. Kind of a poor man's version of our modern celebrity obsessed culture. "He's famous! For what? Who cares!"
But hey, you do you.

Na, that is actually pretty normal when there are a bunch of people in a row signing things and the line is moving along stopping at each one. Particularly in an industry where you may not know people by their appearance and are getting a show poster or something signed. It would be super awkward to decline to have him sign something while standing in front of him only to realize later who it was.

#388 5 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

A few pics...I have more, but need to pull them from my camera. I was sitting pretty far back and that light stand was in my way, but the shots came out ok. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for posting the cool pics jar

#390 5 years ago

They weren't booing K, they were saying BOO-URNS!

boourns.gifboourns.gif
#391 5 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

Na, that is actually pretty normal when there are a bunch of people in a row signing things and the line is moving along stopping at each one.

Autographs, buffet style. All you can eat! You're right, that's sadly normal. Guess I'm not much of an autograph guy.

#392 5 years ago

***bad joke deleted ****

#393 5 years ago

Few more pics... (note: clicking on them makes them look more sharp, same with the previous post I did.)
DSC06278 (resized).JPGDSC06278 (resized).JPGDSC06280 (resized).JPGDSC06280 (resized).JPGDSC06281 (resized).JPGDSC06281 (resized).JPGDSC06282 (resized).JPGDSC06282 (resized).JPGDSC06283 (resized).JPGDSC06283 (resized).JPG

#394 5 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Few more pics... (note: clicking on them makes them look more sharp, same with the previous post I did.)
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice do you care if I post a few of them?

#395 5 years ago

Love the pictures @jar155, thanks for sharing. BTW, if anyone has any pictures you took during the TWIPYs that I could use, can you please share them here or email them to me ([email protected])?

#396 5 years ago

Nice do you care if I post a few of them?

No problem.

Anything I post, anybody is free to share. It's all good. Thanks for asking though!

#397 5 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

Plus, if you declined, Franchi might have grabbed whatever people were signing and destroyed it.

What’s that supposed to mean????

#398 5 years ago
Quoted from Metaluna5:

What’s that supposed to mean????

Sorry, it was just a bad joke about the twippy bit you were in. I'll edit the post to make sure people that read this thread realize I wasn't serious. Anyway, I thought the twippy skit was funny. Love your work!

#399 5 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

Sorry, it was just a bad joke about the twippy bit you were in. I'll edit the post to make sure people that read this thread realize I wasn't serious. Anyway, I thought the twippy skit was funny. Love your work!

I’d hate for a fun joke between Jeremy and I to turn into a running joke where destroy everything. That wasn’t the intention. Let’s just leave the destruction to the Twipy skit. And thanks very much for the compliment.

#400 5 years ago

Incorrect! I was not fired, therefore I could not have been talking about such a thing. You misheard something. Not sure what, but I was not fired.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
There are 440 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-twipy-pinball-awards-a-celebration-of-the-hobby-coming-soon/page/8?hl=aukraut and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.