DSC06305 (resized).JPG
DSC06298 (resized).JPG
DSC06287 (resized).JPG
DSC06309 (resized).JPG
DSC06292 (resized).JPG
DSC06289 (resized).JPG
pp000084 (resized).jpg
D1BE190D-58CA-4098-A23B-04DC22231E62.gif

There are 440 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.
#251 5 years ago

Guy wasn't loaded and was making a point.

Just like there were other people being rowdy and loud in support of who they were supporting.

What sucks for some is... the guy has some serious dobblegangers in the hobby so mistaken identity I'm sure went on a lot today.

#252 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Embarrassing you can't come up with anything but complaining about how you think should be and can't acknowledge anything else that actually happened.
Seriously - answer what you think stern should have done to "take this seriously"
I think their staff were well prepped and handled themselves very well on stage.

My personal opinion, Maybe stern should send a big name or two to and accept awards, talk to the common man, and just make an appearance at such shows.

In the pinball public psyche, it can go a LONG way as far as goodwill, and in turn... sales.

People are more likely to buy from someone they "know".

#253 5 years ago

As editor of Pinball Magazine I would like to thank everybody who voted Pinball Magazine No. 5 as their favorite pinball publication, resulting in me winning in that category. Thank you all. I also have to thank Wayne Neyens, whose career is featured in the magazine, Gordon Hasse, Bob Herbison, John Osborne, Jon Norris, Larry Zartarian, Steve Young, Randy Peck, Michael Pupo, Antoinette Johnson, Scott Danesi, Jack Danger, and all others who contributed to the magazine. I'm humbled by the many compliments I received during TPF from people, expressing how impressed they are with the magazine and the great stories that are in there. Thank you all for saying hi
Last, but not least, compliments to Jeff, Greg, Zach, TPF technical crew and all others involved making this a great awardshow.

#254 5 years ago

It's wild how serious you guys are taking this. I really don't think Stern needs to care about a podcast award show. They could just not show up at all, not send a rep, utterly ignore it, and maybe make one guy so mad he doesn't buy a new game for the next month before caving and getting it anyway. That would be about the extent of any repercussions.

It's great that people get recognition, Robin deserves props for the work he puts into Pinside, but I think this forum can forget how far up our own butts we crawl on things. All this pointless arguing about which game is better, and if there are enough toys, blah blah blah. And then a new game comes out and we line up to buy it without playing it. We're killing time BSing with each other. I've done plenty myself, don't think I'm casting judgement, but I've never pretended it meant anything. Maybe we got a couple art packages improved, that's something.

Some guy booing for 2 minutes straight sounds pretty classless, but I'm not gonna pretend I don't think it's hilarious. Find out who he is, I'll buy him a beer.

Quoted from Beechwood:

People are more likely to buy from someone they "know".

Pretty sure we've all heard of Stern.

#255 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Embarrassing you can't come up with anything but complaining about how you think should be and can't acknowledge anything else that actually happened.
Seriously - answer what you think stern should have done to "take this seriously"
I think their staff were well prepped and handled themselves very well on stage.

So you think Stern's staff were well prepped and handled themselves very well on stage? You don't say? Well put flynnibus! Anything else you want to add that would wake me up during this brain dead conversation of you talking to yourself about how much you love stern and how they did everything right?

Oh those poor people you tortured this weekend having to listen to you talk about nothing. It's like that scene from airplane where the person is hanging b/c they couldn't fathom listening any more. Someone give them a TWIPY too!

On a more interesting note - the jerkoff who was booing should be outed and shamed for acting like a complete moron. Not surprised you're also defending that guy. Classy move.

#256 5 years ago

its not some guy, its some tourney idiot from NY who shall remain nameless..... CJ Smith you looser. This was well put together and I can't imagine how many hours this took to put together. Great job Zach and Greg and CJ you can expect a beer from Aurich, wont get one from me!

#257 5 years ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

My personal opinion, Maybe stern should send a big name or two to and accept awards, talk to the common man, and just make an appearance at such shows.

I guess you missed where I listed the large list of people that were at the show and the twipy seminar?

Maybe people are getting too big into idolizing people and forgetting there is more than one or two people at the company that make a difference?

Stern had a huge presence at the show. And like usual.. they were very approachable. Heck, at breakfast this AM one guy was talking about how he was hanging with Steve Richie in a suite till 2am.

#258 5 years ago

OMG Steve Richie drinking in a room till 2am say it isn't so!

#259 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So you think their staff were well prepped and handled themselves very well on stage?

Yes, they were classy, respectful, appreciative, on point, organized. That clearly was addressed and they handled themselves well. This is the first time anyone has tried to pull one of these shows off and frankly you didn't know what quite to expect. And right off the top, Jerry Thompson got up there and was genuine and professional.

And for the most part.. other people followed in that good example. Sans Franchi - but that was bad humor that apparently most people aren't familiar with. For those who don't know what he was mimic'ing...

Quoted from delt31:

you talking to yourself about how much you love stern and how they did everything right?

Such brainless drivel may work in your 'which fanboi is best' religion wars about vendors with others... but that kind of baseless, and frankly ignorant of reality type of crap just exposes you for what you are. Someone who just has to talk and try to label people instead of actually sticking to the points of the discussion. You clearly have no idea of who I 'love' or not.

But I see you still can't answer the question... only rant on. Do you have a suggestion of what would have made Stern's presence creditable? Gary Stern must be hanging on your super informed POV...

#260 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yes, they were classy, respectful, appreciative, on point, organized. That clearly was addressed and they handled themselves well. This is the first time anyone has tried to pull one of these shows off and frankly you didn't know what quite to expect. And right off the top, Jerry Thompson got up there and was genuine and professional.
And for the most part.. other people followed in that good example. Sans Franchi - but that was bad humor that apparently most people aren't familiar with. For those who don't know what he was mimic'ing...

Such brainless drivel may work in your 'which fanboi is best' religion wars about vendors with others... but that kind of baseless, and frankly ignorant of reality type of crap just exposes you for what you are. Someone who just has to talk and try to label people instead of actually sticking to the points of the discussion. You clearly have no idea of who I 'love' or not.
But I see you still can't answer the question... only rant on. Do you have a suggestion of what would have made Stern's presence creditable? Gary Stern must be hanging on your super informed POV...

You do a good enough job of labeling yourself.....a snoozefest who lectures others. Yawn.

I've already explained my position earlier - close your mouth and open your ears. I suggested that earlier - try it out.

I think the show was fantastic and enjoyed it throughout (minus the guy you support who was booing and being rude...classy move).

#261 5 years ago

delt31 and flynnibus just take this to PM. It’s getting old.

#262 5 years ago

So who was the jackass that was booing?

#263 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

EDIT - I can't confirm if it was him and would feel bad if it wasn't. See post below.

#264 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

post 256

#265 5 years ago

Got it. Don’t know CJ Smith. Is he on Pinside?

#266 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Got it. Don’t know CJ Smith. Is he on Pinside?

Not sure Kermit but I doubt his friends who I over heard would out his pinside name. Someone is good at sleuthing however that's his real name from what I heard.

#267 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Not sure Kermit but I doubt his friends who I over heard would out his pinside name. Someone is good at sleuthing however that's his real name from what I heard.

The good thing is that he and a Kaneda fan were initially bowing up on each other, but they worked it out and were shaking hands when I left the ceremony. Clearer heads prevailed.

As an attendee, I was highly annoyed by it all, but the direct individuals moved on. We should too.

#268 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Stern had a huge presence at the show. And like usual.. they were very approachable.

Agreed on the approachable part. Talked up a few of the Stern folks and they were great people. Very down to Earth and cool people to hang with. Really impressive folks that I wished I had more time to spend with. Respect them to the utmost.

That said, it suprised me how often they talked down the competition though. We can all have criticisms of how various teams are going about their business, but definitely felt an “us v them” vibe from the Stern folks. There’s more than enough dollars to go around. Would have preferred a bit more swagger, with appreciation of others, from the Stern peeps.

Please don’t take the above as a Stern diss, as I know it reads that way. I respect the helll out of those folks, collectively and individually. Just wish they were able to see it as more than a zero-sum game.

#269 5 years ago

For those that missed the low points...

You can watch Franchi do a Kanye at the 1hr6min mark.

The booing guy is at the 1hr30min mark.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/400246769

#270 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's wild how serious you guys are taking this. I really don't think Stern needs to care about a podcast award show. They could just not show up at all, not send a rep, utterly ignore it, and maybe make one guy so mad he doesn't buy a new game for the next month before caving and getting it anyway. That would be about the extent of any repercussions.
It's great that people get recognition, Robin deserves props for the work he puts into Pinside, but I think this forum can forget how far up our own butts we crawl on things. All this pointless arguing about which game is better, and if there are enough toys, blah blah blah. And then a new game comes out and we line up to buy it without playing it. We're killing time BSing with each other. I've done plenty myself, don't think I'm casting judgement, but I've never pretended it meant anything. Maybe we got a couple art packages improved, that's something.
Some guy booing for 2 minutes straight sounds pretty classless, but I'm not gonna pretend I don't think it's hilarious. Find out who he is, I'll buy him a beer.

Pretty sure we've all heard of Stern.

I don't entirely disagree with you, and generally went into watching the Twipy awards not expecting much, but after seeing the work Zach and co. put into the presentation, my interest was piqued (thought I'd just watch a few minutes, but ended up watching the entire event--even my girlfriend loved it).

I had a good view of Jack (JJP) from my seat, and every time anyone from JJP went up to receive an award, he patted each one on the back with a big, genuine smile. That sealed it for me when it came to realizing that the Twipy awards have become the real deal. So while I doubt the Twipy awards have much real impact at this point, it would be odd to pan them as meaningless.

I assure you, sitting not far ahead of the guy booing was not hilarious in the slightest, and clearly most in the seminar room were quite furious over it (sure, a bit humorous the first couple times, but it went well beyond that and while Chris was speaking). Last thing that guy needed was another beer. You win no points from me suggesting you promote such jackass behavior at TPF.

#271 5 years ago

Also John Rhys-Davies was quite cool at the 23min mark.

#272 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Also John Rhys-Davies was quite cool at the 23min mark.

That was amazing and really got everyone excited. Especially when he did a Jackpot 1 callout.

#273 5 years ago

I've watched this clip of Franchi losing it on-stage so many times... https://clips.twitch.tv/MoldyFaintWoodpeckerFailFish . The show was super classy with the exception of Franchi, the necropheliac joke, and the booing. Also, Kaneda handled the crazy crowd reactions really well all things considered.

#274 5 years ago
Quoted from dontpanicflip:

I've watched this clip of Franchi losing it on-stage so many times... https://clips.twitch.tv/MoldyFaintWoodpeckerFailFish . The show was super classy with the exception of Franchi, the necropheliac joke, and the booing. Also, Kaneda handled the crazy crowd reactions really well all things considered.

wow, never was a fan of Franchi's behaviour on various previous podcasts, but man he is a sore loser

Zombi Yeti is a much better person and artist, hats off to you ZY

#275 5 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

wow, never was a fan of Franchi's behaviour on various previous podcasts, but man he is a sore loser

Im sure that he was joking and trying to be funny but it didn't quite work out the way that he had planned. I don't hate him or anything for it, i just think that he was trying to be funny and failed miserably.

Franchi is a great artist and probably a great guy also, so im not going to hate on him just because he did something that turned out to not be funny like he had planned. Now if he was serious then i would not like him at all after seeing this, but im sure thats just not the case.

He will most likely win a Twipy next year for best art on the Munsters game. The guy is a brilliant artist but a terrible comedian. We have all had moments like this in life so im willing to give him a pass this time.

#276 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The guy is a brilliant artist but a terrible comedian. We have all had moments like this in life so im willing to give him a pass this time.

Srsly? I saw that coming from Miles away. - Typed that "I HATE YOU!!!" in the chat before he yelled it.

#277 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

And what if he’s outed, all of pinside bands together to never deal with him again?

Kaneda is a highly abrasive individual who somehow manages to bring all the boys to the yard...except for this heckler and a handful of others who know the whole story.

#278 5 years ago

C'mon Franchi's joke was a classic. I bet ZY was cracking up if he was watching, totally his kind of humour.

#279 5 years ago

Kaneda!! Really?? He’s such a massive dick! Sadly the legion of fan bois were happy to throw their support behind him... I did like his speech though. I’ve tried listening to him a few times but but it’s just unbearable.

Slam Tilt, Pinball Profile and Head to Head in no particular order are miles ahead of Kaneda.

#280 5 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Kaneda!! Really?? He’s such a massive dick! Sadly the legion of fan bois were happy to throw their support behind him... I did like his speech though. I’ve tried listening to him a few times but but it’s just unbearable.
Slam Tilt, Pinball Profile and Head to Head in no particular order are miles ahead of Kaneda.

You are allowed to dislike him but be classy and keep inside information about other peoples genitals to yourself please.

#281 5 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

There's times where Kaneda has been rude and obnoxious and that is not cool and has no place. He has apologized for some incidents and seemed sincere about it. Not excusing the behavior and I hope theres a trend of respect from him. I thought it was nice how he complimented other pinball podcasts at the TWIPYs and said that the guy booing is his number 1 fan lol.

I do like a more critical take at times in pinball. Some pinball podcasts seem to only agree with manufacturers, compliment them and never offer a critical point of view. That gets dull.

#282 5 years ago

Epic job on the twipies - it was entertaining and a great laugh! Hope it’s on at TPF next year!

#283 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

C'mon Franchi's joke was a classic. I bet ZY was cracking up if he was watching, totally his kind of humour.

Yeah, I don’t really understand the sour reaction he’s getting here. Watched the stream, it was clearly a joke, and you can hear the audience laughing too. Seems like most people got it. My take was the hosts got it too and were playing along.

#284 5 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

LMAO! You can’t possibly think Franchi was serious, that was obviously staged.

#285 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

LMAO! You can’t possibly think Franchi was serious, that was obviously staged.

I watched the stream and I got the joke. But, having said that you do have to know your audience. Looking out at the sea of older white guys, it would be clear a meme style joke would float right over some people.

#286 5 years ago

Franchi’s stunt wasn’t needed and wasn’t funny, it was just bizarre.

The booing was silly and also not needed.

#287 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There's times where Kaneda has been rude and obnoxious and that is not cool and has no place. He has apologized for some incidents and seemed sincere about it. Not excusing the behavior and I hope theres a trend of respect from him. I thought it was nice how he complimented other pinball podcasts at the TWIPYs and said that the guy booing is his number 1 fan lol.
I do like a more critical take at times in pinball. Some pinball podcasts seem to only agree with manufacturers, compliment them and never offer a critical point of view. That gets dull.

Like the time he got drunk at last year’s NYCPC, disrupting players and throwing a drink in a Stern employee’s face?

#288 5 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

Like the time he got drunk at last year’s NYCPC, disrupting players and throwing a drink in a Stern employee’s face?

And you’ve never been drunk and mate a fool of yourself?!

#289 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

In my 20s at a bar? Yes
In my 40s at a tournament or anywhere else? No

#290 5 years ago

Very enjoyable show - thanks to all that helped put it together.

Was surprised Houdini did not win best theme integration, despite how it plays - thought they did a nice job integrating the theme into the pin.

#291 5 years ago

Thank you to every one who watched! We were truly happy with how every thing turned out. We had super small budget to work with and we all made it work. We knew we didn’t want just a seminar, it had to feel like an awards show and I feel it was achieved. With that I Have to thank all the people who volunteered to help run the show. Richard and Howard for running cameras, William Oetting for running all the videos, Joel Reeves for DJing the music as people walk up to accept, David Tiel for the awesome music that was used, Cary Hardy for helping set up, Ryan White for helping set up lights, Nicole Meny, Priscilla and Jason for getting the red carpet down, Jeff for all the work put it together and working like crazy back stage,and most importantly Zach for the countless hours and days spent on the videos! That’s what truly made the production. Also thank you to to all the presenters for taking time out of there night to help make this such a great evening as well as Marco Specialities and Flip N Out for sponsoring the show! I know there are more people so I’m sorry if I missed you! This list is not even including the TWIPY Committee Jeff formed but I’ll leave those to Jeff.
We knew things weren’t going to be perfect and went into this as a learning experience and we did just that! This show will most certainly get better and more polished! Thanks again for every one who attended and watched from home. One last note. The guy booing was most certainly a dick and really was disrespectful to the show and all the people I mentioned.

#292 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

No I have not. I'd assume that's a normal thing for a decent human adult, to not get drunk and make a fool of yourself.

#293 5 years ago
Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

Thank you to every one who watched! We were truly happy with how every thing turned out. We had super small budget to work with and we all made it work. We knew we didn’t want just a seminar, it had to feel like an awards show and I feel it was achieved. With that I Have to thank all the people who volunteered to help run the show. Richard and Howard for running cameras, William Oetting for running all the videos, Joel Reeves for DJing the music as people walk up to accept, David Tiel for the awesome music that was used, Cary Hardy for helping set up, Ryan White for helping set up lights, Nicole Meny, Priscilla and Jason for getting the red carpet down, Jeff for all the work put it together and working like crazy back stage,and most importantly Zach for the countless hours and days spent on the videos! That’s what truly made the production. Also thank you to to all the presenters for taking time out of there night to help make this such a great evening as well as Marco Specialities and Flip N Out for sponsoring the show! I know there are more people so I’m sorry if I missed you! This list is not even including the TWIPY Committee Jeff formed but I’ll leave those to Jeff.
We knew things weren’t going to be perfect and went into this as a learning experience and we did just that! This show will most certainly get better and more polished! Thanks again for every one who attended and watched from home. One last note. The guy booing was most certainly a dick and really was disrespectful to the show and all the people I mentioned.

You guys killed it! Big kudos to all involved.

#294 5 years ago

I think it was awesome that they got John Rhys-Davies to present an award and do a few callouts from LOTR. Huge surprise for the audience, and was one of the best moments of the night. He seemed bewildered but also really amused that a room full of pinball fans would get such a kick out of him saying "Jackpot ONE!"

#295 5 years ago
Quoted from speederice:

I think it was awesome that they got John Rhys-Davies to present an award and do a few callouts from LOTR. Huge surprise for the audience, and was one of the best moments of the night. He seemed bewildered but also really amused that a room full of pinball fans would get such a kick out of him saying "Jackpot ONE!"

Very much so and I think it really made him feel good to have a complete standing ovation from a room full of people spilling out the back doors! We thought he and Butch both were long shots but Ed and Jeff made it happen! Made my night for sure

#296 5 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

In my 20s at a bar? Yes
In my 40s at a tournament or anywhere else? No

What about when your having a good time and some smelly nerd is shouting “Yelow card!” In your face.

#297 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Franchi’s stunt wasn’t needed and wasn’t funny, it was just bizarre.
The booing was silly and also not needed.

That also applies for humanity itself, so?

#298 5 years ago

Nobody considering the possibility that the booing guy was a plant? With the whole confrontation afterwords being planned too? Seems like a Kaneda thing to do.

#299 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Nobody considering the possibility that the booing guy was a plant? With the whole confrontation afterwords being planned too? Seems like a Kaneda thing to do.

72E99895-F9B2-441F-91F6-CEC82389A94B (resized).jpeg72E99895-F9B2-441F-91F6-CEC82389A94B (resized).jpeg
#300 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Oh my...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz
Decals
$ 64.99
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball
Decorations
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
€ 68.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts
Shooter rods
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.
Plastics
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions
Other
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
There are 440 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-twipy-pinball-awards-a-celebration-of-the-hobby-coming-soon/page/6?hl=cjchand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.