DSC06305 (resized).JPG
DSC06298 (resized).JPG
DSC06287 (resized).JPG
DSC06309 (resized).JPG
DSC06292 (resized).JPG
DSC06289 (resized).JPG
pp000084 (resized).jpg
D1BE190D-58CA-4098-A23B-04DC22231E62.gif

There are 440 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.
#201 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

He was showing that exact same body language and attitude once before.
When the investor pulled the plug on chest and 3ring setup and Eric had to make the announcement alone while Jack was on business travels in Australia.
They threw him under the bus.
And now history repeats, in a sense, but this time in public at one of the biggest events and none at JJP were seemingly able to reel him in.
On the one hand I love that he 'cannot be bought' and that he is sooo full of passion for what he does, on the other hand I want him to stay at JJP and am concerned.
Hence another thing is true as well. Most billionaires don't put up with BS, either.
Btw, POTCCE owner here, I love his work, want him to stay and cannot wait for his GNR.

Well, remeber what he said when getting the "toys" award.

About (from memory): "I really (?) tried to throw everything in there I could."

That actually was a bit sad, poor guy.

#202 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

He was showing that exact same body language and attitude once before.
When the investor pulled the plug on chest and 3ring setup and Eric had to make the announcement alone while Jack was on business travels in Australia.
They threw him under the bus.
And now history repeats, in a sense, but this time in public at one of the biggest events and none at JJP were seemingly able to reel him in.
On the one hand I love that he 'cannot be bought' and that he is sooo full of passion for what he does, on the other hand I want him to stay at JJP and am concerned.
Hence another thing is true as well. Most billionaires don't put up with BS, either.
Btw, POTCCE owner here, I love his work, want him to stay and cannot wait for his GNR.

Is this guy somehow supposed to be impervious to business decisions? Pinball designers have had ideas, mechs, etc yanked from games for decades. It’s what happens because manufacturing is guided by budget and sound mechanical design. JJP would be foolish to depart from making something that is cost effective and ultimately reliable.

Then there’s the issue of the theme being crippled by license restrictions. Although, I have a hard time believing that full license access would change things much. POTC has been a decent franchise, but most of the movies really aren’t all that great. Certainly not classics that drive of people are dying to re-live on a daily basis.

#203 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Is this guy somehow supposed to be impervious to business decisions?

Supposedly he is human.

#204 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Who goes to the shows has ALWAYS been shaped by the work schedule going on. They have a job to do.

Its not absurd to think their 'jobs' would include attending major industry trade shows and representing their products/companies.

#205 5 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

My Buddies Zach & Greg KILLED it last night! Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication to the pinball community. Production value was excellent. Your performance was spot on. Congratulations!!

Could not agree more. Greg and Zach’s enthusiasm and production effort that they put into this event was fantastic.

I think music pins should be disqualified from ‘best music pin’ though....and I still think JJPOTC was GOTY.

EDIT: Next year....how about a singing and dance number to open the show? Haha

AD595DC1-DB8D-45D1-B523-66B7A3EBF404 (resized).pngAD595DC1-DB8D-45D1-B523-66B7A3EBF404 (resized).png
#206 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

I love his work, want him to stay and cannot wait for his GNR.

This! I’d love to see GnR under Eric and JJP. Off-setting attitude or not, the guy is super talented!

#207 5 years ago

Zach and Greg did an amazing job. Congrats to everyone. Iron Maiden is the best pin stern has put out in a long time and a well deserved win!

Congrats to Kaneda. Best podcast out there right now. Keep it up!

#208 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Is this guy somehow supposed to be impervious to business decisions? Pinball designers have had ideas, mechs, etc yanked from games for decades. It’s what happens because manufacturing is guided by budget and sound mechanical design. JJP would be foolish to depart from making something that is cost effective and ultimately reliable.
Then there’s the issue of the theme being crippled by license restrictions. Although, I have a hard time believing that full license access would change things much. POTC has been a decent franchise, but most of the movies really aren’t all that great. Certainly not classics that drive of people are dying to re-live on a daily basis.

Lol for years we have heard had Stern keeps the designers on a tight budget and how Jack says do whatever you like. Does this mean that what has always been said about JJP is false

#209 5 years ago

If you know Eric then you know he is a mellow, low-key guy. People are over thinking it, IMHO.

He's a good dude with a bright future as a pinball designer.

Terry.

#210 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Well, remeber what he said when getting the "toys" award.
About (from memory): "I really (?) tried to throw everything in there I could."
That actually was a bit sad, poor guy.

Yes, it had an implied "tried to throw everything in there I could (get away with)" in there.

I noticed the same thing as you did.

#211 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

If you know Eric then you know he is a mellow, low-key guy. People are over thinking it, IMHO.
He's a good dude with a bright future as a pinball designer.
Terry.

He certainly ‘Lights-up’ when playing POTC... The dead_flip JJP factory stream of POTC on Valentine’s Day 2019, was a very enthusiastic Eric!
now pack and ship my PL order on monday Terry!

#212 5 years ago

Biggest robbery of the night might have been Deadpool winning for 'best callouts' when up against Pirates and Iron Maiden. What a tragedy. I was irritated with Deadpool's callouts after a handful of games.

"Sabertooth brush your saberteeth" - A group of 10 year olds has wittier banter.

#213 5 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

... glad to see Iron Maiden win so much. It truly was the game of the year ...

I think POTC truly deserved the GOTY award more than IMDN. Of course that's just my opinion, but I have played both games a lot which I suspect is more than many IMDN voters can honestly say as there are just so many more Maidens out in the real world than Pirates.

It was a great show and the TWIPYs are all in fun of course. Once sufficient time has passed though and pinheads look back on past winners vs losers with a more objective perspective, I think there will be more than a few folks scratching their heads and asking themselves "What were they thinking?!"

#214 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I think POTC truly deserved the GOTY award more than IMDN. Of course that's just my opinion, but I have played both games a lot which I suspect is more than many IMDN voters can honestly say as there are just so many more Maidens out in the real world than Pirates.
It was a great show and the TWIPYs are all in fun of course. Once sufficient time has passed though and pinheads look back on past winners vs losers with a more objective perspective, I think there will be more than a few folks scratching their heads and asking themselves "What were they thinking?!"

I could see either winning it and be happy. Keith’s design is so fresh, I can see why it won. The theme isnt recycled too. Pirates is packed, crazy deep and fun and could have easily won.

#215 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

i've put in hundreds of games on both and Iron Maiden is far and away a better game that Pirates in my opinion. Definitely not a better world under glass though.

Maiden is just so much more of a complete package than Pirates (not even including the myriad tech issues that pirates owners should NOT have to be dealing with for $9,000+).

#216 5 years ago

i've put in hundreds of games on both and Iron Maiden is far and away a better game that Pirates in my opinion. Definitely not a better world under glass though.
Maiden is just so much more of a complete package than Pirates (not even including the myriad tech issues that pirates owners should NOT have to be dealing with for $9,000+).

Ugh, think the complete opposite and find Iron Maiden to be a bit dull. Not much if anything in regards to toys, pass, even Dead Pool pro at least has a bobble head toy... Some very cheesy animations too that are pulled from a cell phone game. Also, latest build Pirates have been very reliable.

#217 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Ugh, think the complete opposite and find Iron Maiden to be a bit dull. Not much if anything into regards to toys, pass, even Dead Pool pro at least has a bobble head toy... Some very cheesy animations too that are pulled from a cell phone game. Latest build Pirates have been very reliable.

for me i don't even notice the lack of toys in Maiden - thats how good of a layout and design it is. plus the code and rules are just SO refined and deep.

Pirates has the toys for sure but I feel like the modes/chapters are a HUGE swing-and-a-miss for them. literally no variation whatsoever. there is some 'multiball fatigue' in the game too but that might just be a personal issue with how i enjoy games.

#218 5 years ago

for me i don't even notice the lack of toys in Maiden - thats how good of a layout and design it is. plus the code and rules are just SO refined and deep.
Pirates has the toys for sure but I feel like the modes/chapters are a HUGE swing-and-a-miss for them. literally no variation whatsoever. there is some 'multiball fatigue' in the game too but that might just be a personal issue with how i enjoy games.

Theres a ton of variation with the way Pirates plays due to the 22 character abilities (plus disadvantage) , pirate lane awards, and map awards. Those 3 items affect heavily how modes are played. All 5 movie mulitballs have different goals and theres also 5 standalone objective based wizard modes and a super wizard mode coming. Its depth is unmatched in my opinion.

Much of Iron Maidens rules feel dull to me with a good number of modes requiring the player to just keep hitting the same ramps and orbit again and again. Like to play it on location but just not a type of game I would have at home. Glad a lot of people enjoy it.

#219 5 years ago

I have both games and both are great. One day I like to play PotC more than IM. The next day I can‘t stop playing IM. Both are Game of the year for me and both are top 10 games.

#220 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Much of Iron Maidens rules feel dull to me with all of the modes just hitting the same ramps and orbit again and again.

i could argue that Pirates feels the same. every chapter re-uses some variation of the character shots and there is absolutely no order or progression contained in them - a story isn't being told. just 'shoot X amount of arrows.'

in Maiden i'll agree its mostly ramps and orbits. but you can't omit that certain modes utilize the captive ball, the drop targets and the ramp shot - which is a heck of a lot more than Pirates. its actually sad how many targets on the playfield aren't used in the chapters in Pirates. what a waste of potential.

the multiballs are certainly varied but Maiden has several multiballs too that have varying objectives and frankly some of them are much harder to get to than anything in Pirates so some players might not even realize they exist.

map awards are just mystery awards. nothing too exciting or revolutionary there.

PIRATE lane awards are cool but don't really change how the game is played that much. most are just standard bonuses that would be given via a mystery award. i fail to see how a PIRATE lane award would really change how you approach a mode/chapter.

i fully agree that the characters are definitely a unique aspect to Pirates and I'm hoping we'll see more of that in future games.

but a single unique feature doth not maketh a Game Of The Year for this poster.

on the upside... this is the best part of pinball. lots of different and varied games that suit all sorts of tastes.

#221 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Best mod pinstadium again? Really?

I thought it was odd also being it was for 2018. I think the category itself is good. Maybe next year the committy needs to narrow it to 10 to be voted on.

#222 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I thought it was odd also being it was for 2018. I think the category itself is good. Maybe next year the committy needs to narrow it to 10 to be voted on.

Yep. Pretty easy to find 10 of the mods that were developed during the year and have people vote on them. So for Pinstadium, his entry would specifically be the Orion’s Belt.

Or if you want to go broad, just have the top 10 mod makers and have people vote on them. So not best mod, but best mod maker.

#223 5 years ago

Can't do that, or Cliffy wins every year. Gotta make it fair.
;-P
-mof

#224 5 years ago

Is there a list of winners somewhere?

#225 5 years ago

Hi all, JP 4 de Win here.
I just want to thank Zach and Greg for the great show! It was an honor to pick up this award in person. If only the nerves had not acted up
Thanks all for voting for me twice in a row. It means a lot. I create my work with the love for pinball for every pinhead out there.
Waiting on my plane to leave for Amsterdam. Had a great time at TPF! Looking forward to my next visit to the US.

JP

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from TheDude75:

I just want to thank Zach and Greg for the great show! It was an honor to pick up this award in person. If only the nerves had not acted up
Thanks all for voting for me twice in a row. It means a lot. I create my work with the love for pinball for every pinhead out there.
Waiting on my plane to leave for Amsterdam. Had a great time at TPF! Looking forward to my next visit to the US.
JP

congrats on the award. i definitely think your work was the best of the year in your category.

#227 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Who goes to the shows has ALWAYS been shaped by the work schedule going on. They have a job to do.
You seriously think everyone mentioned by a podcasters self driven thing in just its second year should change their real world priorities to bend to it?
You are in fantasy land as usual. Instead of making up stuff to fill in what you don't know, just accept you don't know and maybe try to get informed

Stern should have shown like they give a damn about these awards. You don't think jjp is busy? Credit to them for going and representing along with the others like AP and Spooky.

Oh flynnibus - you're such a bore that even typing this feels like too much time being spent on you but go ahead and continue bending over and taking it from Gary. Keep on making excuses for them. You would be better off though closing your mouth and listening more. You might learn a thing or two.

#228 5 years ago
Quoted from TheDude75:

JP

You were fine. Most of us know what it's like to not want to speak in front of a crowd. What came across is that you appreciated the award.

#229 5 years ago

Big shout out to Zach and Greg for hosting a fun event. Even bigger shout out to Jeff for TWIP and all the work he put into this as well. And finally, thanks to everyone who voted for Pinside. I’m super happy with the award and recognition

DA4B4DAF-091F-46C0-86A8-DB44DC3C2F65 (resized).jpegDA4B4DAF-091F-46C0-86A8-DB44DC3C2F65 (resized).jpeg

Goodbye Dallas! On my way to Seattle, WA now. See you at .... shorty’s?

#230 5 years ago

Should music pins be included in the best music category is a good question. Remember there was IM, ACNC and Primus all competing with original music pins. If Maiden included a bunch of newer and less popular songs for the purpose of marketing or licensing, the pin would have been much less enjoyable, so recognition should be given for including the music that pinball fans want (and voted for).

#231 5 years ago

What a great show.. Congratulations to all the TWIPY winners. Feels good to be home.

Hello NYC!!!

5053F7B3-D042-4750-960E-385A09D41475 (resized).jpeg5053F7B3-D042-4750-960E-385A09D41475 (resized).jpeg
#232 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

What if it were "best original music" ?

I think the category was “Best Music and Sound Effects”. There is no question that IMDN’s sound design is simply stunning. Most impressive sound package In a new game in years.

Overall this was well done, watched the stream. Certainly a few cringe-worthy moments but that is part of pinball’s charm.

I think they should change best mod to best new mod.

And add a side category for the main game awards “critic’s choice” and the others “player’s choice”. This would give low-run games a better chance at being recognized vs having to grab the awareness of the masses to be included. For example, no way that ACNC shouldn’t have been nominated (and possibly won) in the best artwork and best animations catgeories. Critic’s choice would be a small group of qualifies people who obviously must have seen/played every nominated game.

Also maybe expand to 4 finalists in some categories to give more games exposure.

All in good fun, hopefully more designers etc. can be in attendence next time.

#233 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Because life has consequences... no matter how many people click on your links.
If it came out tommorrow that he was a child molester.... people would turn on him in a heart beat. But instead people turn a blind eye to his atrocious behavior that was hateful and destructive because he he's a shock jock they enjoy. It's pretty sad actually and the state of our world.

Kenada, a child molester? Not likely.

SmartAss, yes.

Diddling the kiddies? Nah....Never believe it.

Anyway. Congrats Chris for being the jackass that I love to listen to each week.

#234 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Should music pins be included in the best music category is a good question. Remember there was IM, ACNC and Primus all competing with original music pins. If Maiden included a bunch of newer and less popular songs for the purpose of marketing or licensing, the pin would have been much less enjoyable, so recognition should be given for including the music that pinball fans want (and voted for).

A "best original music" category would be great for music that is created specifically for a pinball machine versus a licensed tracks.

#235 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Stern should have shown like they give a damn about these awards. You don't think jjp is busy? Credit to them for going and representing along with the others like AP and Spooky

This coming from the guy who watched it online... verse the people that were actually there and saw it. I was sitting right behind the biggest name in pinball (who works for stern) and was chatting with Jon borg walking in the door... and the head artist and sound designers were there... Dwight was there...as well as their primary show representative. What the hell did you want? Butt hurt that Elwin wasn't there?

30 pins in Marcos booth trumps not having Elwin there to pickup a pointless fan vote contest award.

#236 5 years ago

For those who were there live, did Christopher Franchi’s performance come across as humorous? On the stream, it came across... badly. Not st all in jest. Whatever was stomped on was out of frame, and the audience went quiet as far as the microphone was concerned.

#237 5 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

For those who were there live, did Christopher Franchi’s performance come across as humorous? On the stream, it came across... badly. Not st all in jest. Whatever was stomped on was out of frame, and the audience went quiet as far as the microphone was concerned.

He smashed Zombie Yetis Twipy award.

Then he picked it up and tossed it.

Strange moment live.

#238 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Strange moment live.

He smashed it right after fumbling with it in his backpocket... *hint* *hint*

#239 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

He smashed it right after fumbling with it in his backpocket... *hint* *hint*

Magic. Wink Wink.

#240 5 years ago
Quoted from TheDude75:

If only the nerves had not acted up

Dude, your speech was heartfelt and perfect.

#241 5 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

It came off very weird and broke the mood of the show, which was great, but I’m sure it was an inside thing the crowd didnt understand.

Overall the event was fantastic and Everyone associated should be proud of the work they did because it showed. The chemistry and public speaking charisma by Zach and Greg was top notch.

Only downer was that a single person had to try and ruin the event for a lot of people because they are entitled enough to not care about being rude to hundreds of other people enjoying a show. Two boos may have been funny but two minutes was extremely disrespectful to Zach, Greg, And Jeff.

#242 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

If it came out tommorrow that he was a child molester.... people would turn on him in a heart beat.

Stupidest thing I've EVER heard on Pinside!

#243 5 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Big shout out to Zach and Greg for hosting a fun event. Even bigger shout out to Jeff for TWIP and all the work he put into this as well. And finally, thanks to everyone who voted for Pinside. I’m super happy with the award and recognition

Congrats on winning the "best website" Twippy, you deserve it for this site. I can't understand why people criticize this website for what (some) people write on it. This is the best forum I have ever used and is integrated so well with the rest of the features on Pinside.

#244 5 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

See VFW Pinball May, 2017 tournament trophy presentation.

#245 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Strange moment live.

I saw it in person and like that sort of humor. Only thing strange about it for me was the general audience reaction, but I saw it coming the instant he got on stage and thought it was great (just think some didn't realize it was a joke).

The booing over Kaneda was the only moment that soured the event. Was a surprise that nobody put a stop to such childish behavior (I expected some booing, but not the mindless, incessant racket that low-life was making). I'm not sure who the guy was, but I'll certainly recognize his face if I see him again. I'm aware Chris isn't always an angel, but that guy dampened and disrespected the entire event, not just Kaneda.

#246 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Congrats on winning the "best website" Twippy, you deserve it for this site. I can't understand why people criticize this website for what (some) people write on it. This is the best forum I have ever used and is integrated so well with the rest of the features on Pinside.

This x 15456464 ^^^

#247 5 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

The booing over Kaneda was the only moment that soured the event. Was a surprise that nobody put a stop to such childish behavior (I expected some booing, but not the mindless, incessant racket that low-life was making). I'm not sure who the guy was, but I'll certainly recognize his face if I see him again. I'm aware Chris isn't always an angel, but that guy dampened and disrespected the entire event, not just Kaneda.

So, who was the d-bag booing? Certainly Pinsiders know who it was and need to out the guy.

#248 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

This coming from the guy who watched it online... verse the people that were actually there and saw it. I was sitting right behind the biggest name in pinball (who works for stern) and was chatting with Jon borg walking in the door... and the head artist and sound designers were there... Dwight was there...as well as their primary show representative. What the hell did you want? Butt hurt that Elwin wasn't there?
30 pins in Marcos booth trumps not having Elwin there to pickup a pointless fan vote contest award.

Fitting you would use the word butt hurt. Says everything about you. Embarrassing.

Who else had to suffer through a conversation with you? I'm curious bc they're the real heros of that show. Poor people had to listen to you drone on and on. Wake me up when you're done.

#249 5 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

So, who was the d-bag booing? Certainly Pinsiders know who it was and need to out the guy.

Guy was probably loaded. No point obsessing over it and making all the discussion about that. Unfortunate but some people shouldn’t drink.

#250 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Fitting you would use the word butt hurt. Says everything about you.

Embarrassing you can't come up with anything but complaining about how you think should be and can't acknowledge anything else that actually happened.

Seriously - answer what you think stern should have done to "take this seriously"

I think their staff were well prepped and handled themselves very well on stage.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball
Decals
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball
Decorations
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 37.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus
Sound/Speakers
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 24.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.
Plastics
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cheko's Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe
Cabinet parts
6,350 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Mead, CO
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 440 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-twipy-pinball-awards-a-celebration-of-the-hobby-coming-soon/page/5?hl=looking4firstpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.