DSC06305 (resized).JPG
DSC06298 (resized).JPG
DSC06287 (resized).JPG
DSC06309 (resized).JPG
DSC06292 (resized).JPG
DSC06289 (resized).JPG
pp000084 (resized).jpg
D1BE190D-58CA-4098-A23B-04DC22231E62.gif

There are 440 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.
#151 5 years ago

it did feel like it was DP vs IMDN vs POTC for every category....assuming they removed the other options since they didn't get enough votes? That's understandable but it made it seem like only 3 games were ever in contention and they were always the same/

I really enjoyed it though especially considering the grassroots effort around it. great job

Stern really "showed up" btw - this guy Mike seems to be their representation for Texas....not a good look for them as it seems as if they don't care which they prob dont

Glad to see Kaneda win the podcast too. Well deserved.

#152 5 years ago

My notes: (I did not check them for accuracy)

best home brew game:
nightmare before christmas

best callouts:
DP

best tournament:
pinburgh

best toys and gimmicks:
Pirates

best pinball mod:
pinstadium lights

best theme in pinball:
DP

best arcade:
logan arcade

favorite festival:
TPF !

best light show:
Pirates

best pinball publication:
pinball magazine

best pinball website:
pinside

best theme integration:
Pirates

best streamer:
danger

best artwork:
IM

best youtube channel:
sdtm

best rules:
IM

rookie of the year:
elwin

best podcast:
kaneda

best playfield and layout:
IM

game of the year:
IM

#153 5 years ago

rookie of the year was
Elwin

#154 5 years ago

WOOT WOOT. Up the Irons!!!
Oh well... Wherever... Wherever you are. Iron Maiden's gonna get ya. No matter how far.
See the blood flow. Watching it shed, up above my head.
Iron Maiden wants you for DEAD!!!!

#155 5 years ago

Party Pooper of the year - Eric, unfortunately

#156 5 years ago

Just like the top-400 rankings, I presume exposure is the #1 factor to getting votes...

If very few people got to play ACNC (and others), I presume that's why the same 3 were top-3 in every category...

I would have thought ACNC would have contended for animations and programming (and "cabinet art" if it were an isolated category)

edit: (actually, houdini was top-3 for toys)

-mof

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

it did feel like it was DP vs IMDN vs POTC for every category....assuming they removed the other options since they didn't get enough votes? That's understandable but it made it seem like only 3 games were ever in contention and they were always the same/

You dpnt need to assume, its like they said at the beginning they show the 3 contestants with the most votes. Like last year.And everyone that voted know all games were in.

#158 5 years ago

I liked the show, meny thanks for zach.

Only thing i'd change:
I'd disqualify music pins for 'best music'.

#159 5 years ago

Lunch time here down under on a Sunday 24th March .

Just got home from a short shift at work work and fluked apon LIVE the 2019 Twipy Twitch stream.
Kicked back with a few beers and enjoyed the show.

The show was great ! my bird got excited for Pirates win in the integration category !

Being an Aussie patriot Head 2 Head deserved the win for best podcast, the content on H2H is reliable, fun and entertaining .

Nice work JD for stream champion !

Thank you Zach and Greg for your phenomenal effort to bring us the 2019 Twipy's ,
well done all your hard work and dedication is greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to 2020 and if you could consider bringing the awards closer to the start of the year would be awesome.

Iron Maiden for Game of the Year ! well deserved team Maiden !

Enjoy TPF all, Have fun stay safe.

JJ the Cockatiel enjoying the Twipy's

#160 5 years ago

What if it were "best original music" ?

#161 5 years ago

Question: Is it possible to like a podcast but dislike the podcaster?

When Kaneda was on Pinside, I was one of his most vocal critics. Everything from Fix-It-Felixgate to him getting drunk and throwing his money around rubbed me the wrong way. More negative points for being JPop's PR guy, referring to himself in the third person, his well documented drink throwing episode, etc. Dude was given more chances than most to adhere to Pinside's rules and couldn't help himself.

Having said that, his is pretty much the only podcast I listen to. I take what he says with a huge grain of salt, but I like the fact that he's given up on getting any major pinball guests and just says what he thinks. I get bored with other podcasts "Everything is Awesome" spin, not to mention the ones that spend a great part of the podcast talking about what they ate for lunch. I see alot of Howard Stern references, but his cadence reminds me more of Jim Rome.

The nod to Nate Shivers was also a nice touch.

#162 5 years ago

Fantastic show tonight at TPF !

A3AC5AC0-9319-43B5-8E51-740EEEA676DB (resized).jpegA3AC5AC0-9319-43B5-8E51-740EEEA676DB (resized).jpegE7DF79F3-A808-4319-9262-C2E58F2FE902 (resized).jpegE7DF79F3-A808-4319-9262-C2E58F2FE902 (resized).jpeg
#163 5 years ago

Is it just me or was EricM really down every time POTC won anything?

It’s a really strange situation. POTC seems poised to make a sales comeback, yet Jack announces end of sale at the show.

The whole thing feels like a bewildering leadership mess up, and Eric is taking it pretty hard.

Will he stay at JJP after all this?

#164 5 years ago

Congrats to Kaneda. He is clearly the best podcast, award well deserved. Had a nice conversation with him today, Chris is a good dude. A guy with an opinion or two. We dont always agree, but I sure am glad I have a great podcast to listen to. Nice work Kaneda.

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

It’s a really strange situation. POTC seems poised to make a sales comeback, yet Jack announces end of sale at the show.
The whole thing feels like a bewildering leadership mess up, and Eric is taking it pretty hard.
Will he stay at JJP?

I mean... he could just be tired...or sick...or not like public speaking...or a million other things. We have no clue what's going on.

#166 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Will he stay at JJP?

Stay tuned. I guess we'll find out.

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Will he stay at JJP after all this?

No doubt about it....he was pissed off.

#168 5 years ago
Quoted from CthulhuTilted:

I mean... he could just be tired...or sick...or not like public speaking...or a million other things. We have no clue what's going on.

Not a matter of not liking public speaking given past show appearances ... unless you mean not talking about games that have been ended prematurely.

#169 5 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

Congrats to Kaneda. He is clearly the best podcast, award well deserved. Had a nice conversation with him today, Chris is a good dude. A guy with an opinion or two. We dont always agree, but I sure am glad I have a great podcast to listen to. Nice work Kaneda.

I agree. He actually made a real acceptance speech and thanked some people who really deserved it. You can tell that he actually cares about winning the award. It would have been nice if some of the other award winners would have been there and showed some enthusiasm. I thought Zach and Greg did a bang up job on the show.

#170 5 years ago

Kaneda deserves his award because his podcast is the best.

He tells it like it is and I like that!

Congrats to Kaneda.

#171 5 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

The booing guy was an obnoxious douche who should have been removed by security.

They should have named and shamed him.

Wonder if it was someone from here?

#172 5 years ago
Quoted from koops:

They should have named and shamed him.
Wonder if it was someone from here?

Im sure we will find out soon enough who it was. News travels pretty fast online.

#173 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Stern really "showed up" btw - this guy Mike seems to be their representation for Texas....not a good look for them as it seems as if they don't care which they prob dont

You have no idea as usual.

Mike is a long term industry vet... was also a prime figure of stern at TPF and other shows last year... and said in their session yesterday he will be doing 10(iirc) shoes this year. He's a nice guy and real easy to talk to.

#174 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Kind of interesting that the back to back twipy award winning pinball podcaster is banned from the twipy award wining pinball website

Because life has consequences... no matter how many people click on your links.

If it came out tommorrow that he was a child molester.... people would turn on him in a heart beat. But instead people turn a blind eye to his atrocious behavior that was hateful and destructive because he he's a shock jock they enjoy. It's pretty sad actually and the state of our world.

#175 5 years ago

What an amazing award ceremony. The commitment and effort Zach and Greg made to raise the bar for pinball and this hobby we all Love was outstanding. They raised the bar for pinball with a huge touch of class and a passion we all feel for this hobby. I am confident this annual event will grow to new heights for many years to come and for that I thank them and also their supporting family. So wonderful to see All the incredibly hard working people at Every level in this hobby recognized and appreciated for what they do for us. Thank you Both, an absolutely amazing show you should be proud of as well as everyone that contributes to this hobby win or loose.

#176 5 years ago

That was really fun. It would’ve been nice if more Stern employees were there, but so it goes.

Hope they do it again next year. Good job, guys!

#177 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

If it came out tommorrow that he was a child molester.... people would turn on him in a heart beat. But instead people turn a blind eye to his atrocious behavior that was hateful and destructive because he he's a shock jock they enjoy. It's pretty sad actually and the state of our world.

Not sad at all. You can disapprove of someone’s behavior and still appreciate their podcast. I guarantee you this: every entertainment industry whether it’s film, music, art or even podcasts has tons of people who sometimes do really sh#%ty things. If you want to eliminate content from people whose actions you find deplorable, you’re going to have a lot fewer paintings, movies, songs, podcasts and even pinball machines...

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

Not sad at all. You can disapprove of someone’s behavior and still appreciate their podcast. I guarantee you this: every entertainment industry whether it’s film, music, art or even podcasts has tons of people who sometimes do really sh#%ty things. If you want to eliminate content from people whose actions you find deplorable, you’re going to have a lot fewer paintings, movies, songs, podcasts and even pinball machines...

You miss the part where his content and actions are the same thing here... not talking about his life outside his work etc. and the people were all directly involved and impacted.

People need to do their homework on what they believe is a credible pundit to follow. Like news these days... people seem to be following what makes their juices flow instead of actual credible or meaningful work.

#179 5 years ago

Wow, what an awesome show! This was the most fun I've had watching a live pinball related event (streamed it). Greg, Zach, and TWIP went all out with this show, awesome showmanship too guys! I enjoyed watching this show more then any other awards show on TV, it was just fun and a great way to celebrate pinball.

#180 5 years ago

Really great show! Thanks to everyone who made it happen, especially Jeff, Zach and Greg. Well done.

#181 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Wow, what an awesome show! This was the most fun I've had watching a live pinball related event (steamed it). Greg, Zach, and TWIP went all out with this show, awesome showmanship too guys! I enjoyed watching this show more then any other awards show on TV, it was just fun and a great way to celebrate pinball.

Definitely wasna fun show and what started out as something more for fun, has actually turned into something serious and that has meaning. People and manufacturers want to be recognized for their work and the Twipy's does just that. I bet Kieth Elwin and Stern are feeling pretty good about themselves right now, as they should for making a killer game in IMDN.

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Really great show! Thanks to everyone who made it happen, especially Jeff, Zach and Greg. Well done.

Zach may very well be the hardest working guy in pinball with his business and his show and all the editing that he does etc. He deserves a Twipy for that. The guy is dedicated!

#183 5 years ago

One more thing, there should be a TWIPY for "Biggest WTF Moment" and Chris Franchi can win after smashing / throwing ZombieYetis best artwork award. That was weird.

#184 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

If it came out tommorrow that he was a child molester.... people would turn on him in a heart beat.

Whats your point? Drop ANYONES name against something like that and people disassociate themselves quick smart, that is just the same everywhere for anything.

Would you not visit pinside anyone if it's founder was outed to be one?

#185 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

It was a joke, Zombie Yeti got the Twipy for best art but wasn't there to receive it. Franchi was on the stage to accept it, gave a short speech, broke the trophy and stormed off. Pretty hilarious.

That’s what prompted my duh fuh, just to close that loop.

#186 5 years ago

Best mod pinstadium again? Really?

#187 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Definitely wasna fun show and what started out as something more for fun, has actually turned into something serious and that has meaning. People and manufacturers want to be recognized for their work and the Twipy's does just that. I bet Kieth Elwin and Stern are feeling pretty good about themselves right now, as they should for making a killer game in IMDN.

Agree,

I know most take the Twipy's in jest, but really it is a celebration of achievement.

Sad that CF pood on ZY's award. I understand was in jest, but not really cool

Both Stern artists are awesome in their own way and I can't wait for JP and CF's next masterpieces

Zach and Greg put a lot of effort into the Twipy's so so respect is warranted.

So looking forward to next year and the amazing things to come

Pinball Forever !

#188 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You have no idea as usual.
Mike is a long term industry vet... was also a prime figure of stern at TPF and other shows last year... and said in their session yesterday he will be doing 10(iirc) shoes this year. He's a nice guy and real easy to talk to.

Oh flynnibus - thank you for enlightening me and the pinside community!

Please - don't even get me started.

I heard the snoozefest on Friday. I have no issue with the guy at all, seemed very nice. Open you ears though and maybe your eyes and you'll realize Mike isn't Keith. I remember Eric accepted for pirates - you know the guy who ACTUALLY DESIGNED the game! Did you know that Flynnbus? Or maybe you're too focused on lecturing everyone.

Sorry I'm not such a sucker like you and take whatever Stern gives us. I'm calling out like I always do. Continue boring the rest of us with your lectures and let me know once you figure out why Kaneda won - you're as usual tone deaf to what's actually happening here.

#189 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Party Pooper of the year - Eric, unfortunately

Eric from JJP? How was he a party pooper? Missed the show (but at TPF)

#190 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

He wasn't very talkative and didn't see m too happy getting his awards (4 of em I think?).

Of course we don't know the reason (could be anything, maybe something completely minor, maybe he just needed a nap) but the community decided he is kind of pissed, because they're allready halting PotC production.

Then again the only guy that wanted to hold an acceptance speech was K and he was kinda forced to cut it short... XD

For next year I'd wish for the nominees to be a bit more prepared.

#191 5 years ago

My Buddies Zach & Greg KILLED it last night! Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication to the pinball community. Production value was excellent. Your performance was spot on. Congratulations!!

#192 5 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

That’s what prompted my duh fuh, just to close that loop.

And my <cringe> it seemed staged and poorly acted. Loops closed. The nomination animations were nice.

#193 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Just like the top-400 rankings, I presume exposure is the #1 factor to getting votes...

If very few people got to play ACNC (and others), I presume that's why the same 3 were top-3 in every category...

I would have thought ACNC would have contended for animations and programming (and "cabinet art" if it were an isolated category)

Since these are open voting, then TWIPYS are a "people's choice" and will go with the best selling games that the most people have played. That makes it a 2 or 3 horse race. It is what it is.

The only way around it would be to completely change the format, and give awards from an "academy" of vetted voters, who have sworn that they have played every game. But that isn't a people's choice anymore.

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Since these are open voting, then TWIPYS are a "people's choice" and will go with the best selling games that the most people have played. That makes it a 2 or 3 horse race. It is what it is.

Not quite.

Just remember TNA last year or JJP in general getting a whole lot of recognition despite selling way less games then Stern.

But of course with games that really nearly noone played or even seen good footage of that last year, like Alice Cooper, noone is likely to vote for.

#195 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

he seemed pretty somber when winning awards and had a pretty dour attitude at the JJP seminar (which was a trainwreck in itself... but i digress).

maybe he just wasn't feeling it this weekend, didn't want to travel, wasn't feeling well, etc. but on streams when talking about Pirates he's usually a pretty upbeat guy. i think people were just noticing a different attitude from him and are speculating its because his game got pulled from the JJP line.

my thoughts:

great effort for the show by zach and greg. i direct live events for a living so i completely understand the challenges and this was a good job for the first time. the 'wide' camera was probably unnecessary and/or should have been operated by somebody so the angles and shots would have been more usable.

glad to see Iron Maiden win so much. It truly was the game of the year and I only wish Keith was there to get his awards in person and offer some thoughts/insights.

Kaneda podcast - love him or hate him - also deserved to win. he also gave a classy acceptance speech that appeared more professional than pretty much anybody else.

amazing that some 'grown ups' in the room decided to boo him. what a joke.

#196 5 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

My Buddies Zach &amp; Greg KILLED it last night! Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication to the pinball community. Production value was excellent. Your performance was spot on. Congratulations!!

Was hoping you would be here

#197 5 years ago

Question regarding Eric;

Are the designers paid a flat rate or is their pay contingent on how many machines are sold?

If the answer is the latter, I understand why he was pissed.

#198 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

One more thing, there should be a TWIPY for "Biggest WTF Moment" and Chris Franchi can win after smashing / throwing ZombieYetis best artwork award. That was weird.

Google kayne Taylor Swift Grammys

#199 5 years ago

He was showing that exact same body language and attitude once before.
When the investor pulled the plug on chest and 3ring setup and Eric had to make the announcement alone while Jack was on business travels in Australia.
They threw him under the bus.

And now history repeats, in a sense, but this time in public at one of the biggest events and none at JJP were seemingly able to reel him in.
On the one hand I love that he 'cannot be bought' and that he is sooo full of passion for what he does, on the other hand I want him to stay at JJP and am concerned.

Hence another thing is true as well. Most billionaires don't put up with BS, either.

Btw, POTCCE owner here, I love his work, want him to stay and cannot wait for his GNR.

#200 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Oh flynnibus - thank you for enlightening me and the pinside community!
Please - don't even get me started.
I heard the snoozefest on Friday. I have no issue with the guy at all, seemed very nice. Open you ears though and maybe your eyes and you'll realize Mike isn't Keith. I remember Eric accepted for pirates - you know the guy who ACTUALLY DESIGNED the game! Did you know that Flynnbus? Or maybe you're too focused on lecturing everyone.
Sorry I'm not such a sucker like you and take whatever Stern gives us.

Who goes to the shows has ALWAYS been shaped by the work schedule going on. They have a job to do.

You seriously think everyone mentioned by a podcasters self driven thing in just its second year should change their real world priorities to bend to it?

You are in fantasy land as usual. Instead of making up stuff to fill in what you don't know, just accept you don't know and maybe try to get informed

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
There are 440 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-twipy-pinball-awards-a-celebration-of-the-hobby-coming-soon/page/4?hl=jerryuop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.