Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are you shocked”

• Yes 2 votes
      6%
    • Not really 24 votes
      67%
    • Haven't met you on pinside 10 votes
      28%

(36 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 11 years ago

You maybe a bit shocked but I am a 13 year old pinhead I am mad about pinball if my mate said wanna play a video game I would rather chose pinball. My father owns the machines I do the talking on pinside and help him find parts which he carnt find through here I usually help him out replacing bulbs, testing the coils , lamps and flashers ect.
    If you are shocked I don't blame you. I know too much about pinball and I glad I do
    If I have contacted you about buying machines which my dad carnt afford I am deeply sorry
    I know the pricing of the machines so I'm not a newbie I have been intreaged since 2006 just treat me like any other pinsider on here.
    I am thinking when I do get the chance to buy a car it will go second pinball first

#2 11 years ago

Cool story, bro.

#3 11 years ago

I may be a kid but I talk like a adult pinhead on here that means I know too much knowledge

#4 11 years ago

Bump

#5 11 years ago

Not sure of the reason behind this post.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from Deadpool66:

Not sure of the reason behind this post.

The thread was originally called the story behind pinballgeek

#7 11 years ago

I'm 13 too!

#8 11 years ago

Was good to meet you at the league meet, no my Tron LE isn't for sale but come play it as I'm hosting the next meet.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballgeek:

I'm not a newbie I have been intreaged since 2006

Wow an intreaged 7 year old about pinball. I believe I was still peeing on my bed at 7.

-Rev

#10 11 years ago

"intreagued", huh? maybe he should spend less time honing his pinball knowledge and more in the classroom...

once upon a time, i learned that when i thought i knew a lot about something, i actually knew much less than i thought it did... hopefully the op will learn that lesson as well...

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

"intreagued", huh? maybe he should spend less time honing his pinball knowledge and more in the classroom...
    once upon a time, i learned that when i thought i knew a lot about something, i actually knew much less than i thought it did... hopefully the op will learn that lesson as well...

Or maybe he'll learn from this forum that he doesn't want to be a pinball adult because the current pinball adults condescend to him like that.

My son is a very competitive league player, is also 13, and the Boston area pinheads have treated him very well. The kid lives and breathes pinball and loves it in a way that I probably never will.

#12 11 years ago

^^^

one would assume you have taught your son not to show up at those events and tell everyone how smart he is, and when everyone does him the favor of ignoring him the first time, coming back and repeating himself... i doubt he'd be very well accepted by other people, whether they are pinheads or not...

the condescending tone of my post was earned and deserved...

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

"intreagued", huh? maybe he should spend less time honing his pinball knowledge and more in the classroom.

Honestly I do we'll in the classroom pinball is kinda of a hobby I enjoy. Just knowing info on pinball doesn't mean it affects my school work

#14 11 years ago

That's awesome Pinballgeek. I think it's great you love pinball and know a ton about it. You picked a great avatar, can't wait till Stern releases their version of Star Trek.

#15 11 years ago

Honestly some are taking this not seriously I maybe 13 but I least I have more common sense than more people on this forum (doesn't apply to everyone some are just great kid people on here )

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

That's awesome Pinballgeek. I think it's great you love pinball and know a ton about it. You picked a great Avatar, can't wait till Stern releases their version of Star Trek.

Don't like the price rise by stern hey that's just life everything's getting expensive
    Good that LS SR are working on it

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

^^^
    one would assume you have taught your son not to show up at those events and tell everyone how smart he is, and when everyone does him the favor of ignoring him the first time, coming back and repeating himself... i doubt he'd be very well accepted by other people, whether they are pinheads or not...

This WAS a positive thread... Don't let another's spelling and grammatical errors ruin your day. Condescending tones are usually not "earned and deserved".

It's nice to see kids interested in this hobby.

#18 11 years ago

Why does this thread need to be deleted?

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

^^^

Seriously? He's 13, back off

Pinballgeek I commend you for taking up what can be a daunting hobby.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Why does this thread need to be deleted?

Oh! I think I know this one...

This thread needs to be deleted because 7 8 9!

#21 11 years ago

enjoy the hobby and invite more of your friends to join . i think what you are doing is great

#22 11 years ago

True i will cary on this thread some are shocked that I know more than them at this age the first question my father asked me do you want a pinball or a car
    If I chose pinball at a decent cash, refurb it make money than continue doing that so that I have enough to buy a car and a pinball I would like to own.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

I know its daunting I do have the cash in my bank which the money goes toward I'm 18 and so far I can get a wcs if its a hobby I like thats what I will do and hope to make a living out of it

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

invite more of your friends to join . i think what you are doing is great

There jealous and think its stupid and rather play video games

#25 11 years ago

@Pinballgeek

I think what you're doing is great. Remember, for years now there hasn't been anyone "new" in pinball design and operation. I think its more important now than ever for the future of pinball to get people with new ways of thinking into pinball, so with that, I welcome you into the hobby.

I'm 25, and when I was a kid (6-11), I made pinball machines out of cardboard boxes (the kinds that reams of printer paper ship in) with marbles and christmas lights for pinballs and insert lighting. I didn't know much about the parts or the technology behind pinball at the time because my family couldn't afford a machine, but I replicated it the best I could. I knew a lot about the gameplay and WHAT the experience was supposed to be like, though I may not have been as vocal as you. Fast forward several years and I get back into the hobby and start buying my own machines, then I learn, at 20-21 nonetheless, what you know at age 13. Fast forward a few years and the unthinkable starts to happen... I'm able to talk to the designers of the very games I spent all my money playing as a kid, I'm able to give ASSISTANCE to these people in terms of software design... fast forward a little more, and you see yourself covered in the Pinball News...

So yeah, I guess all I can say is... DANG, I wish I got started with the ownership of physical machines at that age... or at least I wish my parents would've been able to afford me the opportunity as a kid to have a machine... nonetheless, I'm still thankful for my cardboard cutouts and such (maybe I was the original Caines Arcade? hmmm).

Welcome to the hobby, and I look forward to your future pinball endeavors as you learn more and more about the wonderful technology and the hobby that surrounds it.

#26 11 years ago

then find different friends

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

then find different friends

That's what the kid is doing here.

#28 11 years ago

Great! Welcome!!

#29 11 years ago

Wasn't looking for friends on here but many think it seems that way and I'm fine

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballgeek:

my father asked me do you want a pinball or a car

BUT, when you get that car...make sure it can fit a pinball machine...

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

That's awesome Pinballgeek. I think it's great you love pinball and know a ton about it. You picked a great Avatar, can't wait till Stern releases their version of Star Trek.

I do like watching Star Trek tng,ds9,and the original series and do like the upcoming movie hope I do get to eventually see it soon and hope whats going to be cool to see in the pin after watching it

#32 11 years ago

I'm 21 here, and I certainly have gained friends and info here like you will. Nice to know I'm not the youngest anymore on here.

#33 11 years ago

Yah, me to. But how old are you in the real world kwiKi?

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballgeek:

and hope to make a living out of it

Don't plan on that. Keep it a hobby. You'll enjoy pinball and life much more.

I was into pinball when I was about 12-13 as well. By 15 I put $200 towards a Bally Atlantis. Cleaned it up, enjoyed it, sold it for $800, bought a non-working LW3 for $300. By 17-18 I was into WPC-95 machines like Scared Stiff and even Medieval Madness (only $2500 or so back then). Fast forward to today and I have an amusement company and started selling pins again about 3 years ago after about a 5 year hiatus. I've sold thousands of Megatouch games and video games and now hundreds of pins. But take it from me, selling pins as a business will wear you down quickly. People expect more from you, people don't trust you the same, and when a switch gets stuck closed after the machine is moved (and you should know how often that sort of thing happens) your customer will want you to drive out to their house and not only fix it, but go over the rest of the machine "just one more time to make sure everything is OK".

My advice...enjoy the hobby, keep it a hobby, enjoy any profits and pay your taxes on it without forming a company.

And stay in school!

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yah, me to. But how old are you in the real world kwiKi?

Oh come on, we met in person!

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

yes, seriously... completely and totally serious...

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

My advice...enjoy the hobby, keep it a hobby, enjoy any profits and pay your taxes on it without forming a company.

Respect your elders....

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Don't plan on that. Keep it a hobby. You'll enjoy pinball and life much more.
    I was into pinball when I was about 12-13 as well. By 15 I put $200 towards a Bally Atlantis. Cleaned it up, enjoyed it, sold it for $800, bought a non-working LW3 for $300. By 17-18 I was into WPC-95 machines like Scared Stiff and even Medieval Madness (only $2500 or so back then). Fast forward to today and I have an amusement company and started selling pins again about 3 years ago after about a 5 year hiatus. I've sold thousands of Megatouch games and video games and now hundreds of pins. But take it from me, selling pins as a business will wear you down quickly. People expect more from you, people don't trust you the same, and when a switch gets stuck closed after the machine is moved (and you should know how often that sort of thing happens) your customer will want you to drive out to their house and not only fix it, but go over the rest of the machine "just one more time to make sure everything is OK".

Thanks for that I will keep that in mind

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Oh come on, we met in person!

Just funnin' with you kwiKi, you've got pop culture knowledge of someone a little older, say my age.

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

yes, seriously... completely and totally serious...

But are you serious??

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Respect your elders....

They don't want my dad to have another pin they say "what another pin do you have enough"
    My response you can never have enough pins in life.

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

you've got pop culture knowledge of someone a little older, say my age

Thanks for the wonderful comment. 80's and 90's are my gigantic speciality.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballgeek:

My response you can never have enough pins in life.

You are wise beyond your years...

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

80's and 90's are my gigantic speciality.

70s would have been mine, if I could only remember...................

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-truth-about-pinballgeek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.