(Topic ID: 100974)

The true meaning of the terms FIRM and OBO?

By Piparoo

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

this.gif
    photo 3.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    CG4.jpg
    CG1.jpg
    Oboe_modern.jpg
    breast firm.jpg
    imagesCAL1K3KJ.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Piparoo:

I always pass by sales that include the word FIRM, always. Whether it's pins, craigslist, or the antique shop, when a price tag says FIRM, to me it signals that:
    (1) the item is likely overpriced,
    (2) the seller is very, very proud of it, and
    (3) the seller is likely a tool and won't be pleasant to work with.

So if I listed my Tron LE for sale at $4000.00 FIRM you would pass it by?

That makes YOU the tool, not the seller.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Piparoo:

How many FIRM sales do you come across that are priced well below market value? My experience has been that those types of sales are the minority.

I've seen my share of FIRM sales that were listed at very fair prices.

I just think it's silly to say that you ALWAYS pass those sales up simply because it has the word "firm" in it.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I think we are suggesting you might be forming preconceptions that are harming you. Oh well. More deals for the rest of us.

That's exactly my point.

Like the phrase "cut off your nose to spite your face".

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

In the gun business, it's pretty well known that any modifications you make to a firearm are YOUR mods, and no one else is going to pay you for them. I don't see why a pin would be any different... just because you like adding shitty toys to the playfield doesn't mean that anyone else wants them or should be expected to pay for them.

If a potential buyer thinks the pin has shitty toys on it, then they shouldn't consider adding any value for them...obviously.

But if a pin has mods on it that a potential buyer likes, for example a Color DMD, why would they NOT be expected to pay a premium for that?

#91 9 years ago

I'll admit that one does bug the crap out of me.

Day one: "$5800.00 FIRM"

Day two: "Bump"

Day three: "New lower price: $5500.00"

#113 9 years ago
    Quoted from Piparoo:

Who knew this would be so provocative? The observation I was trying to make is that the inclusion of the terms FIRM and OBO in a for sale listing may influence buyer perceptions above and beyond what those terms literally mean. In that regard, the phrase "buy it now" (at least for me) is nothing at all like the term FIRM, even if the hoped for result on the part of the seller is the same.

Too much psychobabble.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-true-meaning-of-the-terms-firm-and-obo?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.