(Topic ID: 100974)

The true meaning of the terms FIRM and OBO?

By Piparoo

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

this.gif
    photo 3.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    CG4.jpg
    CG1.jpg
    Oboe_modern.jpg
    breast firm.jpg
    imagesCAL1K3KJ.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider piparoo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I've been thinking about how much the wording of a for sale listing can influence my willingness to make an offer at full asking price or to move on without attempting to buy. I've realized that, at least for me, the terms FIRM and OBO send powerful signals about the seller.

I always pass by sales that include the word FIRM, always. Whether it's pins, craigslist, or the antique shop, when a price tag says FIRM, to me it signals that:
    (1) the item is likely overpriced,
    (2) the seller is very, very proud of it, and
    (3) the seller is likely a tool and won't be pleasant to work with.

As for OBO, no matter how fairly it's priced, if the term OBO is included I'm not going to offer asking price. It signals that:
    (1) the seller doesn't know what the true value of their item is and they are fishing,
    (2) desperation to sell, pure and simple

Am I way off base here?
    For me, negotiating is one of the more fun parts of buying/collecting anything and I think it's interesting that subtle cues in wording play such a powerful role in influencing my willingness to buy/offer.

#7 9 years ago

I agree with all of the above comments. For me though, when a price is marked as FIRM, it doesn't matter what the price is, fair or otherwise, I end up passing because of how I perceive the seller.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Ha! So you'd pass right by a collector quality TZ priced at $2000, firm?

Well, TZ is not my favorite game, so I would have to say yes, I would pass on that. Thing is, in my experience, the majority of sellers indicating FIRM in their listings, and I'm not just talking about pin sales, are priced high to begin with. It is seldom that a FIRM price is a cheap or fair price--again anecdotal experience.

Quoted from flashinstinct:

FIRM = Low ballers and negotiators stay clear.

Who sells or buys anything without some expectation of negotiation? It's not a hassle to negotiate. In the end, a successful negotiation makes both parties feel better about a transaction than otherwise. It's a scientific fact

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

So if I listed my TRON LE for sale at $4000.00 FIRM you would pass it by?
    That makes YOU the tool, not the seller.

How many FIRM sales do you come across that are priced well below market value? My experience has been that those types of sales are the minority.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I've seen my share of FIRM sales that were listed at very fair prices.
    I just think it's silly to say that you ALWAYS pass those sales up simply because it has the word "firm" in it.

It may be. I'm not trying to argue that my behavior is right or another person's behavior is wrong. I'm observing that when a seller indicates FIRM it conjures up for me perceptions of the seller--none of which are particularly favorable.

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

My time is my most valuable asset. Plus i hate haggling and negotiating, it's all just ego BS. I'd much rather set a fair price, find an interested party, and move on. But everyone's gotta start out with lowball offers so they don't feel like they're getting taken. Such a dumb dance.

I think I may've sidetracked the conversation by mentioning that I enjoy negotiating. My question, for those of you who are using the word FIRM in your sales, do you think it helps you more than simply indicating the price, without indicating FIRM, OBO or anything else?

If the item is priced fairly, you're going to get full asking price anyway, so why bother to indicate FIRM, which may send some people an unfavorable signal?

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from Grinder901:

I think the OP sounds close minded and too hung up on the subtle meanings of words.

Why get personal? I think it's interesting to discuss how these terms may influence buyer/seller perceptions and behavior. I also recognize that others may not be interested or may completely disagree.

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from Grinder901:

Go back to your original post under number 3. Calling people tools for using the word Firm? Cool. I'll be removing it from my listing and can't wait to hear your offer.

I don't know how talking about the perception of "a hypothetical seller" is personally directed at anyone.

#94 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

So I take it you never buy anything on eBay using "Buy it Now"?

How does my discussing the interpretation and intent of the term FIRM have anything to do an ebay listing having a Buy it Now price?

#103 9 years ago

Who knew this would be so provocative? The observation I was trying to make is that the inclusion of the terms FIRM and OBO in a for sale listing may influence buyer perceptions above and beyond what those terms literally mean. In that regard, the phrase "buy it now" (at least for me) is nothing at all like the term FIRM, even if the hoped for result on the part of the seller is the same.

#105 9 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

Do you have a suggestion on a way to word it that wouldn't offend you? If I wanted in one or two words to get across the point that I want to sell this game for X amount and if no one wants to pay that I am fine with keeping it. That doesn't mean the price is inflated, it just simply means I won't accept any offers lower than that so I am trying to help you save your time and mine.

Ha! As many have already suggested in this thread, it doesn't matter much if I get offended (which I don't). I'm just some schmo. I was just wondering if it helps any to add the word FIRM. When I sell something, I tend to just indicate the price without any additional language. But I don't really care if I get lowballers, so I'm not concerned with language to try and weed them out. If it's priced right, it sells at the asking price. I thank lowballers for their offers and move on.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider piparoo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-true-meaning-of-the-terms-firm-and-obo?tu=piparoo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.