(Topic ID: 100974)

The true meaning of the terms FIRM and OBO?

By Piparoo

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

this.gif
    photo 3.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    CG4.jpg
    CG1.jpg
    Oboe_modern.jpg
    breast firm.jpg
    imagesCAL1K3KJ.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 9 years ago

My time is my most valuable asset. Plus i hate haggling and negotiating, it's all just ego BS. I'd much rather set a fair price, find an interested party, and move on. But everyone's gotta start out with lowball offers so they don't feel like they're getting taken. Such a dumb dance.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from SilverballNut:

I usually don't reply to FIRM offers unless I want to pay that much and it seems fair. Probably what they intended
    For the OBO I always assume they'll listen, but won't necessarily take an unreasonable offer even if they could be waiting a year for a better one...

Yeah, FIRM seems designed to limit the number of responses you get to only those who aren't gonna waste your time, while OBO seems designed to open the floodgates to all tire kickers. Just depends on your goals I guess.

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from Piparoo:

I think I may've sidetracked the conversation by mentioning that I enjoy negotiating. My question, for those of you who are using the word FIRM in your sales, do you think it helps you more than simply indicating the price, without indicating FIRM, OBO or anything else?
    If the item is priced fairly, you're going to get full asking price anyway, so why bother to indicate FIRM, which may send some people an unfavorable signal?

I disagree that pricing the item fairly will stop people from low balling you. But stating "firm" might reduce the number of such offers. That would be why I used it. Disclosure - have not sold a pin myself yet so what do I know!

#60 9 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

In the gun business, it's pretty well known that any modifications you make to a firearm are YOUR mods, and no one else is going to pay you for them. I don't see why a pin would be any different... just because you like adding shitty toys to the playfield doesn't mean that anyone else wants them or should be expected to pay for them.

a lot of hobbies are like that, and it makes sense. but then so does a product going considerably down in value once it's used. we'll get there.

#78 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

That's a fair response! But there are people who just want a game that plays, and there are people who want it to look amazing as well. (Those are probably people like me who have a wife who says "what the f**k is that THING???" if the machine doesn't go well with the purdy furniture.) It's not easy, man...

I hear ya

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-true-meaning-of-the-terms-firm-and-obo?tu=pezpunk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.